Happy Independence Day!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Declaration of Independence signed on July 4th, 1776 was an aspirational document. There was no federal govt, of course. General George Washington was getting his ass kicked in 1776 and 1777. Funding for the Continental Army was almost non-existent. The Brits didn't respect Washington nor his army of amateurs. My maternal Grandfather Philemon Hall was an Ensign with the 2nd Connecticut Regiment of Foot. This regiment endured Valley Forge's hunger, lack of clothing, and other essentials.

Yet, a Prussian named Baron Von Steuben arrived and trained Washington's Army into a professional fighting force near the end of this starving time.. Was he a Baron or a true General Prussian General? Who knows. He wrote the Regulations for the Order and Discipline of the troops of the United States, which became the US Army's field manual for decades. It was also called the Blue Book and was used until 1812. The Brits knew they faced a different army after this point.

View: https://i.imgur.com/umaDxEZ.jpg?2

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The British occupied the city of Philadelphia and enjoyed wine, women and song as the Patriots starved and froze at Valley Forge, 18 short miles away.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

[Today] marks the day in 1776 when the Second Continental Congress unanimously adopted the Declaration of Independence, signaling the official separation of the colonies from Great Britain amid the Revolutionary War.

Since that day, July 4, 1776 has been considered America’s “birthday,” making her 244 years old today.

According to the Library of Congress, Philadelphians marked the first anniversary of American independence with a celebration, but it wasn’t until after the War of 1812 that July 4th celebrations spread across the new nation.

Congress passed a law-making Independence Day a federal holiday on June 28, 1870. The day is often celebrated with parades, fireworks shows and parties, though much of the celebrations this year have been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Here are some facts about the Declaration of Independence from Constitutionfacts.com:

Despite conspiracy theories and movies, there isn’t a secret map or code on the back of the Declaration of Independence. There are words, however. An unknown person wrote “Original Declaration of Independence dated 4th July 1776” on the back. It’s believed that was added as a label when the document was rolled up for storage.

Thomas Jefferson is often called the “author” of the Declaration of Independence, but he wasn’t the only person who contributed important ideas. Jefferson was a member of a five-person committee appointed by the Continental Congress to write the Declaration. The committee included Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Robert Livingston, and Roger Sherman.

The Declaration of Independence wasn’t signed on July 4, 1776. In fact, independence was formally declared on July 2, 1776, a date that John Adams believed would be “the most memorable epocha in the history of America.” On July 4, 1776, Congress approved the final text of the Declaration. It wasn’t signed until August 2, 1776.

The two youngest signers of the Declaration of Independence were both from South Carolina. Thomas Lynch, Jr. and Edward Rutledge of South Carolina were both born in 1749 and were only 26 when they signed the Declaration. The oldest signer was Benjamin Franklin, who was born in 1706 and 70 at the time of the Declaration.

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on July 4, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the vote to approve the Declaration of Independence.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Happy Independence Day, everyone! It's a shame I can't eat burgers or bratwursts (don't shame me; brats are so much better than hot dogs) today because of the pandemic, but what can you do, eh? I hope the Ramily has some awesome times for this 4th!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
happy-treason-day-peasants-24636390.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Happy 4th all! In the history of this world there has been no country that has accumulated more power and yet used it for the good of humanity overall. We got some stuff to sort still, but the future remains bright and we remain as the greatest example yet of a system of government that actually serves the people. Pretty fantastic IMO.

Doing up some burgers today on the grill with all sorts of fixins. And serving rice with them. Why? Because this is America and I can do whatever the fuck I want. :horns::cool::horns:

1593883138161.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happy 4th all! In the history of this world there has been no country that has accumulated more power and yet used it for the good of humanity overall. We got some stuff to sort still, but the future remains bright and we remain as the greatest example yet of a system of government that actually serves the people. Pretty fantastic IMO.

Doing up some burgers today on the grill with all sorts of fixins. And serving rice with them. Why? Because this is America and I can do whatever the fuck I want. :horns::cool::horns:

View attachment 37197
Fuckin' A! ~ flv
(exact quote) @flv

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been known to be dismissive of the French, especially after the WW2. It seemed that they resented having to receive help from a culture that they considered to be inferior. American/British troops stormed the beaches of Normandy and kicked the Wehrmacht from French soil. Within years, they expressed resentment towards those who saved them.

Let's go back a few years to WW1, When the words by an aid to General Pershing (Charles Stanton) were spoken over the tomb of the Marquis de Lafayette...."Lafayette, we are here!"

The Marquis de Lafayette was a very young and brave nobleman during the reign of King Louis XVI who was enamored with the American revolutionaries. He was crucial in raising aid, arms, and military expertise for the rebellious colonists. Lafayette fought in the American revolution and was an American hero. Thank you France.

In the late 19th century, french sculptor Fredric Auguste Bartholdi created the the Statue of Liberty, with the metal framework made by Gustave Eiffel. It was a gift from the people of France to the people of America. Lady Liberty actually stood for 2-3 years in France, waiting for American financing in order to build the pedestal. Frenchmen did not want the statue to leave France, and this lack of financing almost kept the french lady in France. The pedestal was actually a few feet taller than the statue itself, and when everything was completed in New York harbor, it was the tallest structure in New York City.

The tablet that Lady Liberty holds, just says this:
JULY IV
MDCCLXXVI

Thanks France.

View: https://i.imgur.com/Lf7UTqQ.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fuckin' A! ~ flv
(exact quote) @flv
Our British brothers should celebrate July 4th as well tbh, because we're basically an extension of British Imperialism. So much of what we do and how we do it is based on them and how they did things. Even the Navy, our ranks are still borrowed from the British Empire as well as many of our ceremonies like crossing the line, seamanship origins, etc.

So pat yourself on the backs my brothers from other mothers. You done good. :biggrin:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our British brothers should celebrate July 4th as well tbh, because we're basically an extension of British Imperialism. So much of what we do and how we do it is based on them and how they did things. Even the Navy, our ranks are still borrowed from the British Empire as well as many of our ceremonies like crossing the line, seamanship origins, etc.

So pat yourself on the backs my brothers from other mothers. You done good. :biggrin:
You bloody bloke! Are you saying that the USA is Britain 2.0? A better version? SONOFA! ~ ~ @flv

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"