Harbaugh will match Spags' career wins on Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Horns of Gold said:
I know we're not allowed to compare the two hires since Harbaugh didn't have to put in a new system, didn't suffer the negative impact of a lockout and took over a much better team...

He DID inherit a much better team in 2011 than Spags did in 2009. There is really nothing to be gained from denying that. There's even less of a reason to deny that something like that made a huge difference.

In fact, he not only inherited a good and stable OL, he inherited one of the top front 7s in the NFL.

I really don't think you gain headway by trying to dismiss that. It's a foundational kind of distinction.

And he also DID simplify the offense. Which is one reason they're 31st in passing attempts. One example: while the Rams were busily adding sight adjustments to the menu of a sophomore qb who already honestly admitted he had trouble making pre-snap reads and reading defenses generally, the entire SF offense subtracted sight adjustments altogether. This simplifies things, obviously, for the OL, WRs, and qb combined. But especially, of course, for the qb.

Your real argument, it seems to me, is that Harbaugh responded to the lockout and the subtraction of camp 2 a days by simplifying the offense, while the Rams added a more complicated offense on the shoulders of a young qb (and apparently didn't make much of an effort to simplify it).

That's a valid criticism if you're going to compare the two.

On the other hand, leaving out or erasing the fact that Harbaugh inherited a lot of first-rate veteran talent is the opposite--it makes the criticism less valid.

joeybittick

Rookie
Horns of Gold said:
...with a victory. He'll do so in 12 games to Spags' 42.

I know we're not allowed to compare the two hires since Harbaugh didn't have to put in a new system, didn't suffer the negative impact of a lockout and took over a much better team...even though the 49ers didn't have a winning record since 2002 and a 46-82 record during that time.

As far as Sunday's game goes, I actually think the Rams will cover the 13 1/2 point spread. SF hasn't exactly been dominant this season, but I think they'll control the ball enough to keep the Rams' offense to their one-touchdown average and win 23-10.

I'm looking at the Rams' defensive grades at Pro Football Focus and I really can't explain how bad they are against the run. I'm sure this is puzzling to Spags as well.

Of their front seven, only Long and JL have negative grades against the run. In fact, Bannan and Robbins ranks 8th and 11th in the NFL at their position against the run. James Hall ranks #12 at his position so it's really dumbfounding.

Chris Long is what he is...a beast of a pass rusher...and he'll likely never be good against the run and he really doesn't have to be. It's imperative the Rams make a change in their lineup to compensate for this.

The change I would suggest is moving JL to ROLB since he's such a liability in the middle and move either Poppinga or Chamberlain to the middle for a season and see how they do (both have positive grades but they rank # 30 and 27 vs. run at position). I then draft a LOLB who was a stud run stopper in college to play behind Long.

I am just curious why the headline and first paragraph of this thread was necessary? It is like you snuck in some stuff at the end as if you were really trying to figure out this issue, but in reality you just wanted to post a shot at Spags and point out his record... Oh, while also praising a 49er... :what:

Lesson

Oh, really?
Harbaugh inherited a team with 6 wins last season.

Spags inherited a team that won 3 and 2 games the 2 seasons before he took over.

Give it a rest.

joeybittick

Rookie
zn said:
Horns of Gold said:
I know we're not allowed to compare the two hires since Harbaugh didn't have to put in a new system, didn't suffer the negative impact of a lockout and took over a much better team...

He DID inherit a much better team in 2011 than Spags did in 2009. There is really nothing to be gained from denying that. There's even less of a reason to deny that something like that made a huge difference.

In fact, he not only inherited a good and stable OL, he inherited one of the top front 7s in the NFL.

I really don't think you gain headway by trying to dismiss that. It's a foundational kind of distinction.

And he also DID simplify the offense. Which is one reason they're 31st in passing attempts. One example: while the Rams were busily adding sight adjustments to the menu of a sophomore qb who already honestly admitted he had trouble making pre-snap reads and reading defenses generally, the entire SF offense subtracted sight adjustments altogether. This simplifies things, obviously, for the OL, WRs, and qb combined. But especially, of course, for the qb.

Your real argument, it seems to me, is that Harbaugh responded to the lockout and the subtraction of camp 2 a days by simplifying the offense, while the Rams added a more complicated offense on the shoulders of a young qb (and apparently didn't make much of an effort to simplify it).

That's a valid criticism if you're going to compare the two.

On the other hand, leaving out or erasing the fact that Harbaugh inherited a lot of first-rate veteran talent is the opposite--it makes the criticism less valid.

Ah, man, have I welcomed you back to the site yet? :sly: :good1:

Anonymous

Lesson said:
Harbaugh inherited a team with 6 wins last season.

Spags inherited a team that won 3 and 2 games the 2 seasons before he took over.

Give it a rest.

My football-lite youngest daughter can read a W/L record.

What she CAN'T do is tell you how talented the roster is regardless of the record.

The MINUTE Harbaugh was hired, I posted (elsewhere) the equivalent of "oh-oh...he's a good coach and he's taking over a talent heavy roster."

And the minute I saw who Singletary was in 09 I thought, he ain't taking these players anywhere. He had the horses but didn't know how to use them.

I wasn't alone in thinking either thing (far from it).

A "record" is not an argument. You don't even have to follow football to quote a record.

Anonymous

joeybittick said:
Ah, man, have I welcomed you back to the site yet? :sly: :good1:

I don't think you need to be mean to me like that.

Ooops, wait, this is a computer issue!

Let's see...turn off "attack mode."

*Click*

There. Better.

Hey! Good to BE back. How are things?

:mrgreen: