Greg Gaines to bucs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
System QB who puts up huge numbers in college. Pro game isn’t friendly to short QB’s that struggle in the pocket. Pro rushers have speed to take away his scrambling abilities. The guys a head case already. Somebody will draft him off his numbers and regret it immediately. He’s a little taller than Murray and about the same height as Mayfield. How did those two fair in the pros.
"System QB"... lol... Dude, he's the prototype NFL QB.

I'm gonna stop after this because you, quite obviously, have no idea what you're talking about.
He's a little over 6'1.. and is a solid 220.. he's a hell of an athlete and an incredible off-platform thrower of the football.

A little taller than Murray? Same height as Mayfield?? He's at least an inch taller than Mayfield. 4 inches taller than Murray. He runs like a powerful version of Murray and is built waaaaay stronger.

Head case? Obviously you've never taken the time to listen to an interview with the kids. He's as grounded a young man in that situation could be.

Not sure why the hate.. maybe you're triggered by the fingernails, but he's the real deal.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Caleb is the next Heisman bust. Caleb= Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. But he’s already a bigger diva. He gets his nails painted before every game. No thanks on that loser.
Wrong.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Caleb is the next Heisman bust. Caleb= Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. But he’s already a bigger diva. He gets his nails painted before every game. No thanks on that loser.

Nah, I don't mind a man who's confident enough in himself and his masculinity to have his nails painted. That's not being a diva.

But yeah, he's going to be an excellent pro, and if we get the number one overall pick in 2024, we'd be fools not to take him.

Tano

Legend
I’m not sold on Caleb at all as a top level NFL QB.
Did you watch every game of his last year.

He had one bad half and that was against Utah when he had a hamstring injury and was a shell of himself.

The only reason USC only lost 2 games was primarily due to his play. Their defense sucked.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is this a Greg Gaines thread or Caleb Williams thread, just wondering.

Tano

Legend
Well it segue into a Caleb thread since a lot of people think we will possibly be the worst team in the NFL next year.

And just as an FYI, I stated this in another thread that I have a feeling Stafford will not be able to play much at all next year due to the neck injury he sustained and that is the main reason I think the Rams will be the worst team in the NFL.

I hope I am wrong about Stafford but until I hear reports that he is throwing again, I will be pessimistic about his return.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He had one bad half and that was against Utah when he had a hamstring injury and was a shell of himself.

The only reason USC only lost 2 games was primarily due to his play. Their defense sucked.
USC homer!

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Caleb played for the Buffalos, you'd love it!
Lays Super Bowl GIF by Frito-Lay

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Gaines was a nice player for us but if he was as good as is being portrayed he would've gotten more than a 1 yr deal.

This is actually a good point. I'm just hoping it was for a good amount of money so we get a solid comp pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can't believe, that nobody is exited about all the comp picks we are going to get next year.

Do the Rams and Les Snead overvalue compensatory picks?

Do the Rams rely on compensatory picks more than they should?

By BlaineGrisak@bgrisakDTR Mar 20, 2023,
usa_today_10900588.0.jpg

Throughout the 2023 free agency period, the Los Angeles Rams have been very quiet. Their only signing has been bringing back center Coleman Shelton while they have lost players like Nick Scott and Greg Gaines. That doesn’t mention Taylor Rapp also being expected to leave as he’s met with other teams.

Over the last five years, no team in the NFL has accumulated more compensatory picks than the Rams. Since the 2018 NFL Draft, the Rams have picked up 16 compensatory picks and are one of just seven teams that have had more than 10.

While compensatory picks are a good thing for teams to have, it also means that they have lost their own players while not re-signing players from other teams, therefore leading to the compensatory pick. Despite trading away draft picks over the past few years for proven players, the Rams have been able to pick some of those back up with the compensatory selections. Again however, that means the Rams haven’t been that active in free agency or if they have, it’s for players that don’t effect that compensatory pick formula.

Compensatory picks have been a large piece of the Rams and general manager Les Snead’s team-building formula. The question is however, are the Rams overvaluing them? For example, last offseason the Rams lost Austin Corbett in free agency. In return, they only picked up a fifth-round comp pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. The same can be said for Von Miller.

The year before the Rams lost safety John Johnson III who played a large role on the team’s defense. Johnson III only netted the Rams a fourth round compensatory pick. With that pick, the Rams selected Cobie Durant.

1679326116638.png

When you compare the value of compensatory picks to “normal” draft selections, outside of the third round, compensatory picks do hold their value. The best way to determine the average value of each pick is with Pro Football Reference’s approximate value metric (AV), specifically the drafted approximate value (DrAV) which accumulates the value that the player had for the team that drafted them.

In the third round, non-compensatory picks held 9.34 average approximate value compared to 6.61 for compensatory picks. However, among the other rounds, the difference isn’t that significant. In fact, fifth-round compensatory picks actually had a higher average approximate value (5.77) than non-compensatory picks (3.92). Non-compensatory picks led with an average approximate value of 5.41 to 5.14 in the fourth-round, 2.9 to 2.67 in the sixth-round, and 2.24 to 2.1 in the seventh-round.

