Greg Gaines and A’Shawn Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have an open mind with Brown tbh Boni. He's a young DT who Henderson is shaping so I imagine he'll be ready to sub all over the front. I've seen him as a 5T for a couple reasons, mainly because I think we're in really good shape at 3T (Donald) and 1T (Gaines). So for the starting three it would be nice to see Brown win the starting 5T role and round out a really nice front.

Robinson is going to remain a NT rotation guy who specializes in run stuffing. Brown isn't really a two-gap type beast he's more a quickness type with good size/strength so to me it makes sense for him to slide outside but either way all I care about is that he's good enough to get on the field.

Seems like the Rams started to really prioritize run stuffing after McVay's first Super Bowl season. They've collected a pretty damn nice front for doing that and last year were one of the better teams vs the run. So it's crazy to think that Brown might grow into a guy who has to be on the field and if he does that should make this front something to be feared. We'll still be weak on the blindside rush but man they'll be winning a lot across that group.

oldnotdead

Legend
Staley is the one that used a two-gap NT (0T). Prior and since they have been primarily a 1 gap front played in as a 3-4 hybrid. I think Brown was drafted primarily as a 1T NT with an eye on when AD retires and Gaines moves to 3T. He's noted for his run stopping and not for his pass rush penetration. Why play him outside when you have Lewis and Hollins out there?

IMO it's going to be interesting to see how Chris Garrett and Daniel Hardy look at playing edge. I can see Garrett as Floyd's backup/rotation with Hardy stacked behind Lewis and Hollins. That said I expect Garrett to get Okoronkwo's snaps this year. Garrett played well last preseason but clearly needed a year to develop his technique.

I think they may have gotten a diamond in the rough with Hardy even more so than Garrett who I see strictly as a rotational backup player. Hardy dropped in the draft because he was viewed as undersized, with average positional speed. But he's taller than AD who is often lined up outside. IMO his long arms (34") make up for any size differential, they also allow him to be a good tackler. He has a decent first step, and shows an ability to bend outside. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get occasional game snaps. He also needs to show his ability to set a hard edge and to occasionally drop to cover the flats in zone coverage.

The Rams may be waiting for the final cutdown to make a decision on an edge. If Garrett or Hardy or both have strong camps they might be willing to go into the season as is unless a trade opportunity opens up after the last roster cutdown. It wouldn't surprise me if Hardy becomes a fixture on this roster. They missed with John Franklin-Myers and Okoronkwo, but they might have hit on Daniel Hardy. He has an "it" factor I didn't see in the others, along with a relentless work ethic and style of play. Because of that work ethic I can see him panning out.

I think a lot of teams are going to wait until the close of camp to make decisions on players. I think the Rams are waiting to see what develops at the end of August on their own roster and what trade opportunities might arise.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Staley is the one that used a two-gap NT (0T). Prior and since they have been primarily a 1 gap front played in as a 3-4 hybrid. I think Brown was drafted primarily as a 1T NT with an eye on when AD retires and Gaines moves to 3T. He's noted for his run stopping and not for his pass rush penetration. Why play him outside when you have Lewis and Hollins out there?

IMO it's going to be interesting to see how Chris Garrett and Daniel Hardy look at playing edge. I can see Garrett as Floyd's backup/rotation with Hardy stacked behind Lewis and Hollins. That said I expect Garrett to get Okoronkwo's snaps this year. Garrett played well last preseason but clearly needed a year to develop his technique.

I think they may have gotten a diamond in the rough with Hardy even more so than Garrett who I see strictly as a rotational backup player. Hardy dropped in the draft because he was viewed as undersized, with average positional speed. But he's taller than AD who is often lined up outside. IMO his long arms (34") make up for any size differential, they also allow him to be a good tackler. He has a decent first step, and shows an ability to bend outside. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get occasional game snaps. He also needs to show his ability to set a hard edge and to occasionally drop to cover the flats in zone coverage.

The Rams may be waiting for the final cutdown to make a decision on an edge. If Garrett or Hardy or both have strong camps they might be willing to go into the season as is unless a trade opportunity opens up after the last roster cutdown. It wouldn't surprise me if Hardy becomes a fixture on this roster. They missed with John Franklin-Myers and Okoronkwo, but they might have hit on Daniel Hardy. He has an "it" factor I didn't see in the others, along with a relentless work ethic and style of play. Because of that work ethic I can see him panning out.

I think a lot of teams are going to wait until the close of camp to make decisions on players. I think the Rams are waiting to see what develops at the end of August on their own roster and what trade opportunities might arise.

This was a good piece by Stu Jackson on Daniel Hardy;

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I do what I can to bring back Gaines. ARob is situational—that’s if I have to make a choice. The market might do that for the Rams.

Draft, draft, draft DL. I have felt that way the last 2 off-seasons.
Beefing up the IDL only makes the edge guys that much more effective.
AD alone, has proven this out. See all the departed edge rushers—before and after AD, soon to include vmiller.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I have always been an advocate of drafting lineman. @fanotodd .

Snead's selection of IDL'er Bobby Brown made me happy @ the same time I question his selection of a 43 DE Ernest Brown who is 6-4/270.

