Gurley: Will he be 100%?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I hate to start another Gurley thread but it's the offseason and I'm bored. Let me start by saying I've just re-watched a LOT of film from Gurley's college days as well as film from last year. There are those in the Rams organization who say Gurley was never 100% last year and I absolutely agree with them. I'm a UGA student and I've seen every run Gurley has made, many of those runs I've seen in person. If you watch Todd's first 5 games of his Junior season he was a different guy. His explosiveness that year has not yet returned to him. Let's look at some film.

This was one of Todd's best performances in college. The play that stands out the most to me is right around the 1:52 mark. Look at how he waits for the hole to develop and then absolutely explodes into the open field. Before the defense knew what hit them he was 20 yards downfield. Todd had a similar run against the 49ers last year but he didn't quite have that level of explosion.

Here is another one of Todd's all time great performances. Go to the run at the 37 second mark. Watch as he gets to the edge, accelerates, and completely takes away all the angles they had on him. If you go to the 5:48 mark you see another run where Todd breaks through contact and then hits the jets to pull away from a DB.

There are other examples but I think the point is the same. TG3 has a certain look and feel to him when he's 100% and fresh. I never quite saw that last year. I'm hoping, with another year to recover from the ACL, Todd's full explosiveness and speed can return to him. Don't get me wrong, TG3 at 80-85% is still better than almost every back in the NFL. But I do think he has more in the tank and that gets me VERY excited for next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He was definitely less than 100%. History of these types of injuries prove it takes time to get all the way back.

And... That's scary, when you think about it.

Gurley was good, real good in 2015.

At 100% he can break records.

Nice post.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yea, agree you can definitely tell he he wasn't 100% this last year from those videos and not being able to reach his max gear. A 100% Gurley is going to be such a beast this year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Reality is he is 100% of what he is at any given time.

He will be another off season removed from the injury and presumably that means a little stronger and maybe able to perform at a slightly higher level than last year.

How much will the offense change? How much will the play of Goff and other affect his production? How much will he play on 3rd downs? A lot to consider when thinking about his production in 2016.

I want a couple of things

1) Stay on the damn ground. I know it looks cool and he has a knack for leaping over people but the risk of injury and turn-overs is just to high.

2) Work him in to the passing game. Get him the ball on the wheel routes like Marshall used to. I think he has potential to turn some of those plays into big gains.

3) Stay healthy. New beginning in LA and he is becoming a recognized face of the NFL. Work hard, don't get distracted and stay healthy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reality is he is 100% of what he is at any given time.

He will be another off season removed from the injury and presumably that means a little stronger and maybe able to perform at a slightly higher level than last year.

How much will the offense change? How much will the play of Goff and other affect his production? How much will he play on 3rd downs? A lot to consider when thinking about his production in 2016.

I want a couple of things

1) Stay on the damn ground. I know it looks cool and he has a knack for leaping over people but the risk of injury and turn-overs is just to high.

2) Work him in to the passing game. Get him the ball on the wheel routes like Marshall used to. I think he has potential to turn some of those plays into big gains.

3) Stay healthy. New beginning in LA and he is becoming a recognized face of the NFL. Work hard, don't get distracted and stay healthy.

Well said, Bart.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
31 teams better hope and pray that he's not 100%. If he is, especially now that he'll be playing behind a QB that can keep defenses hones, then look the f*** out.

At less than 100%, he was at worst a top 3 RB last year, but maybe even the best. This was on a team with a very unsettled QB situation and an OL that was young and being shuffled around for much of the season. What happens when:

a) He's 100%;
b) Our young OL stabilizes; and
c) Our new QB gets comfortable?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I agree 100% - stay on the ground. I HATE those hurdles.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
31 teams better hope and pray that he's not 100%. If he is, especially now that he'll be playing behind a QB that can keep defenses hones, then look the f*** out.

At less than 100%, he was at worst a top 3 RB last year, but maybe even the best. This was on a team with a very unsettled QB situation and an OL that was young and being shuffled around for much of the season. What happens when:

a) He's 100%;
b) Our young OL stabilizes; and
c) Our new QB gets comfortable?

I'm telling you all right now, if Gurley is back to his 2014 self (and has at least average help from the O-line and passing game) he's going to go apeshit. He is an absolute animal and the 49ers better come ready to play in the opener because it could be a long day.

nighttrain

Legend
He was definitely less than 100%. History of these types of injuries prove it takes time to get all the way back.

And... That's scary, when you think about it.

Gurley was good, real good in 2015.

At 100% he can break records.

Nice post.
And he was wearing that brace all season, had to limit his mobility
and cost him some speed
train

jap

Legend
And he was wearing that brace all season, had to limit his mobility
and cost him some speed
train

Actually, he took off the brace later on in the season, but he still was not 100%. It takes about two years to return all the way from an ACL tear. The thing is, with all the concern about keeping Todd healthy, they kept out of the passing game for the most part. All of that is gonna change this season. I know one thing, whenever Todd or Tavon has the rock, everybody! better block their asses off 'cause these guys can literally score on any given play.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Actually, he took off the brace later on in the season, but he still was not 100%. It takes about two years to return all the way from an ACL tear. The thing is, with all the concern about keeping Todd healthy, they kept out of the passing game for the most part. All of that is gonna change this season. I know one thing, whenever Todd or Tavon has the rock, everybody! better block their asses off 'cause these guys can literally score on any given play.

Todd put the brace back on later in the year. He said as much in a recent interview.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I hate to start another Gurley thread but it's the offseason and I'm bored. Let me start by saying I've just re-watched a LOT of film from Gurley's college days as well as film from last year. There are those in the Rams organization who say Gurley was never 100% last year and I absolutely agree with them. I'm a UGA student and I've seen every run Gurley has made, many of those runs I've seen in person. If you watch Todd's first 5 games of his Junior season he was a different guy. His explosiveness that year has not yet returned to him. Let's look at some film.

This was one of Todd's best performances in college. The play that stands out the most to me is right around the 1:52 mark. Look at how he waits for the hole to develop and then absolutely explodes into the open field. Before the defense knew what hit them he was 20 yards downfield. Todd had a similar run against the 49ers last year but he didn't quite have that level of explosion.

Here is another one of Todd's all time great performances. Go to the run at the 37 second mark. Watch as he gets to the edge, accelerates, and completely takes away all the angles they had on him. If you go to the 5:48 mark you see another run where Todd breaks through contact and then hits the jets to pull away from a DB.

There are other examples but I think the point is the same. TG3 has a certain look and feel to him when he's 100% and fresh. I never quite saw that last year. I'm hoping, with another year to recover from the ACL, Todd's full explosiveness and speed can return to him. Don't get me wrong, TG3 at 80-85% is still better than almost every back in the NFL. But I do think he has more in the tank and that gets me VERY excited for next year.

Lot of shotgun, zone read in the Tennessee game

I-formation downhill against Clemson

Any idea why?

I picture TG3 as I-back with QB under center

Thought UGA / Richt was mostly pro-style?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Todd put the brace back on later in the year. He said as much in a recent interview.
From what Gurley said the issue was that he was rehabbing, not training for football. Straight line running not cuts. Once he has an offseason of his actual football stuff he should be as good or better than he was in college.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Lot of shotgun, zone read in the Tennessee game

I-formation downhill against Clemson

Any idea why?

I picture TG3 as I-back with QB under center

Thought UGA / Richt was mostly pro-style?

They ran a lot of both. Tennessee was constantly stacking 8-9 in the box early in that game so UGA tried to spread them out a bit. However, if Georgia is up in the 4th quarter they run a lot of I-formation. Overall they are more of a power run, pro style offense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

If what you say is accurate, Good God, If he's 100% this year Watch Simpson's and Dicherson's Records get shattered!!(y):yess::yay:

gurleykoolaid.png

Dancing Ape.gif

GO RAMS
addon.jpg

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Just don't run him to the ground like Georgia did.

Georgia didn't run him into the ground. Gurley had 30 carries or more in only ONE game in his collegiate career.

The only game I believe they unnecessarily overworked him was that Auburn game. His arm was already banged up and he was just coming back from the suspension. It was a blowout win but Mark Richt kept giving him the ball. On the 29th carry he tore his ACL making a cut in the hole. I'll never forgive Richt for that. But that was the exception at UGA, not the rule.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Georgia didn't run him into the ground. Gurley had 30 carries or more in only ONE game in his collegiate career.

The only game I believe they unnecessarily overworked him was that Auburn game. His arm was already banged up and he was just coming back from the suspension. It was a blowout win but Mark Richt kept giving him the ball. On the 29th carry he tore his ACL making a cut in the hole. I'll never forgive Richt for that. But that was the exception at UGA, not the rule.

Yea that's what I meant to say. They ran him to the ground that game. Don't know why. But I guess it's a blessing because he fell to us and all is good!