Harkins: David Johnson, not Todd Gurley, Might be NFL's Next Great Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfc-to...n-not-todd-gurley-might-nfls-next-great-back/

Here is the article:

"There is no denying the promise of Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley, the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015.

He’s big (6-1, 226), he’s fast and he’s powerful, and you have to figure his 1,100-yard debut season is just the tip of the iceberg, coming as it did on only 229 carries in 13 games (12 starts).

But for those who want to anoint Gurley as the heir to Adrian Peterson’s throne as the NFL’s next great running back, you might want to slow down, because there is plenty of evidence that Gurley might not even be the next best running back in the NFC West. That title might very well fall to Arizona’s David Johnson.

Drafted in the third round out of Northern Iowa, Johnson didn’t arrive with the fanfare of first-rounder Gurley. But the Cardinals liked what they saw from the start and they weren’t afraid to throw out some incredibly high expectations.

“He reminds me a lot of Matt Forte,” Cardinals running backs coach Stump Mitchell said last May. “You can put him outside and use him as a receiver and he’s a good runner.”

At first blush the Forte comparison seemed ridiculous, especially since it came before Johnson had played a down in the NFL. Yes, Johnson (6-1, 224) is similar in size to Forte (6-1, 221), but could he really be as versatile and effective as the Chicago Bears veteran?

The early evidence shows that when given the opportunity, yes he can.

Unlike the Rams with Gurley, the Cardinals took their time bringing Johnson along. Even then, he was dynamic pretty much every time he touched the ball. Johnson scored twice on his first three NFL touches – across two games – one on a 55-yard catch against the Saints, the other on a 108-yard kickoff return against the Bears.

Even then the Cardinals gave their starts to Andre Ellington and Chris Johnson, and David Johnson never had more than eight carries in the first 11 weeks of the season. It wasn’t until Week 12 that Johnson got his first start, a job he held the rest of the way, gaining a league-best 131.7 yards per game from scrimmage during that time.

Included in that stretch was a 187-yard, three-TD domination of the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 14, and a 99-yard outing against Gurley’s Rams in Week 12, a 27-3 Cardinals victory. He ended up gaining 581 yards on the ground (4.6 yards per carry) and another 457 through the air on 36 catches.

The combination of size, speed, power and receiving ability led one Cardinals official to compare Johnson to the great Franco Harris, and general manager Steve Keim called Johnson’s potential “scary.”

“The way he catches the ball out of the backfield and the weapon he is as a receiver, I think he could end up being one of the better all-around backs in the NFL when you look at being a complete player,” Keim said. “A guy that’s not subbed for in third-down situations, a guy that can play every snap and can be such a weapon in every phase of the game.”

Whether or not Johnson continues to develop into the best in the game remains to be seen, but it’s going to be fun to watch he and Gurley battle it out twice a year in the seasons to come."

I am starting to get annoyed by people saying that Johnson and Rawls are as good as or better than Todd. Seahawks fans in particularly seem to think Rawls is a better running back. I think both he and Johnson will be good running backs in the future but to say they are on Gurley's level is a big stretch. Gurley is athletically superior than both of them in about every way.

It's also not really fair to compare numbers between the 3 because Gurley had to carry the load for most of the season while they didn't. Also they are in much better positions from a offensive standpoint. For Rawls, defenses have to worry about Wilson throwing downfield or taking off on a run. If they stack the box then Wilson will burn them with Baldwin, Graham, and Lockett all to throw to. Same thing for David Johnson. Defenses are worried about Carson Palmer and that loaded WR corps for the Cardinals. If defenses stack the box they will get carved up. Meanwhile, Gurley is facing constant 8-10 man boxes because our passing game is atrocious.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh. Ain't gonna happen and even the author of this article knows it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Niether Rawls or Johnson has the attributes that Gurley has. Johnson is fast, quick and is great in the open field. Rawls has good lateral movement at the line and quick through the hole and can also break tackles. But Gurley has EVERYTHING. Speed, agility, acceleration, toughness, strength, power, and can actually return kicks better then Johnson. So not only do they not possess the combination of athletic ability like Gurley, but he's better at what they're best at. This is a stir the pot article.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
David Johnson? Never heard of her.
David Johnson!
fdbfa54c2744d71731acbb2bc50895d4.jpg

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Niether Rawls or Johnson has the attributes that Gurley has. Johnson is fast, quick and is great in the open field. Rawls has good lateral movement at the line and quick through the hole and can also break tackles. But Gurley has EVERYTHING. Speed, agility, acceleration, toughness, strength, power, and can actually return kicks better then Johnson. So not only do they not possess the combination of athletic ability like Gurley, but he's better at what they're best at. This is a stir the pot article.