Out of the current 11 compensatory picks that the Rams have used, they have selected two decent starters in Ernest Jones and Cobie Durant. You could argue Darrell Henderson as a role player and TBD on Logan Bruss and Quentin Lake. Among the 11 players that the Rams have selected, they have gotten an average approximate value of 2.64 with Darrell Henderson leading the pack with a DrAV of 13. Ernest Jones has been a nice pick with a DrAV of 9.

For picks coming in the 3rd-7th rounds, that’s not a bad return on those picks. The Rams have been right around the average in the third round while underperforming with their fourth, sixth, and seventh-round compensatory picks.

Over the past five years, the Rams have lost five Pro Bowl or starting-caliber players in free agency, counting Rodger Saffold, Trumaine Johnson, Dante Fowler Jr., Cory Littleton, John Johnson III, and Gerald Everett.

However, did the return on those players outweigh the players that the Rams lost? That’s where this gets complicated and the answer is probably no. For Rodger Saffold, the Rams received Terrell Burgess who never earned much playing time and had an AV of two. The Rams replaced their leading tackler in Littleton by drafting Harris who didn’t make the initial 53-man roster last season and has an AV of zero.

The biggest issue for the Rams has been the lack of drafting high-impact players. Pro Bowl selections is a good measurement for this. Just looking at Pro Bowlers selected since 2018, outside of the third-round, compensatory picks have been almost just as likely to find a Pro Bowl-caliber player.

Third-round comp picks don’t seem to hold their value as a third-round compensatory pick has resulted in a Pro Bowl player just once in 47 selections or 2.1 percent. Meanwhile, non-compensatory third-round picks are nearly double that at 4.3 percent. Of course, compensatory picks come at the end of the round which is where that difference likely occurs. However, that’s still a significant difference.

In the fourth and fifth-rounds however is where compensatory picks really hold their value. As it stands 3.2 percent of fourth-round compensatory picks have netter a Pro Bowler compared to just 2.5 percent for a regular fourth-round pick. In the fifth-round, the two are very similar at 3.1 percent and 3.7 percent with non-compensatory picks holding a slight advantage.

No Pro Bowlers have been selected in the sixth and seventh rounds over the last five years.

You could certainly argue that the Rams have overvalued comp picks to an extent and do need to do a better job at returning some of their own players. That doesn’t mean they need to overpay to keep them, but return players that they have spent time developing if the price is right.

The money that they allocated to Allen Robinson maybe should have gone towards Austin Corbett. Scott signed with Cincinnati Bengals this offseason with a cap-hit of just $1.1M in 2023. That’s a player that could have been brought back, but instead will possibly net a seventh-round pick in 2024.

View: https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1637562805824913411?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1637562805824913411%7Ctwgr%5E6d82591fbfec7dfe5d753609676389add3c0f91c%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2023%2F3%2F20%2F23647149%2Frams-2023-compensatory-picks-les-snead

With that being said, it should be taken on a position-by-position basis. It’s much more likely to find starting-caliber players later in the draft at some position than others. The Rams did find Scott in the seventh-round.

At the end of the day, the Rams simply need to be able to hit on their draft picks. That’s the best way to avoid an empty investment when it comes to losing free agents. Out of the 11 players selected with their compensatory picks, five of them have had an approximate value of zero. While the Rams have been able to get compensatory picks for players lost, those picks haven’t always been used on the right player.

As it currently stands, the Rams are currently projected to pick up two sixth-round compensatory picks and a seventh for the losses of Baker Mayfield, Nick Scott, and Matt Gay with Greg Gaines yet to be added.

We’ll have to wait and see whether or not the Rams are able to turn those picks into players worthy of being replacements.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame

Size + Riley = valid concerns about LT NFL success and viability

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Caleb the celeb will crush his collaborating critics.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Well it segue into a Caleb thread since a lot of people think we will possibly be the worst team in the NFL next year.

And just as an FYI, I stated this in another thread that I have a feeling Stafford will not be able to play much at all next year due to the neck injury he sustained and that is the main reason I think the Rams will be the worst team in the NFL.

I hope I am wrong about Stafford but until I hear reports that he is throwing again, I will be pessimistic about his return.
Yeah, I was considering that myself. It's possible that McVay/Snead are aware that Stafford might not be ready to play for a bit with that spinal contusion injury and realize we aren't contenders this year without him. If they knew that, would people disagree with the moves they are making? Setting up '24 as a season we can contend seems logical in that case. Best thing we can do this year, outside of hitting on the entire draft, is drafting a really high potential QB that hits. If that happens, we won't have to concern ourselves with tanking for Caleb being an issue. Drafting a guy like Harrison Jr is also extremely appealing, particularly if we already have a young guy ready to take the reigns at QB.