havin an off-season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
That speaks to the intelligence of the team as a whole, but as we all know, *knowing* something and *executing* something are entirely different things. And maybe they did execute it during the weekly practices leading up to the game.

You had me right up to here.

I think what happened next is different from what you think happened next.

That they did not know the offense well enough to perform it as a coherent unit against the different looks they would get on offense. They knew the offense on paper but the timing and coherence was off executing it in real time. For me, the reason for that is they didn't have the reps. They didn't know how to execute this thing in real time.

I think the reason for that is because the plays all came with variations. They couldn't execute at a second nature level cause they never got enough time with the thing.

To me it's really telling that the running game worked and yet the passing game, everyone acted uncomfortable with it. A little "off."

It's not really the case that the entire offense would change week to week. I mean there's only so many routes and combinations. It's more like the gameplans were crafted to exploit a defensive weakness, and that would mean the collection of plays would change, but still at the heart of it there's knowing the routes and how they're executed, and in this case, everyone had to think too much cause they didn't really know it at the "in real time in real games" level.

Brian the S has a complex offense too, but they will know it better, all of them, when the games start. Just cause they will have repped it.

I don't know if I put any of that right.
Timing was "OFF" in the passing game, because we couldn't block anybody.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
zn said:
That speaks to the intelligence of the team as a whole, but as we all know, *knowing* something and *executing* something are entirely different things. And maybe they did execute it during the weekly practices leading up to the game.

That they did not know the offense well enough to perform it as a coherent unit against the different looks they would get on offense. They knew the offense on paper but the timing and coherence was off executing it in real time. For me, the reason for that is they didn't have the reps. They didn't know how to execute this thing in real time.

I think the reason for that is because the plays all came with variations. They couldn't execute at a second nature level cause they never got enough time with the thing.

To me it's really telling that the running game worked and yet the passing game, everyone acted uncomfortable with it. A little "off."

It's not really the case that the entire offense would change week to week. I mean there's only so many routes and combinations. It's more like the gameplans were crafted to exploit a defensive weakness, and that would mean the collection of plays would change, but still at the heart of it there's knowing the routes and how they're executed, and in this case, everyone had to think too much cause they didn't really know it at the "in real time in real games" level.

Brian the S has a complex offense too, but they will know it better, all of them, when the games start. Just cause they will have repped it.

My opinion on that differs. I saw it as the other way around. Honestly. They couldn;t block anyone cause they weren't in sync.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
The playbook has to change every week in the NFL, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to execute, but that doesn't mean that you throw plays away and start over. It means that you add new plays and looks every week.

Let me add this, as far as verbage goes, we are not talking brain surgery. Every play has a indicator for a specific player and what to do. You don't have to know all of it...just your part. The formation and receivers part usually come across first, so that the receiver can get out and line up. The snap count comes last, so that it is easiest to remember, and the receiver doesn't need to know it. If the receiver jumps offsides he is a dumbass, because he doesn't even hear the snap count.
I agree to an extent. It does change, otherwise you become predictable. However, it REALLY changed. So much so that it was commented on by players on the team who felt it to be unique enough to comment on. Shurmur's didn't change that much, and that's why he kinda fell under fire. "There he goes again with his bubble screens and 5 yard receiver routes..." McDaniels' offense changed entirely every week. From predominantly 2-TE sets to 5-wide. That kinda thing. Which, as I said, is great if the personnel can execute it. I know you have to know just your part, but you also have to be in sync with the QB as a receiver. Every play has 3 routes depending on the looks the defense gives. That's McDaniels' offense. I don't know about anyone else's right now. How can a QB and WR read each other when they're all dropping off like flies? Impossible.

I get it. I understand football, and I played. I can't speak to how easy it is at the NFL level, because obviously I didn't get that far. I know it's not brain surgery, but it isn't cake baking either. The timing that comes from a shitload of reps can only be gained through a shitload of reps, and that's important when the playbook looks like a phone book. *I think* that keeping it the same wouldn't have been disastrous. What was disastrous was the whole season anyway. I mean, could it have gotten any worse?

And that's not a knock on anyone. It's just discussing the fact that maybe 2011 was either going to BOOM or BUST depending on how everyone became acclimated with the scheme(s). Were it not for injuries, it probably could have really got rolling.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:

My opinion on that differs. I saw it as the other way around. Honestly. They couldn;t block anyone cause they weren't in sync.
Yeah, because you are only looking at it one way, when there are several ways to look at it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
The playbook has to change every week in the NFL, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to execute, but that doesn't mean that you throw plays away and start over. It means that you add new plays and looks every week.

