Greg Cosell talks about the Rams Draft Picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sam has a big time arm, it seems that a lot of analysts miss that, and I don't know why.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Sam has a big time arm, it seems that a lot of analysts miss that, and I don't know why.
Maybe they need to start doing that QB competition thing again. Do they still do that and I've just been missing it every year? I remember Favre in that thing, and everybody was waiting to see him chuck the ball. He certainly didn't disappoint. But back to Bradford. We know he has a big arm. I make enough videos to know that about him anyway. One throw in particular always awes me. He's rolling out under pressure, hops at the 40 yard line (so he's throwing in the air) and hits Gibson in the back of the endzone. It was literally a "flick" and it went 50 yards in the air. Then of course that preseason game where he hits Gibson in stride for an 83 yard TD. 60 of which was in the air (from his 9 to the opposing 32 was the throw). I guess in order to have a "big arm", you need to throw it 70 yards? How often does that even happen?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sure like how he views our picks. Hope he's not just pandering to the home crowd. I can't wait to see what Quick and Pead (especially) are able to do.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Maybe they need to start doing that QB competition thing again. Do they still do that and I've just been missing it every year? I remember Favre in that thing, and everybody was waiting to see him chuck the ball. He certainly didn't disappoint. But back to Bradford. We know he has a big arm. I make enough videos to know that about him anyway. One throw in particular always awes me. He's rolling out under pressure, hops at the 40 yard line (so he's throwing in the air) and hits Gibson in the back of the endzone. It was literally a "flick" and it went 50 yards in the air. Then of course that preseason game where he hits Gibson in stride for an 83 yard TD. 60 of which was in the air (from his 9 to the opposing 32 was the throw). I guess in order to have a "big arm", you need to throw it 70 yards? How often does that even happen?
I love that play. One of my favorites for sure. I like Sam rolling out, one of the many things forgotten last year.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
DR RAM said:
Bulger Struggled to get to 60 yards. I remember watching a pro bowl skills challenge where they threw the ball as far as they could. He only beat Hasselbeck. lol

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wonder if his ankle had anything to do with the lack of roll outs. Also, in many instances, it seemed that he wouldn't even have had time TO roll out even if it was called. Our O-line really did stink up the joint.

I have to wonder on that also with Loney still the line coach but with McD's new system, was that a huge mistake as well. I never thought much of Loney but is it common to totally change systems yet keep the same line coach? I'm asking cuz I really don't know. But intuitively, it doesn't make sense to me. He remained our O-line coach through 3 systems - right? Did the blocking schemes fit Shurmur's system better and not fit McD's at all? Was he unable to marry his schemes to McD's offense?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RamFan503 said:
Wonder if his ankle had anything to do with the lack of roll outs. Also, in many instances, it seemed that he wouldn't even have had time TO roll out even if it was called. Our O-line really did stink up the joint.

I have to wonder on that also with Loney still the line coach but with McD's new system, was that a huge mistake as well. I never thought much of Loney but is it common to totally change systems yet keep the same line coach? I'm asking cuz I really don't know. But intuitively, it doesn't make sense to me. He remained our O-line coach through 3 systems - right? Did the blocking schemes fit Shurmur's system better and not fit McD's at all? Was he unable to marry his schemes to McD's offense?
I definitely think the ankle effected his accuracy. Before the ankle injury, he was hitting receivers in stride, though the receivers always seemed to drop it (especially on third down). After the ankle injury his accuracy was off. I think he wasn't able to drive through his passes like he usually does, which then caused him to have problems with his accuracy.

That 83 yard pass to Gibson is basically proof of his ability to hit receivers 50 yards down field in stride. I think the receivers and Bradford were never on the same page. Many times the receivers would slow down to locate the ball and then the down field throws were "off". It made Bradford look bad, but if the receivers were able to locate the ball better while it's in the air many throws that were incomplete would have been caught. I didn't see Dx do that much, but because of his knee he basically only ran like three different routes. Lloyd didn't do that much, but by the time he got here Bradford was hurt and not the same. Danny A was always reliable.

I hope with a new coaching staff and a couple of new receivers and the return of DA we'll see the Bradford we all expected to see last year. I still think he can be a special QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
RamFan503 said:

I definitely think the ankle effected his accuracy. Before the ankle injury, he was hitting receivers in stride, though the receivers always seemed to drop it (especially on third down). After the ankle injury his accuracy was off. I think he wasn't able to drive through his passes like he usually does, which then caused him to have problems with his accuracy.

That 83 yard pass to Gibson is basically proof of his ability to hit receivers 50 yards down field in stride. I think the receivers and Bradford were never on the same page. Many times the receivers would slow down to locate the ball and then the down field throws were "off". It made Bradford look bad, but if the receivers were able to locate the ball better while it's in the air many throws that were incomplete would have been caught. I didn't see Dx do that much, but because of his knee he basically only ran like three different routes. Lloyd didn't do that much, but by the time he got here Bradford was hurt and not the same. Danny A was always reliable.

I hope with a new coaching staff and a couple of new receivers and the return of DA we'll see the Bradford we all expected to see last year. I still think he can be a special QB.
Of course it affected his accuracy, but I don't think designed roll outs were in the playbook even before the injury, which is curious to me.

