Great Detailed Analysis on Greg Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
NFL DRAFT 2014

The Notebook: Greg Robinson is coming to take your lunch money
ByStephen Whiteon Mar 19 2014, 9:00a87

Auburn's Greg Robinson has the all makings of the next great NFL offensive tackle, but he'll have to work on a few things before he gets there. Retired NFL defensive end Stephen White breaks down the first offensive tackle likely to come off the board in the NFL Draft.

I choseAuburn Tigersoffensive tackleGreg Robinsonas the first NFL prospect on the offensive side of the ball that I would break down. For the purposes of this breakdown I watched Robinson play against Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama, Missouri and Florida State. Those games represent a game in the middle of the season as well as the final four games of Robinson's college career, including the BCS Championship game.

Deebo
Greg Robinsonis coming to take your lunch money ... every. single. play.

It doesn't much matter whether its a running play or a passing play or some kind of trick play, Robinson is always looking to finish off his blocks aggressively and violently. That doesn't necessarily mean a pancake block (when an offensive lineman drive blocks a defensive player on to their back) is what he's after; sometimes he just mushes a guy 10 or 20 yards downfield from where they started.

The Notebook: Scouting profiles
• Timmy Jernigan's brute strength• Aaron Donald, master of technique• Is the NFL ready for Khalil Mack?• Clowney, a monster in the making

This was an important key to Auburn's success on offense because their system forced their offensive linemen to execute a variety of blocks from play to play. I like to group run blocking schemes into the categories of zone blocking and man blocking. Zone blocking usually means that rather than having a particular player or players that the offensive lineman is supposed to block, they step to a particular area on the snap, then block whoever shows up there. Man blocking is pretty much the opposite. Whether it is a base (singled up down the middle) block or a double team (I think you get it), there is a specific man that each guy is supposed to target in some form or fashion.

Many times offensive linemen who are good in one kind of blocking scheme are not nearly as proficient at the other. Auburn evidently didn't care about all that. From play to play they would go back and forth between blocking schemes to take advantage of weaknesses of the opposing defenses.

Robinson is the rare guy who was a master at both blocking styles.

Whether it was trying to drive the defensive end to his side wide on a base block to open up the gap inside of him or trying to cut off the defensive tackle inside of him on the backside of a zone read run to create a cut back lane, Robinson consistently put the hammer down on whoever he ended up locking up with. Sometimes it was five yards, sometimes it was twenty yards, but I only saw a handful of stalemates on any guy that he blocked in five games.

Ok, less than a handful.

You don't see many power running football teams any more. Even the "ground and pound" SEC has a bunch of teams running the read option these days. It's rare to find that offensive lineman who you can call a road grader; without power running schemes it's hard to see guys make the kind of blocks where they dominate their opponent. It's certainly hard to see when you run a lot of zone read plays where the blocking is a lot more lateral than vertical.

Evidently, nobody got around to telling Robinson about that.

Maybe its because I look at offensive lineman through an old defensive lineman's eyes, but I swear I've hardly ever seen the kind of power Robinson puts into his cutoff blocks backside on zone running plays at the collegiate level. And even those I did see happened a long, loooooong time ago, back around the time when I was playing.

Do you understand how demoralizing it is as a guy playing on the front line of the defense to be going backwards for a whole damn game? That's the kind of "bullying" you like to see from a player when watching his film, which is why I am calling dibs on Robinson's nickname being "Deebo" going forward. In that respect he reminds me a lot of Chargersright tackle D.J. Fluker. Earlier this year I called Fluker a goon because of his aggressive style of play, and that moniker fits Robinson just as well. Both guys come hard off the snap and try to take their opponent's will to win on every play.

If you followed the Combine, then you already know that Robinson put up some truly eye popping numbers for a man of his size. At 6'5 332 pounds, he ran a sub-5.0 40 and repped out with 225 pounds 32 times. Robinson is not just a workout warrior; his athleticism is evident in his play. Auburn's aforementioned diversified running schemes sometimes called for Robinson to sift up to the second level (about 5 yards across the line of the scrimmage) to a linebacker and block them in a certain direction. He did this effortlessly and enthusiastically on a consistent basis.

You watch the beginning of the Missouri game and you will see Robinson achieve that second level block on a linebacker in devastating fashion. The power he displays on that play is impressive, but for me I was more impressed at his angle to the block that put him in position to make it in the first place.