Exactly. Gurley is bigger and much stronger than Johnson. He is faster and has better vision than Rawls. You could combine the best physical traits and abilities of Johnson and Rawls and you still wouldn't have the physical specimen that Todd is. Put either of them in the Rams offense last year and they would struggle to get 4.0 YPC and half the TDs Gurley had.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm not sleeping on Johnson a bit. I wanted him pretty badly after watching his tape vs Iowa. He's gonna be a nightmare 2x a year. He can catch the ball as well if not better than he rushes it. I'm thrilled with Gurley, but this guy is right there with him in ability IMO.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just wait till the Rams get a legit QB, then this asinine thought won't enter anyone's minds.

Not saying he's not good, nor Rawls, but they are not on the level of gurley from what I have seen so far.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sleeping on Johnson a bit. I wanted him pretty badly after watching his tape vs Iowa. He's gonna be a nightmare 2x a year. He can catch the ball as well if not better than he rushes it. I'm thrilled with Gurley, but this guy is right there with him in ability IMO.

I think Johnson is going to be good but to say he's right with Gurley in ability is a bit crazy. There is not a single thing Johnson does as a RB that Gurley doesn't do better. Johnson wasn't even the workhorse back for most of the season and he still had less YPC than Todd, all while on that juggernaut Cardinal offense.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If the Rams started using Gurley in the passing game, Johnson wouldn't even be able to hold his jock.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can you imagine Todd Gurley playing for the Cardinals? Not only would they have led the league in passing, like they did, but they would have led the league in rushing too! And they might have won the super bowl! That's how much better Todd Gurley is than David Johnson. And I'm a big Johnson fan!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's nice when Johnson has the benefit of playing in an offense that has a respectable passing game.
That is to say, a very good passing game.
How many stacked boxes did that dude get?

Ima put this right here and let it rest.

briefcase-icon.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy is a fool if he actually believes this.

I have a lot of respect for David Johnson. He's a hell of a receiver. But he doesn't run with much power. He's not Gurley. Gurley has even more size and speed than Johnson with much more ability to run through tackles. And while Gurley isn't as polished of a receiver as Johnson is, Gurley has no limitations in that area. He has a great pair of mitts, he cuts well, and we all know he can run after the catch.

Yep, David Johnson can be the next Matt Forte. But Gurley can be the next Edgerrin James or even Adrian Peterson.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
There is no doubt both Rawls and Johnson are very talented, young backs so give them props...

However, Gurley is on another planet when it comes to the conversation of who's next in line as the NFL's best back. He can do it all and should be even better next year, provided we fortify our line and the football gods look after him with care:D.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
What is scary is how good Gurley is going to be with another year of recovery from his knee injury, not to mention with our young line next year!:mrburnsevil:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Johnson was a great pick for Arians' offense and he's versatile and smart, but he doesn't run nearly as violently as Gurley does...and for a back his size, Johnson isn't one of the more physical runners in the league. It remains to be seen(once Gurley is a full year removed from the ACL), but i also think Gurley has(will have) better in-game breakaway speed. IIRC Gurley was a 4.4 guy and Johnson a 4.5 guy.

Bottom line for me is that i REALLY do like David Johnson's game, but come on...Gurley possesses EVERYTHING you want in a RB and he's shown it despite not being completely 100% yet.

fearsomefour

Legend
He was impressive, he could turn out be a great one.
I am totally happy with Gurley.
After Palmer is watching from the sidelines by week 2 next year Cardinal fans will be wondering why they didn't have a Pro Bowl QB waiting in the wings like Case Keenum.....

This cool-aid doesn't taste right....