IMO currently looks like a flawed utilization of a 5th rd selection at this time. My question is, where are they going to play him? The only place on this 34 D that DC Morris might insert him is @ the 6-4/330 Robinson post (5tech).

The Rams had just released another 4th rd drafted 43 DE in John Franklin Myers a year before who just signed a 4-year contract extension with the Jets for $55 million, with $30.2 million guaranteed.:wow2::sur:

Does anyone else think differently?

ER's Chris Garrett & Daniel Hardy definitely seem like better fits for this Ram's 34 defense as OLB'ers.

Snead Has got much better utilization from UDFA 6-2/290 Marquise Copeland & 6-4 / 310lbs Mike Hoecht than the former 5th rd pick. Mike Hoecht got 9.5 % dressing for all 21 gms of the defensive snaps & Copeland got 9.4 % in 13 gms in 2021 whereas Ernest Brown was not seen. :bueller:

Snead signed DL coach Henderson another Copeland-type UDFA DL in Elijah Garcia 6-5/302lbs.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Top-20 Rams of 2022: A’Shawn Robinson can be an elite defensive tackle

Given what we saw in at the end of the season, Robinson may just be scratching the surface at 27
By Kenneth Arthur
1657918302943.png

After finally escaping the Detroit Lions, he made his way to Los Angeles, proved he was healthy, had the best season of his career, and won a Super Bowl.

Matthew Stafford isn’t the only one.

The signing of A’Shawn Robinson in 2020 was probably met more with confusion than praise. It’s not that fans were upset with the addition; a 25-year-old former top-50 pick out of Alabama who might only be scratching the surface of his potential is a notable transaction for the Rams.

But why invest more cap space into the defensive tackle position when you’ve already got Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers?

On top of that, the pandemic and opt outs brought on an agreement between Robinson and the team to let him come back at his own pace, reset the beginning of his two-year contract, and slowly work him into the rotation. Robinson eventually appeared in eight games, but only for 111 snaps. Would he ever have a vital role on the team?

Patience makes perfect.

As we start the top-10 of our top-20 most important Rams of 2022—a top-10 that so happens to be evenly divided between offensive and defensive players—it’s another defensive lineman who got better as the year got longer. Greg Gaines checked in at #12 and now it’s Robinson’s turn.

#10 - DL A’Shawn Robinson

1657918338845.png

Nobody should be criticized for forgetting that Robinson was even on the team for the first season-and-a-half of his contract. There wasn’t much to speak of in 2020 and then through the first eight games of 2021, Robinson was playing in roughly 30-35% of L.A.’s defensive snaps.

Sometimes Robinson would barely see the field for more than 10 snaps, but like Gaines, he was ready for a bigger role in the second half of the year and playoffs.

View: https://twitter.com/CB969onRBR/status/1493070120935202820?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1493070120935202820%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F7%2F15%2F23220265%2Frams-top-players-ranked-ashawn-robinson
Robinson saw the field for a season-high (at that point) 66% of the snaps in a Week 9 loss to the Titans, recording six tackles. The next week, he played in 75% and had eight tackles. The next week, Robinson had his first TFL of the season against the Packers.

He was now seeing the field for roughly 55-60% of the snaps and Robinson recorded his first two sacks of the season in Weeks 17 and 18 to close out the Rams’ 12-5 regular season record.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1544536784792481792
A’Shawn Robinson had a career-high 67 tackles, two forced fumbles, and two sacks. Better yet, Donald, Gaines, and Robinson could reasonably claim to be the best defensive line in the NFL for last season’s playoffs and they remain together for a run-it-back scenario in 2022.

In four postseason games, Robinson proved integral in stuffing the line of scrimmage, recording 22 tackles, as well as a sack of Joe Burrow in the Super Bowl.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1493962932329357315

Now 27, Robinson enters a contract year with a $9.5 million cap hit in 2022 and a chance to capitalize on his recent success with a another tax bracket on his next deal in 2023. Robinson hasn’t been known for his pass rushing, but he did have three sacks over L.A.’s final six games—if he managed five or more sacks in 2022, Robinson could argue for a contract close to that of someone like Javon Hargrave.

Hargrave signed a three-year, $39 million contract in 2020.

Robinson might be one of the best run-stoppers in all of football, but we haven’t seen teams show a willingness to pay those players as much as the ones who get to the quarterback. We did see Robinson do that recently. If he shows an aptitude for that again in 2023, there’s no telling where his ceiling as a player could actually be. And since he’ll be 28 when he’s a free agent again, he could still have another four or five years as a starting defensive lineman.

Will that happen with the Rams? Should the Rams prioritize Robinson or Gaines?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't pay Robinson. Rams made out on the signing due to how he played down the stretch last year but giving him a big check would not be smart. You let him go and watch someone else make that mistake. The great thing here is that he's in a contract year. So we're about to get all he has and maybe we will get his finest season of his career to date. Because he really played at a high level in the Super Bowl. He was straight beasting out there.

Gaines will probably outplay his value here too. Assuming health for both these guys, they should be in for great seasons and both probably play their way off the roster.

