Greg Cosell: Johnny Manziel looked 'almost undraftable' late in '13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ohnny-manziel-shows-inconsistency-as-prospect

• By Chase Goodbread
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: Feb. 12, 2014 at 06:00 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 12, 2014 at 06:30 p.m.
NFL Films producer Greg Cosell isn't quite sure what to make of Texas A&M star Johnny Manziel, but he sure didn't like what he saw in the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner's last two regular-season games. Speaking with the Midday 180 radio program in Nashville (comments at 16:35 mark), Cosell said he doesn't believe any of the top quarterbacks in the 2014 draft, Manziel included, stand out as the type of passer who would stand out as a surefire top-10 pick in most drafts.

"He played two games this year, LSU and Missouri,(and) if those were the first two games you put on and watched, you'd say he was almost undraftable," Cosell said. "He was so bad in those two games, that you'd struggle to figure out, can I even draft this guy?"

Manziel and the Aggies lost to both LSU and Missouri to close the regular season as Texas A&M slipped out of the BCS bowl picture with its two worst offensive performances of the season. The third-year sophomore combined to complete 40 of 76 passes in those two games for 419 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. Against LSU, especially, Manziel was as ineffective (16 of 41) as he ever had been in his two-year college career as a starter. Visibly frustrated in both games, he was also dealing with a thumb injury on his throwing hand at the end of the year as well.

"I've studied him maybe the hardest, because he's maybe the most polarizing player. As you evaluate and transition him, there is a wide variation in his play. So there is a consistency issue," Cosell added. "... At times, he's shown very strong flashes of structured pocket play that clearly projects to the NFL. So I think it will come down to how you balance these issues. He's much more of a see-it, throw-it quarterback than an anticipation thrower. He's not really a timing and anticipation thrower on film."

Despite his struggles toward the end of last season, Manziel is still likely to be a top-five pick this year. The Houston Texans (No. 1 pick), Jacksonville Jaguars (No. 3 pick), Cleveland Browns (No. 4) and Oakland Raiders (No. 5) all have a need at quarterback and are potential landing spots for Manziel.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
With Manziel, I believe he is right. I don't see him at the moment as top 5 draft pick talent even though he will be. Bortles and Bridgewater on the other hand, I think they can be great NFL QB's in the right system.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
With Manziel, I believe he is right. I don't see him at the moment as top 5 draft pick talent even though he will be. Bortles and Bridgewater on the other hand, I think they can be great NFL QB's in the right system.

Maybe....I'm not sold on Bridgewater though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like Bortles. This crop of QB's don't compare to next year's, though. All the more reason to get Cleveland's first round pick next year. :D

jjab360

Legend
I like Bortles. This crop of QB's don't compare to next year's, though. All the more reason to get Cleveland's first round pick next year. :D
Meh, outside of Winston, I don't see what's so special about next year's class.

jjab360

Legend
Not sure if Mariatta is coming out next year.

You think this class is better?
Probably, but hard to tell right now. Three QBs likely to go in the top 5 and a QB like Mettenberger or McCarron likely to still be available in the 3rd-4th round suggest this year's class is pretty strong, though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Do u recall how accurate Cosell as with his previous mocks. That'd be interesting.

I thought the same thing about EJ Manuel based on his game against Florida I'd of hesitated to sign him as an UDFA, but he went in the 1st, I think Johnny Half Game is better but it was a much worse QB class.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's true. And you know what LSU did? They told their DEs to not rush deeper than the QB and told both their DEs and DTs to stay in their lanes. This forced Manziel to stay in the pocket and deal with the pocket being collapsed around him. He's not good at that. He's reliant on being able to run around. He's not polished at sliding and finding lanes. If he wants to be successful in the NFL, that needs to change.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Other than the Mocker's and draft pundits think. I would really like to know how the scouts and GM's grade the top 3 QB's. In reality it doesn't matter. they will still draft these guys high because they have no choice.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm a Mizzou fan and only saw him play us. His game against Mizzou this year was not good. He looked very average. That's why I am surprised to see everyone think he's a top 5 pick. But, I am not a talent evaluator and will leave that to them, but when I saw him I came away unimpressed.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Well I hope Johnny F'ing Football gets hyped as the next RGKnee and the Browns fall in love.

Trade up Cleveland it always works.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's true. And you know what LSU did? They told their DEs to not rush deeper than the QB and told both their DEs and DTs to stay in their lanes. This forced Manziel to stay in the pocket and deal with the pocket being collapsed around him. He's not good at that. He's reliant on being able to run around. He's not polished at sliding and finding lanes. If he wants to be successful in the NFL, that needs to change.

That seems to be what Fisher instructed his guys to do against QB who like to scramble and/or run. Or am I full of shit lol.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm a Mizzou fan and only saw him play us. His game against Mizzou this year was not good. He looked very average. That's why I am surprised to see everyone think he's a top 5 pick. But, I am not a talent evaluator and will leave that to them, but when I saw him I came away unimpressed.

Even the guys who get paid millions are sometimes fooled by sheer athletic ability and they forget the basics of the game, and especially the position, when a QB has some crazy highlight film plays and a big time winning record.

Myself, every time I hear a QB described with "he just wins" or "he's a winner" the very first thing I think is "he has a defense behind him" and that's even if I have never seen the guy play. And it seems to have held up almost all of the time.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Say what you want about Johnny Boi...

If his ability to sign massive amounts of memorabilia in very "tight windows" is any indication... He'll be racking up 5000 yard passing years right away.