Hekker First Down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

James Otto

Starter
I just can't get over this one. In actual speed, it looked pretty clear that he got it. With the challenge, there was 100% clear evidence on the replay that he got it. As a fan, I'm not sure how to accept this nonsense - it's a serious issue to the fan that tunes in each week. Mind-boggling.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i can't believe it. i can't believe there's no uproar about that decision in the media. to them he was just tackled short.

the nfl really must have the media by the balls. it's something i've noticed since i started watching the sport. the commentators do not talk about the refs and their horrible decisions. hardly ever reported. the calls/non calls that opposing team receive in a game. not a word.

Bearrister

Rookie
Yeah I absolutely dont get this call. It wasn’t even close. I’d love to hear an explanation from the replay official. Their were multiple angles that clearly showed the ball well past the marker when Hekkers knee went down. The broadcasting crew said that all 3 of them (Aikman, Buck, and Mike Perera) all thought the call would be overturned.

It’s one thing to miss it in real time, but inexcusable to miss it during a review.

TexasRam

Legend
I aint crying over spilled milk because the games that matter are the playoffs.

But there is no doubt Hekker made that first down. When I see a missed call after a review this bad it really has me listening to those that think the games are fixed.

The holding on Cooks on 4th down and even last week against the Packers are pretty dam evident. Either the refs are bad or their is something smelly going on with the NFL.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
It's translated in the explanation. "After further review, the play stands".

What it means is we spotted the ball wrong but we aren't going to fix it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Usually, Mike Pereira tries to cover for the refs when he disagrees with their call. He'll state his opinion, and if it goes the opposite direction, he explains why they differed and why it is acceptable for them to see it that way. This time, he had nothing. It was an unjustifiable call. The man literally said he couldn't explain how they let it stand. I warned y'all that crew would screw us if they were given an opportunity.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The non-call on Peat's clear false start was awful as well.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I actually think this play was really close.

During the game, I was livid because I thought it was pretty obvious that Hekker made it. But after re-watching it in slo-mo a few times, it was closer than I thought.

A couple key questions: 1. When did Hekker’s shin touch the ground? It’s possible his shin on either leg touched the ground slightly before he slid out of bounds. Hekker would be down instantly at that point because #52 on Saints pushed him. 2. How accurate was the line-to-gain on that side of the field? The guy holding the chain had to move slightly to get out of Johnny’s way.

Below is a pic that suggests the football was right AT the 12 when his shin was down.
BC93E83E-161E-4064-90BB-6F7BD0E98801.jpeg

I still think it was a bad call, but it was closer than I originally thought.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well the problem is that they marked it where his knee was down, just short of the marker instead of where he extended the ball which is past the marker.

They just plain got the call wrong seemingly on purpose.

I hope that the "parity police" leave us TF alone now that they fixed it so that no one is undefeated.

It's all bullshit.

As much as I love my Rams, if the refs are going to steer the outcome so that this is basically wrestling, then I'll just peace out.

It's getting obnoxious how brazen the NFL is getting with their "narratives". When the media seems to know the story of the game before it's been played every dang week, it's not that they're psychic, it's that they've been let in on the story.

And to be clear, I don't want the Rams to win based on some "narrative".

I want to root for a sport based SOLELY on the talent of the participants. That's it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Below is a pic that suggests the football was right AT the 12 when his shin was down.

I don’t know. If his shin is at the 11.5 yard line... wouldn’t his arm be longer than 1/2 yard?

I would say the ball should be spotted near the 12.5.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

During the game, I was livid because I thought it was pretty obvious that Hekker made it. But after re-watching it in slo-mo a few times, it was closer than I thought.

A couple key questions: 1. When did Hekker’s shin touch the ground? It’s possible his shin on either leg touched the ground slightly before he slid out of bounds. Hekker would be down instantly at that point because #52 on Saints pushed him. 2. How accurate was the line-to-gain on that side of the field? The guy holding the chain had to move slightly to get out of Johnny’s way.

View attachment 26943

i don't like stills. it looked like a 1st down live then on every replay they showed. they suck.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As much as I love my Rams, if the refs are going to steer the outcome so that this is basically wrestling, then I'll just peace out.

It's getting obnoxious how brazen the NFL is getting with their "narratives". When the media seems to know the story of the game before it's been played every dang week, it's not that they're psychic, it's that they've been let in on the story.

And to be clear, I don't want the Rams to win based on some "narrative".

I want to root for a sport based SOLELY on the talent of the participants. That's it.
Yeah, this has been getting to me in recent years. The NFL is looking more and more like it is staged and it breaks my heart. To be clear, the NFL lists itself as "Sports Entertainment", as opposed to a genuinely contested sport. Click this link at your peril and don't attack me for googling "NFL Sports entertainment", lol.....

https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...heories-is-the-nfl-broken-because-its-fi.html

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

just looked at it again. they marked it a yard short. and upheld it after all the evidence showed they got it wrong. fuckwits.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The man literally said he couldn't explain how they let it stand. I warned y'all that crew would screw us if they were given an opportunity.

And that's why I knew they would not overturn it, I told the several Ram fans I was watching with, they will say it was not conclusive because of the knee going down, even though the arm was outstretched. I knew it, however, doesn't the replay official have the say in that scenario and not the Vinovich?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

View attachment 26943

That's a bad angle to judge the placement of the ball and if it was the only one I would say no he didn't make it. But with the aerial view it's clear his hand was extended and it was an easy call

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Oh this still burns me. A blind man could see it was a first down. I thought he had it when I saw it at regular speed but when they showed the replay from different angles there was no doubt in my mind. That ref had to talk himself into that by believing he saw something he did not see. I hope we do not see that crew again.

That could have changed the whole flow of the game.

Why have replay if it becomes meaningless?

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
You guys are hilarious. The refs and the NFL are out to get us

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
You guys are hilarious. The refs and the NFL are out to get us

Well, I don't know about all that but if you watch THIS particular play, I don't know how you can see anything but a 1st down. Is it incompetence on the officials part? If so--that may be just as bad. But it is hard to explain how he can make that call. Conspiracy theories aside. How does he make that call?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
As much as I see the controversy on this call, if we erase the mental lapses of missed tackles and poor coverage, we win this game. That is what Superbowl champions do.