Great Piece on Rams’ Strategy (by E.B. Redding)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
What Do You Really Want to Know About the Rams’ Plan?
E.B. Redding
Zihuatanejo Daily News

Rebuild,” “remodel,” “retool,” “reload,” “reboot”… much like “rehabilitated,” these are made-up words… fans and sportswriters words… words so people who’ve never built or run a team can express their thoughts on the internet. What do you really want to know?

Are the Rams cutting or trading players to save money and clear cap space for this year and the years to come? Of course they are. That’s obvious, and obviously necessary.

Are the Rams tanking 2023? Of course they’re not. Sure, they’re going to rely on a lot of young players to support the remaining stars (the “pillars”), but nobody at Rams Park is presuming that the playoffs are unreachable.

Are the Rams gearing up to have the means to make a run in 2024? Of course they are. There is obviously a two-year story arc at work here, in which, after living lean in 2023, the Rams will go into the 2024 offseason with (hopefully) some broken-in young talent, plenty of money to spend, and.. FINALLY… a first round draft pick!

“Rebuild,” “remodel,” “retool,” “reload,” “reboot”…these are bullshit words. So go ahead and label the Rams, and stop wasting my damn time. Truth is, I don’t give a shit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Zihuatanejo Daily News ?

Apparently this was written by Ellis "Red" Boyd, better known as Morgan Freeman.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Zihuatanejo Daily News ?

Apparently this was written by Ellis "Red" Boyd, better known as Morgan Freeman.
That's a favorite movie of my wife and mine, so please don't be offended by the correction ...
Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
E.B. Redding
Zihuatanejo Daily News

Rebuild,” “remodel,” “retool,” “reload,” “reboot”… much like “rehabilitated,” these are made-up words… fans and sportswriters words… words so people who’ve never built or run a team can express their thoughts on the internet. What do you really want to know?

Are the Rams cutting or trading players to save money and clear cap space for this year and the years to come? Of course they are. That’s obvious, and obviously necessary.

Are the Rams tanking 2023? Of course they’re not. Sure, they’re going to rely on a lot of young players to support the remaining stars (the “pillars”), but nobody at Rams Park is presuming that the playoffs are unreachable.

Are the Rams gearing up to have the means to make a run in 2024? Of course they are. There is obviously a two-year story arc at work here, in which, after living lean in 2023, the Rams will go into the 2024 offseason with (hopefully) some broken-in young talent, plenty of money to spend, and.. FINALLY… a first round draft pick!

“Rebuild,” “remodel,” “retool,” “reload,” “reboot”…these are bullshit words. So go ahead and label the Rams, and stop wasting my damn time. Truth is, I don’t give a shit.
They are actually real words. Look them up in a dictionary. You don’t need to label, seems to be his point.

Even coaches mention windows. They do realize that even if making the playoffs is an attainable goal, reaching the Super Bowl is not as easy.

The Rams are planning for the near future. They likely are already studying next years free agent class and next years draft class. But what they aren’t likely to be doing, is thinking that they will be in the Super Bowl next season.

Jourdan said that these moves aren’t about 2023. They are about 2024. She’s as tied in as anyone outside the organization and seems to think that the Rams are not expecting to be great this season.

Ram65

Legend
E.B. Redding
Zihuatanejo Daily News

Let this one sink in.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
That's a favorite movie of my wife and mine, so please don't be offended by the correction ...
Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding.
It was years old before I ever saw and now I will watch when I stumble on it no matter how far in it may be.

An amazingly good film.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember when John Shaw ran this team into the ground before finally leaving in 2011. He really gave us the shank. Eventually, though, we were redeemed by Snead, McVay and others.

I guess you could say the Rams experienced a Shaw shank redemption.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I remember when John Shaw ran this team into the ground before finally leaving in 2011. He really gave us the shank. Eventually, though, we were redeemed by Snead, McVay and others.

I guess you could say the Rams experienced a Shaw shank redemption.
joke drums GIF by neomagazinroyale

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they were tanking in the real sense of the word they would sit down with AD and move him somewhere he'd want to be. Unless he wants to play for another 4 years. But it seems like he's got one foot in retirement so why waste a year with us if that were the case. Why not go to Pittsburgh or what have you and get a shot at a second ring.

This is why I think they're going to push to be competitive. It's just early in the FA period and we're gonna have to judge this roster post-draft to really get a sense of what we're looking at. If they have a strong draft and add some shrewd/cheap FAs they'll have a chance to surprise and maybe get a wildcard.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If they were tanking in the real sense of the word they would sit down with AD and move him somewhere he'd want to be. Unless he wants to play for another 4 years. But it seems like he's got one foot in retirement so why waste a year with us if that were the case. Why not go to Pittsburgh or what have you and get a shot at a second ring.

This is why I think they're going to push to be competitive. It's just early in the FA period and we're gonna have to judge this roster post-draft to really get a sense of what we're looking at. If they have a strong draft and add some shrewd/cheap FAs they'll have a chance to surprise and maybe get a wildcard.
I agree…

Get busy winning, or get busy…

Okay, I’ll stop now.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Are the Rams tanking 2023? Of course they’re not.
100% we are and we'll likely have a top 5 pick next year. Not mad at the strategy tbh, there's absolutely no way we seriously compete this year with all the holes on this roster.

MachS

Hall of Fame
If they were tanking in the real sense of the word they would sit down with AD and move him somewhere he'd want to be
This could be easily be happening behind the scenes. Objectively look at the roster and tell me we're seriously trying to compete. Wouldn't be surprised if AD gets moved.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All businesses have “3yr plans” and things they are working toward in the future. It must be challenging to build plans for an NFL team.

