Happy Medium Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Every article I seem to read (especially media from the PD) is pushing hard for the up-tempo, no huddle or hurry up offense. They often refer to Sam's success the last two games along with how he appears comfortable with this style of offense.

I know I am in the minority, but I disagree for a few reasons.

1. Fisher knows this team better than any of us and entering year two of a major roster rehaul we are not the deepest, most talented team in the league. Lets say EVERYTHING goes PERFECT with an up tempo offense and we score quickly on a majority of possesions. Our D plays more often, risking fatigue, more rotations (where we are not real deep) and is put in a position to defend the pass more often than the run. We have a young and inexperienced secondary while it looks to me like our run D is our strength. Although we have yet to go against a top tier back, the run D seems to be our bread and butter. Fisher wants to play towards that and a hurry up attack does just the opposite (look at teams torching Chip Kelley's D through the air).

2. Who knows what the no huddle or hurry up looks like when the D is not on their heels. I am not taking anything away from Sam he has looked awful impressive the last two games, but especially the Atl game we were down big. They played a softer D leaving the field open for completions. It reminded me of how a two minute offense always seems to march down the field on a prevent D. I am curious how they would look running this offense at the beginning of the game, but I have a feeling it would be different.

3. Due to our youth and lack of depth one of the keys to this team being successful is winning the TO battle and controlling the clock. Although we have given up two scoring def TD's already I think this team is still learning the offense. You got a new TE, new WR and a ton of second year guys. Speeding things up leads to more plays, the possibility of more mistakes and more TO's. You turn the ball over and the other team controls the clock we are going to lose a ton of games no matter what offense we run. But hurrying things up may create more confusion and more TO's.

With that being said I am not 100% in favor of the short drop off stuff we are currently seeing. My suggestion or question is why not something or an offense in the middle? A happy medium. Mix in some deep shots, out routes, etc. to control the clock, move the chains and get some points on the board. I know this is easier said than done, but I would love to see some deeper shots down the field to open up the run game. Let Sam go shotgun if that is what he is comfortable with, but control the clock at the same time.

Would love to hear you guys thoughts......

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think we all want a better balance, but also want Shotty to not be afraid to mix in some up-tempo offense earlier in the game. Hopefully we can get our running game going vs. Dallas and see T. Austin and some others get a few carries. That's what I want.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
My biggest issue is have a sense of urgency. I feel like Rams so far this year have to be down before they get it.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I couldn't agree more.

I don't think you start off the game in a no huddle. You might get a favorable match up and keep it with a no huddle, but even in that scenario, there's no need to go with a hurry up.

I don't really mind the underneath stuff, I think a team should always exploit what a defense gives them and then when they try to take that away you adjust and take what they give up in the middle.

We haven't seen the best of this offense yet, and in my opinion, the hurry up or even no huddle will have little to do with that.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Zaphod said:
I don't really mind the underneath stuff, I think a team should always exploit what a defense gives them and then when they try to take that away you adjust and take what they give up in the middle.

I agree with you here.

In week one it seemed 'Zona was willing to give it up. However, what bothered me is how Schotty took that game plan into the Atl. game. Atl. clearly prepared for it and seemed to always have a guy around Sams checkdown option. Instead of changing or looking to exploit the WR/DB matchups we kept doing the same thing.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't want to be predictable on both sides of the ball and after 2 games it seems like we need a major revamping of the game plan so we don't get down big in the first half.

TexasRam

Legend
Atlanta threw very few deep balls. In fact a great amount of their yardage was quick outs and screens. They had some good 10 yard stuff too.

Where Schott is Inept is calling the right play at the right time and then coaching it so the execution works. When we try to run an out or WR screen or Reverse or Tavon in the backfield play is consistently fails. Atlanta runs two back to back WR screens to Julio jones on a critical drive in the 4th quarter. Perfectly executed. When we try such plays it fails.