In regards to the line coach and a new system/OC, I don't think it's usual for that to happen. Line coaches usually only coach one way, they believe in one scheme and they try to perfect it. I'm sure there are some that can coach both main schemes. I thought it was unusual for Loney to remain the OL coach when McD took over. I expected a change. That said, many of the line failures were not missed assignment, but players losing one on one battles.

Now, you can make an argument that hesitation, or poor angles, or bad match ups played a part, but when Bajema tried to block ANYONE, he got burned. Goldberg killed us, except in a couple halves that he played RT. Smith killed us at RT all year when he played there. Saffold could not block the wide 9, or anchor during a bull rush. The center of our line struggled all year, and it appeared as if our center was the problem on many occasions. None of our backups came in a performed well. Only Mattison, among the backups played decent minutes, not a surprise to see him back, but he struggled to block in space. Bell and Dahl graded out the best in games that I broke down, but even they were just average at best. Dahl played exceptionally well at RT. I'm not living in or from Missouri, but they are going to have to "Show me".

Bradford has all the tools to succeed, mentally and physically, but I'm still worried about the line.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Of course it affected his accuracy, but I don't think designed roll outs were in the playbook even before the injury, which is curious to me.

In regards to the line coach and a new system/OC, I don't think it's usual for that to happen. Line coaches usually only coach one way, they believe in one scheme and they try to perfect it. I'm sure their are some that can coach both main schemes. I thought it was unusual for Loney to remain the OL coach when McD took over. I expected a change. That said, many of the line failures were not missed assignment, but players losing one on one battles.

Now, you can make an argument that hesitation, or poor angles, or bad match ups played a part, but when Bajema tried to block ANYONE, he got burned. Goldberg killed us, except in a couple halves that he played RT. Smith killed us at RT all year when he played there. Saffold could not block the wide 9, or anchor during a bull rush. The center of our line struggled all year, and it appeared as if our center was the problem on many occasions. None of our backups came in a performed well. Only Mattison, among the backups played decent minutes, not a surprise to see him back, but he struggled to block in space. Bell and Dahl graded out the best in games that I broke down, but even they were just average at best. Dahl played exceptionally well at RT. I'm not living in or from Missouri, but they are going to have to "Show me".

Bradford has all the tools to succeed, mentally and physically, but I'm still worried about the line.

Maybe its my "homerism" speaking through but Im not extremely worried about our oline. I think the oline coach is the most important position coach by a significant margin. Just look at what Cable did to Seattle's line last year. I think we have the talent for a good line and this year they will play up to that talent level. I also think Rok may surprise some people at LG.

We'll see I guess.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

In regards to the line coach and a new system/OC, I don't think it's usual for that to happen. Line coaches usually only coach one way, they believe in one scheme and they try to perfect it. I'm sure their are some that can coach both main schemes. I thought it was unusual for Loney to remain the OL coach when McD took over. I expected a change. That said, many of the line failures were not missed assignment, but players losing one on one battles.

Maybe its my "homerism" speaking through but Im not extremely worried about our oline. I think the oline coach is the most important position coach by a significant margin. Just look at what Cable did to Seattle's line last year. I think we have the talent for a good line and this year they will play up to that talent level. I also think Rok may surprise some people at LG.

We'll see I guess.
Cable is a damn good coach. I wanted the Rams to hire him. I believe it is one of the most important position coaches as well. I always have optimism about the season, and I am hoping for the best. Let me just say this...because it comes to this...if they can somehow turn Jason Smith into a player, then I think the line could be pretty good. I've never seen him play consistent enough for me to envision it. And it's not just his technique, but his decision making as well. I hope they can.

But at least we have some backups this year in case Smith can't turn it around. Last year we started off with a poor line, counting the back up players, IMO, then bad went to worse when we had to sign players off the street.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

We'll see I guess.
Cable is a damn good coach. I wanted the Rams to hire him. I believe it is one of the most important position coaches as well. I always have optimism about the season, and I am hoping for the best. Let me just say this...because it comes to this...if they can somehow turn Jason Smith into a player, then I think the line could be pretty good. I've never seen him play consistent enough for me to envision it. And it's not just his technique, but his decision making as well. I hope they can.

But at least we have some backups this year in case Smith can't turn it around. Last year we started off with a poor line, counting the back up players, IMO, then bad went to worse when we had to sign players off the street.

Not even just the roll outs (which we all know is something Sam has excelled at in all levels), but the lack of focus on any PA in general. When you have one of the best running backs in the league, a struggling oline, WRs who can't create separation, and a overwhelmed QB something you can think about doing is running fucking play action. And emphasizing it in practice. I don't want to see a fucking ball fake where the running back is going in the opposite direction of the QBs outreached arm. Seriously. Also, try running out of more formations than 3. Then run PA out of the formations YOU REALLY DO FUCKING RUN OUT OF. Along with pulling the same guards and running a well thought out rehearsed ball fake.

Your receivers have a better chance of getting open, if you roll or hold people at the line you limit Sams reads, it makes it easier on the line, and BECAUSE YOU HAVE STEVEN JACKSON you're using one of your strengths! Plus you have Sam who can pin point it on the move rolling right or left, so make that two of your strengths!

Please don't make me think about last year again. :lol: