Has the NFL been watered down?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I wasn’t sure how to title this post. But I’ll do my best to explain.

I believe the NFL has an age problem. And it’s not good. Currently, there are 15 QBs who are 35 and older. 6 of those are starters in Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan and Rodgers(Fitzpatrick got benched).

Why do I think the league has become watered down? Well, we can take a look at history. Over the last 5 decades, 2020 has the most QBs 35 or older. And the by far the most starters. Let’s take a look:
76FC15BE-37CA-4C19-8FC3-902A5FF12130.jpeg

In 1980, there were only four QBs who were 35 or older, two of them being starters.
B76976F9-1D8A-4F44-AB69-7052D19D88BA.jpeg

In 1990, six QBs were 35 or older, two of them starters.
B48B6D4A-9C49-4C33-AC73-B621371E87B4.jpeg

2000 saw a big increase but the amount of starters didn’t get much higher. Only three made it through the whole season and were effective.
7A0C6E0F-7423-4072-8B0A-2C4D7D6AA130.jpeg

2010 there was a major decrease in talent for the 35+ club. With Hasselbeck and Favre being the only two QBs to start nearly the entire season.
EE62C074-406F-48E0-936B-9B94310FDB40.jpeg

And now we finally arrive at 2020. And if I didn’t know any better, it feels like it’s still 2008. Half of the league could potentially have a 35+ year old QB starting for them.

The NFL has devoted time and money into making sure these guys have kept the spotlight for the last 15 or so years. I believe fans such as myself have a limit on how much energy they can expel into watching the same QBs year after year.

I’ve found myself actually watching less football this season. I enjoy watching the Rams and maybe a few other teams. But who the hell wants to watch Joe Flacco clunk his way down the field for 10 ppg? Not me.

Its old(no pun intended), it’s boring and it’s stale. 15 years used to be the goal. Now it’s the prime of a QB.

Rant over.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I thought the watering down of the NFL began in 1996 when the Panthers and Jaguars were added. Some of the older guys could even argue that 1976 started it with the Bucs and Seahawks additions. To have a watered down league essentially describes when you have to distribute more players to teams that wouldn't have made the roster before the teams came into the league. So the talent is less concentrated, and the guys who would be out on the street get scattered around to more teams. That's my understanding of the term. I use it all the time when other fans claim dynasty. "Yeah, but the league is watered down so you have weakened opposition." Just my silly sports argument to respond to the bandwagoners.

Tano

Legend
I disagree that it's been watered down.

I believe the older QBs is due to the NFL now making it a flag football league on QBs.

QBs don't get hit like they used to and can now last longer in the league.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t know I see 4 sure fire hall of famers still playing at a high level who cares their ages?

McCown, Schuab, Smith, fitz (just lost his job), Stanton, hoyer, Henne, Moore, and hoyer (minus when cam has COVID) are all backups

That leaves rivers, Ryan who aren’t who they used to be but still playing at levels not easily replaced. And Flacco who got time bc Darnold got banged up

I just don’t see what we’re talking about here.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I believe the older QBs is due to the NFL now making it a flag football league on QBs.

Yep, exactly. These guys don't have to take the hits they once did.

Of course you could also argue that QBs get hit by bigger players today when they do get hit, but overall it is easier to play QB from the ability of the OL to now hold guys and DBs unable to touch guys. Then of course QBs being protected from late hits and head shots etc...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
What I think has lessoned the game day experience for me is the games seem to go quicker with the rule change of clock running when players go out of bounds during most of the game. Just seems as though that makes the game speed up and teams getting fewer possessions etc.. cheapens the game in some way.

Now I realize with more passing, games were taking too long, but now with QBs completing nearly 70% of their passes not sure that is the issue and quicker games actually force more passing because the games go too quick if a team is behind.

However, I used to like to sit down and know I had 3 1/2 hrs of football ahead of me.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I wasn’t sure how to title this post. But I’ll do my best to explain.

I believe the NFL has an age problem. And it’s not good. Currently, there are 15 QBs who are 35 and older. 6 of those are starters in Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan and Rodgers(Fitzpatrick got benched).

