Gwill finally looking like best offseason move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I was real excited when we brought him in during the offseason. D didnt look so good while they learned his style of D but now what a big difference. 2 shutouts in a row is nothing to sneeze at. Qb's are fearing this team now.

Great Job Gwill and continue to Kill the Head of teams by going after the QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. A lot of us, including me, were really doubting the move but the defense just needed time. They seem to be coming together.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Besides the scoreboard, which is fantastic, we are crushing some fools out there. Week in and week out we are laying the wood, gonna get a real nice reputation around the league which will only help our cause...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I remember some people were calling for his head after a couple weeks. People need to learn some patience!

Alan

Legend
Why should we have a good defense? I was thinking all those early draft picks would hold us back.

I was expecting a top D and it took us quite a while to get there. I don't understand why people are giving GW the credit for this. We had a very good D last year and we picked up Gaines and Donald in the Draft and made some marginal gains in FA.

OK, I'm done raining on the GW for president parade. :LOL:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Why should we have a good defense? I was thinking all those early draft picks would hold us back.

I was expecting a top D and it took us quite a while to get there. I don't understand why people are giving GW the credit for this. We had a very good D last year and we picked up Gaines and Donald in the Draft and made some marginal gains in FA.

Maybe it's just you not giving enough credit? They all had to learn the new def scheme and now that they have we have a better defense then last year.

I think this tough schedule we hhad has hhelped as well Yea we had our issues but it gave our young team a chance to learn from mistakes play against ttough teams and learn to not let mmistakes effect your play

stano00

UDFA

Did you forget that Walton got fired as DC? Last year the defense was talented and showed potential, but I wouldn't say they were a very good one. They were way too passive until Fish started calling the plays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gregg Williams and Jeff Fisher are a great combination, hopefully as good defensively as Vermeil & Martz were offensively. I pray nobody will get any bright ideas and offer Williams an opportunity to be a Head Coach...I realize some might think "No Way." But, in the NFL anything can happen, let's hope Snyder goes after Baylor Head Coach Art Briles.

Alan

Legend
stano00 forgetting the past:
Did you forget that Walton got fired as DC? Last year the defense was talented and showed potential, but I wouldn't say they were a very good one. They were way too passive until Fish started calling the plays.
#15 in total D last year. That was despite Walton. After Fisher took over our D got much better. Probably top 8 the second half of the season. Right now we're #14. Huge improvement. ;)

We're getting better all the time though I really doubt that we'd be ranked any worse without GW. Too much talent on our D IMO.

Alan

Legend
Rabid Ram thinking I'm letting my anti GW bias get the better of me:
Maybe it's just you not giving enough credit? They all had to learn the new def scheme and now that they have we have a better defense then last year.

I think this tough schedule we hhad has hhelped as well Yea we had our issues but it gave our young team a chance to learn from mistakes play against ttough teams and learn to not let mmistakes effect your play
That's certainly something that we all have to watch closely that's for sure. I'm talking about letting our biases overly influence our thoughts.

What's enough credit? I'm not saying he's a bad DC. I'm just looking at the talent we have on our team and expecting us to have a great D. Just like everyone else thought we would after what we did the second half of last year.

As for the other things you said, we're a very young team and all those things are true. They'd be true no matter who our DC was and "talent will out" as the saying goes.

Think about it Rabid, would have expected us to have a great D with a different DC? If the answer is yes, then why are you giving such a large portion of the credit to GW when our D is merely performing to our/your expectations? I'm not looking to replace him like I am with Schotty but I'm also not willing to give him the lion's share of the credit.

Credit where credit is due and in the correct measure is my motto. ;)

But enough of this. I'm celebrating our victory. :banana:

BD-TomCat

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We wernt punishing WR after the catch like we are this year. I attribute that to Gwill. How many shutouts did we have last year? We just got 2 in a row and some of you think Gwill doesnt deserve credit. SMH

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I am glad for the win today. I am glad the team is playing good on both sides of the ball. However, in comparison to other teams, like the Cardinals, why did it take half the season for the team to start playing well on a consistent basis? Bruce Arians went to the Cardinals and won 10 games last season. Now, in his second season, without the influx of talent the Rams have had AND losing Dockett and Washington for the season, they are even better. They lost even more players this week along with their starting QB for the season and today they beat the Chiefs for their 10th win.
How many seasons is it going to take Fisher to have this team ready to compete in Week 1 instead of week 9 ?

Alan

Legend
BD-TomCat liking GW:
We wernt punishing WR after the catch like we are this year. I attribute that to Gwill. How many shutouts did we have last year? We just got 2 in a row and some of you think Gwill doesnt deserve credit. SMH
I think we also have McD without a broken leg and playing like a second year pro. We also have McLeod playing like a 2nd year pro. Although still making lots of mistakes he lays some good wood. We also have the addition of Gaines who also makes big hits when he connects with his shoulder. Which is often. All of those , coupled with the, after a real rocky start, 2nd year improvement of Ogletree wouldn't you expect that to be true? With or without the presence of GW.

I haven't read every post in this thread but I'm not sure anyone said he shouldn't get credit. The question is how much. I myself think he's done some good things and give him some credit. Having said that, we were atrocious the first third or more of the season. This from the guy who said he'd fit his system around the players he has and not the players he wants or who will be what he wants. So i'm expecting him to simplify things at the start. That didn't happen and IMO they ran around like they didn't know what they were doing. That might just be a mistaken perception on my part but that's how I feel about it.

Despite the negatives I see, one of which is now gone (the learning the system), I have no desire to replace him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It helps that he has additions like Barron, Joyner, Donald, and Gaines, as well as seeing Chris Long return. But yeah, I definitely want to see him back.

FRO

Legend
I think the best thing is him saying he isn't interested in being a head coach again. He is here for a while.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Draft LB Denzel Perryman next year and this D is going to be very very nasty for a long long time. They are definitely laying wood and tackling with bad intentions. They are starting to remind me of that Baltimore D when they won the SB the year after we did.

A55VA6

Legend
Let's just hope this continues, and we start off the season hot next year. We seem to always get off to slow starts.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was pretty upset with the way things started out for the D this year, but I said back then that it was a matter of time and sooner or later it would come together. And sure enough it has.

#15 in total D last year. That was despite Walton. After Fisher took over our D got much better. Probably top 8 the second half of the season. Right now we're #14. Huge improvement. ;)

We're getting better all the time though I really doubt that we'd be ranked any worse without GW. Too much talent on our D IMO.

Going into Sunday's game we were 6th in the only stat that matters to me, scoring D, after Sunday I'm guessing that's improved.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO it shouldn't be a surprise. Great Coordinators will at some point field a great unit, and GW is clearly one of the best. I was irritated at how they looked to start the year but his influence has show week by week as he fixed first the run defense then the coverage mishaps. These guys are now anticipating and starting to play at a very high level.

Extremely impressive job IMO. Rams are gonna be a team to be reckoned with next year, there is no doubt.