Auburn also ran a variety of screens where Robinson had to block a defensive back in space. That's one of the harder blocks for an offensive lineman, especially one as tall as Robinson because they have to get out there as fast as they can and have enough not to get juked out of their jock by a little guy in the secondary.

Watch the screen play against Alabama where Robinson literally knocks an Alabama defensive back out cold. Again, the explosion of the hit is amazing, but just to get out there in front of the runner and be able to hit a shifty defensive back in space like that is a testament to his crazy athleticism.

Robinson blocks an FSU defensive back:

via2.bp.blogspot.com

You can also watch Robinson when he goes over to play tight end on the opposite side of the center when Auburn would go with an unbalanced line. In the Texas A&M game, Robinson absolutely demolished one of their defensive backs out of that unbalanced set. Those handful of plays in just about each of those games showed that a transition to right tackle in the NFL would probably go pretty smoothly as well.

What drives you crazy is trying discern how Robinson can be so athletic leading up to and through the first couple of steps of contact on run blocks and even on some pass blocks, but look so unathletic after that point. When playing against defenders who had good hand fighting technique he consistently lost contact with the guy after initially knocking him back.

Trying To Do Too Much
Robinson's propensity to lose his blocks a couple of steps after contact can at least partially be attributed to what I like to call the (air quotes)downside of all that aggression he displays on the field.

clip_image002.gif
NFL DRAFT
clip_image003.gif

What he has to understand is that every block can't be a pancake block. He starts leaning with his head down once he gets his hands on the defensive player and tries to run right over him. That works when he goes against a guy who doesn't attempt to disengage from the block, but guys with good technique were able to consistently get off of Robinson's blocks. Sometimes it drew holding penalties because he wouldn't let go even though he was beaten.

This also shows up in Robinson's pass blocking. When he gets his hands on a guy that gives up after the first move, he dominates those players and keeps them right at the line of scrimmage. However, when a guy like Alabama defensive endAdrian Hubbardkeeps working to an edge after contact, Robinson tended to lose the block, and in the case of Hubbard, he gave up a sack.

Some of that appeared to be bad footwork by Robinson where he is mostly kicking out to the pass rusher rather than getting depth so he can stay between the rusher and the quarterback. Because he was looking to make contact with the pass rushers early and block them aggressively, they only had to continue to work outside after contact and stay on an edge. That led to Robinson giving a soft shoulder (turning his hip to step back which turns his outside shoulder perpendicular rather than the parallel to the line of scrimmage) because he hadn't gotten enough depth initially.

After watching those five games, I came away concerned about how much did Auburn try to hide Robinson's deficiencies as a pass blocker. Many times, rather than have him block the end man on the line of scrimmage, they would have him block down to help double the defensive tackle. And I'm not just talking about when the opposing defense threatened to blitz.

This is a legitimate cause for concern for any team picking in the top 10 of the draft. A tackle taken that high is going to be expected to start right off of the bat. He is also, usually, expected to man the blind side of his new quarterback for the next decade or so. If they are poor pass blockers on the college level you don't normally see them make a huge leap forward in that department during their rookie season. The question then becomes whether or not a team believes they can get Robinson's technique squared away relatively quickly since he is so obviously athletic.

Versatile
There is another option. A team could draft him to initially play guard, and eventually move him outside when his footwork has improved enough to man the tackle spot. TheDallas Cowboysdid that with eventual Hall of FamerLarry Allen, and I see a lot of a young Larry Allen in Robinson's game.

The explosion out of the hips at the snap, the great body level on every play for a man that size, and the freaky athleticism are all traits that Robinson shares with a young Larry Allen. Allen also had to work on his pass blocking technique before he eventually became the best left tackle in the business.

Am I saying Robinson is a Hall of Famer?

Of course not!

What I am saying is that the potential is certainly there for Robinson's career to have the same kind of arc to it. I don't think anybody feels confident enough in Robinson's pass blocking ability to project him as a day one starter at offensive tackle this upcoming season. On the other hand, if you asked most folks if they thought he could be a day-one starter at guard, I do believe many would agree with me that he could, and play guard at a pretty high level.

Having said that, I also have to say that taking a guard in the top 10 picks of theNFL Draftis pretty unusual. However, you wouldn't be picking him to play guard. You would be picking Robinson to eventually take over the blind side tackle spot and hold that position for a decade or more. It goes back to that whole "upside" conversation that I've talked about in previous breakdowns.

No matter how raw Robinson might be right now, his potential is off the charts. A little better technique here and there and you can envision this kid transforming into a monster. Especially when you factor in his 35-inch arms, which tied him with Tennessee offensive tackleAntonio Richardsonfor the third longest arms of any offensive linemen at the Combine. Having long arms can help to offset poor/slow pass blocking footwork at times. It won't solve the problem, but sometimes it can be enough.

For these reasons, I'm projecting Robinson to be the first tackle taken in the draft.

You just can't deny that much ability, no matter the flaws. Robinson is going to instantly help any team's running game get on track. Sooner rather than later, he should adjust to being a pretty good pass blocker as well.

More fromSBNation.com

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Versatile
There is another option. A team could draft him to initially play guard, and eventually move him outside when his footwork has improved enough to man the tackle spot. The Dallas Cowboys did that with eventual Hall of Famer Larry Allen, and I see a lot of a young Larry Allen in Robinson.
Makes so much sense for this Rams team IMO.

jap

Legend
Versatile

Makes so much sense for this Rams team IMO.

People raise the issue of the oak of experience in pass blocking for this man child. However, we can't forget we have one of the NFL's all-time great OL teachers and this young kid is very coachable. It all comes down to what are the Rams' (read that: Coach Bou's) longterm projections on how effective Greg vs Jake is gonna be. Who will be more dominant heading into the 2nd season?, the 3rd?, the 4th?, etc.

Jake's versatility is unreal---all five OL positions plus long snapper thanks to the savvy coaching of his Pro Bowl old man. However, can Greg really be a more athletic 'Lando Pace!?!

Alan

Legend
jap expecting miracles:
However, we can't forget we have one of the NFL's all-time great OL teachers and this young kid is very coachable.
How'd that work with the last OT we had (Jason Smith) who we drafted because of his huge upside?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
How'd that work with the last OT we had (Jason Smith) who we drafted because of his huge upside?
Different guy, completely different player. No comparison.

jap

Legend

I don't know why members here insist on comparing Greg Robinson to Jason Smith. I don't even begin to see the resemblance. Jason came out in a very weak year for OT's. Greg is coming out in amuck better year, especially at the top.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM seeing no comparison:
Different guy, completely different player.
No comparison.
Not different at all IMO. How do I compare thee, let me count the ways:
Who wouldn't that describe? :LOL:
Perceived to have a huge upside over the other top LT prospect (Monroe). Check.
Needs lots of work on has pass protection. Check
Great run blocker. Check
Excels at the second level. Check

I think what you're really saying is that you think Robinson actually can be coached up. Probably because he is a better athlete and is bigger to boot. Still, it's the same situation and that's what I'm really talking about.

http://football.about.com/od/nflplayerprofiles/p/JasonSmith.htm
Jason Smith Scouting Report:
Perhaps the most athletic offensive tackle in the 2009 NFL draft, Jason Smith out of Baylor should be highly sought after on draft day because of his potential to become a quality starter at left tackle early in his career.

He has good footwork and mobility to pick up speed rushers, and he plays with good leverage, which is important because he isn't the biggest guy at his position. In fact, if there's one concern, it's his lack of size. At 299 pounds, he could stand to add a little bulk to his frame and a little more strength to both his upper and lower body, which he should be able to do without sacrificing much of his mobility.

Smith is a guy who moves well in space and is effective blocking against smaller, quicker players at the second level. He does a good job of pulling, is fast off the line of scrimmage, and is quick getting to the outside. He's light on his feet, and he finishes his blocks well. He also plays with a huge competitive streak.

As the 2009 NFL Draft approaches, Smith's stock seems to be rising higher and higher. I'd look for him to be picked by the middle of the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/jason-smith?id=71471#profiles-tabs:players-analysis
Analysis
Positives: Tall, athletic left tackle prospect. Excellent straight-line speed and hustle, getting downfield on screens and long runs. Can pull and trap, running smoothly and adjusting to oncoming defenders. Moves to the second level quickly, using good angles to keep linebackers out of the play. Should work well in zone-blocking schemes with his ability to lock onto defenders and move. Gets down quickly to cut block despite his height. Adjusts well to outside blitzers. Willing to throw his man to the ground and keep him there. Has made significant improvement in terms of technique and strength over the past two years at left tackle.

Negatives: Typically operates out of a two-point stance for Baylor. Raw in his pass-set technique, standing a bit upright and backpedaling instead of sliding to mirror his man. Locks onto his man at first, but eventually loses his balance and grip due to his average upper-body strength and footwork. Does not have much of a punch in pass protection. Can lose the hands battle on the line. Could use a bit more bulk in the lower body to be more effective as a drive blocker. May initially have to be moved inside to left guard for a zone-blocking team.

Compares To: ERIC STEINBACH, Cleveland -- Steinbach is an offensive guard, but both have the initial quickness and outstanding athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme as an interior lineman. Smith needs to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk to handle the rigors of playing left tackle at the next level. His lack of great footwork and need to improve his stance could be covered up better playing inside for a year or two because he's still a neophyte at the left tackle position (19 starts). Once his body matures, his athletic skills will make him a quality left tackle in the mold of another former college tight end, Jason Peters (Buffalo).

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep GR looks to be a great OLT just about the same time for him to enter UFA'cy when his contract concludes with the Rams. I am sure he would thank the Rams as he departs for all their effort & time invested in him. Meanwhile JM put the peddle to the metal from TC and never looked back & put our 2 or 3 pro bowls in that same period of time.

I thought we were tired of these 2 to 3 yr draft prospect projects and felt it was time to take players ready to play NOW with very little grooming, direction and tutoring?

Boudreau has been saddled with reconstruction & refabrication projects in vets cast offs Chris Williams. Shelley Smith, Wayne Hunter, Quinn Ojinnaka, Barry Richardson, Ty Nsekhe, & Joe Barksdale plus they have handed him other younger prospects to groom, instruct & develop in Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, Mike Persons, Tim Barnes, Sean Hooey & Graham Pocic.

I would think it would time for some solid ready to play OL'ers & give Boudreau a rest on bringing in more development projects on top of with what he already has now.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not different at all IMO. How do I compare thee, let me count the ways:
Who wouldn't that describe? :LOL:
Perceived to have a huge upside over the other top LT prospect (Monroe). Check.
Needs lots of work on has pass protection. Check
Great run blocker. Check
Excels at the second level. Check

I think what you're really saying is that you think Robinson actually can be coached up. Probably because he is a better athlete and is bigger to boot. Still, it's the same situation and that's what I'm really talking about.

http://football.about.com/od/nflplayerprofiles/p/JasonSmith.htm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/jason-smith?id=71471#profiles-tabs:players-analysis
Alan, I analyzed both players, and I wouldn't have touched J. Smith. I would have taken Monroe, whom I had rated higher, even though I was worried about his knees. On tape Robinson is SO much better, it isn't even funny. He is a way better athlete, he's bigger, he has longer arms, and his run blocking against superior talent isn't even comparable. Robinson is a better pass blocker now, than Smith ever was. Greg Robinson loves football too.

You can count the ways all you want, but if you were to ask that question to any decent scout, I'm afraid he'd laugh at you. So don't don't do it:sneaky:

I re-read this and my response is a little blunt. I apologize for that, but I can't think of a way to re-phrase it. I think Jason Smith would be a 4th to 5th round prospect in this draft. Now, I have no problem with Jake Matthews, in fact I like him a lot. I think he's better than the top 2 guys in last year's draft.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
DR RAM confirming my suspicions:
Alan, I analyzed both players, and I wouldn't have touched J. Smith. I would have taken Monroe, whom I had rated higher, even though I was worried about his knees. On tape Robinson is SO much better, it isn't even funny. He is a way better athlete, he's bigger, he has longer arms, and his run blocking against superior talent isn't even comparable. Robinson is a better pass blocker now, than Smith ever was. Greg Robinson loves football too.

You can count the ways all you want, but if you were to ask that question to any decent scout, I'm afraid he'd laugh at you. So don't don't do it:sneaky:
Like I said, the situation is the same. Despite how much better Robinson is than Smith was, you still have no assurance that he'll ever be good in pass pro. Exactly as it was in the case of Smith.

The Rams FO, and so many other teams FOs, all thought Smith could be trained up.

There are two differences in this case. Three if you count higher expectations of success. He has a higher upside than Smith had and we already know he's a dynamite guard.

It's taking a chance over the sure, but lower upside LT in Matthews. As Bonifay said, even if he is capable of becoming a good or great LT how would we know that and how long would it take. Let's say that Jake Long is injured. What's your plan? With the way Robinson pass protects now Sam will be dead in a month if he's at LT. Barksdale can't play LT. If Long doesn't get injured, when will Robinson learn how to pass protect edge rushers? In practice? I see a three or more year learning curve and what have we achieved with our #2 or slightly lower draft pick? A possibly very good guard. Is that enough? That's kind of high for a guard though isn't it?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Like I said, the situation is the same. Despite how much better Robinson is than Smith was, you still have no assurance that he'll ever be good in pass pro. Exactly as it was in the case of Smith.

The Rams FO, and so many other teams FOs, all thought Smith could be trained up.

There are two differences in this case. Three if you count higher expectations of success. He has a higher upside than Smith had and we already know he's a dynamite guard.

It's taking a chance over the sure, but lower upside LT in Matthews. As Bonifay said, even if he is capable of becoming a good or great LT how would we know that and how long would it take. Let's say that Jake Long is injured. What's your plan? With the way Robinson pass protects now Sam will be dead in a month if he's at LT. Barksdale can't play LT. If Long doesn't get injured, when will Robinson learn how to pass protect edge rushers? In practice? I see a three or more year learning curve and what have we achieved with our #2 or slightly lower draft pick? A possibly very good guard. Is that enough? That's kind of high for a guard though isn't it?
Nope, not if he's Larry Allen. And, before the season starts, we will have a swing Tackle on our team. I have no doubt about that, plus, I think we will take two OL persons in this draft.

Jason Smith's love for football was the problem, if you ask me. He fooled people, and never worked on his craft, thus he never improved. We also had a crappy OL coach at the time, IMO, along with a documented poor FO. I did scouting reports on every game that Smith played, even from preseason, and none of them were pretty. Ask anybody who's been around here a long time. I know J. Smith scarred a lot of Rams fans, but you can't pick scared, because of a couple guys. You can't see into their hearts.

That's my plan, Alan.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM with a plan:
Nope, not if he's Larry Allen. And, before the season starts, we will have a swing Tackle on our team. I have no doubt about that, plus, I think we will take two OL persons in this draft.

That's my plan, Alan.
That's a great plan if it works. I'm pretty sure many, not you of course :), had that same plan in 2009. You also can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear no matter how good the tailor is. Although I realize you don't think Robinson is a Sow's ear. :LOL:

As for drafting two OLs in this draft, the second one will probably be a guard which helps replace Long not at all and if he's a tackle, he'll be a developmental type and still get Sam killed.

I'd like a kick ass guard. I'll feel a little better if we draft Robinson after hearing what you think.

I'd still draft Matthews though. He'll be at least a good guard and a very good LT when we need him even if it's right away.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That's a great plan if it works. I'm pretty sure many, not you of course :), had that same plan in 2009. You also can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear no matter how good the tailor is. Although I realize you don't think Robinson is a Sow's ear. :LOL:

As for drafting two OLs in this draft, the second one will probably be a guard which helps replace Long not at all and if he's a tackle, he'll be a developmental type and still get Sam killed.

I'd like a kick ass guard. I'll feel a little better if we draft Robinson after hearing what you think.

I'd still draft Matthews though. He'll be at least a good guard and a very good LT when we need him even if it's right away.
I think we might take Matthews in a trade down, and like I've said many times, I think he'll be very good. I just posted my mock with no trades:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/dr-rams-only-mock-draft-with-options.25202/#post-298754

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Jason Smith's love for football was the problem, if you ask me. He fooled people, and never worked on his craft, thus he never improved. We also had a crappy OL coach at the time, IMO, along with a documented poor FO. I did scouting reports on every game that Smith played, even from preseason, and none of them were pretty. Ask anybody who's been around here a long time. I know J. Smith scarred a lot of Rams fans, but you can't pick scared, because of a couple guys. You can't see into their hearts.

That's my plan, Alan.
I think you nailed it with Smiths love for football. Every year he was here his first few practices in camp he looked like a stud then he went downhill from there. When he couldn't physically dominate the guy in front of him he seemed to lose interest. His last camp they were throwing a lot of wide 9's and 3-4 at the Oline and he just seemed to want off the field. He was a great guy. Such a shame.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think you nailed it with Smiths love for football. Every year he was here his first few practices in camp he looked like a stud then he went downhill from there. When he couldn't physically dominate the guy in front of him he seemed to lose interest. His last camp they were throwing a lot of wide 9's and 3-4 at the Oline and he just seemed to want off the field. He was a great guy. Such a shame.
I predicted that he would be cut following that showing, there was no improvement in his footwork, even with a new coach. I got in a huge fight with a couple well respected guys over at the PD over it, who both said he was improving, two days later, we traded him. I never went back to the PD after that, and the fight followed me back here, and then I got suspended here for a childish thing that I did. I should have done it over there, but I got PDStalked, by a guy that is a polarizing color, who didn't even have a dog in the fight.

Smith was an intelligent guy, got his money, and got out. I got out, but came back!