Gregg Williams' Key to Corrections: 'Don't Make Things Personal'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Titans senior defensive assistant Gregg Williams said the sessions can be helpful as long as “you don’t make things personal.”

“It’s the act or the technique. It has nothing to do with the player. If the player makes it personal, you make it personal,” Williams said. “If players don’t make it personal, coaches don’t make it personal, so I don’t coach in that personal thing, but we as coaches have to affect change, and if the same mistake is over and over and over again, sometimes you have to shock them, you have to shock the consciousness and shock their attention.

“They just want to be good,” Williams said. “They want to correct the problem too and we have to affect change. Sometimes you have to be vocal, but it’s the technique or the act, not the person. It has nothing to do with the person.”

“They understand how much I care about them, and I treat them like my own children. I treat my children tough too,” Williams said. “We have a lot of great fellowship outside the field, too. Great players want to be taught, motivated and inspired. They want to be as good as they can be, and when you as a coach can provide those things for them, they don’t care how the message comes across, and the message comes from Mike Munchak, and we all pass that down.

I ran across this, thought it was interesting. GO RAMS!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I agree with him,I call that theory Y coaching with a mindfulness that theory X although regrettable has to be available and done well.

Teddy Roosevelt would have made a good coach,walk soft carry a big stick

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with him,I call that theory Y coaching with a mindfulness that theory X although regrettable has to be available and done well.

Teddy Roosevelt would have made a good coach,walk soft carry a big stick
Umm, What?

tonyl711

Starter
one of the things I like about him is he makes his players accountable, he will sit a starter if he makes the same mistake over and over. the players who have played for him pretty much all say they loved playing for him. he will make some players better. loved the hire, wish it could have been done last year, but better late than never. give him a Safety, CB and LB and let him loose. I fully expect to have at the very least a top 10 D this year.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
one of the things I like about him is he makes his players accountable, he will sit a starter if he makes the same mistake over and over. the players who have played for him pretty much all say they loved playing for him. he will make some players better. loved the hire, wish it could have been done last year, but better late than never. give him a Safety, CB and LB and let him loose. I fully expect to have at the very least a top 10 D this year.
Yup, name on the front more important than the name on the back.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I sense early on there will be some RAMS that will be getting there ear chewed and tail bit. Disciplined is not a word anybody would use to describe our D.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Umm, What?
Coaching and management have strong similarities ,those are management terms I have adapted to coaching to say in fewer words pretty well what Williams did.
Assume the player wants to learn so teach them ,if they prove they don't want to conform work hard and learn, chew their ass until they change or you recognize they are a lost cause and you cut them.
Some guys are self motivators some need constant pushing ,if you can only coach one of the two ways your shelf life as a coach is short. Linehan was poorly suited to theory X and so he was effective until the players figured out he was a pushover ,I saw it with Stafford this year .
Faith and fear gotta be able to use either one cuz some people can't put faith in others and only respond when they fear.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Coaching and management have strong similarities ,those are management terms I have adapted to coaching to say in fewer words pretty well what Williams did.
Assume the player wants to learn so teach them ,if they prove they don't want to conform work hard and learn, chew their ass until they change or you recognize they are a lost cause and you cut them.
Some guys are self motivators some need constant pushing ,if you can only coach one of the two ways your shelf life as a coach is short. Linehan was poorly suited to theory X and so he was effective until the players figured out he was a pushover ,I saw it with Stafford this year .
Faith and fear gotta be able to use either one cuz some people can't put faith in others and only respond when they fear.
That worked much better for me as I don't know theory x or y. I'm simple "some need a pat on the back some need a kick in the ass" gotcha.

BTW TR quote was "speak softly".

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
That worked much better for me as I don't know theory x or y. I'm simple "some need a pat on the back some need a kick in the ass" gotcha.

BTW TR quote was "speak softly"
I was there sonny and he's being misquoted:mad: