Greg Cosell on 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101.jpg

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/03/03162012120511.mp3[/mp3]

Greg Cosell of NFL Films --
Notes:

His #1 player in the NFL Draft (based on his film study) is Trent Richardson. He's the best player, best back since AP, has everything you want in a RB, he's laterally explosive, naturally powerful, blocks, catches, etc. A great running game can help you create great pass plays. I think the kid is a big, big-time player. Wherever he goes, he'll be the feature back and will get 1400 yards.

(Is there a possibility the Rams take him at 6?)
CLE should take him at 4. Now, if they don't pull the trigger, I think Tampa should pull the trigger at 5 because VJax came from Turner's offense, and Norv believes in the running game setting up the passing game, and VJax is a free-access vertical receiver. If you get the 8th defender in the box, the corner on the outside will not be in press-man coverage because there's only one safety. Trent Richardson will help your passing game, and I don't believe Blount is a featured back in this league.

(on Blackmon)
I like him. To be honest, I'm still studying both he and Floyd. I might like Floyd more than Blackmon, but I'm not done studying them. I would not put him at the level of Megatron, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, etc. Not that he won't be a good receiver, it's just that I see him more like a Crabtree.

(On Griffin)
Everybody wants you to make a bold, controversial statement. I sort of put out there that I like Griffin more than Luck. So everyone said, "Oh, Cosell likes Griffin, and yadda yadda yadda." To me, the kid's a more talented passer. That's not the only thing that makes for a great QB, but it is ONE of the things.

(There's this notion that RBs are devalued in the NFL now. What's your take on that notion?)
I think it comes from a number of things. It's gospel now that it's a QB driven league, and that's true to an extent. And there are a number of backs, (AP being one of them) who were drafted a little later. It's not a black & white issue. I think Richardson is a great, great back. You don't hear anyone say that QBs are devalued because Tom Brady was the 199th player chosen. If he's there, you don't pass him up. You could draft so-and-so in the 4th round, but so-and-so isn't going to be as good as Richardson. If you're a team that wants to run the ball to a decent extent, you know what? You need a foundation back.

When everyone has access to the results, everyone is brilliant. (love that quote). It's fun to talk about. I could be wrong, but I'm not getting fired. I'll tell you what I see, and then we talk philosophical football and it's a blast.