Great Article - Shaun Hill In, But Rams’ QB Questions Remain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
http://www.101sports.com/2014/08/25/hills-insertion-cant-mask-rams-long-term-questions-qb/

Immediately after news broke that Sam Bradford re-tore his ACL on Saturday night in Cleveland and would miss the entire 2014 season, I started receiving text and Twitter messages about available quarterback options for the Rams moving forward.
My response was the same every time: Shaun Hill in the short term, to-be-determined in the long-term.
Shaun-Hill-3-200x300.jpg

Shaun Hill
The time to improve the backup situation behind Bradford was five months ago, when you were surveying the available free agents and finalizing your draft board. Any player acquired now would have to learn Brian Schottenheimer’s playbook, know how to confidently communicate that new verbiage to his teammates, build chemistry with his receivers and learn the pre-snap check principles that are already in place so that he can effectively audible at the line. Depending on the player, some of these skills are transferable, while others might as well be the equivalent of learning a new language.
But let’s back up for a second. The bigger and more important question is whether or not the new quarterback would be better than the one the Rams already have. Mark Sanchez? Sorry, but at the end of the day, he’s no better or worse than Hill.
Sanchez may have pulled the wool over some people’s eyes these last three weeks while running Chip Kelly’s up-tempo offense against backups in preseason, but the fact remains that he never progressed in his three years under Schottenheimer in New York. Besides, according to this USA Today report, there’s apparently “no chance” that Sanchez would want to abandon his fresh start under Kelly for a shot to rejoin Schottenheimer in St. Louis. (No hard feelings, Mark – seriously.)
Hill has only attempted 16 passes over the past three seasons, but his career completion percentage is 61.9, his QB rating is 85.9 and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is 41:23. It’s highly unlikely that he’s going to come in and light it up, but he’s an upgrade over Kellen Clemens, whom the Rams won four games with a year ago when he was thrust into the starting lineup.
The bottom line, just as it was a year ago with Clemens, is that the Rams are going to win the games in which their rushing attack and defense dominate, and lose the games that put too much emphasis on Hill. The only difference is that Hill has a knack for making a big play from time to time, whereas Clemens was limited as a passer.
If things eventually unravel and Hill looks disastrous as the starter, the Rams may see how Austin Davis or rookie Garrett Gilbert handles the offense. If those options don’t sit right with you, remember that the Rams passed on LSU’s Zach Mettenberger, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, Georgia’s Aaron Murray and Virginia Tech’s Logan Thomas when they were all available in the fourth round or later back in May.
In fact, that’s the only criticism I have for the Rams in the wake of Bradford’s second ACL injury. Why did they wait so long to address their need at quarterback in the draft? Hey, I get it – you trust Bradford. He worked his ass off to not only be ready for Week 1 of the regular season, but also for training camp. Over the past few weeks, he looked poised to repay Jeff Fisher and the Rams for their commitment, too.
I also understand why the team didn’t want to invest a top-41 pick in Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater or Jimmy Garoppolo. Had an Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III been available at No. 2 overall, then a debate could have been made well before the draft that the Rams should have moved on from Bradford. But “Johnny Football” won’t be confused with Andrew Luck anytime soon.
But I wrote and talked about it ad nauseam before the draft: I loved Mettenberger, who has put together a solid offseason in Tennessee. Granted, he too was coming off an ACL injury and had his faults, but the point is that the Rams would have had a solid developmental quarterback on their roster who played in a pro-style system under Cam Cameron at LSU. Maybe the Rams still would have gone with Hill to start the season, but in my eyes, they would have had a deeper pool of pro-ready talent to choose from.
All of that is moot now, of course, which gets back to the main point: Kurt Warner isn’t walking back through that door. Shaun Hill is your best short-term option.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Yeah hindsight is 20-20 as they say, but from what I've read and heard the QB class will be better next year anyway. I'm still confident that we made the right choice by bolstering the team depth by taking the players we did.

Hopefully we can have Hill or one of our other backups hold down the fort until the QB we draft next year is ready. I'm not a huge fan of throwing rookie QB's into the fire unless it's an Andrew Luck type.

MauiRam

Rookie
I'm just a fan, but I do get the strong sense that Hill is a leader - Sanchez not so much. It is an easy choice for me. Hill will engender the respect of his teammates, and prove he's up to the task of leading the Rams IMO .. Guess we won't have long to find out. Should be fun to watch the Miami game (1:00 am Saturday morning here in Hawaii) on NFL Network .

RamBill

Legend
The St. Louis Rams are confident in Shaun Hill to take over for Sam Bradford, but Mike Florio says they have no other choice considering their other options, Austin Davis and Garrett Gilbert, have never taken an NFL snap. (1:34)

Watch Florio Talk Rams QB Situation

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
If those options don’t sit right with you, remember that the Rams passed on LSU’s Zach Mettenberger, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, Georgia’s Aaron Murray and Virginia Tech’s Logan Thomas when they were all available in the fourth round or later back in May. In fact, that’s the only criticism I have for the Rams in the wake of Bradford’s second ACL injury. Why did they wait so long to address their need at quarterback in the draft?

I'm with Stalter on this. I was seriously thinking about Garoppolo in the 2nd. But they really needed secondary help and there was a huge run on DBs in the first. When then used a 5th to move up to take Joyner, I thought for sure they were taking QB with the 3rd or 4th. No way they'd wait until the 6th to take a QB. 3rd came and they took luxury pick Tre Mason, ok. 4th came, and they took unheralded Mo Alexander? That's the one that really shocked me. Then I was hoping they'd package up some of those later picks to move up... but no. Just waited and waited...

I mean, if you want a Russell Wilson to step up and pleasantly surprise you, you need to bring a Russell Wilson onto the roster.

Personally, I had my eye on AJ McCarron, but that might have just been my creepy inner Brent Musburger talking.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If the front office brought in Mark freaking Sanchez I would puke. Doubt they would though.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yeah hindsight is 20-20 as they say, but from what I've read and heard the QB class will be better next year anyway. I'm still confident that we made the right choice by bolstering the team depth by taking the players we did.

Hopefully we can have Hill or one of our other backups hold down the fort until the QB we draft next year is ready. I'm not a huge fan of throwing rookie QB's into the fire unless it's an Andrew Luck type.

>>I'm not a huge fan of throwing rookie QB's into the fire unless it's an Andrew Luck type.<<

And there lies the dilemma that this gamble has produced. And yes, based upon (some) medical opinions, bringing Bradford back this early was a gamble despite all the assurances.There aren't many A. Luck's in this world. As much as I hate to suggest this... the Rams might end up better off (in the future) should they "step back" this season. Now I'm beginning to worry about other veterans contracts 2 and 3 years out and whether or not this team can keep the continuity of talent until a franchise QB can be found and developed.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
As much as I hate to suggest this... the Rams might end up better off (in the future) should they "step back" this season. Now I'm beginning to worry about other veterans contracts 2 and 3 years out and whether or not this team can keep the continuity of talent until a franchise QB can be found and developed.

Sorry but I just think this is the completely wrong mindset to have. I know for damn sure the team isn't thinking that way. You need to play to compete, and with how much talent we have on this team there's no point in throwing in the towel just because someone got hurt. If anything we should step up our game and compete even harder. Also, Fisher can't just "take a year off". This team has been in the dumps forever and fans want to win regardless of the situation. If he decided to just give up that wouldn't reflect very well on him.

I'll guarantee you this team isn't gonna just give up. Too much young hungry talent that wants to win regardless of the situation.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I appreciate your perspective, I was certainly not suggesting "giving up" anything.

By "step back", the term refers to the "end result", without regard to the reasons or (circumstances) that gets them there. Should such a fate occur, the resulting higher draft choice would seem advantages at this point.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If things unravel, they won't be handing Gilbert the reigns. Davis? It's looking better. Gilbert? Not gonna happen.