Great Piece on Rams’ Strategy (by E.B. Redding)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
100% we are and we'll likely have a top 5 pick next year. Not mad at the strategy tbh, there's absolutely no way we seriously compete this year with all the holes on this roster.
Top five would probably require 5 wins or less. In the last 3 years 5 wins has earned a top 5 pick once. It's been bad enough 4 times in the last 6 years to earn that slot.

Of course anything is possible. Especially since we only had 5 wins with the guys we recently released. The only reason I doubt we're going to be that bad is coaching.

It only happened once in 5 years under Fisher and offense was anathma to him. With Spagnuolo and Linehan, 4 times in 6 years. None with Martz. McVay is as bad as Linehan or Spagnuolo?
This could be easily be happening behind the scenes. Objectively look at the roster and tell me we're seriously trying to compete. Wouldn't be surprised if AD gets moved.
If this happens, I would believe the fix is in. But I'd bet anything it's not gonna happen. In your earlier post, you spoke of holes. So what holes do we have? CB? OLB? OL? What other position groups should be considered "a hole". It isn't possible to fix any of them via the draft and free agency? And it's absolutely impossible any of the young guys already on the roster take a huge step and fill a hole or two?

In keeping with Avenger's theme of this thread, the Rams might have to crawl through 600 yards of shit to have a winning season but I'm not betting against Andy McVay!!!

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Realistically, I see somewhere between 7-9 wins in 2023.

But If the OL isn’t fixed/decent and Stafford doesn’t make it thru the season, I could see another 5 (or less) win year.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
From now on, if anyone looks up the term non sequitur, it should link to this post.

Seriously…do you just randomly choose threads to post your roster thoughts?

How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?
Do you just randomly choose threads to post your insults?

How can you be so impudent? Is it deliberate?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This could be easily be happening behind the scenes. Objectively look at the roster and tell me we're seriously trying to compete. Wouldn't be surprised if AD gets moved.
True. And yeah I agree AD will be a weathervane on this.

But long way to go. There will be that secondary FA market plus draft so not gonna judge things early before I see the roster.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
if the line is steady and McVay embraces the run game, Stafford could stay healthy. we could be a playoff team. go rams.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Top five would probably require 5 wins or less. In the last 3 years 5 wins has earned a top 5 pick once. It's been bad enough 4 times in the last 6 years to earn that slot.

Of course anything is possible. Especially since we only had 5 wins with the guys we recently released. The only reason I doubt we're going to be that bad is coaching.

It only happened once in 5 years under Fisher and offense was anathma to him. With Spagnuolo and Linehan, 4 times in 6 years. None with Martz. McVay is as bad as Linehan or Spagnuolo?

If this happens, I would believe the fix is in. But I'd bet anything it's not gonna happen. In your earlier post, you spoke of holes. So what holes do we have? CB? OLB? OL? What other position groups should be considered "a hole". It isn't possible to fix any of them via the draft and free agency? And it's absolutely impossible any of the young guys already on the roster take a huge step and fill a hole or two?

In keeping with Avenger's theme of this thread, the Rams might have to crawl through 600 yards of shit to have a winning season but I'm not betting against Andy McVay!!!
Yea I just believe we'll have another sub par year and be looking at a high pick. Maybe not top 5, maybe top 10. But everything we've seen this off-season indicates we are not looking to "push" towards a championship roster in 2023. We're not going to invest valuable resources because we dont believe we can compete for a super bowl. Thats what our moves, or lack of moves so far tells me. And I completely agree, I think it's the correct strategy for this year.

We definitely have gaping holes on this roster. Last year OLB was horrible, one of the worst win rates in the NFL and we just lost Floyd. CB was bad outside of Ramsey and we just lost Ramsey. OL is still a big question mark overall. WR outside of Kupp is full of holes. Skrow is not a #2, ARob is not a #2. Van and Tutu are just guys and wont move the needle. RB is a question mark. What do we get out of Akers? We were bottom of the league in YPG and yards after contact. Akers was invisible for 75% of the season. Is Stafford going to be healthy this year? Elbow procedure last off-season and his arm did not look the same last year. Throw in a back injruy at 34 years old. Who starts at ILB next to Ernest with Wagners departure? Safety was average to below average last year. We're about to lose Scott. Everything I just mentioned is talking about starters. Hows our depth if we face injuries? Pretty bad.

