Gritty win in a type of game they may have lost last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good job maintaining composure in a game that was back and forth with a lot of big plays. Sometimes one team can take the momentum away with big plays and the Rams didn't allow that. Rather they came back with their own and just kept moving the chains to the tune of 30 first downs. The second time they have done that in 5 games. Wow.

Getting a 4th Q comeback win on the road versus a division rival playing for their lives with the memory of a completely humiliating defeat could be a recipe for a loss, but not for this years Rams.

Lots of things to like, and lots to clean up.

A few of my thoughts.

Likes.........

I feel like this team "grew up" yesterday. As young as they are there seems to be a sense of maturity and confidence even on a bad day.

The OL is doing a fantastic job run and pass blocking. I find myself thinking "get rid of it!!!" because Goff has so much time and it's a reflex to think that when a QB has the ball for 3+ seconds. Speaking of.........

Goff is blossoming into an absolutely outstanding player. He looks like a guy who has been playing for years. He has developed the pocket awareness of a vet, and his footwork is fantastic.

Despite giving up 3 TD's (it was that kind of game) the pass defense was good overall. They came up with stops when they had to. They gave up 3 big gainers but most of the time they got the job done. In the 4th quarter Wilson was 1-4.

Gurley. Once again he and Goff are the best backfield in the NFL. He's productive in every phase, running, receiving and blocking. He's approaching that Faulk level effect on games. He's got a different style, and they are different players, but he is making a difference at nearly that level.

To clean up..........

McVay needs to lay off the cute stuff in the red zone, especially deep in it. The empty backfield play where the ball was tipped and picked of was a poor decision by both Goff and McVay. Lining up Gurley in the slot and sending out 5 guys just creates traffic in the end zone. From the 2 yard line the call is Gurley. Goff should have thrown that ball into the stands.

As discussed the run defense is now an urgent problem. I'm not sure what the solution is, maybe more 4 man fronts would help. Any thoughts? The Broncos are up next, on their field, they need a win..........and they can run the ball. #2 in total yards and they are #1 in YPA at 5.6 so a fix is important.

Woods on the jet sweep isn't making the defenses budge. He's just not a breakaway threat and while he has decent speed he isn't going to scare a defense coming out of the backfield trying to turn a corner. Cooks should be the only one used for this play and he has just 2 rushes all year. In order for the play to work and make defenses move at least once a game he has to actually get the ball on the sweep. It has to be a real threat not an empty decoy.

Tano

Legend
Good job maintaining composure in a game that was back and forth with a lot of big plays. Sometimes one team can take the momentum away with big plays and the Rams didn't allow that. Rather they came back with their own and just kept moving the chains to the tune of 30 first downs. The second time they have done that in 5 games. Wow.

Getting a 4th Q comeback win on the road versus a division rival playing for their lives with the memory of a completely humiliating defeat could be a recipe for a loss, but not for this years Rams.

Lots of things to like, and lots to clean up.

A few of my thoughts.

Likes.........

I feel like this team "grew up" yesterday. As young as they are there seems to be a sense of maturity and confidence even on a bad day.

The OL is doing a fantastic job run and pass blocking. I find myself thinking "get rid of it!!!" because Goff has so much time and it's a reflex to think that when a QB has the ball for 3+ seconds. Speaking of.........

Goff is blossoming into an absolutely outstanding player. He looks like a guy who has been playing for years. He has developed the pocket awareness of a vet, and his footwork is fantastic.

Despite giving up 3 TD's (it was that kind of game) the pass defense was good overall. They came up with stops when they had to. They gave up 3 big gainers but most of the time they got the job done. In the 4th quarter Wilson was 1-4.

Gurley. Once again he and Goff are the best backfield in the NFL. He's productive in every phase, running, receiving and blocking. He's approaching that Faulk level effect on games. He's got a different style, and they are different players, but he is making a difference at nearly that level.

To clean up..........

McVay needs to lay off the cute stuff in the red zone, especially deep in it. The empty backfield play where the ball was tipped and picked of was a poor decision by both Goff and McVay. Lining up Gurley in the slot and sending out 5 guys just creates traffic in the end zone. From the 2 yard line the call is Gurley. Goff should have thrown that ball into the stands.

As discussed the run defense is now an urgent problem. I'm not sure what the solution is, maybe more 4 man fronts would help. Any thoughts? The Broncos are up next, on their field, they need a win..........and they can run the ball. #2 in total yards and they are #1 in YPA at 5.6 so a fix is important.

Woods on the jet sweep isn't making the defenses budge. He's just not a breakaway threat and while he has decent speed he isn't going to scare a defense coming out of the backfield trying to turn a corner. Cooks should be the only one used for this play and he has just 2 rushes all year. In order for the play to work and make defenses move at least once a game he has to actually get the ball on the sweep. It has to be a real threat not an empty decoy.

That play to Gurley in the end zone, I could have sworn there was a completely open receiver in the back of the end zone and Goff missed him. I am going to have to re-watch that play tonight.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That play to Gurley in the end zone, I could have sworn there was a completely open receiver in the back of the end zone and Goff missed him. I am going to have to re-watch that play tonight.

I watched it on the highlight vid and the end zone was so crowded when Goff wound up to pass my eyes bugged out a bit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Woods on the jet sweep isn't making the defenses budge. He's just not a breakaway threat and while he has decent speed he isn't going to scare a defense coming out of the backfield trying to turn a corner.

Well, except for that 56 yard run he had on a jet sweep ...

MaxQ28

Rookie

To add on to your point, McVay is setting up things in the current game for games later in the season. What I mean is, by faking the jet sweep to every WR you make defense who are watching tape have to be ready for every WR to get that handoff. I think Robert Woods is playing his @$$ off and I’m glad to have him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yes one good one then, but overall he isn't making the LB's commit to defending the edge like Austin always did.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yes one good one then, but overall he isn't making the LB's commit to defending the edge like Austin always did.

He certainly doesn't have Austin's speed (who does?), but at the same time, putting a big gainer like that on film will make future teams more likely to commit to defending the edge against the possibility of similar results. One thing I've noticed about Woods since he got here is that he is a great open field runner. He is very good at setting up his blocks and manipulating defenders to get extra yards.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He certainly doesn't have Austin's speed (who does?), but at the same time, putting a big gainer like that on film will make future teams more likely to commit to defending the edge against the possibility of similar results. One thing I've noticed about Woods since he got here is that he is a great open field runner. He is very good at setting up his blocks and manipulating defenders to get extra yards.

LOL couldn't resist my friend...........just goofin' on ya a bit.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Sir Winston Churchill

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
To add on to your point, McVay is setting up things in the current game for games later in the season. What I mean is, by faking the jet sweep to every WR you make defense who are watching tape have to be ready for every WR to get that handoff. I think Robert Woods is playing his @$$ off and I’m glad to have him.

Remember back when people said we "overpaid" Robert Woods? Nobody's saying that now!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's productive in every phase, running, receiving and blocking.
You left off tackling from behind. How many times have we seen a player just get up and stand there after that kind of play? Instead, Gurley gets up and catches the guy from behind and even tries for the strip while making sure to tackle.

Woods on the jet sweep isn't making the defenses budge. He's just not a breakaway threat and while he has decent speed he isn't going to scare a defense coming out of the backfield trying to turn a corner.
Hmmmmm. I think a 56 yard run is a pretty good way to make defenses budge. Not every one is going to be successful but DAMN Les, that’s a pretty high bar you’re setting.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1st Downs
Rams 30 Seattle 20 (30 effing 1st downs!!!!)
Total Yards
Rams 468 Seattle 373

Man, if you saw these stats 1st, then saw the score you'd think Seattle back door covered...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You left off tackling from behind. How many times have we seen a player just get up and stand there after that kind of play? Instead, Gurley gets up and catches the guy from behind and even tries for the strip while making sure to tackle.

Hmmmmm. I think a 56 yard run is a pretty good way to make defenses budge. Not every one is going to be successful but DAMN Les, that’s a pretty high bar you’re setting.

That was a great hustle play on his part. Good call.

One play didn't make the defense move yesterday though. When Austin ran it he moved 1 and sometimes 2 players.

In order for that to routinely get big gains they need Cooks to run it and get the ball one or two times a game. That will open up big plays for Gurley, like we saw last year. The TD catch that iced the game versus the Cowboys is a perfect example.

It's something that a speed demon has to do. There has to be the fear that if the guy gets the corner it's a big play or he could go all the way. Woods isn't that guy. Cooks is.

As well as the O is playing I can't complain too much though. It was just an observation.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That was a great hustle play on his part. Good call.

One play didn't make the defense move yesterday though. When Austin ran it he moved 1 and sometimes 2 players.

In order for that to routinely get big gains they need Cooks to run it and get the ball one or two times a game. That will open up big plays for Gurley, like we saw last year. The TD catch that iced the game versus the Cowboys is a perfect example.

It's something that a speed demon has to do. There has to be the fear that if the guy gets the corner it's a big play or he could go all the way. Woods isn't that guy. Cooks is.

As well as the O is playing I can't complain too much though. It was just an observation.
My only disagreement is that as much as teams had to respect it from TA, if they don’t get Woods at the LOS, he is a better and tougher open field runner than TA. The way we’re doing it is that defenses can’t just shadow the motion. They HAVE to stick to their assignments and that play becomes more successful no matter who is running it. I also think Woods is more physically able to take the hard hits that will happen at the LOS whereas Cooks is faster but slighter.