Greg "He'll never catch that guy" Gaines Highlights.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
We watched Gaines become a Baller together.
Hell of a inside presence.
But the thing that shocked my pants off was his Speed
Seeing him run down players who at the beginning of his rise
I thought there is no way in hell he's catching that guy.
Has the be one of the fastest NT's in the game.

View: https://youtu.be/gYUDdwPa2C8
shout out to twotutus for vid

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
What happened to the guy that only posted that Gaines should get more playing time, when SJD was healthy. I figured we'd see more of him now that Gaines is starting.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gaines was probably my most pleasant surprise last season. And it seems that AD really loves the guy.

oldnotdead

Legend
People didn't believe me when I kept saying Gaines was better than SJD. He's a very good NT with quickness, strength and enough speed to catch QBs and RBs after he shed blocks. SJD never did that.

What Morris needs to do this year is play double 3Ts with a 5 man front. Floyd, AD, Gaines, J. Williams and Lewis with Wagner and Jones behind them. That front will destroy most OLs as they won't be able to double AD, and Gaines and Williams will wreck havoc inside as well. That front will also be damn tough to run on. With Ramsey, Rochell, Fuller and Scott in the secondary. Jones can rotate out for a nickel DB.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Look.. we ALL love Gaines.. right? And the Barney Rubble rundowns of players is great.

But.. was he better than SJD? That's not clear at all. Gaines is a better penetrator.. but SJD is a fucking monster in the gap-and-a-half scheme that Staley had them run and his numbers last year are at least as good as Gaines.

Just keeping it real.

SJD got a top 20 AAV contract for a reason, he's a hell of a player, especially against the run.

badcop

UDFA
Gaines resets the line of scrimmage. SJD tackles down filed because the O lineman reset the line of scrimmage also blown out too often by doubles teams. Gaines appears to be tasked with gap and a half against running QB's. Gaines racked up around 36 pressures as well. Pretty damn good for an NT. Gaines also draws numerous holding penalties. Both good but I think one is better. Seems the coaches did too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Gaines resets the line of scrimmage. SJD tackles down filed because the O lineman reset the line of scrimmage also blown out too often by doubles teams. Gaines appears to be tasked with gap and a half against running QB's. Gaines racked up around 36 pressures as well. Pretty damn good for an NT. Gaines also draws numerous holding penalties. Both good but I think one is better. Seems the coaches did too.
Um...
SJD was the starter.

Beat out Gaines 2 years straight.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Personally, I thought Joseph-Day played really well in 2020.

Was very disappointed when he went-down last year (Week 7)

However, also thought Gaines played better from that point-forward, than SBJ played pre-injury.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We’ll see how SJD does without the Donald affect. Others who have left haven’t produced much.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Personally, I thought Joseph-Day played really well in 2020.

Was very disappointed when he went-down last year (Week 7)

However, also thought Gaines played better from that point-forward, than SBJ played pre-injury.
One thing no one talks about..

Gaines played on a line with Von Miller, SJD didn't.

Hard to know how that impacted protection calls for Olines and if that impacted Gaines.

I think Gaines is a better penetrator, but, again, I don't know the he was better than SJD.

Hard to believe for some, but SJD actually tested better in every category, in addition to being taller with longer arms.

fearsomefour

Legend
People didn't believe me when I kept saying Gaines was better than SJD. He's a very good NT with quickness, strength and enough speed to catch QBs and RBs after he shed blocks. SJD never did that.

What Morris needs to do this year is play double 3Ts with a 5 man front. Floyd, AD, Gaines, J. Williams and Lewis with Wagner and Jones behind them. That front will destroy most OLs as they won't be able to double AD, and Gaines and Williams will wreck havoc inside as well. That front will also be damn tough to run on. With Ramsey, Rochell, Fuller and Scott in the secondary. Jones can rotate out for a nickel DB.
At that time, SJD was better than Gaines.
By the end of the previous year Gaines had pretty much evened things out. It was sort of an ideal situation as it helped create a true DL rotation, which is huge.
When SJD got injured it allowed Gaines to shine and he was great and made SJD expendable.
Now.....who steps up to fill that rotational void?
Williams would seem to be the favorite, or Brown when he returns from suspension.

fearsomefour

Legend
Look.. we ALL love Gaines.. right? And the Barney Rubble rundowns of players is great.

But.. was he better than SJD? That's not clear at all. Gaines is a better penetrator.. but SJD is a fucking monster in the gap-and-a-half scheme that Staley had them run and his numbers last year are at least as good as Gaines.

Just keeping it real.

SJD got a top 20 AAV contract for a reason, he's a hell of a player, especially against the run.
Players have a developmental arc.
When Gaines first joined the Rams, the first year and a half or so, SJD was better than Gaines. Thats to be expected.
Gaines surpassed him in my opinion.
However, the Chargers signing of SJD and a guy like Mack is such a perfect teaming. That Charger team is loaded now. Chargers are gonna Charger, so, I am sure they will find a way to miss the playoffs.
That said, the finding of gems like SJD and Gaines really speaks to both Sneads and staffs ability to find talent and the coaching staff ability to develop that talent.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes, but he is still a Ram and they let SJD walk. I think that speaks to what they think.

Gaines is on a rookie contract and played very well. We're not talking about some big difference and I'm not saying there is.
They let SJD go because that's the model. That's why Bobby Brown was drafted.. to develop behind those guys and be ready to contribute for real in year 3.

That's how they think. SJD got 8 million a year, that's what the league thinks. We'll see next year what kind of $$ Gaines gets.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Players have a developmental arc.
When Gaines first joined the Rams, the first year and a half or so, SJD was better than Gaines. Thats to be expected.
Gaines surpassed him in my opinion.
However, the Chargers signing of SJD and a guy like Mack is such a perfect teaming. That Charger team is loaded now. Chargers are gonna Charger, so, I am sure they will find a way to miss the playoffs.
That said, the finding of gems like SJD and Gaines really speaks to both Sneads and staffs ability to find talent and the coaching staff ability to develop that talent.
The last part is the most important part, imo.
Hopefully, Bobby Brown can fulfill his potential. Saw some nice things in preseason and physically, he's a friggin beast.

jjab360

Legend
I prefer Gaines to SJD for what it's worth. Short and stocky but underrated athleticism and relentless on the field. Reminds me of Kyle Williams with the Bills.