Haden on Browns: 'You could put their talent against anybody's talent in the division'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lent-against-anybodys-talent-in-the-division/

Joe Haden on stacked Browns team: 'You could put their talent against anybody's talent in the division'
The Steelers cornerback expects the AFC North to be competitive in 2019

Joe Haden spent his first seven NFL seasons with the Browns, the team that selected him seventh overall in the 2010 NFL Draft. From 2010-2016, the team averaged 4.1 wins a season, the lowlight for Haden coming in 2016 when Cleveland went 1-15. The lowlight for the organization came a year later when they went 0-16, but Haden was cut before the season and promptly signed with the Steelers, where's he's been one of Pittsburgh's best defensive players the last two seasons.

Haden was back in northeast Ohio to take part in Jarvis Landry's celebrity softball game and he talked about the 2019 Browns, who are not only favorites to win the AFC North, but are looking at 16-to-1 odds to win the Super Bowl.

Specifically: Why did this team, which was so bad for so long, wait until Haden was gone to finally improve?

"If you want me to be honest, yes [I wondered about that]," Haden said on Saturday, via Cleveland.com's Mary Kat Cabot. "Every year I was here, I always felt like 'this is going to be the year.' No matter who the quarterback was, we were like, 'he's good enough to be a professional quarterback, he can make it happen for us.' I'm not in any way upset, but like I'm like 'damn, if I was there, that sure would've been sweet.'"

The Steelers went 13-3 in 2017, but lost in the divisional round to the Jaguars. And last season, the team came apart down the stretch -- after a 7-2-1 start, Pittsburgh finished 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs. And while Haden's first year with his new team was also the first time he ever appeared in the postseason, he also knows that it takes more than just a stacked roster to have sustained success.

"Obviously with talent coming to the team, everybody understands how good they can be," Haden said. "You all got to put it together, but with Baker being a young quarterback, Odell, Jarvis, bringing great defensive pieces, Myles (Garrett), it's talent. It speaks for itself. On paper it looks amazing. So that's the thing, just making sure that they stay together and work together as a team. That's going to be one of the biggest things. But as far as outside looking in, it looks amazing for sure."

But can the Browns win the AFC North, something they have never done?

"I would say they're up there," Haden said. "You could put their talent against anybody's talent in the division and that's what makes it good. At the end of the day, that's not who wins it all the time. You've got to be a team. You've got to do it on special teams, offense and defense. Knowing that you have the athletes, now it's just performing and taking coaching and just jelling together as a team."

The Steelers, who won the division in '17, spent the early months of this offseason trying to explain what went wrong in '18. Coach Mike Tomlin drew criticism for his handling of Antonio Brown, who was traded to Oakland in March, as well as the team's late-season slide. Weeks after Brown's trade Haden came to Tomlin's defense.

"He has complete control of the team," he told NFL Network's Stacey Dales. "You have two totally different situations with Le'Veon [Bell] and with Antonio. It is what is. It's a business. You can't blame coach T for that. He's one of the best coaches I've ever played for. You can only ask for honesty. He keeps it real with you. He lets you know exactly where you stand. He lets you know exactly how he feels about you, if you're productive, if you're not. He treats everyone fairly, but I'm gonna say not everybody gets treated the same."

On Saturday Haden reminded everyone that while the Browns have an impressive roster, the Steelers aren't exactly slouches -- even with the loss of Bell and Brown.

"At the end of the day, if you don't have a quarterback, you don't have a chance," Haden explained. "And I feel like JuJu Smith-Schuster, he's a great receiver. I feel like James Conner, he's been doing his thing. We have one of the best offensive lines in the league. And we've got Ben [Roethlisberger], that's been doing it for so long, won championships and won everything like that.

"I feel like we have great defensive players, bringing in [2019 first-round pick Devin] Bush, our D-line's crazy. Offensive line, I feel like they're the best in the league. So we just gotta put it all together too.''

The Browns host the Steelers in Week 11 and the two teams meet in Pittsburgh two weeks after that.

oldnotdead

Legend
Talent on a team is certainly a good thing. But it's not the only thing that makes a team a legitimate SB contender. Coaching, i.e. good game management and schemes that take advantage of that talent are equally important. They have a rookie HC so lets see how he fares before crowning this team. I've seen plenty of coaches with teams with enough talent to win big but didn't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to find a more hyped team than the Browns this off-season.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Baker Mayfield might be heading to a sophomore slump. Two-reads then bail out of the pocket?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Anybody see much of Mayfield last year? I didn’t get to see him much. His stat line looks good.

Just not sure about the intangibles.

He's not only a play maker, he plays with a chip on his shoulder and IMO, will be a very good QB. The Browns will be in some tough games, if they win them, they will be a playoff team, if not, they might end up 8-8. Barring injury, I think they are ready to possibly win that division, but they will have to win at Pittsburgh and at Baltimore IMO.

One area of concern is DC Steve Wilks as I thought Gregg Williams was an excellent DC along with his son Blake even after the Senior Williams became Interim Head Coach. Wilks was a disaster as a Head Coach and was only a DC for one year in Carolina under the defensive minded Head Coach Ron Rivera, so this is where I would have some concern from a coaching perspective.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They should get into the playoffs on talent and their QB. But I think they get knocked out quickly.

Their HC is in over his head IMO.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Browns are getting the hype. Is it deserved? I don't know. They do seem to be trending upward and this year's media darlings. But you have to play the game to know for sure. They have a pretty good running back in Chubb. Two good receivers in OBJ and Landry. And up and coming quarterback in Mayfield. But once teams start to get a feel how to defend them how are they gonna adjust?

I'm in the believe it when I see it camp. They had a nice year last year but everyone's looking at how far they came from the previous two seasons. Its a feel good story for a franchise who's synonymous with losing. But its not like they turned it around the way McVay and the Rams did.

Go out and win the division. Make a little noise in the playoffs. Do that and I might believe the hype. Until then, they're still the Browns. The 49ers found out the hard way what can happen to the media darlings.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
They have a lot of “me” type knuckleheads with lots of talent. They might be one 2 game losing streak away from imploding

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They have a lot of “me” type knuckleheads with lots of talent. They might be one 2 game losing streak away from imploding

No doubt. They are probably more talented than the Steelers who unloaded talented knuckleheads this offseason. But the Steelers will still probably be the better team because their coach can hold the room together.

nighttrain

Legend
seen so many hyped teams, SF last season for one, i gotta see a bit of this Browns squad before anointing them any crowns
train

Psycho_X

Legend
No doubt but as we all know coaching is just as important. Heck I’d say they are as stacked as anyone in their conference arguably. But their division definitely. I don’t trust Lamar Jackson as a legit QB enough to feel the Ravens, the Bengals are the Bengals, and Steelers have a lot of offseason drama followed by purging their best offensive weapons. So I see no reason the Browns shouldn’t coast into the playoffs if coached moderately well.

Anybody see much of Mayfield last year? I didn’t get to see him much. His stat line looks good.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm#header

Just not sure about the intangibles.

I watched several, the kid has “it”. Injuries and terrible coaching could always derail his career but he should be exciting to watch for years to come. He’s cocky to the point most people not Browns fans will hate him but he can play. Glad him and Mahomes are in the afc.

oldnotdead

Legend
Let me ask you guys a question. Do you think the Rams would be the SB contender that they are without McVay as HC? Every year the Chargers are moderately hyped as a contender and every year they disappoint. This has been going on for a long time. Last year again they were hyped as a SB team. Last year they choked again. Common denominator is poor coaching. Each year the team under performs and that is all about coaching.

You cannot under estimate the value of a elite HC. That's why all this hype about the Browns is silly. Kitchen's has the pedigree on paper. But he's never been the HC on any level I believe. So until he earns his chops we should wait and see if he can live up to the hype.

Ram65

Legend
Kitchens has a nice back round with Parcels and the Cardinals for many years. A Former QB at Alabama he related to Mayfield last year. He seems like an offensive football guy that is all about football. I don't see why he can't win. On the outside he may not fit the McVay mold but, probably has similar football traits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Kitchens
==============================================
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jiming...coach-and-it-was-worth-the-wait/#722451e57687
The Browns Finally Introduced Their New Head Coach, And It Was Worth The Wait
Jim Ingraham
Contributor
SportsMoneySign up here.
jk/ r
In setting his agenda right up front, Kitchens somehow managed to channel John Madden, Albert Einstein and General George Patton in one 48-word declaration of operation:

“We’re going to have fun. The fun’s in the winning, and we’re going to have fun. So, in an algebraic equation, if we’re going to have fun and the fun’s in the winning, then we’re going to win, and we’re going to have a damn good time doing it.”

Almost until the day he was hired, Kitchen, who has zero head coaching experience, was looked upon as a dark horse, a long shot, to land the job in Cleveland, where he served as running backs coach and interim offensive coordinator in his first season with the team.

“It takes a lot of guts to do what they did,” said Kitchens of Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam. “I know I’m not a popular choice. I understand that, and I don’t care. You’ve got to block out the noise in this business. The noise is what gets you in trouble, because you start making decisions based on things that don’t pertain to winning.”

Kitchens would not be Central Casting’s idea of a head coach in today’s NFL. He’s a moon-faced, chunky, stubble-whiskered specimen, who looks more like your Uncle Buck than a former quarterback at the University of Alabama, which he was in the mid-1990s.

It was, in fact, in Alabama that the Browns first appeared on Kitchens’ radar.

“I was a Browns fan growing up in Gadsden, Alabama,” he said. “It was Alabama football on the radio on Saturday. But on Sunday you had to do something more than go to church and eat a lot. When Cleveland was on TV, I was watching the Browns. I liked their uniforms. I loved their helmet. The simplicity of the helmet. I went to Alabama, and we didn’t change our helmets, so I’m a traditionalist.”

What he’s not was a hot head coaching candidate — despite an impressive resume as an assistant coach at the college and NFL level — until Browns general manager John Dorsey’s search committee brought his name to the Haslams for approval as the team’s new coach.

“I don’t know why,” said Kitchens, when asked why he was never at the top of any head coach candidate lists. “In today’s times, if you don’t self-promote yourself, sometimes you do get overlooked. I was always under the assumption that if you do your job well enough, you’ll get recognized.”

Yet Kitchens never got recognized for a head coaching job until now.

“I don’t know why,” he said again. “It could be my dialect. It could be something as simple as that.”

Or as complicated as this: had the Browns not fired head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley in the middle of the 2018 season, Kitchens would still be the Browns’ running backs coach. But following those mid-season firings, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was promoted to interim head coach and Kitchens was promoted to offensive coordinator. The Browns’ offense, particularly rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield, flourished under Kitchens’ guidance, and the rest is now head coach history.

“His resume was on full display for eight weeks,” said Dorsey of Kitchens’ stint as offensive coordinator. “So, you had to pay attention to that. You saw how he brought the players together, how he galvanized the offense.”

“The offense was going to be whatever they wanted it to be,” said Kitchens. “It wasn’t me. I was just the guy directing the choir.”

Now he’s the guy directing the entire orchestra.

“What’s so rewarding about getting the job here, with the Browns is that they’re not expecting anything different than what they’ve had,” Kitchens said. “I can be myself. I don’t have to put on a show. Some guys think they have to be more head coach-ish. I won’t be that. I’ll be who I am.”

Who is Freddie Kitchens?

“I think I’ve shown that being myself can work,” he said. “But I’m never going to be a finished product as a person or a coach.”

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F60139bb74ec74a248e67fdd1dfe4ca38%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens has only interviewed for a head coaching position once in his career, but he got the job. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

Jim Ingraham
Contributo

oldnotdead

Legend
Well according to all the hype his team is complete so he has no excuses. Anything less than a division title after all this hype would be failure. Be careful what you wish for.

nighttrain

Legend
Well according to all the hype his team is complete so he has no excuses. Anything less than a division title after all this hype would be failure. Be careful what you wish for.
Complete, even to having a short ill-mannered QB
train

oldnotdead

Legend
He was an arrogant diva QB in college. All the media attention now just feeds that monster. What happens when he gets hurt will be interesting.