We need mid routes yes, but we need better game calling and better execution which is all coaching.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
My issue with the offense is the designed short pass. I understand that Fisher is a run first coach; however, if Sam is going to use his arm, let him use his arm. These check downs are by design. Sam is hitting them without really looking downfield. Majority of these passes are an extension of the the run game and because ofthis, our offense is stuggling until the D softens up. DRich is not a guy who is going to break a lot of tackles so when you put a corner and safety on both Givens and Cook you have the ability to get Pettis and Austin to have mismatches, but they have Austin running 3 yard routes. It affects the run game.

I'm not saying go all mad mike with it...just call some 10 yard route stuff and let the check down be a check down instead of the primary target.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
HitStick said:
My issue with the offense is the designed short pass. I understand that Fisher is a run first coach; however, if Sam is going to use his arm, let him use his arm. These check downs are by design. Sam is hitting them without really looking downfield. Majority of these passes are an extension of the the run game and because ofthis, our offense is stuggling until the D softens up. DRich is not a guy who is going to break a lot of tackles so when you put a corner and safety on both Givens and Cook you have the ability to get Pettis and Austin to have mismatches, but they have Austin running 3 yard routes. It affects the run game.

I'm not saying go all mad mike with it...just call some 10 yard route stuff and let the check down be a check down instead of the primary target.

Honestly I believe that right now the idea is to get the ball in playmakers hands and let them do the work. That being said I also believe we need more of a mid game...unfortunately the problem I have been seeing there is that Cook, as of right now, is pretty much the only consistent medium route runner. Givens is definitely comming along, but his specialty is speed and he will be running a majority of our deep routes...whether it be to occupy the safeties or catch a pass. Pettis is just so darned inconsistent...he flashes...it may be all he will ever be. The key to the mid level game IMO is getting Quickie up to speed...his large body will give him an advantage over the middle ( Saw this in camp and some game film, it's how they want to use him) as he progresses and we have multiple mid level threats the passing game should open....right now it is too easy for the defense to key in on Cook and Givens limiting us to the short pass.

Yus the short stuff has been schemed in...but there are very viable mid level routes schemed in route combo's on those same plays...more consistent play from Pettis and Quick will open this offense wide for anything we want!!!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Personally i think with this being a learning year for the team maybe fish could let same read the defense and call some plays himself get him into the habit of knowing the right plays to run anf audible ala Peyton Manning

Watercop

UDFA
Why does everyone assume that if you run a no-huddle offense that it automatically means that as soon as the play is over you line up and run the next play as soon as possible? Look at what Peyton Manning has done for years. His teams line up, but sometimes they fully use the whole 25 seconds to run a play. That allows the offensive coordinator to signal in a play, or allows the quarterback to scan the field and audible out into a better play. The whole purpose is not to allow the defense to substitute with fresh players, theoretically giving you an advantage. If the defense tries to substitute the quarterback has his people lined up at scrimmage and can run a play to cause the defense to have too many on the field or just be lined up in a confused coverage state. :grr: When the defense gets tired it's easier to run and pass!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Watercop said:
Why does everyone assume that if you run a no-huddle offense that it automatically means that as soon as the play is over you line up and run the next play as soon as possible? Look at what Peyton Manning has done for years. His teams line up, but sometimes they fully use the whole 25 seconds to run a play. That allows the offensive coordinator to signal in a play, or allows the quarterback to scan the field and audible out into a better play. The whole purpose is not to allow the defense to substitute with fresh players, theoretically giving you an advantage. If the defense tries to substitute the quarterback has his people lined up at scrimmage and can run a play to cause the defense to have too many on the field or just be lined up in a confused coverage state. :grr: When the defense gets tired it's easier to run and pass!

THANK YOU!

Exactly!

I don't think Sam is in Peyton's class relative to experience... but damn! Take control of the tempo, Rams!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Watercop is correct. No huddle doesn't mean that you have to hurry up. It just means that the players don't huddle forcing defenders to stay on the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memphis Ram said:
Watercop is correct. No huddle doesn't mean that you have to hurry up. It just means that the players don't huddle forcing defenders to stay on the field.

We've got at least 3 guys on the petition... :razzed: