Gurley won't play against the Seahawks - Duh!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...but-announce-todd-gurley-wont-play-this-week/

Rams hold off on announcing cuts, but announce Todd Gurley won’t play this week
Posted by Josh Alper on September 5, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptbiowe2nji5ymm3mjg1zdawngyym2flownkmzlmnzfj-e1441488313353.jpeg
AP

Rams coach Jeff Fisher held a press conference shortly after the 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to cut their rosters to 53 players on Saturday, but he wasn’t there to discuss the team’s roster moves.

Fisher said that the team wasn’t releasing their cuts, which have been made, because of the competitive advantage he believes it gives them when it comes to signing players back to the practice squad.

While Fisher was squatting on that information in order to up his chances of getting the 62nd player on the roster that he wants, he was less concerned with any competitive advantage that might be squandered by ruling out running back Todd Gurley for the season opener against the Seahawks. Fisher’s announcement comes as no great surprise given the patient approach that the Rams have taken with Gurley since taking him in the first round of the draft.

Unless Fisher decides to take the mystery out of it at some point, attention will now shift toTre Mason’s status. Mason hurt his hamstring last month and Fisher called him questionable for the Seahawks game two weeks before kickoff. If he can’t play, Benny Cunningham will likely start for St. Louis.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the Rams are smart he won't play. If the the Seahawks are smart they won't trust Jeff Fisher.

FRO

Legend
Sit him until after the bye. He is our future. We can't damage him.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The fan in me wants to see him play this week. But once I get the hamster going in my head I realize we need to be smart about it.
Don't really know what makes sense. I mean if he's physically ready do we just start at 5-10 carries and build it up until from there?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Sit him until after the bye. He is our future. We can't damage him.

Hell ya!!! Red Shirt him for the 1st half of the season. Which would be so painful to wait but so worth it big picture wise.. And he could be fresh for our playoff run

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I hope he starts asap because he's the only one with superstar potential on our offense. We need him to play.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
If he's healthy play him, if he's not don't. If your main concern is him not getting re-injured then cut him, then there's zero chance anything bad will happen to him as a Ram.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher: Todd Gurley won't play this week; Tre Mason 'doing well'
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rley-wont-play-this-week-tre-mason-doing-well

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Saturday that a decision on rookie running back Todd Gurley's status for the season opener has already been made.

"Gurley’s not going to play this week," Fisher said.

So Gurley, who is still recovering from a torn ACL suffered last November, will have to wait before he makes his NFL game debut. Gurley has continued to participate fully in practice though he's still off-limits for contact.

The Rams have not put a specific date on Gurley's return but the belief has been that he might start getting carries at some point before the Week 6 bye and then take on a larger role after that. In the meantime, the Rams still have to sort through their options with projected Gurley replacement Tre Mason battling a hamstring issue.

Fisher said last week that Mason would be questionable for the first game against the Seahawks but offered a small update on Mason's progress.

“Tre’s doing good," Fisher said. "He had two treatment sessions today, and he’s doing well. So we’ll see how he is during the week."

With or without Mason in the lineup, the Rams will likely have to lean on Benny Cunningham to play a larger role against the Seahawks on Sept. 13.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So assuming Mason can't go either and the run game won't get going, will Foles throw it 40 plus times? That would sure fool the Seahawks. I would think they'll game plan for stopping the run knowing what Fisher wants to do.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I feel better about Pead getting the start, after his performance the other night. He looked great.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hold out Gurley until after the bye.

He's doing well, but let's not rush anything.

Pead can take the lead week 1. I'm with @-X- those hammy's need some time and too early is a setback we can't afford.

ram007

Starter
This sucks. Really sucks but I understand. At this time I don't see Gurley starting until 6th game or later.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Fisher says Gurley will not play in season opener

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_66d7a2f6-d193-5b47-9cc1-3075c610bfc2.html

It’s official. Running back Todd Gurley, the No. 10 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft, will not play when the Rams take on the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks to open the season on Sunday, Sept. 13, at the Edward Jones Dome.

The news came as no surprise since Gurley didn’t take a snap during the preseason and has been limited through most of training camp as he recovers from ACL surgery on his left knee in November.

Since draft day, coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have stressed the importance of bringing Gurley along slowly. A three-year starter at the University of Georgia, the 6-foot-1, 227-pound Gurley is a special talent who ran for nearly 3,300 yards and averaged 6.4 yards per carry for the Bulldogs. He also caught 65 passes for 615 yards and scored 44 touchdowns, which ranks second all-time to Hershel Walker’s 52.

“Todd Gurley’s not going to play this week,’’ Fisher said during a Saturday meeting with the media at Rams Park.

Fisher also said that his decision on the starter at center — Mizzou product Tim Barnes and second-year pro Demetrius Rhaney are the options — would be announced after the team’s next full-squad workout on Wednesday.

With the announcement on Gurley, coupled with the release of rookie free agents Malcolm Brown (Texas) and Zach Laskey (Georgia Tech), it gives the Rams the following options at running back: Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead and Chase Reynolds.

Trey Watts, a versatile second-year player, will miss the first four games of the season; he was suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Brown and Laskey signed as free agents shortly after the draft. Brown had some good moments in the preseason, rushing for 69 yards on 17 carries, for a 4.1 average, and catching nine passes for 127 yards, including a 54-yard touchdown catch and run against Tennessee. The nine catches tied for the team lead during exhibition play. Laskey, who the Rams listed as a fullback, did not carry from scrimmage during the preseason and had one catch for nine yards.

Mason, a third-round draft pick in 2014, came on to lead the team in rushing year ago with 765 yards. He also caught 16 passes for 148 yards and scored five touchdowns. He sat out the preseason finale with a sore hamstring.

“Tre’s doing good,’’ Fisher said Saturday. “He had two treatment sessions today and he’s doing well. So we’ll see how he is during the week.’’

Cunningham, who also sat out the Kansas City game on Thursday, would likely get the nod if Mason isn’t ready. A third-year pro out of Middle Tennessee State, Cunningham ran for 246 yards and three touchdowns and caught 45 passes for 352 yards and another score a year ago. He’s also the Ram’s main kick returner; he averaged an NFC-leading 27.5 yards on 35 returns a year ago.

Pead, a second-round draft pick in 2012, is also coming off ACL surgery — he was hurt on a kickoff return early in the 2014 preseason — and led the Rams in rushing against Kansas City with 52 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries.

Entering his fifth NFL season, Reynolds is primarily a special-teams player. A year ago, he finished among the league’s leaders in special-teams tackles with 19.

RELATIVELY HEALTHY

E.J. Gaines, the ex-Mizzou standout who started the first 15 games as a rookie a year ago, went down with a season-ending foot injury early in training camp but the Rams escaped the preseason pretty much in tact.

“As I said after the game (Thursday), the training room was empty, which is a really good thing,’’ Fisher said. “We’re doing a good job with our treatments and healing people up.’’

Fisher said that linebacker and special-teams standout Daren Bates, out with a knee strain, is making progress.

“He’s coming,’’ the coach said. “He had a good day yesterday, did some good running yesterday, so he’s coming along. I’ll have the injury report for you on Friday.’’

Despite the 0-4 record, Fisher said the Rams made progress in the preseason.

“Well, I thought we accomplished a lot this preseason,” he said. “We were able to decide on the starting center. Preseason afforded us an opportunity to get down to 53 (players), which was not easy. ... I thought the preseason was good. Camp was good.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Following is a quick rundown of the Rams’ preseason stats:

OFFENSE

Nick Foles completed 18 of 26 passes (69.2 percent) for 264 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. Rookie Sean Mannion, who struggled in the preseason finale against the Chiefs, finished the preseason with a team-leading 300 passing yards, completing 31 of 57 (54.4 percent); he had a touchdown and an interception.

No. 2 QB Case Keenum completed 21 of 36 (58.3 percent) for 256 yards and had an 80-yard TD to Chris Givens.

Watts, who will sit out the season’s first four games, led the team in rushing with 98 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries. He also tied for third with eight catches for 58 yards. Isaiah Pead ran for 96 yards and a touchdown on a team-high 26 carries. He also had three catches for eight yards and averaged 29.5 yards on two kickoff returns.

Brown, the rookie free agent from Texas, tied for the team lead in receptions with nine. He had 127 receiving yards and a touchdown. He also ran 17 times for 69 yards.

Givens also had nine catches, leading the team with 206 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Rookie Bradley Marquez (8 catches, 74 yards), Stedman Bailey (5 catches, 58 yards) and Kenny Britt (5 catches, 44 yards) were the other top receivers.

DEFENSE

Rookies Bryce Hager and Louis Trinca-Pasat tied for the team lead in preseason tackles with 24.

Hager, a seventh-round draft pick from Baylor, led way with 19 solos and also had both of the team’s fumble recoveries.

Trinca-Pasat, an undrafted free agent from Iowa, had six solos, four tackles for loss, six quarterback pressures and three quarterback hits.

Others finishing with double-digit preseason tackles were DE Matt Longacre (18, 4 for loss, with 6 QB pressures, 5 QB hits), LB Cameron Lynch (18), DT Ethan Westbrooks (16, 3 for loss, with 6 QB pressures), DB Lamarcus Joyner (14), S Maurice Alexander (14, 2 for loss), CB Trovon Reed (14, with 2 passes broken up), S Cody Davis (13, 1 for loss, 1 interception), DT Marcus Forston (11), CB Montell Garner (11, with 1 caused fumble), LB Alec Ogletree (10), CB Marcus Roberson (10, with 3 passes broken up).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This probably isn't the thread but since I saw his name in the article...I like Bryce Hager. He's not a thumper but he flew around the field and was reliable making tackles whenever I watched him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This probably isn't the thread but since I saw his name in the article...I like Bryce Hager. He's not a thumper but he flew around the field and was reliable making tackles whenever I watched him.
I'm so impressed with him. He got better, every preseason game, he has great instincts, always around the ball, and is really quick to read and react. Faulk compared him to Zach Thomas in the last game, but Hager is much bigger, and probably faster. He's looking like a total steal. And our other rookie Lb'er (Cameron Lynch) is really good as well. We nailed finding a couple guys back there, and we really needed them. So much better than any depth we had last years, and they are teamers too.

Usually, we are saying, they can play special teams, and be backup developmental guys at LB. Both these guys are both, but LB'ers first.

Both good tacklers, both can hit and wrap. Best roster we've had in quite a while, Jerry. Should be fun to watch them develop.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what I hear is, that you guys don't think our doctors are worth a d@mn,,,If they can't predict when Gurley will be in full health by testing and observation...or they don't know if Gurley is ready, then yes..wait until he is. If a doctor on the Rams males a diagnosis that says he's ready to go Game One, Two, or Ten..Then lets do that. It kind of gets me when fans say, " iwould just feel better if Gurley spent a few more weeks watching AFTER the date the Dr says he's ready.....Either you trust Medical Staff, or you fire them..and GET GURLEY ON THE FIELD WHEN HE's ready, and not with 6 more weeks added, so people feel comfy about that..JMO

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So what I hear is, that you guys don't think our doctors are worth a d@mn,,,If they can't predict when Gurley will be in full health by testing and observation...or they don't know if Gurley is ready, then yes..wait until he is. If a doctor on the Rams males a diagnosis that says he's ready to go Game One, Two, or Ten..Then lets do that. It kind of gets me when fans say, " iwould just feel better if Gurley spent a few more weeks watching AFTER the date the Dr says he's ready.....Either you trust Medical Staff, or you fire them..and GET GURLEY ON THE FIELD WHEN HE's ready, and not with 6 more weeks added, so people feel comfy about that..JMO
I play a football doctor, and I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and I can say with full confidence, Gurley will be ready in week 4, barring any setbacks, which I don't expect.