Harrison to magazine: Goodall a 'devil'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
NEW YORK (AP)

[flv]http://content2.catalog.video.msn.com/e2/ds/4bce562b-3c7e-4821-9598-c35e408330b3.flv[/flv]

Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a ''crook'' and a ''devil,'' among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

''If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it,'' Harrison told the magazine. ''I hate him and will never respect him.''

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, ''stupid,'' ''puppet'' and ''dictator.''

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: ''Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?''

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi (''clowns''), Houston's Brian Cushing (''juiced out of his mind'') - and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss.

Harrison calls the running back a ''fumble machine'' for his fourth-quarter turnover. Mendenhall said on Twitter on Wednesday he didn't have a problem with what Harrison said ''because I know him.'' But he also included a link to his stats from last season, which show he didn't have a pattern of fumbling.

Of the quarterback's two interceptions, Harrison says: ''Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.''

Steelers President Art Rooney II said in a statement that he hadn't seen the article or talked to Harrison.

''We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved,'' he said.

Harrison also questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite. Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety.

He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so ''we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from.''

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's official: James Harrison is a fucking douche and a lockerroom cancer. Insulting Roethlisberger and Mendenhall about their playoff performances when he didn't do anything himself shows his lack of intelligence. Is he going to insult Pouncey for not playing? How about the receivers and offensive line for not helping Roethlisberger enough to win?

I don't care about him insulting Roethlisberger and Mendenhall, as I hate both of them as well. I care about why he insulted them. He had one fucking tackle (a sack) in the whole damned game, and it was because Rodgers ran into him and fell over. By comparison, Roethlisberger threw for two touchdowns and Mendenhall rushed for a touchdown. They did a lot more to help than Harrison.

I love the Steelers organization and the way that the Rooneys run things, but I can't understand why they keep guys like Harrison, Roethlisberger, and Mendenhall on their team.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Harrison should be thankful that Roethlisberger threw that game winning pass to Holmes, after Fitzgerlad ripped through the D to take the freakin lead. Not surprised tho, this guy said "if the Cardinals had won they would've been invited to the White House." I always knew he was a little :boing: in the head.

Memento, Mendenhall didn't say anything wrong. I saw his point, to keep things in perspective.

Even this 10 year old kid basically said what Mendenhall said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pkKNPEU8oc[/youtube]

Listen @ 2:44 and @ 3:12 (especially here).

As for Roethlisberger, I made my feelings clear. The dude wasn't charged, no proof of anything, but he is (was?) a douche. It does look like he's changed, but time will tell. One more fuck up and he's outta there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
Harrison should be thankful that Roethlisberger threw that game winning pass to Holmes, after Fitzgerlad ripped through the D to take the freakin lead. Not surprised tho, this guy said "if the Cardinals had won they would've been invited to the White House." I always knew he was a little :boing: in the head.

Memento, Mendenhall didn't say anything wrong. I saw his point, to keep things in perspective.

As for Roethlisberger, I made my feelings clear. The dude wasn't charged, no proof of anything, but he is (was?) a douche. It does look like he's changed, but time will tell. One more fuck up and he's outta there.

That's the thing, though; they're kids, and most kids have no idea how the world really works or how evil people can really be. Mendenhall's a grown man; he should know those things. I'd say more, but it would stray dangerously close to politics.

I've made my feelings clear about Big Ben: he's a complete nimrod. The motorcycle incident where he very nearly killed someone was bad enough, but he was also charged with sexual assault twice. That puts serious doubt on his character and his common sense.

I simply don't understand why people like the Rooneys would keep those three on their team when most players (Cedrick Wilson comes to mind) have been cut almost immediately after their actions come to light.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I've always hated Harrison. He's just an awful guy from what I can tell. Cheap shots, attitude problems, big mouth... The list goes on.

I hope he gets suspended by the NFL, and the Steelers release him. Actually I want him to just leave the NFL already, the league would be a better place without him.

Angry Ram

Memento said:
Angry Ram said:

As for Roethlisberger, I made my feelings clear. The dude wasn't charged, no proof of anything, but he is (was?) a douche. It does look like he's changed, but time will tell. One more freak up and he's outta there.

That's the thing, though; they're kids, and most kids have no idea how the world really works or how evil people can really be. Mendenhall's a grown man; he should know those things. I'd say more, but it would stray dangerously close to politics.

I've made my feelings clear about Big Ben: he's a complete nimrod. The motorcycle incident where he very nearly killed someone was bad enough, but he was also charged with sexual assault twice. That puts serious doubt on his character and his common sense.

I simply don't understand why people like the Rooneys would keep those three on their team when most players (Cedrick Wilson comes to mind) have been cut almost immediately after their actions come to light.

Kid or not, he sounds smart for his age and does have a point. As for the 3 guys:

Mendenhall- he didn't say anything wrong, although it wasn't smart to publically speak his mind during a time of great national pride.He's allowed 2 say it but it's no crime.

Roethlisberger- Actually the Steelers did try to trade him: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d817ab5f4&template=with-video-with-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=t ... h-comments</a>

As I said before, it looks he changed or maybe not. I hope he has.

Harrison- I think he'll get disciplined the most. I just don't see how callin out teammates for performance is gonna go w/o consequence.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
Mendenhall- he didn't say anything wrong, although it wasn't smart to publically speak his mind during a time of great national pride.He's allowed 2 say it but it's no crime.

Roethlisberger- Actually the Steelers did try to trade him: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d817ab5f4&template=with-video-with-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=t ... h-comments</a>

Harrison- I think he'll get disciplined the most. I just don't see how callin out teammates for performance is gonna go w/o consequence.