This is why B Brown is really important this year. If he can show something then things look a lot better for down the road. If not then we probably have a DL draft coming next offseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better yet, Donald, Gaines, and Robinson could reasonably claim to be the best defensive line in the NFL for last season’s playoffs and they remain together for a run-it-back scenario in 2022.

:pointup: This is set on a tee. We could be in store for a special year.

You let him go and watch someone else make that mistake.

Whoa, Nelly! What you talking ‘bout Willis?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn't pay Robinson. Rams made out on the signing due to how he played down the stretch last year but giving him a big check would not be smart. You let him go and watch someone else make that mistake. The great thing here is that he's in a contract year. So we're about to get all he has and maybe we will get his finest season of his career to date. Because he really played at a high level in the Super Bowl. He was straight beasting out there.

Gaines will probably outplay his value here too. Assuming health for both these guys, they should be in for great seasons and both probably play their way off the roster.

This is why B Brown is really important this year. If he can show something then things look a lot better for down the road. If not then we probably have a DL draft coming next offseason.
If Robinson becomes a full-time dominant DL'er as we saw during the playoffs ...great then the Rams will have finally got one full season dividend out of his 3 yr contract.

BY 2023 when Robinson's contract concludes NFL teams will be lining up to offer him a Chris Jones-type contract by the dozens.

Chris Jones signed a four year, $80 million contract with the Chiefs on July 14, 2020. Per Mike Florio of PFT, Jones received $37.626 million in full guarantees, which consists of Jones' 2020 and 2021 base salaries. He has $60 million guaranteed for injury, $18.124 million of which will convert to a full guarantee in 2021. The remaining guarantee vests on the 3rd day of the 2022 league year.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't know what the cap looks like, but I wouldn't mind giving Robinson a 2 year extension if he keeps up his playoff play. Brown set himself back with the PED suspension.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
They'll both make for great compensatory picks.

Only way our pay the star's business model keeps working.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They'll both make for great compensatory picks.

Only way our pay the star's business model keeps working.
Both AS & GG will be very popular DT's in early March of 2023 for NFL teams who are oozing & seeping Salary Cap $$$$$.

I do not see this future 2023 Ram team being able to contend or offer enough to secure their future services. :crying:

The 2023 Rams defense will have to depend on Bobby Brown, Marquise Copeland, Mike Hoecht, Jonah Williams, Elijah Garcia & Earnest Brown to replace both of them as starters.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Both AS & GG will be very popular DT's in early March of 2023 for NFL teams who are oozing & seeping Salary Cap $$$$$.

I do not see this future 2023 Ram team being able to contend or offer enough to secure their future services. :crying:

The 2023 Rams defense will have to depend on Bobby Brown, Marquise Copeland, Mike Hoecht, Jonah Williams, Elijah Garcia & Earnest Brown to replace both of them as starters.

I trust in Eric Henderson

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If both Gaines and Robinson become too expensive, the Rams will most likely go out shopping for a mid-level FA with upside.. someone with a similar career profile to Robinson before he came to the Rams.
Only way they don't sign at least one vet.. either Gaines, Robinson or an outsider, is if we see a massive leap from one of the young guys.. AND another of the young guys showing significant growth. Bobby Brown would be the pick for the biggest jump... while Copeland and others could be reasonable rotation guys.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

"The Los Angeles Chargers are signing SJD to a three-year, $24 million contract with $15 million guaranteed."

Yeah, if SJD gets a contract like that coming off an injury, I wonder what AS and GG are going to get coming off of back-to-back SuperBowl victories.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
"The Los Angeles Chargers are signing SJD to a three-year, $24 million contract with $15 million guaranteed."

Yeah, if SJD gets a contract like that coming off an injury, I wonder what AS and GG are going to get coming off of back-to-back SuperBowl victories.

If Gaines can keep penetrating the way he did for much of the second-half of the season.. he's gonna get paid.
The A'Shawn that played in the playoffs is a guy who gets 12-15 million.. for sure.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Agree!

We did see some good plays being made by UDFA's Marquise Copeland & Mike Hoecht as the 2021 season wore on.

I need to be clear here & say I am not sold on any of the backup DL'ers being good starters:not::yawn::unsure:. Thus I have big concerns about this unit next season after GG & Robinson depart with AD being over 32 yrs old.

If ER's Chris Garrett & Daniel Hardy make the MR53 & are legit @ OLB/ER post then the Rams might insert the talented DL-sized 6-5/265 ER Terrell Lewis to work the 3 tech & 5 tech posts in a major rotation on passing downs.

Sure need to see a big improvement from a larger stronger 2021 5th rd selection Ernest Brown if he is going to have a positive effect in that 5 tech post with possible 2023 starter Marquise Copeland.

Suspended Bobby Brown & Hoecht are the only real starting NT prospects currently. Jonah Williams is a wild card @ both 3 tech & 5 tech but is still unknown on the field in NFL game action....DC Morris cut him last season.

Sure would not surprise me if Snead tackles his DL in 2023 draft as he did with the DB this year.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see Hoecht as a backup 3T. He has some natural rush ability to him.