Greg Cosell Scouting Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Bills scenario was just a hypothetical opportunity to gain another R2 pick. But I do believe there is the top 3 WRs, then a little drop to Thomas/TX Twins and another significant drop to the other top WRs.
I see what you are saying, and I believe that there may be a drop-off. I just question if it's significant enough for a team to make that significant (compensation) a trade up in a deep WR draft class. Especially for NFL teams that watched 5th rounder Puka Nacua go off last year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd put it AD Mitchell..... big gap.... Thomas, then probably like McConkey better then Worthy even.
I'm reading this as you saying Mitchell is much better than Thomas Jr?

dang

Legend
I see what you are saying, and I believe that there may be a drop-off. I just question if it's significant enough for a team to make that significant (compensation) a trade up in a deep WR draft class. Especially for NFL teams that watched 5th rounder Puka Nacua go off last year.
The Bills are in the market for a WR1 and a WR2. I don’t see them having enough draft capital to sniff the top 3 (likely gone by pick 8). There are likely another 8-9 high quality WRs but IMO only 2 other WR1s in Thomas and AMitchell. Both likely available at R1.19.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Bills are in the market for a WR1 and a WR2. I don’t see them having enough draft capital to sniff the top 3 (likely gone by pick 8). There are likely another 8-9 high quality WRs but IMO only 2 other WR1s in Thomas and AMitchell. Both likely available at R1.19.
They also don't have a 3rd round pick in this draft class and had to get rid of a lot of players this offseason for salary cap purposes.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm reading this as you saying Mitchell is much better than Thomas Jr?
Yes, I think Mitchell is much more talented then Thomas Jr. Thomas may be the best deep threat in the class, but literally doesn't do anything else well (including catching). Mitchell is just so much more balanced and even more athletic. Mitchell has a much higher ceiling IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wonder with the WR's, after the top three if we start to get into what flavor does your offense like WRs. Yes, there are some really good ones but not sure they all fit all offenses or all offensive needs (X guys vs slots guys, good blockers, meh blockers, tight hips, go ball guys, etc...)

One argument why a team would trade up for the top three is any offense can use them. After that there are some guys who could end up being really good but fit comes into play more.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I think Mitchell is much more talented then Thomas Jr. Thomas may be the best deep threat in the class, but literally doesn't do anything else well (including catching). Mitchell is just so much more balanced and even more athletic. Mitchell has a much higher ceiling IMO.
We'll just disagree there then I like Mitchell more than most but Thomas can do it all

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Worthy might be the best of the 3 ?
If his stock is down then what he could bring is special as a PR you.
—Tutu is a FA next year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We'll just disagree there then I like Mitchell more than most but Thomas can do it all
As a pure WR , I question that talking NFL ready. Mitchell would get abused at the line of scrimmage.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I did not a see a do it all WR in Thomas. I've only ever really seen separation in fly (deep routes). All of his production was based on Hitch and Go routes, literally almost exclusively. And, as I stated, he's probably the best in the class at Go routes, so he's pretty valuable in that regard, but, I definitely did not see a do it all WR yet. He also had issues with press coverages and his hands are not fantastic.

Mitchell on the other hand ran a lot of various routes and probably has the best hands in the class. I do think Mitchell is more raw but what he has shown, I think can be improved once in the league. Not to mention he is the best athlete at WR in this draft.

I don't want either 19 FWIW.
Worthy might be the best of the 3 ?
If his stock is down then what he could bring is special as a PR you.
—Tutu is a FA next year.
I can't see it. He is going to get broken far too easily. Not to mention, he also doesn't have the best hands. He is and was basically a screen guy with tremendous speed. He is going to get popped in the NFL on screens. Also, I have an inordinate amount of trepidation with small skinny WR's.
As a pure WR , I question that talking NFL ready. Mitchell would get abused at the line of scrimmage.
All three are going to struggle with press, a lot of rookies do since they don't see as much of that in college.

I'll state again, I'm in no way wanting the Rams to draft any of these guys in the 1st round, I just have them listed in a different order the most. I like the ceiling of Mitchell more then Thomas/Worthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I did not a see a do it all WR in Thomas. I've only ever really seen separation in fly (deep routes). All of his production was based on Hitch and Go routes, literally almost exclusively. And, as I stated, he's probably the best in the class at Go routes, so he's pretty valuable in that regard, but, I definitely did not see a do it all WR yet. He also had issues with press coverages and his hands are not fantastic.

Mitchell on the other hand ran a lot of various routes and probably has the best hands in the class. I do think Mitchell is more raw but what he has shown, I think can be improved once in the league. Not to mention he is the best athlete at WR in this draft.

I can't see it. He is going to get broken far too easily. Not to mention, he also doesn't have the best hands. He is and was basically a screen guy with tremendous speed. He is going to get popped in the NFL on screens. Also, I have an inordinate amount of trepidation with small skinny WR's.

All three are going to struggle with press, a lot of rookies do since they don't see as much of that in college.

I'll state again, I'm in no way wanting the Rams to draft any of these guys in the 1st round, I just have them listed in a different order the most. I like the ceiling of Mitchell more then Thomas/Worthy.

Agree with not drafting a WR early if at all ? Were these guys go will be determine a lot as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You disagree with a lot of the experts then. Steve Smith has him going in the teens picks you won't get him in the 20's. Smith talks about him doing it all and the growth in his route tree and route running ability.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7isVdcVugKg&ab_channel=SteveSmithSr

Funny too Greg Cosell in this very thread says he defeated press coverage with his speed all year long so not sure where you got he had issues there.

Even Lance Zeurlein at NFL.com says he beats press coverage.

Dane Brugler says the same better route runner than most people thing and has all the tools.

Most confusing to me is your comment he gets beat in press when literally everybody says the opposite. I get not wanting a WR at 19 most of us are on board with a pass rusher or CB. But I think you're very much underselling Thomas Jr.

dang

Legend
At this very moment I’m seeing Thomas, Latu, Verse and Newton as BPA at R1.19. There are others I prefer but they will likely be gone. I’d prefer a trade down but could live with one of these 4.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this very moment I’m seeing Thomas, Latu, Verse and Newton as BPA at R1.19. There are others I prefer but they will likely be gone. I’d prefer a trade down but could live with one of these 4.
Yeah I'm all for a pass rusher or one of the CB we'll see what run happens I think we could see those 3 pass rushers gone real quick before our pick or we could see a run of WR after the main 3. This draft to me seems like the most fun in a long time not even considering we actually have a 1st round pick haha

Memphis Ram

Legend
But does he have that dawg in him. That's the key for me.

I cooled on Mitchell a bit when I heard about him taking plays off and questions about his effort when blocking.