Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo, DC Ken Flajole, OC Josh McDaniel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shaky

Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo, DC Ken Flajole, OC Josh McDaniels, RB Steven Jackson
------------

Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo-Post Practice
December 21, 2011

(Opening Statement)
“There’s really no injury changes. The only guy that was back that wasn’t here yesterday was (WR) Brandon Lloyd, you know he didn’t feel well. I think (OL) Harvey Dahl gutted through some illness today too, but he stayed out there and got most of the practice in. Other than that I’ll just open it up and let you fire away.”

----
full: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ramsfans.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.ramsfans.com</a>

Shaky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Head Coach Mike Tomlin –Conference Call

Head Coach Mike Tomlin –Conference Call
December 21, 2011

(On how he handles the short work week)
“We’re taking a similar approach that we took on Thursday night in that, obviously we’ve got to be smart about how we work. We’ve got to work both hard and smart, not overly concerned about it. We’ve been in this situation a number of times over the last several years and generally our guys are pretty good at understanding the ladder of preparation, work that has to be done above the neck in order to put us in the best position to perform. They generally do a nice job of that. Obviously, we’re not going to take it for granted and assume that’s the case, but we’re just at the beginning portions of our week in terms of the work we need to do for the game.”

(On QB Ben Roethlisberger’s status for the game)
“I think he’s doing relatively well all things considered. Of course, we’re taking his status and his injury on a day-to-day approach. We haven’t done anything physical today, but I know when he came in he was encouraged about how he at least felt.”

(On if it’s tougher to have Roethlisberger sit out versus other players)
“We really don’t kind of view it in that way. Really, we just first lean on the expert advice of our medical staff and if they deem him worthy, healthy enough to play, then of course we go from there. Generally, if that’s the answer that we get, they play regardless of position.”

(On DE Ziggy Hood’s growth as a player)
“Besides some of the things that are probably uninteresting, he’s grown and developed technically of course as a player. Ziggy’s a hard working guy. He’s earned the respect of all of his teammates because of how he works. He’s very consistent in that and because of that I think he’s improved and he has a chance to be a really good player for us. I know everyone is optimistic about what he is capable of being.”

(On what he liked about Hood coming out of college)
“His motor was attractive, a guy that plays hard, that’s a good place to begin. He had a nice skill set or pedigree, as we like to call it. All those things are interesting, but probably the most interesting thing was just his overall work ethic and approach to football, not only in terms of what we were able to see on tape, but the words that were spoken about him by teammates and coaches and people at the University of Missouri.”

(On if he saw Hood as more of a inside linemen or an end)
“We knew he was potentially position flexible, but of course being a 3-4 team when we had drafted him, we envisioned him being a defensive end.”

(On what challenges the Rams present offensively and defensively)
“I think offensively it starts with trying to slow down and contain (RB) Steven Jackson. Of course we’ve got a great deal of respect for him. He needs no endorsement from me, his resume speaks for itself. I think this guy’s closing in on seven straight 1,000-yard seasons. He’s the Rams all-time leading rusher. When you think about the men that have carried the ball for that franchise, I think that speaks for itself. Both in the run and the passing game, this guy’s a dangerous guy in the screen game, he’s a dangerous guy in the check downs. We’ve got to do a good job of dealing with him and trying to contain and minimize what he does to us. Of course defensively, man they’ve got some exciting young guys. Guys like (DE Chris) Long, who of course has 13 sacks and we have to account for him. We’ve got a young right tackle in Marcus Gilbert, so he’s going to have his hands full with Long. Of course (MLB James) Laurinaitis man, is a sideline-to-sideline tackle guy. I’ll tell you, we’ve been really impressed with what we’ve seen from (S Darian) Stewart on tape too, the young safety out of South Carolina. He’s consistently physical and productive and we respect what we’ve seen from him thus far.”

(On CB Josh Gordy)
“He’s displayed great short area quickness, getting in and out of stuff, some of the awkward, unanticipated movements that come with the cornerback position. It’s obvious that he has a quality skill set in that regard and has been able to make some plays because of it.”

(On if he has to tell his team not to take the Rams lightly)
“No. We respect everyone that we play and prepare for. We recognize that their all professionals and capable of course of winning. We don’t need any reminders of what they’re capable of. We’ve all seen the video of what they did to New Orleans.”

(On OLB LaMarr Woodley’s status)
“We just wanted to kind of keep a handle on a number of snaps that he was getting coming back into the football game, of course being out there an extended period of time. We’re comfortable that he’s going to be OK long term, moving forward.”

(On RB Rashard Mendenhall’s progress this season)
“He’s been solid, hard working young man, does everything that we ask him to do. Of course, he’s done a nice job running the football for us for a number of years. We like the way he’s improved in all areas as a pass protector, as a route runner, as a ball receiver. He’s done a nice job.”

(On OLB James Harrison looking forward to getting back to playing)
“You know that guy loves to play football, so obviously he will be excited about getting an opportunity to do it this weekend.”

(On what it’s like to be the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers)
“I embrace the expectation that comes with this job, I do. We have here what you can’t buy of course, which is legacy. It’s a great compass for us in terms of expectations. We respect and appreciate being part of something that is bigger than us and that’s time tested. All we want to do is add to it.”

Steelers DE Ziggy Hood-Conference Call
December 21, 2011

(On how he’s enjoyed playing for Pittsburgh)
“It’s been a fun ride and I’m blessed to have this opportunity to play with this group of guys and to work under these coaches. It’s just been amazing for what they have done for me and what all I can do for them when it comes, playing game-wise and stuff like that. It’s just been a very positive vibe for them.”

(On how he has improved in his time in the NFL)
“I think my technique has gotten ten times better. You can see a dramatic change from my first year to now to where I can handle double teams now or shedding blockers or getting back to the QB. All of the little things that make a 3-4 defensive end, I think I’m starting to come through at that end.”

(On the biggest changes he has had to make from being a defensive tackle in college)
“Well really engaging in blockers and holding them at the point of attack and really not letting myself get too carried off like I’ve got to be the guy that makes the play. I’ve got to understand this defense is made for linebackers and I’ve got to understand that if I hold this gap or hold this point of attack and my linebackers come through then that’s a plus for everybody. If I try to do too much or try to be selfish then that hurts the team.”

(On WR Danario Alexander and him producing through his injuries)
“I respect the guy for doing what he’s doing. It’s not easy to have everybody saying that you can’t do it, saying try something else or you’re injury prone to get hurt in this league. But he stayed in, he fought through it. He worked at it. Injuries we can’t control but he’s a guy that when I first met him he was young, but I knew he was going to be something special if he kept working. He’s seemed to prove it so far and I’m glad to see him doing well. He’ll get a chance to show what he’s got come this Saturday.”

(On the three Mizzou defensive lineman that are first round picks in the NFL and what makes Missouri’s system turn out such good D-lineman)
“I just think that it comes from all the coaching up there. (Missouri Defensive line) Coach (Craig) Kuligowski has done a great job with the D-line, especially with me and (49ers LB) Aldon (Smith). And then I think he’s got a couple more guys coming out in this year’s draft. I just think it goes back to who they’re recruiting and what they’re doing up there. They’re giving the guys the opportunity to showcase themselves on TV.”

(On if he takes a lot of pride in Mizzou players producing in the NFL)
“Of course. You also can’t forget about (Jaguars QB) Blaine Gabbert, (TE) Chase Coffman with Cincinnati. There’s a lot of guys running around in the league. At first you didn’t see too many Missouri guys and stuff like that, but then all of the sudden once the ’05 class hit, got drafted, it just erupted from there. Guys like (CB) Kevin Rutland from Jacksonville that’s making a splash up there when he gets an opportunity. It’s just amazing to see what Missouri guys are doing, producing out there.”

(On what it’s like playing in Pittsburgh and if he is recognized around town)
“If you do your job right, people will recognize you. They know who you are and they respect what you do out there because this game is not an easy game to play. It takes a toll on your body and Pittsburgh is a blue collar city. They’re either working or doing whatever they can to get by. The fans out here are crazy, they’re nuts. We love them out here and I wouldn’t be any other place but here.”

(On if he owns any Terrible Towels)
“Of course. I own about three Terrible Towels. I own a pink one, a black one and an original yellow one that they have. They’re just special to me for what I have in my man cave.”

(On if they are hanging in his man cave)
“They’re all hanging up down there.”

(On if he lives in the Pittsburgh area permanently)
“Yeah I don’t have a home back in Texas. I’m financially stable and stuff and if I’m blessed with a second contract then I can start looking at where I’m going spend the rest of my life at, but right now my home is Pittsburgh and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

(On what else he has in his man cave)
“I’ve got my TV, got my couches. Me and my wife just moved in the house about a month and a half ago, so right now we’re slowly getting things in. Trying to find different things to put in there.”

(On how big his TV is)
“Just a simple 42 inch. If you put it on something high enough and you get close to it, it can look like a 60 inch.”

(On if it is a flat screen)
“Yeah, definitely. No big back in the back.”

(On how long he has been married)
“About a year. I want to say about a year and half right now.”

(On RB Steven Jackson and the problems he presents)
“He’s a hard runner and he’s tough to get down. It may take two or three guys to get him down, but as long as you’ve got 11 guys flying to ball anybody can be brought down in this league. So we have to do our job, especially on D-line, play our keys, stay in our gaps, and make sure we hold point of attack and allow our playmakers to make plays.”

(On how tough the short week is)
“We take care of our bodies, get them back to where we need to be, but really it all becomes a mental game now. If you focus real hard in and you go out there and practice, even though we don’t have pads on, you focus on it real hard and you go through your steps mentally, when it comes to game time you’ll be better prepared for it.”

(On his work ethic and where that came from)
“I always wanted to be the guy that wanted to work. I’m not blessed with too many things, but one thing that God did give me, he gave me heart and determination. That’s one thing I take pride in. I’m going to work at it. If I didn’t achieve it this year, I’m going to achieve it next year. I’m going to do whatever it takes to work at it and get better.”

(On what it was like playing in a Super Bowl)
“It’s an experience that you have to be at for yourself. It’s too hard to explain. Even though it was my second year being in, but it was just a wonderful feeling that we got there. Unfortunately, we didn’t win it but it makes me work harder because I want to get back in that same position and this time actually win it myself.”

(On if he has admiration for QB Ben Roethlisberger playing through the injuries)
“That’s a team captain right there. When you’ve got a team captain stepping up even though he’s dealing with all of those things that’s he’s dealing with, that makes you want to play hard. So any nicks or bumps and bruises that you’ve got, you just shrug those off because this guy is playing with a bad leg or a broken nose or hurt hand or something. It makes you want to stand in and battle with him.”