Sorry Angry - You say Mendenhall didn't say anything wrong. While I'll agree with his sentiments that it is not right to rejoice in the death of a person, I would consider Bin Laden beneath the value of most living tissue. But the following statements stick in my craw and I don't see how they can be viewed as anything but wrong.

"I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us"

"We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style"

He's entitled to his opinion. That's true. But he is being ignorant and one has to wonder if he has been living under a rock or is intentionally trying to stir the pot. Don't have evidence other than the gov't? Gee - I guess the videos of the dirt bag bragging about it don't count. Planes didn't take down the towers? Tell that to the thousands who were in those buildings and the millions who watched it happen. What... does he just think that our government went in and while no one was looking, rigged the buildings to blow? So Bin Laden had nothing to do with it... and essentially saying our own government did it - that's ok.

I don't think anyone is saying he has no right to say it. But is what he said wrong? I'd say a big YES. Should a team be able to say that they don't want that kind of statement coming from someone in their organization? Damn tootin'! He potentially soured a lot of fans of their organization. It should also be their right to sanction him in order to unsour those same fans.

And then there's this little gem: "There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to think" RIGHT Rashard - whatever.

As to Harrison - he's simply a dirt bag - nuff said as far as I'm concerned. Rothlesburger? He's a dumb ass IMO and I'm not sure you can change that but at least maybe you can keep him from shooting himself in the foot.

Angry Ram

RamFan503 said:
Angry Ram said:

Sorry Angry - You say Mendenhall didn't say anything wrong. While I'll agree with his sentiments that it is not right to rejoice in the death of a person, I would consider Bin Laden beneath the value of most living tissue. But the following statements stick in my craw and I don't see how they can be viewed as anything but wrong.

"I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us"

"We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style"

He's entitled to his opinion. That's true. But he is being ignorant and one has to wonder if he has been living under a rock or is intentionally trying to stir the pot. Don't have evidence other than the gov't? Gee - I guess the videos of the dirt bag bragging about it don't count. Planes didn't take down the towers? Tell that to the thousands who were in those buildings and the millions who watched it happen. What... does he just think that our government went in and while no one was looking, rigged the buildings to blow? So Bin Laden had nothing to do with it... and essentially saying our own government did it - that's ok.

I don't think anyone is saying he has no right to say it. But is what he said wrong? I'd say a big YES. Should a team be able to say that they don't want that kind of statement coming from someone in their organization? Damn tootin'! He potentially soured a lot of fans of their organization. It should also be their right to sanction him in order to unsour those same fans.

And then there's this little gem: "There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to think" RIGHT Rashard - whatever.

As to Harrison - he's simply a dirt bag - nuff said as far as I'm concerned. Rothlesburger? He's a dumb ass IMO and I'm not sure you can change that but at least maybe you can keep him from shooting himself in the foot.

Oh I forgot about those particular statements. I was just talkin about the "celebratin in the streets" thing. Yup, I agree he's an idiot for sayin that then. It's a slap in the face to the thousands that you know...actually died from the attacks.

Should he disciplined by the Steelers? I don't think so but wouldn't be surprised if he did.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Harrison is :loco: .

Thanks for keeping things civil and respectful, it's something that sets this forum apart from the other one.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
James Harrison rant

As Rams fans, you gotta love this from James...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-back-harrison-hammers-goodell-steelers-mates

Harrison has a special affection for the Patriots, whom he said robbed him of a third Super Bowl ring.

"We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes (in the AFC Championship Game)," Harrison said. "They got busted for it later, but, hey, they're Goodell’s boys, so he slapped 'em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!"

James Harrison: Confessions of an NFL Hitman
http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison

Angry Ram

Re: James Harrison rant

interference said:
As Rams fans, you gotta love this from James...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-back-harrison-hammers-goodell-steelers-mates

Harrison has a special affection for the Patriots, whom he said robbed him of a third Super Bowl ring.

"We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes (in the AFC Championship Game)," Harrison said. "They got busted for it later, but, hey, they're Goodell’s boys, so he slapped 'em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!"

James Harrison: Confessions of an NFL Hitman
http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison

:LOLLLL:

Ahh it's Harrison alrite.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Harrison needs therapy. Too bad his play seems to be fueled by the same rage.

Anyway, this part will be lost in all that blind rage:
Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so ''we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from.''
This is the only part that I read that made any sense. Teams need to prepare for the regular season, but at what point does all that practice contact contribute to the likelihood of a concussion? Note that Jason Smith didn't miss a day of training camp before his rookie season but missed 8(?) games due to what seemed like a minor concussion. After missing the first week of camp last year, he missed just 1 game. Makes you wonder. I know, small sample.

There's a lot of incidental helmet contact in practice. Maybe one of those experimental helmets we heard about last year can be used as "practice" helmets for linemen?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
Harrison needs therapy. Too bad his play seems to be fueled by the same rage.

Anyway, this part will be lost in all that blind rage:
This is the only part that I read that made any sense. Teams need to prepare for the regular season, but at what point does all that practice contact contribute to the likelihood of a concussion? Note that Jason Smith didn't miss a day of training camp before his rookie season but missed 8(?) games due to what seemed like a minor concussion. After missing the first week of camp last year, he missed just 1 game. Makes you wonder. I know, small sample.

There's a lot of incidental helmet contact in practice. Maybe one of those experimental helmets we heard about last year can be used as "practice" helmets for linemen?

Yeah RQ - I noticed that as well and had the same thought. That was the one thing he said that stood out as making sense. Of course... the uni-bomber, Charlie Manson, et al had a couple statements that made sense as well. Just sayin'. :shock: No point... just... well... um... sayin'