Let me add this, as far as verbage goes, we are not talking brain surgery. Every play has a indicator for a specific player and what to do. You don't have to know all of it...just your part. The formation and receivers part usually come across first, so that the receiver can get out and line up. The snap count comes last, so that it is easiest to remember, and the receiver doesn't need to know it. If the receiver jumps offsides he is a dumbass, because he doesn't even hear the snap count.
I agree to an extent. It does change, otherwise you become predictable. However, it REALLY changed. So much so that it was commented on by players on the team who felt it to be unique enough to comment on. Shurmur's didn't change that much, and that's why he kinda fell under fire. "There he goes again with his bubble screens and 5 yard receiver routes..." McDaniels' offense changed entirely every week. From predominantly 2-TE sets to 5-wide. That kinda thing. Which, as I said, is great if the personnel can execute it. I know you have to know just your part, but you also have to be in sync with the QB as a receiver. Every play has 3 routes depending on the looks the defense gives. That's McDaniels' offense. I don't know about anyone else's right now. How can a QB and WR read each other when they're all dropping off like flies? Impossible.

I get it. I understand football, and I played. I can't speak to how easy it is at the NFL level, because obviously I didn't get that far. I know it's not brain surgery, but it isn't cake baking either. The timing that comes from a shitload of reps can only be gained through a shitload of reps, and that's important when the playbook looks like a phone book. *I think* that keeping it the same wouldn't have been disastrous. What was disastrous was the whole season anyway. I mean, could it have gotten any worse?

And that's not a knock on anyone. It's just discussing the fact that maybe 2011 was either going to BOOM or BUST depending on how everyone became acclimated with the scheme(s). Were it not for injuries, it probably could have really got rolling.
I don't know if the playbook is any thinner this season, but I do think that we have better players and an offseason. I have NO problem with boom or bust. I'd rather strive to win, than settle for being close. Go for it.

No, it couldn't have been worse...or could it? Hard to fathom. It WAS bad enough, ergo, my hesitation to keep fucking bringing it back up!

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
DR RAM said:

I really do think that. That it probably was going to get together. In fact I thought it WAS happening. And then the injuries derailed them.

small_train%20wreck%20of%20the%20day.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You can't fucking execute an offense with 3 street free agents at the 2nd most important position on your team, when your team is already lacking talent at that position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
You can't fucking execute an offense with 3 street free agents at the 2nd most important position on your team, when your team is already lacking talent at that position.
Chilllllll, brother. We're not that far off here. I agree with that of course, so it begs the question. Why would you run 5-wide with LeVoir at left tackle and no TE (or back) to stay in and help? Why wouldn't you just try to chip away with max protect or 2 TE sets instead? Predictable? Sure. Would Bradford get rocked for 5 sacks? Probably not.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Chilllllll, brother. We're not that far off here. I agree with that of course, so it begs the question. Why would you run 5-wide with LeVoir at left tackle and no TE (or back) to stay in and help? Why wouldn't you just try to chip away with max protect or 2 TE sets instead? Predictable? Sure. Would Bradford get rocked for 5 sacks? Probably not.
I'm not upset, just using cuss words because I can!

Honestly, we tried all of that, and in short. We couldn't do what we needed to do. If the other team knew we were going to run, they stopped it, and vice versa. I have to go, but be back later.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
I'm not upset, just using cuss words because I can!

Honestly, we tried all of that, and in short. We couldn't do what we needed to do. If the other team knew we were going to run, they stopped it, and vice versa. I have to go, but be back later.
Ight. Hurry the fuck up then. :cheese:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
I don't know if the playbook is any thinner this season,

Sure it is. Didn't you hear SJ? They are using I-Pads this season. This spot brought to you by Apple. :sly:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
Sure it is. Didn't you hear SJ? They are using I-Pads this season. This spot brought to you by Apple. :sly:
The playbook in and of itself is no less complex than McDaniels' was. But early reports and quotes suggest they're not going to implement all of it. Recently, I don't remember who it was, said that they were overloading everyone just to see how quickly they can absorb it. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
The playbook in and of itself is no less complex than McDaniels' was. But early reports and quotes suggest they're not going to implement all of it. Recently, I don't remember who it was, said that they were overloading everyone just to see how quickly they can absorb it. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

See now - you've gone and moved the goal posts. He said thinner.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

Oh. My apologies.

I meant, fuck you. :lol:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

Oh. My apologies.

I meant, fuck you. :lol:

That's fucking better. Dickhead. :cool:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:

lol

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
I don't know what conversation you are looking for that has not already been had. So, why?

If you wanted people to say McD was a douche, you got your way.
None of it matters now.

The old coaching staff is gone.

The CBA is new.

We won't know if anything (winning) changes until the season progresses.

Just let it go.

I don't care about McD, Spags, Shurmer, last offseason, or last season. I care about this season and the seasons to come under Fisher and company.

In the end is doesn't really matter. New season and new dreams.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4[/youtube]

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
Schottenheimer said that. Or rather he said they loaded them down in the beginning so they could go back over it several times later. In essence, giving them a lot to learn and letting it sink in, then cementing it with reps.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
Schottenheimer said that. Or rather he said they loaded them down in the beginning so they could go back over it several times later. In essence, giving them a lot to learn and letting it sink in, then cementing it with reps.
I might have to give you the title of Total Recall. And thanks for that. Without going into too much detail, my memory is very unreliable. I had a severe accident several years back and blah blah blah, so I have to rely on saving TONS of articles and audio to keep my accounts in order. That said, repping the same argument over and over again has served me well too.

It's all about the reps. :cheese: