Greg Williams is eager to start working with his new players/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Williams is eager to start working with his new players
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5f24391b-f863-598a-b210-ba93ae249d50.html

Gregg Williams was clearly in his element Wednesday afternoon.

Speaking before the monthly gathering of the National Football Foundation St. Louis-Tom Lombardo Chapter at Lombardo’s Airport Restaurant, the Rams’ new defensive coordinator spent better than an hour entertaining a large group of football coaches with stories about his career and answering questions about the 2014 Rams.

“I’m very proud to have started as a high school football coach,’’ said Williams, 55, who grew up on a farm in Excelsior Springs, Mo., attended Northeast Missouri State (now Truman State) and began his teaching and coaching career at Belton High near Kansas City. “Some of the best teachers and coaches I’ve been around are at the high school and Little League level. And some of the worst I’ve been around are in the National Football League.’’

In its 22nd year, the National Football Foundation St. Louis-Tom Lombardo Chapter was established to promote amateur football with an emphasis on recognizing young players’ athletic, academic and leadership achievements.

“These are the guys I enjoy,’’ Williams said, “because they’re teaching the sport that we’re all so passionate about.’’

Looking to make a change, Rams coach Jeff Fisher made contact with Williams early this year and introduced him as the team’s defensive coordinator in February. Known for building aggressive, attacking defenses, Williams likes what he’s seen on film but is looking forward to some live contact with his new squad.

“From the game film, I think Jeff Fisher and (general manager) Les Snead have done a fantastic job of re-energizing the team with youth,’’ he said. “But I’m anxious to put my hands on them and start going through the daily rigors with them.

“There’s a good nucleus here. Young is not bad, but once we get down to the 53-man roster, there are no excuses.’’

This is Williams’ second go-around with the Rams, but the first ended before it started. After being hired early in 2012, Fisher pegged Williams as his defensive coordinator. That March, however, Williams was suspended by the NFL for his role in the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal.

“A couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to take a year off,’’ said Williams, who was reinstated after a year and spent last season as a senior defensive assistant in Tennessee. “In life, you learn that you have to take responsibility for things that happen on your watch. ... I had a chance to re-energize, to lose 50 pounds and to re-focus on what’s important.

“I’m super-happy to be with the St. Louis Rams and working with a friend.’’

In 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator and head coach (17-31 with the Buffalo Bills from 2001-2003), Williams has worked with five defenses that finished in the top five in the NFL. He was on Fisher’s staff in Houston and then Tennessee for six seasons, including four as defensive coordinator.

Williams was Fisher’s defensive coordinator during the 1999 season when the Titans lost 23-16 to the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV.

“It’s been 14 years since Jeff and I worked together and I would expect we’ll have to work through some arguments because neither one of us is the type to back down,’’ Williams said.

With the rest of the staff focusing on free agency and May’s draft, Williams has been busy trying to tweak a defense that ranked 13th in the league last season.

“I told Gregg that this time around he’s gonna be the mad scientist,’’ Fisher said earlier this year. “He’s not gonna do a lot of player evaluations. ... I want him to take this defense and run with it.’’

“We’re fourth in the toughest division in the NFL,’’ Williams said. “To improve on that and challenge, we have to defend every blade of grass. I’ll adapt the defense to our players, but I will not compromise when it comes to effort or toughness.’’

Williams’ immediate concern is the secondary. He plans to play his safeties deep to serve as “overlap angels to run down things when mistakes are made in front of them.’’

“Nobody in the National Football League plays the safeties deeper than me. Nobody,’’ he said. “That’s because we’re going to play as aggressive as all get-out with our corners, linebackers and nickels.

“When we get our secondary to play a certain way, the guys up front can be even more dominant.’’

Williams said that Rams’ gifted defensive line, led by Pro Bowler Robert Quinn, may force him to adjust his coaching style.

“I’ve always had to manufacture pressure, to manufacture a pass rush,’’ he said. “This is the best D-line I’ve worked with. These guys can go, really go. It’s a different situation for me; I hope I have enough patience to sit back and let those four guys go hunt.’’

PhxRam

Did Walton get hired by anyone? I am curious as to what happened to him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Gotta love the strategy Williams employs. Top notch defensive aggression with no excuses.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He was given a lot of hype for a guy to be unemployed.

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out after an extensive, 5 minute google search. Looks like the guy might be taking the year off. By then, people's memory will fade and he'll look a lot better, given that we had the 13th overall rated D.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did anyone else feel a little movement when reading that?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Holy shit what a breath of fresh air this guy is. He's by far and away the biggest move the team has made this offseason imo. I cannot wait for camp to start and for him to get his hands on this defense.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think we are going DB early in the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"we have to defend every blade of grass. I’ll adapt the defense to our players, but I will not compromise when it comes to effort or toughness.’’

That's awesome!

Ram_of_Old

Williams will make our D shine. We will be top ten by the middle of the season. I AM STOKED!

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
“That’s because we’re going to play as aggressive as all get-out with our corners, linebackers and nickels."

This was my favorite quote! Cannot wait to see this defense punish opponents.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"we have to defend every blade of grass. I’ll adapt the defense to our players, but I will not compromise when it comes to effort or toughness.’’

That's awesome!
Thats sig worthy right there.