HALFWAY NICK/SAM Comparison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
rank att comp pct yds yds/a lng TD INT Sack QB rtg yds/g
27 Nick Foles, QB STL 128 220 58.2 1,478 6.72 68 7 5 12 79.7 185
28 Sam Bradford, QB PHI 195 310 62.9 2,061 6.65 62 10 10 14 79.5 258

Stat Based Comparison of the trade.
Sam turning it over more than usual and continuing his low yards per attempt which I find telling.
Nick Completing a very low percentage of his pass attempts and mustering a poultry 185 a game.

That's my very brief assessment without any consideration to system or personnel.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Hanging on to that fourth rounder is really nice. At least Sam in concerted into being the starter after that very nice game he had.

As for the QB's, Sam is a better QB. But Nick is tougher and a better leader, I say. I still think it was a pretty fair trade. I don't think either team is a loser out of it unless Philly somehow fails to resign Sam. That would be very cold on Sam's part.

Foles's numbers aren't all that surprising. First half of the season will hopefully be clearly viewed as new everything woes. I'm hoping for a different story over the second half.

Sam's low numbers are actually really surprising. IDK what's going on there. Still plenty of time for both QB's to set the record straight.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think Bradford's last game was pretty good. Lots of people don't take the mentality over the knee into account for the slow start. But he seems to be slowly building confidence. Hindsight it was a good trade for us just from the salary cap alone. But if I had a choice as a HC to start a healthy Bradford or a healthy Foles for a team in 2016 I'd choose Bradford probably. I think he'll get better the farther away from the injury he gets. Now taking price into account could be a different story...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm pretty sure both teams would have been better off sticking with what they had.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sam's low numbers are actually really surprising. IDK what's going on there. Still plenty of time for both QB's to set the record straight.

I am not surprised by Sam's low numbers. I never thought he was a great system fit because of his lack of mobility. And, when he gets hit his timing and accuracy goes way down. It has always been a downfall of his. Phillies Oline is not the greatest. If they could keep him free of pressure then we would see the accurate throws and high completion percentage but that is true for most every QB. Lacking mobility and toughness are two huge downfalls for Bradford. They cancel his best attributes.

RamsFan14

Starter

i'm pretty sure both teams would have been better off sticking with what they had.

Been wondering the same thing. Quite tough to predict stuff like this, but one could argue that they might have been better staying put. Who knows, but interesting thing to bring up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

On the short term I think you are probably correct. Sam would probably have better numbers than Foles here, and vice versa because both are familiar with the players/offense. Foles has not picked things up as fast as hoped. He is not looking like a fit for this scheme. For the long term though it was a good deal because I think Bradford would be a free agent because the Rams weren't going to offer him the contract that he was looking for, or thinking he deserved. Just my opinion here but he wasn't getting longterm stud starter money from this team with his injuries and average. I don't think he would have been happy with their offer if his agent felt a team like Cleveland would gladly outbid for his services. So, getting the 2nd rounder was a good move. If you recall nobody really felt Sam was even going to be ready to play in the beginning of the season.

Irony would be if the Rams resign Bradford and the Eagles resign Foles wouldn't it? But then Sam would probably get the big contract.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
We made out like bandits! We dumped Bradford and his salary. We got a 2nd round pick. Both QBs have sucked so that part is a tie. I'm just glad someone was stupid enough to take Bradford off our hands, let's be honest there is no way Bradford was getting a big 2nd contract from the Rams. We had no choice but to make the trade. Best part is there's still hope that Foles can turn it around but he needs help from the Oline and the WR's.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We made out like bandits! We dumped Bradford and his salary. We got a 2nd round pick. Both QBs have sucked so that part is a tie. I'm just glad someone was stupid enough to take Bradford off our hands, let's be honest there is no way Bradford was getting a big 2nd contract from the Rams. We had no choice but to make the trade. Best part is there's still hope that Foles can turn it around but he needs help from the Oline and the WR's.

