Greg Gaines became an important piece to Rams defensive line rotation | Free Agent Spotlight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Greg Gaines became an important piece to Rams defensive line rotation | Free Agent Spotlight​

With so much focus on Aaron Donald, it can be difficult for other Rams defensive lineman to get attention. But those who watched that front closely knew the impact defensive tackle Greg Gaines had.

A 2019 fourth-round pick, Gaines was a sub in the rotation for his first two seasons before becoming a starter for his third and fourth. His 8.5 sacks across those two seasons were second-most for a Rams defensive lineman behind Donald's 17.5 and third overall for Los Angeles' defensive front, with outside linebacker Leonard Floyd's 18.5 leading the way.

However, the 2022 season marked the final year of Gaines' rookie contract, which means he's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 15.

So what's next for Gaines and the Rams?

The Rams could obviously re-sign Gaines, and in doing so, they would be bringing back someone who not only affected the passer (16 pressures in 2022, per TruMedia) but also an important piece to their run defense.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'd be shocked if they let Gaines walk. I watched him every game at UW he's the real deal. They don't have an adequate replacement for him. A'Shawn Robinson is a decent player but Gaines is far and away more consistent. In a perfect world you would keep both Robinson and Gaines but cap constraints would probably prevent that. Robinson is an early down DT while Gaines is a 3 down player.

IMO Robinson is a comp pick (maybe as high as 4th or 5th round) waiting to happen. Gaines is also younger.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd be shocked if they let Gaines walk. I watched him every game at UW he's the real deal. They don't have an adequate replacement for him. A'Shawn Robinson is a decent player but Gaines is far and away more consistent. In a perfect world you would keep both Robinson and Gaines but cap constraints would probably prevent that. Robinson is an early down DT while Gaines is a 3 down player.

IMO Robinson is a comp pick (maybe as high as 4th or 5th round) waiting to happen. Gaines is also younger.

Can we afford him? I hope so, but we are TIGHT on the cap.

BE562F05-A2DC-4598-95B3-506CCEDCF372.png

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is not only a good player, but he is the type of player you want to keep. He hustles, he stays out of trouble, and he leads by example. As far as I can tell anyway. It would be nice to keep Ashawn too but you can't keep everyone. Sign Gaines!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Gaines should be on that short list of priority signings. They can afford it if they move things around with the restructures.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gaines should be on that short list of priority signings. They can afford it if they move things around with the restructures.
Agree.

However, I believe that Greg Gaines will be flooded with many NFL suitors bringing much greater gifts than the Rams muster up. His loss will hurt the Ram's DL much more than A'Shawn Robinson's. GG is still improving and has a much higher ceiling than Robinson.

On the positive side both starting DL'ers stand a very good chance to deliver two 4th rd. 2024 Compensatory Draft Selections Awards.

Another ongoing & very interesting process is slowly underway. Ram Org has been signing & collecting a large number of DL'er types as of late, totaling NINE. It's a given that they will resign Free agents DL'ers Marquise Copeland & Mike Hoecht.

Copeland
started 7 gms for DL Coach Henderson & played a major role in the 2022 season. He has been lurking around now since 2019. He is an active run stuffer in a small package. Likewise, Hoecht has been lurking around since 2020 under the construction of Coach Henderson. He has been discussed much in ROD & nothing needs to be said here. Hoecht is the leading candidate to fill the Robinson DE post.

DT-Aaron Donald- 32/10 [6-3/280]
DT-Larrell Murchison- 26/4 [6-2/300]
DT-Jonah Williams-28/3 [6-5/275]
DT-TJ Carter-25/3 [6-4/290]
DE-Ernest Brown-25-3 [6-5/270]
DE-Brayden Thomas -25/2 [6-3/265]
NT-Bobby Brown- 23-3 [6-4/325]
DE-Keir Thomas-25-2 [6-2 277]
DE-Mike Hoecht-25-3 [6-4/300]
DT-Marquise Copeland-26-3 [6-2/280]
DE-Zac Van Valkenburg-25/1 [6-4 265]

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Rams REALLY need to sign Gaines. They can't lose both him and A'Shawn, or the D line will have a big hole in the middle to go with the one at defensive end.