Great article from a great coach and man! Bill Snyder bemoans TV's influence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

[espn.go.com]

MANHATTAN, Kan. -- Bill Snyder ripped the big-time nature of college athletics as Kansas State opened fall camp Wednesday, lamenting the way universities have "sold out" in search of the almighty dollar.

During a lengthy oratory in which the 74-year-old coach planned to discuss the upcoming season, Snyder argued that TV has assumed too much control of college sports; education has become a second thought; and that the entire endeavor "distorts" the values of young people.

"It's changed. I mean, college athletics, football in particular, has changed dramatically over the years," Snyder said. "I think we've sold out. We're all about dollars and cents.

The concept of college football no longer has any bearing on the quality of the person, the quality of students. Universities are selling themselves out."

Snyder voiced his thoughts one day before the NCAA board of directors is to vote on a proposal giving the five wealthiest college football conferences -- among them the Big 12, which counts Kansas State among its membership -- the ability to make rules and pass legislation without the approval of the rest of Division I schools.

The autonomy proposal is expected to pass.

"It's no longer about education," Snyder said. "We've sold out to the cameras over there, and TV has made its way, and I don't fault TV. I don't fault whoever broadcasts games. They have to make a living and that's what they do, but athletics -- that's it. It's sold out."

While the game changed dramatically from the days when Snyder played defensive back at tiny William Jewell to when he was hired as the coach of Kansas State in 1989, only in the last two decades have the changes picked up speed. Now, schools are building football palaces, coaches are paid millions of dollars and games are broadcast nearly every night of the week.

Kansas State is no different than the rest of them, either.

The Wildcats, who open their season Aug. 30, will play a high-profile Thursday night game against Auburn three weeks later. And it will be played in a stadium that recently underwent a $90 million renovation, with another $65 million in work scheduled to begin after the season.

The school has also opened an $18 million basketball training facility and spent several million to update Bramlage Coliseum in recent years, while also building a new rowing center and tennis stadium -- all told, about $125 million in facilities in less than three years.

"Everybody is building Taj Mahals," Snyder said, "and I think it sends the message -- and young people today I think are more susceptible to the downside of that message, and that it's not about education. We're saying it is, but it's really about the glitz and the glitter, and I think sometimes values get distorted that way. I hate to think a young guy would make a decision about where he's going to get an education based on what a building looks like."

Yet across college sports, schools are in constant competition to do things bigger and bolder. Iowa State recently announced plans to spend $60 million renovating Jack Trice Stadium. Baylor is preparing to open a new, $250 million football stadium this season. Oklahoma has received approval for $370 million in upgrades to Memorial Stadium.

"Our professors -- I have an office I could swim in. They're in a cubbyhole somewhere," Snyder said, "yet they go out and teach and promote education every day, and I value that."

Snyder, who has won 178 games in 22 seasons at Kansas State, also bemoaned the way schedules have bloated, not only in the number of games but the way they are played throughout the week.

When Snyder was a graduate assistant at Southern California in 1966, the Trojans opened the season on Sept. 17, played 10 games and were done with their regular season the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They played in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 2.

This year, Kansas State will play its third game on Sept. 18 and wrap its regular season on Dec. 6. If the Wildcats made the national title game, they would play on Jan. 12.

"Now tell me how that stuff happens. To me, that's not what football is about," Snyder said, shaking his head. "Now, that's only my opinion. I'm not upset with the people that promote some of that stuff because they're trying to do their thing. That's what they do. But I think we've lost sight of what college athletics is all about."

SPOT ON COACH!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It is the nature of the beast....Because of this Coaches like Snyder now make more money than they could ever had imagined. IMO some hypocrisy here. Not doubting Snyder because he's a throwback and old school, however, it is the medium of television that has escalated coaches salaries beyond believe.

I have no doubt Snyder would do this for much less, however, is education become secondary when you're able to build that library that without the money you never would have been able to do so. Also grants and many other collegiate opportunities are tied to the money from that revenue stream.

In the long run you can't have it both ways and you need to embrace the opportunities and control them accordingly.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach with some truisms:
It is the nature of the beast....Because of this Coaches like Snyder now make more money than they could ever had imagined. IMO some hypocrisy here. Not doubting Snyder because he's a throwback and old school, however, it is the medium of television that has escalated coaches salaries beyond believe.

I have no doubt Snyder would do this for much less, however, is education become secondary when you're able to build that library that without the money you never would have been able to do so. Also grants and many other collegiate opportunities are tied to the money from that revenue stream.

In the long run you can't have it both ways and you need to embrace the opportunities and control them accordingly.
Yeah, it's nice to build new libraries but my big complaint is that none of the revenues seem to be affecting the tuition costs of the students. If anything, the tuition costs at the schools with major football programs are rising faster than those without them. That's just plain wrong in my book.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I agree the college game sold out to finances, it's been a steady process all along w the bigger programs. And to say it's affecting education, well... I have a daughter at Mizzou, another at Missouri State, and a son at Drury and none of it costs me a dime. All have earned academic scholarships with less than stellar test scores. For those kids who value education, the money is there. Some of that comes from athletics but that's not where our greatest collegiate issues reside. My mother just retired from an administrative and teaching position at MSSU. State funding cuts and curious administrative decisions pose a far greater risk than anything happening in athletics.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, it's nice to build new libraries but my big complaint is that none of the revenues seem to be affecting the tuition costs of the students. If anything, the tuition costs at the schools with major football programs are rising faster than those without them. That's just plain wrong in my book.

Very true just like State Lottery's are to go for Education, but you have State Bureaucrats driving vehicles on that dime and quality young teachers unable to land positions or getting laid off. The best you can hope for is the money does go for additional scholarships that would never be offered without it and not just athletic scholarships because tuition costs will never be reduced, but hopefully there are more scholarships and financial aid that can be made available to subsidize the cost.

Alan

Legend
leoram weighing in:
State funding cuts
and curious administrative decisions pose a far greater risk than anything happening in athletics.
Incredibly stupid shortsighted thinking.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Schools are heavily regulated institutions. They have to keep logs from fire to general safety and have some sort of Constitution Day Celebration. It's the darndest thing, Congress has set a limit, less than $10, of kickbacks or gifts that low level school officials can receive but for some reason that doesn't seem to apply to athletics.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
What's the alternative? The revenue that's being generated from TV deals is going to be dispersed somewhere. Shouldn't it be more closely aligned with the agents that are generating it?