Harder but door is still wide open

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Even if the Hawks beat the cards the window for the division championship is still wide open. If the Rams can beat the Hawks and sweep the Cards they probably take the division with having the tiebreaker in a sweep of the Hawks and Cards.

What I still can't fathom is WTF was Staley doing by starting his second-string CBs and playing them most of the game? There is no way the Niners should have easily move into position for that final game-winning FG. Yeah, Goff played like crap. But Staley takes some of the blame by backing off after totally stifling the Niners then backing off when it mattered most.

I'm angry but not giving up. McVay and Goff need to really need to change the passing offense. McVay needs to go to a much faster scheme giving Goff multiple short options. At least one of those pressures came with no dump off options. The door is open but the margin doesn't give them much room for error.

dang

Legend
I said it before and I’ll say it again. If the Rams can’t go 4-2 or better in their division they don’t deserve to win it. Time to shine Offense. Don’t waste the efforts of your top 3 defense. Don’t go down without a fight in each of the remaining 5 games!!!!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Even if the Hawks beat the cards the window for the division championship is still wide open. If the Rams can beat the Hawks and sweep the Cards they probably take the division with having the tiebreaker in a sweep of the Hawks and Cards.

What I still can't fathom is WTF was Staley doing by starting his second-string CBs and playing them most of the game? There is no way the Niners should have easily move into position for that final game-winning FG. Yeah, Goff played like crap. But Staley takes some of the blame by backing off after totally stifling the Niners then backing off when it mattered most.

I'm angry but not giving up. McVay and Goff need to really need to change the passing offense. McVay needs to go to a much faster scheme giving Goff multiple short options. At least one of those pressures came with no dump off options. The door is open but the margin doesn't give them much room for error.

Sounds like Ramsey was dealing with a hip issue, explains why he wasn't on Dodo.

TexasRam

Legend
Shany outcoached Staley. That much is obvious. How they get their FB wide open for an easy huge gain and get
Another huge gainer to Samuel for 3 points to tie and 3 points for the win shows you all you need to know.

Also compare our 3rd and 1 pathetic run where Atmstead blows up Higbee for a loss of yards run to the 4th and 1 conversion they got. Small things that turn the game.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shany outcoached Staley. That much is obvious. How they get their FB wide open for an easy huge gain and get
Another huge gainer to Samuel for 3 points to tie and 3 points for the win shows you all you need to know.

Also compare our 3rd and 1 pathetic run where Atmstead blows up Higbee for a loss of yards run to the 4th and 1 conversion they got. Small things that turn the game.

Defenses know that all they have to do is send 6 and the Rams can't block it. TE's and RBs are poor blockers on this team. They are fine downfield but crap at the LOS. That is a skill that must be coached and it's obvious that the Rams simply don't emphasize that aspect of the game. The Niners simply looked at how pathetic the blocking was against the Dolphins and they had their blueprint. They didn't have to sell out on a max blitz they could do it with stunts and their rush angles forcing the blockers into difficult blocks. Also, unlike the Rams, they really emphasize defensive speed particularly in their front 7.

It's what I'm alluding to, is that the Ram coaches got outcoached at almost all levels. This game proved that Hill's lack of consistency means he is strictly a depth player and I simply don't see them spending precious cap dollars on retaining him. His marginal speed and lack of burst are being exposed. His technique must be spot on for him to defend passes when in man coverage.

Staley fell into his wait for a mistake mode and it cost the Rams. He quit attacking when it meant the most. He reverted to his soft zone at the end and like all prevents all it prevented was a Ram win. Staley allowed himself to be beaten by a backup QB. That last drive is all on Staley.

McVay on his part needs to go to a shorter passing game. Why he keeps abandoning things that work like inside gap and inside zone runs in favor of continuing to try to play a perimeter run attack continues to mystify me. Perimeter runs off a jet sweep I can see but in order for that to work, they need a strong interior run game as well. Establish the inside run, then hit them with occasional jet sweep action.

I am now even more confident that the Rams will either convert Brown into a FB or draft one. This offense needs a power run attack as a single RB is too easy to stop at this level. It places too much on the Oline to reach for some blocks and for the RB to consistently break tackles.

Perhaps the single biggest failing of this offense is poor in-game adjustments to counter the defense's adjustments. For example where was the quick passing game when the Niners came after Goff? That is on Goff needing to anticipate the rush, but it's on McVay to build those adjustments into his offense and insure Goff understands how to read those defenses.

McVay also needs to simply see the weak links in his o-line like Havenstein who simply is far too slow to play OT. Speed beats him much too frequently. Havenstein gets beat with the first step and it's why he's a major false start contributor. McVay must simply order Goff to protect the ball and accept the sack if he gets swamped. This is a problem created by both McVay and Goff both.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Towards the end of last season, we ran alot of 12 personel. Higbee was lights out.
With Higbee beat up (thats the impression I'm under, anyway), it may be whats keeping McVay from running more of it at the moment.
It seems McVay has more faith in Reynolds with 11 personel, than leading with Everett in 12 personel.
Higbee, is possibly being limited at the moment.

I would much rather see a quick, short passing game with Higbee leading the 12 against defenses that dominate our o line.

Also. Last year, Kupp seemed to sit more with the 12.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Defenses know that all they have to do is send 6 and the Rams can't block it. TE's and RBs are poor blockers on this team. They are fine downfield but crap at the LOS. That is a skill that must be coached and it's obvious that the Rams simply don't emphasize that aspect of the game. The Niners simply looked at how pathetic the blocking was against the Dolphins and they had their blueprint. They didn't have to sell out on a max blitz they could do it with stunts and their rush angles forcing the blockers into difficult blocks. Also, unlike the Rams, they really emphasize defensive speed particularly in their front 7.

It's what I'm alluding to, is that the Ram coaches got outcoached at almost all levels. This game proved that Hill's lack of consistency means he is strictly a depth player and I simply don't see them spending precious cap dollars on retaining him. His marginal speed and lack of burst are being exposed. His technique must be spot on for him to defend passes when in man coverage.

Staley fell into his wait for a mistake mode and it cost the Rams. He quit attacking when it meant the most. He reverted to his soft zone at the end and like all prevents all it prevented was a Ram win. Staley allowed himself to be beaten by a backup QB. That last drive is all on Staley.

McVay on his part needs to go to a shorter passing game. Why he keeps abandoning things that work like inside gap and inside zone runs in favor of continuing to try to play a perimeter run attack continues to mystify me. Perimeter runs off a jet sweep I can see but in order for that to work, they need a strong interior run game as well. Establish the inside run, then hit them with occasional jet sweep action.

I am now even more confident that the Rams will either convert Brown into a FB or draft one. This offense needs a power run attack as a single RB is too easy to stop at this level. It places too much on the Oline to reach for some blocks and for the RB to consistently break tackles.

Perhaps the single biggest failing of this offense is poor in-game adjustments to counter the defense's adjustments. For example where was the quick passing game when the Niners came after Goff? That is on Goff needing to anticipate the rush, but it's on McVay to build those adjustments into his offense and insure Goff understands how to read those defenses.

McVay also needs to simply see the weak links in his o-line like Havenstein who simply is far too slow to play OT. Speed beats him much too frequently. Havenstein gets beat with the first step and it's why he's a major false start contributor. McVay must simply order Goff to protect the ball and accept the sack if he gets swamped. This is a problem created by both McVay and Goff both.

First off you can’t blame Staley.A Rams DB need to make a tackle. I’ll say Troy Hill is an excellent tackler,but still David Long is next CB up.

Havenstien should have stuck with support with Higbee on a 3rd & 1. Block for another 4 downs & not the big play. He also got beat late in the game that meant the game.

The Rams I don’t believe win the division but make the playoffs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said it before and I’ll say it again. If the Rams can’t go 4-2 or better in their division they don’t deserve to win it
Who should win it then? It's quite possible all 4 teams end up with 3 losses (or more)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I still can't fathom is WTF was Staley doing by starting his second-string CBs and playing them most of the game?
Lol. You must have been dying waiting for your chance to take a shot Staley, its been what, 7 or 8 weeks since his last questionable game?