Has the 49ers/Rams rivalry diminished?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jeff Fisher:
"We've been on the losing end of a lot of games, this organization has," Fisher said. "Now last year, we got our feet back on the map, but I don't think there's a rivalry yet. It's a division opponent. It's a big challenge for us on a short week, but I don't necessarily see it as a rivalry yet. Hopefully, it will become one."

-------

I know to a lot of long-suffering fans that rivalry is still alive and kicking. There are a multitude of reasons for Rams fans to hate that suck ass team. But has it been too lopsided for too long for it to be considered a real rivalry anymore? I tend to agree with Fisher here. I know last year was a good start to rekindling it, but it's gonna take a few more of those types of games between the two of us for me to consider it very meaningful anymore.

BobCarl

Rookie
The rivalry mostly died for me when the 9ers signed my favorite player of all time ... Isaac Bruce... I lost a lot of respect for the Rams that day.

It was a thrill for me to be at the game and snap a photo of Bruce catching his 1000th career pass. I also couldn't be happier at the fact that, Bruce doing that in a 9er uniform, was the trigger that got Jay Zigmunt fired. Zigmunt getting fired brought back some of my respect for the Rams. Bruce should have been able to play out his last two years with the Rams on his own terms.

I don't hate the 9ers anymore ... however I hope they finish the season with a 1-15 record.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BobCarl said:
The rivalry mostly died for me when the 9ers signed my favorite player of all time ... Isaac Bruce... I lost a lot of respect for the Rams that day.

It was a thrill for me to be at the game and snap a photo of Bruce catching his 1000th career pass. I also couldn't be happier at the fact that, Bruce doing that in a 9er uniform, was the trigger that got Jay Zigmunt fired. Zigmunt getting fired brought back some of my respect for the Rams. Bruce should have been able to play out his last two years with the Rams on his own terms.

I don't hate the 9ers anymore ... however I hope they finish the season with a 1-15 record.
I hear ya, man. That was disgusting.

The time the rivalry was the greatest was in the 80's. I remember those games well. In the 90's they just kicked our ass every year until the close of that decade. And then we went on a run and pummeled them for years. It's just been so back & forth, that I don't see it as being a true rivalry anymore. But like Fisher said, if we keep having the kinds of games we've had with them last year - going forward - then I can see it building back up again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Can a team have multiple rivals? Because; it appears the 49'ers have moved on to the Seahawks.

Me personally; geography is working against the Rams in the rivalry department. Part of a successful rivalry, I believe, is the close proximity of the opposing teams fans.

Think Cardinals / Cubs.

The Rams can't have that type of natural rivalry being in the NFC west.

For the Rams to rekindle things... without the aide of geography... they need to have some more epic battles like last year. Thus the rivalry is formed more from the team, less from the fans.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's damn sure still a rivalry at my house!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramhusker said:
It's damn sure still a rivalry at my house!

I'd have to say my hatred for the 49'ers and SeaPidgeons qualifies as a dual rivalry in my house as well.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fish just isn't going to provide any bulletin board material.

For me, this rivalry can never diminish.

So many memories for me since I've been addicted to the Rams for 40 years. Watching these guys go at it twice a year over that time... what's that, like 800 times they've played in my time following them?

Losing to them 17 fucking times in a row... that shit permanently branded me.

If we lose every game of the season except for our 2 against the Seahawks whiners... room for improvement, but a Successful Season in Haile's eyes.

FUCK THOSE WHINEY BITCHES FOREVER

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
Can a team have multiple rivals? Because; it appears the 49'ers have moved on to the Seahawks.

Me personally; geography is working against the Rams in the rivalry department. Part of a successful rivalry, I believe, is the close proximity of the opposing teams fans.

Think Cardinals / Cubs.

For the Rams to rekindle things... without the aide of geography... they need to have some more epic battles like last year. Thus the rivalry is formed more from the team, less from the fans.
Hasn't hurt the Chiefs/Raiders rivalry, and that's been geographically set since the 60's. When those 2 teams are strong, there's no bigger rivalry.

Then there's Cowboys/Redskins, and they aren't around the corner from each other either.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Selassie I said:

So many memories for me since I've been addicted to the Rams for 40 years. Watching these guys go at it twice a year over that time... what's that, like 800 times they've played in my time following them?

Losing to them 17 freaking times in a row... that shyte permanently branded me.

If we lose every game of the season except for our 2 against the Seahawks whiners... room for improvement, but a Successful Season in Haile's eyes.

freak THOSE WHINEY BITCHES FOREVER
To put it in terms that anyone should recognize, the record of the Rams/49ers rivalry is dead even.

62-62-3

No rivalry my ass.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:

To put it in terms that anyone should recognize, the record of the Rams/49ers rivalry is dead even.

62-62-3

No rivalry my ass.

Thanks Quixote...

My math is clearly vindicated with these totals.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:

Think Cardinals / Cubs.

Hasn't hurt the Chiefs/Raiders rivalry, and that's been geographically set since the 60's. When those 2 teams are strong, there's no bigger rivalry.

Then there's Cowboys/Redskins, and they aren't around the corner from each other either.

None of those rivalries had a huge geographical change, though. Yeah, the Raiders moved to LA, but it wasn't as big as a move of the Rams going from LA to St. Louis.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Selassie I said:
Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:

62-62-3

No rivalry my ass.

Thanks Quixote...

Thinking about that 17 straight :sick: , that meant the Rams must have dominated them completely back in the 70's. They had a lot of catching up to do just to get even.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Please,,, you younger guys should be very happy you didn't have to watch the game where John Taylor had like three 80 yard catch TDs on us. I think it was a Monday Nighter too.

Pain. Fucking Pain.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Lesson said:
Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:

Think Cardinals / Cubs.

None of those rivalries had a huge geographical change, though. Yeah, the Raiders moved to LA, but it wasn't as big as a move of the Rams going from LA to St. Louis.
That's my point, though. If Kansas City can embrace a long distance rivalry, why not St Louis? Fact is, Seattle gets a lot of hate in St Louis. What's with the indifference to SF?

A55VA6

Legend
Selassie I said:
Please,,, you younger guys should be very happy you didn't have to watch the game where John Taylor had like three 80 yard catch TDs on us. I think it was a Monday Nighter too.

Pain. freaking Pain.
Yeah, I don't think I was even alive yet.. Glad I didn't have to witness even more destruction. lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram Quixote said:
Lesson said:
Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:

Think Cardinals / Cubs.

That's my point, though. If Kansas City can embrace a long distance rivalry, why not St Louis? Fact is, Seattle gets a lot of hate in St Louis. What's with the indifference to SF?

I'm not suggesting a long distance rivalry isn't possible. Just makes it harder.

More team driven than fan driven.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Ram Quixote said:
Lesson said:
Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:

Think Cardinals / Cubs.

I wouldn't say there is a strong dislike for Seattle, though. If anything, there's more of a dislike for the AZ Cardinals due to Bidwell.

As for your original question, the San Fran hasn't really taken anything away from St. Louis. KC lost the A's to Oakland. That could be a factor.

jap

Legend
Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:
Ram Quixote said:
Selassie I said:

62-62-3

No rivalry my ass.

Thanks Quixote...

Thinking about that 17 straight :sick: , that meant the Rams must have dominated them completely back in the 70's. They had a lot of catching up to do just to get even.

Yes, kicking '9er hiney used to be an automatic ritual for the Horns back in the good ole days. :twisted:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A55VA6 said:
Selassie I said:

Pain. freaking Pain.
Yeah, I don't think I was even alive yet.. Glad I didn't have to witness even more destruction. lol

We kicked their asses a bunch too just so you know.

They hate us just as bad. If they say they don't, they're full of shit.