Has anyone mentioned shopping Everett?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I doubt there'd be much cap relief from trading him as he's on his rookie contract and in the last year but I'd be curious if they could get a late pick. Mundt is a restricted free agent and an easy resign.

With all the money going elsewhere this season and next (not to mention, Higbee's new contract), it's not like we're going to keep him. Would it be a benefit to recoup something for him?

I guess the question is: is it possible now that a two-te set with Higbee and Mundt is more productive than Higbee and Everett?? Does Mundt's blocking offer more versatility than Everett's receiving ability? Or was it all about his injury last year??

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Nah we need him. With higs breaking out his role will increase because hes another great wr option when on the field. He needs to work on his blocking and game knowledge but it should click for him this year because hes finally been healthy enough to see the field often enough

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not going to be traded just to be traded. It wouldn't save much cap space, and he is useful - even if he's very likely to leave as a free agent after 2020. The most likely scenario for him being traded imo is moving him for another player on his first contract to fill a bigger hole, say an OL for instance that the Rams would like but who is buried behind somebody else on the other team's depth chart. Or a defender that the Rams like but who again is buried behind somebody else. Much like Everett is behind Higbeast.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We've endured years of Everett developing and now that he is entering a contract season in year 4 if the guy is going to emerge it will be this season. So the potential value to us is far greater IMO than what we'd get for him in trade. He is cheap with enormous upside so no way I'd move him now.

Also when you draft a TE the wait is terrible. So yeah take one in the draft at some point if/when value is there and let him redshirt.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Everett has trade value, no question.

The TE position is emerging in the offense. We need 2 guys to keep it going. We saw Everett starting to break out before injury. Higbee just took it from there.

I like the idea of having both of these guys, such a key role, for the 2020 run.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I doubt there'd be much cap relief from trading him as he's on his rookie contract and in the last year but I'd be curious if they could get a late pick. Mundt is a restricted free agent and an easy resign.

With all the money going elsewhere this season and next (not to mention, Higbee's new contract), it's not like we're going to keep him. Would it be a benefit to recoup something for him?

I guess the question is: is it possible now that a two-te set with Higbee and Mundt is more productive than Higbee and Everett?? Does Mundt's blocking offer more versatility than Everett's receiving ability? Or was it all about his injury last year??

Yes, I brought up both Everett's & Havenstein's name as potential trade bait a number of weeks back, neither of which received much support. I'm now thinking Havenstein should get 2020 to get back in shape and try to repair his legacy, having a quality RG next to him might also help improve those odds, and if he can return to his previous higher standards, his possible 2021 trade would likely bring greater compensation back to the Rams.

As for Everett, yes, I still support trading him and believe he could bring a middle round draft pick. Higbee's breakthrough last season secured his sole ownership as our #1 TE, and while the Rams seek CAP space to extend Ramsey, Kupp & JJ3 for 2021, Everett is likely lost to free agency. If we could swap out Everett for a draft pick that allows us to attract another TE, that works for me as the Rams have a short number of draft picks in 2020 and 2021 due to previous trading. Higbee and Mundt looked like a solid duo last season, and Everett's lack of consistent blocking technique make him vulnerable. Rather than lose another player to free agency, moving him for a younger developmental TE that we know will be around for several more years seems like a worthy trade-off.
jmo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I will say this, I'm not sure you get even a 4th for him with 1 year left on his contract. Maybe a 4th in 2021. And I think it's very legitimate to ask if that's worth it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, I will say this, I'm not sure you get even a 4th for him with 1 year left on his contract. Maybe a 4th in 2021. And I think it's very legitimate to ask if that's worth it.

It's not the greatest of TE classes for the upcoming draft and there won't be many quality inexpensive TE's in free agency, Everett's trade value might just surprise us.
jmo.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If the rams can get premium value than id consider a trade but ever since the patsies showed what 2 elite tight ends on the field at the same time could do, i figured that having this luxury was the next trend. With Everett and the (finally)
breaking out higbee on the field together, the rams can routinely use this formation while keeping the defense guessing if we are passing or running.

With an elite double tight end formation you can either run block or have one or both of these guys run a route. This gives you 5 potential recievers who can hurt you or a double tight end running play with todd Gurley.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I mentioned it in another thread. I could definitely see the Cheats going after him. They need a TE, and not Olsen's old ass. But what are they willing to trade? We can do good with Hig and a decent #2 TE.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If the rams can get premium value than id consider a trade but ever since the patsies showed what 2 elite tight ends on the field at the same time could do, i figured that having this luxury was the next trend. With Everett and the (finally)
breaking out higbee on the field together, the rams can routinely use this formation while keeping the defense guessing if we are passing or running.

With an elite double tight end formation you can either run block or have one or both of these guys run a route. This gives you 5 potential recievers who can hurt you or a double tight end running play with todd Gurley.

While all true, it may come down to the quality of our 2020 OL. Will the Rams continue to rely mostly on 11 personnel because of our elite WR corp, or will we choose to increase 12 personnel groupings to make up for a deficient OL ?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
While all true, it may come down to the quality of our 2020 OL. Will the Rams continue to rely mostly on 11 personnel because of our elite WR corp, or will we choose to increase 12 personnel groupings to make up for a deficient OL ?

If the oline is not elite than having 2 TEs who can score and block is even more important

Mcvay mostly used 3 widouts in various formations and ran multiple plays and route combos but the defense still figured the play was a pass.

With 2 stud TEs the play can be either a pass play with up to 5 recivers, including gurley, or a run play with 2 TEs and more blocking for gurley.

Depending on the defensive personnel, goff can audible and dictate which play will give the offens a mismatch.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the oline is not elite than having 2 TEs who can score and block is even more important

My impression (possibly wrong) is that Everett's weakest point as a TE is his blocking. Definite deep threat, a much better blocker than I would be, but not actually a good blocker for a NFL TE.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
My impression (possibly wrong) is that Everett's weakest point as a TE is his blocking. Definite deep threat, a much better blocker than I would be, but not actually a good blocker for a NFL TE.

Definate receiving threat and only last year did I hear talk from announcers quoting coaches that his blocking had improved significantly. One game they mentioned how Everett was now taking pride in his blocking improvement. Then be got injured. With higbees emergence Everett needs to show hes an assett as a blocker as well as a reciver especially with his contract. He could very well be trade bait

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Yes, that's basically what my post alludes to, although I don't believe we necessarily must have an elite OL to successfully accomplish 11 personnel, but we must find additional time for Goff to get set for his throwing downfield as well as find better success in our running game. 2020 won't be one or another, it will likely be a slightly increased mix, and an improved OL will get all our best offensive players back on track.
jmo.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yes, that's basically what my post alludes to, although I don't believe we necessarily must have an elite OL to successfully accomplish 11 personnel, but we must find additional time for Goff to get set for his throwing downfield as well as find better success in our running game. 2020 won't be one or another, it will likely be a slightly increased mix, and an improved OL will get all our best offensive players back on track.
jmo.

And really goff needs to be better. I like him and hes had some amazing games but an interesting and telling metric is that the total passes he attempted last season should have yielded a 66% completion rate based on many factors such as how open was the receiver, the distance of the pass, defensive pressure, etc, yet his completion rate was 62% on these attempts.

I know a 4% differential seems low but the only 2 qbs with a worse drop were rookies minchue and haskins. So, not good. Goff can be great but he also needs more consistancy.