Where I am going is…

Let’s say the Rams have built a solid 3yr plan to be very dominant starting 2024… and into 2025. Thats the plan, get to dominance.

They could go 5-12 again in 2023, the appearance of failure for the next year PLUS…. But if they truly emerge dominant in 2024 all the failure of 2023 will be forgotten.

But you have to get to 2024 first. And nobody wants to tank between here and there.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams moved Hoecht out to edge. This guy weighs 310 lbs but he was asked to gain weight to play DT. He weighed 295lbs as a rookie and timed at 4.65 in the 40. I think they will ask Hoecht to lose weight and get under 290lbs. That should put his speed in the 4.5-4.6 range. Now you are looking at a fast big edge at 6'4" with that kind of speed. Last year he was learning the position on the fly. This year he will have all off season and TC to practice at DE. I think we will see a leaner faster Hoecht at edge this season. The guy had 4.5 sacks and a bunch of pressures as a 310 lb newbie.

Right now they have Hardy in Floyd's position, AD, Brown and Hoecht as your 4 man DL. I would expect them to draft an edge at 36 and for them to release Floyd they must be pretty confident in their 2nd round cluster of edges. The DL would be better with Gaines, but it shouldn't be bad.

LBs Jones and Howard

Playing a two deep shell Morris has Yeast and Lake back there with 4.58 and 4.59 speed respectively. He can play Fuller as MIKE in the middle zone. Boundry CBs he has Durant and Rochell.

The key will be for Aubrey to play the DBs aggressively. He's got the players already on the roster to play that defense. Tampa Two can work but the DBs can't just stand there, they need to contest the receptions in their zones. They need to understand route concepts and jump the routes that they read. They could raise the D ranking from a poor 18th to closer to 10th. If they can this team can be competitive. If not they will struggle. The problem with a two deep shell is that there are some big ass holes and the QBs know it. If that is what you play and the opposing OC knows it he can scheme his receivers open with not a lot of problem.

All we can do is see who if any one else they can sign off free agency and how their draft goes. With a good draft this team can make a run. But IMO the first 4 picks, yeah I included the first 5th round pick because it's high enough to get a decent player, Snead needs to hit big on them.

The biggest problem is still the cap. They have to sign their draft class and with this many picks it's over $9M. Ramsey will need to be a post June 1 transaction. That should clear another $9M.

But I see it like Jourdan that these moves are for next year. Why? Because I don't think they trust Stafford's health. The best QB in this draft is McKee in terms of fit for McVay's offense. But even he's at least a one year project. So do they make a move for a QB this year or next? I think they grab a bonafide QB2 with a 5th round comp picks. Then wait and see what happens in 2024. But having the decks cleared if they have to make a change. Next year there are a couple of QBs in the draft that would be a fit for McVay and guess what, Mayfield might be a FA again since he's on a one year bridge / prove-it deal.

I think this year they look like a wildcard team. But next year I can see them making a legit run.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Rams moved Hoecht out to edge. This guy weighs 310 lbs but he was asked to gain weight to play DT. He weighed 295lbs as a rookie and timed at 4.65 in the 40. I think they will ask Hoecht to lose weight and get under 290lbs. That should put his speed in the 4.5-4.6 range. Now you are looking at a fast big edge at 6'4" with that kind of speed. Last year he was learning the position on the fly. This year he will have all off season and TC to practice at DE. I think we will see a leaner faster Hoecht at edge this season. The guy had 4.5 sacks and a bunch of pressures as a 310 lb newbie.

Right now they have Hardy in Floyd's position, AD, Brown and Hoecht as your 4 man DL. I would expect them to draft an edge at 36 and for them to release Floyd they must be pretty confident in their 2nd round cluster of edges. The DL would be better with Gaines, but it shouldn't be bad.

LBs Jones and Howard

Playing a two deep shell Morris has Yeast and Lake back there with 4.58 and 4.59 speed respectively. He can play Fuller as MIKE in the middle zone. Boundry CBs he has Durant and Rochell.

The key will be for Aubrey to play the DBs aggressively. He's got the players already on the roster to play that defense. Tampa Two can work but the DBs can't just stand there, they need to contest the receptions in their zones. They need to understand route concepts and jump the routes that they read. They could raise the D ranking from a poor 18th to closer to 10th. If they can this team can be competitive. If not they will struggle. The problem with a two deep shell is that there are some big ass holes and the QBs know it. If that is what you play and the opposing OC knows it he can scheme his receivers open with not a lot of problem.

All we can do is see who if any one else they can sign off free agency and how their draft goes. With a good draft this team can make a run. But IMO the first 4 picks, yeah I included the first 5th round pick because it's high enough to get a decent player, Snead needs to hit big on them.

The biggest problem is still the cap. They have to sign their draft class and with this many picks it's over $9M. Ramsey will need to be a post June 1 transaction. That should clear another $9M.

But I see it like Jourdan that these moves are for next year. Why? Because I don't think they trust Stafford's health. The best QB in this draft is McKee in terms of fit for McVay's offense. But even he's at least a one year project. So do they make a move for a QB this year or next? I think they grab a bonafide QB2 with a 5th round comp picks. Then wait and see what happens in 2024. But having the decks cleared if they have to make a change. Next year there are a couple of QBs in the draft that would be a fit for McVay and guess what, Mayfield might be a FA again since he's on a one year bridge / prove-it deal.

I think this year they look like a wildcard team. But next year I can see them making a legit run.
From now on, if anyone looks up the term non sequitur, it should link to this post.

Seriously…do you just randomly choose threads to post your roster thoughts?

How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?