This. For the money Bradford wanted, there was no way he was going to be in St. Louis long term. Rather than lose him from nothing.... we managed to dump his huge salary in exchange for a 2nd round pick and a far more durable NFL QB. I consider the deal to be a huge win for the Rams. I don't think there is any question Bradford is better than Foles. But I do not think they are worlds apart, and perhaps no team asks less of their QB than the Rams. Given the aforementioned, Snisher committed robbery.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think Bradford is the better QB but he definitely would have been injured the way our line has been playing. Besides we got some nice picks out of that trade

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Regardless, I'm just glad it's looking like we will get a pretty decent 2nd rounder and keeping our 4th. I liked Sam but have long since moved on. I just haven't seen anything out of Sam that tells me he is taking that next step. Foles is certainly not lighting it up but I'm just not sure Sam would be either after watching him play this season. Doesn't really matter now. I actually would be fine with Sam tanking the rest of the season so we can get the best pick possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
rank att comp pct yds yds/a lng TD INT Sack QB rtg yds/g
27 Nick Foles, QB STL 128 220 58.2 1,478 6.72 68 7 5 12 79.7 185
28 Sam Bradford, QB PHI 195 310 62.9 2,061 6.65 62 10 10 14 79.5 258

Stat Based Comparison of the trade.
Sam turning it over more than usual and continuing his low yards per attempt which I find telling.
Nick Completing a very low percentage of his pass attempts and mustering a poultry 185 a game.

That's my very brief assessment without any consideration to system or personnel.
Pretty interesting.
Numbers are similar, mostly skewed by pass attempts.
Otherwise very comparable.
One plays in a QB friendly offense and the other plays in one that isnt
Plus we get the 2nd rounder.

KDS73

Rookie
They seem to be two guys heading in opposite directions at this point. I expected a slow start from Bradford. It had been almost two years since he had live rounds (regular season game) fired at him, and he hardly played at all in preseason. But he's shaking off the rust and getting more comfortable with the system it seems. Every week he appears to play a little better than the previous one. Foles seems to be battling some mental demons right now or something. Not sure what the problems is. Even when receivers are open and he's getting time to throw, he's still struggling with a lot of his passes. Hopefully it's something he'll snap out of. My biggest fear with him is that his one good season in Philly was the result of being an unknown qb in an unknown, fast paced system that had many defenses running around tired and confused. Defenses didn't know anything about a Chip Kelly offense, and they didn't know anything about Foles either then. It really was the perfect scenario for a qb to excel in. At least for one season anyway. Foles fell back to the middle of the pack last year in his second season in Kelly's system.

The majority opinion always seemed to be that Bradford is easily the better qb IF he can stay healthy. But that a big if. So far, he's staying healthy. But with his history, who knows how long that might last.

nighttrain

Legend
THIS

train

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Post of the day!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as Bradford vs Foles, I'd call it a wash. If Sam were still here, his INT's would be down but he'd still be checking down far too often, which might be what his coaches wanted out of him. In Philly his coaches want him to be more aggressive.

As far as the overall trade I think we did better with that. Neither QB is turning out to be what the teams hoped for. And we get an extra second rounder. Which could be huge.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Bradford hasn't done as well as I thought he'd do in Philly, but I'm not that impressed with Foles here either. Granted, not all of it is Foles fault, the pass blocking is lacking, and the receivers are average on a good day, but he does get a share of the blame.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not surprised by Sam's low numbers. I never thought he was a great system fit because of his lack of mobility. And, when he gets hit his timing and accuracy goes way down. It has always been a downfall of his. Phillies Oline is not the greatest. If they could keep him free of pressure then we would see the accurate throws and high completion percentage but that is true for most every QB. Lacking mobility and toughness are two huge downfalls for Bradford. They cancel his best attributes.
Bradford took some pretty nasty hits in his career honestly toughness was never in question with leadership maybe but he is still more mobile than Foles and that's saying something