I'm just trying to be objective here and can we make some FA moves with all our dead $? Sure I guess but we only have like 10-12M. We have no 1st round pick. Can we get some impact players in the draft? Sure, absolutely. But enough to make an impact in the NFC? I sincerely doubt it. And if thats the case then we should be planning to have a big 2024 offseason and draft IMO. I will never bet against McVay, but he can only scheme around certain weaknesses, and I think our defense will take a decent step back this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
if the line is steady and McVay embraces the run game, Stafford could stay healthy. we could be a playoff team. go rams.
OL and Secondary. If they fix those two things we'll be pretty happy. Secondary might be worse off than the OL, they need help badly.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yea I just believe we'll have another sub par year and be looking at a high pick. Maybe not top 5, maybe top 10. But everything we've seen this off-season indicates we are not looking to "push" towards a championship roster in 2023. We're not going to invest valuable resources because we dont believe we can compete for a super bowl. Thats what our moves, or lack of moves so far tells me. And I completely agree, I think it's the correct strategy for this year.

We definitely have gaping holes on this roster. Last year OLB was horrible, one of the worst win rates in the NFL and we just lost Floyd. CB was bad outside of Ramsey and we just lost Ramsey. OL is still a big question mark overall. WR outside of Kupp is full of holes. Skrow is not a #2, ARob is not a #2. Van and Tutu are just guys and wont move the needle. RB is a question mark. What do we get out of Akers? We were bottom of the league in YPG and yards after contact. Akers was invisible for 75% of the season. Is Stafford going to be healthy this year? Elbow procedure last off-season and his arm did not look the same last year. Throw in a back injruy at 34 years old. Who starts at ILB next to Ernest with Wagners departure? Safety was average to below average last year. We're about to lose Scott. Everything I just mentioned is talking about starters. Hows our depth if we face injuries? Pretty bad.

I'm just trying to be objective here and can we make some FA moves with all our dead $? Sure I guess but we only have like 10-12M. We have no 1st round pick. Can we get some impact players in the draft? Sure, absolutely. But enough to make an impact in the NFC? I sincerely doubt it. And if thats the case then we should be planning to have a big 2024 offseason and draft IMO. I will never bet against McVay, but he can only scheme around certain weaknesses, and I think our defense will take a decent step back this year.
I'm trying to be objective too.

On your "highlighted" comments.
Everything we've seen this off season = the last 7 days. Is that the "off season"?

Last year OLB was horrible.....and yet some are all up in arms because we cut ties with Floyd?

CB was bad outside of Ramsey? At times it was bad WITH Ramsey. But yeah, the youngsters had a lot to learn. Call me crazy but I liked what I saw from Durant and Kendrick. Mistakes? Absolutely. But invaluable experience gained. Coaching matters and with some good coaching they might be pretty good.

OL is still a question mark? Sure. We didn't see the same OL in back to back weeks until week 12. I feel certain we'll draft a C.

WR? You don't like VJ? Didn't Tutu show some improvement in 2022? ARob might get dealt and he might not. I bet we add to that group in the draft too.

RB? I liked how Akers finished the year.....notice his improvement once the same OL was run out there for a few weeks. Coincidence? I also like what I saw from Kyren Williams and would bet we get another RB in our first 4 picks.

Stafford's health is paramount.

I'll wait and see what develops over the weeks before the draft and then the draft itself before I go off predicting 4 wins or lost year or any of that other stuff. Doesn't that sound objective?

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you just randomly choose threads to post your insults?

How can you be so impudent? Is it deliberate?
So you’ve never seen that movie?

How about this one?
stripes lighten GIF

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
So you’ve never seen that movie?

How about this one?
stripes lighten GIF
Not everyone finds your shtick to be funny. It surprises me that the mods here allow one poster to purposely antagonize others.

After 13 years on the forum this will be my last post. Adios.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not everyone finds your shtick to be funny. It surprises me that the mods here allow one poster to purposely antagonize others.

Better yet, don't let people you don't particularly care to deal with get away with it by pushing you out. Either use ROD's ignore feature, or just skim right by those posters you find adversarial or unworthy. jmo.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Irony.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I like the way you think!! I am probably being way too optimistic BUT if the Rams (Not just Stafford) can stay relatively healthy and they can sign at least 2-3 decent FA’s and get a couple of starters out of their upcoming draft I agree with you that McVay and the Rams just might fool some people and make the playoffs next season. At least that is what I am telling myself (Giving up is just way too depressing!!!)!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I like the way you think!! I am probably being way too optimistic BUT if the Rams (Not just Stafford) can stay relatively healthy and they can sign at least 2-3 decent FA’s and get a couple of starters out of their upcoming draft I agree with you that McVay and the Rams just might fool some people and make the playoffs next season. At least that is what I am telling myself (Giving up is just way too depressing!!!)!
Hope is a good thing…maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.