Why do I think the league has become watered down? Well, we can take a look at history. Over the last 5 decades, 2020 has the most QBs 35 or older. And the by far the most starters. Let’s take a look:
View attachment 40294
In 1980, there were only four QBs who were 35 or older, two of them being starters.
View attachment 40298
In 1990, six QBs were 35 or older, two of them starters.
View attachment 40295
2000 saw a big increase but the amount of starters didn’t get much higher. Only three made it through the whole season and were effective.
View attachment 40296
2010 there was a major decrease in talent for the 35+ club. With Hasselbeck and Favre being the only two QBs to start nearly the entire season.
View attachment 40297
And now we finally arrive at 2020. And if I didn’t know any better, it feels like it’s still 2008. Half of the league could potentially have a 35+ year old QB starting for them.

The NFL has devoted time and money into making sure these guys have kept the spotlight for the last 15 or so years. I believe fans such as myself have a limit on how much energy they can expel into watching the same QBs year after year.

I’ve found myself actually watching less football this season. I enjoy watching the Rams and maybe a few other teams. But who the hell wants to watch Joe Flacco clunk his way down the field for 10 ppg? Not me.

Its old(no pun intended), it’s boring and it’s stale. 15 years used to be the goal. Now it’s the prime of a QB.

Rant over.
Wait a second. Wait one damn second!

You did all this research and analysis but when it came to identifying the best all-time-Ram to wear #27, you could only come up with Tre Mason?!?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t know I see 4 sure fire hall of famers still playing at a high level who cares their ages?

McCown, Schuab, Smith, fitz (just lost his job), Stanton, hoyer, Henne, Moore, and hoyer (minus when cam has COVID) are all backups

That leaves rivers, Ryan who aren’t who they used to be but still playing at levels not easily replaced. And Flacco who got time bc Darnold got banged up

I just don’t see what we’re talking about here.
What we’re talking about is that guys are now able to just play forever well into their 40s without declining because the NFL, as @Tano stated, has become flag football. Records being shattered while Brady and Brees continue throwing 10 yard passes for 25 years.

It’s not enjoyable to watch anymore. And I think there’s a point where you need to know when to hang em up. Peyton Manning had the perfect career. He didn’t wear out his welcome. His brother on the other hand, should have retired in 2015. He tarnished his legacy because he played too long. I’m ready for the new era to start. Football will be better off when all those guys are retired.

fearsomefour

Legend

Last time a replay of the Rams Titans Super Bowl was on I watched it and there had to be 15 hits or more on Warner that were legal then that would be flags now.
What sort of numbers would Marino put up in this flag football league?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What a cheery thing to wake up to on a Saturday morning.

As always, I watch as much NFL as I can, every team, every game. Because I know every year in mid-June, everyone I know, craves it to come back.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
Everyone knows the NFL just hasn’t been the same and has been watered down since they started wearing helmets. Real men bash their skulls together!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't know if it was really a good thing QBs used to get injured more, shortening their careers (assuming that's the explanation).

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Its not simply that the rules make it flag football for QBs now which I somewhat agree with.

The biggest factor for these guys is advances in nutrition, sport science, equipment, training habits. The general professionalisation of sport. These guys take care of their bodies more than the old guard ever did. Most of these guys are teetotal, especially during the season. It's the same in all sports. Back in the day you would go to the bar after a win. Now they go into a cryo chamber and watch tape. It's not a surprise really.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What we’re talking about is that guys are now able to just play forever well into their 40s without declining because the NFL, as @Tano stated, has become flag football. Records being shattered while Brady and Brees continue throwing 10 yard passes for 25 years.

It’s not enjoyable to watch anymore. And I think there’s a point where you need to know when to hang em up. Peyton Manning had the perfect career. He didn’t wear out his welcome. His brother on the other hand, should have retired in 2015. He tarnished his legacy because he played too long. I’m ready for the new era to start. Football will be better off when all those guys are retired.
When there are 32 qbs better than Arod, Big Ben, Drew Brees and Tom Brady a new era will begin. Would you prefer watching Daniel Jones to Aaron Rodgers Because he’s a young new generation? Hell when there is 32 qbs better than Ryan and Rivers it will be an accomplishment but there’s not.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only what 5 of those listed for this year are regular starters? I don't think it's watered down I think it's a case of players in recent years have started taking better care of themselves and if they choose can play longer into their 30's. It's not just football either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When sorting the 2020 starters by year drafted, check out how close Goff is to the mid line, already.

05F50DC6-6AA2-4FD8-95E2-F6A5278F63DF.jpeg

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Advances in player recovery, science and training regimes may have something to do with it also.

Ellard80

Legend
The NFL is the most dynamic football on the planet... I enjoy college also

But there is nothing else like the NFL.