Great AD99 interview with Chris Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler

View: https://youtu.be/xCqCjahUEJA?si=5ycPEA-3pkk77xVU

You can tell these guys have great respect for each other. Made for a great interview.

Was impressed with how candid Aaron was. He said he knew before the season it was his last, and just didn’t have it in him to do another offseason, another training camp, etc. And he felt like if he came back he’d just be doing it for a check and he wouldn’t want to cheat the game like that. Also admitted there’s a chance that he could start missing it like hell once the season starts. But sounds like he’s already got his hands in several projects, maybe even acting classes.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Also admitted there’s a chance that he could start missing it like hell once the season starts.
IMG_1426.jpeg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris Long's interviews are always a good watch TY for posting!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Was interesting how he talked about Fisher. Really liked him, but he and Chris Long knew they weren't doing things right. Not a lot of discipline apparently.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was interesting how he talked about Fisher. Really liked him, but he and Chris Long knew they weren't doing things right. Not a lot of discipline apparently.
I’ve heard Chris Long talk about him several times. I think he really likes Fisher, and thinks he’s a great dude to grab a few beers with. But as far as coaching an NFL team in the 2010s….I think it’s clear where Chris stands. He’s super polite about it though.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I’ve heard Chris Long talk about him several times. I think he really likes Fisher, and thinks he’s a great dude to grab a few beers with. But as far as coaching an NFL team in the 2010s….I think it’s clear where Chris stands. He’s super polite about it though.
Yeah, there is certainly a big difference between being a good coach who knows what he is doing X'& O's wise, but is poor at creating a winning culture with discipline, etc... Verses a coach who is both good at X's & O's as well as instilling discipline, work ethic and accountability on to his players. And if your coach is great at both, then you can have a HOF type coach.

A former LB for the Eagles, Ike Reese, who is now a radio guy, often has tells the story of when he finished his career in Atlanta. Coach Mora (the kid) was his head coach.

One day he told all the players during camp that they had to take the buses over to the stadium for a practice. No one was allowed to drive themselves. He expected all players to take the team buses He was adamant about it.

So the next day all the players are boarding the buses at their practice facility and next thing you know he hears a loud sports car pulling up. It was DeAngelo Hall in a Lamborghini. He pulls up next to the bus, and coach Mora comes out of the building and hops in the car and off they go over to the stadium.

Reese said right then and there, he knew he was no longer in Philly and that it was not going to be a very good season.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was there, when the fights broke out, in Oxnard, at the Cowboys joint practice. It was crazy. Awesome that they brought that practice up as the craziest fights they were ever involved in.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I thought it was really interesting to hear how light his real playing weight was. He was down to 250 as a Dt in 2018.

Psycho_X

Legend
Loved all of the stories from the "old" days. Lol at they were just like "We kicked the Cowboys asses in that fight". And agree with previous posters that I love Long's show. One of the few I'll actually watch anymore. The guy is just personable, easy to have interesting and honest convos with players, and has my kind of sense of humor.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD mentioned that he was sick of being double and triple-teamed all the time and I believe that was the biggest factor in his retiring. Running backs and QBs and WR's get to enjoy great plays throughout the games but AD only made 20-25 great plays per season. Even when he beat the double teams the QB got the ball out or the play went away from him. It had to be tiring just missing the sack or TFL when he tried so hard on every play. He is going to miss this season, big-time IMO, but I don't believe he will ever come back.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
AD mentioned that he was sick of being double and triple-teamed all the time and I believe that was the biggest factor in his retiring. Running backs and QBs and WR's get to enjoy great plays throughout the games but AD only made 20-25 great plays per season. Even when he beat the double teams the QB got the ball out or the play went away from him. It had to be tiring just missing the sack or TFL when he tried so hard on every play. He is going to miss this season, big-time IMO, but I don't believe he will ever come back.
I will say, I think the Rams did fail to give him a partner to reduce some of those double & triple teams. They should have added a guy like Turner yrs ago, maybe a few guys like him. They put too much on ADs plate year in and year out.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think there is any doubt he will be missing the game when the season comes around. But as the years go by the desire starts to wane. Anyone who has played a sport they love for a long time will miss it when its over. Whether is a city league softball/basketball league or the highest level of a professional sport.

dang

Legend
And how many missed holding calls? Donald would have to be tackled from behind to get a goddamn holding call against him. Let the NFL forget about him for a couple years. Then come back AD and see what happens when coaches and refs treat you like an average NFL player by putting a single blocker on you and not putting a blind eye to all the blatant holding.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I thought it was really interesting to hear how light his real playing weight was. He was down to 250 as a Dt in 2018.
Yeah, I thought that was fascinating too. An elite DT playing at just over 250lbs in the NFL? And racking up 20.5 sacks and 25 TFL's and winning DPOY while doing so? And lastly... they essentially kept his low weight a secret all year?

Interesting stuff. Makes you wonder about the conventional wisdom regarding a DT's weight. Granted AD is a freak.... a super freak. But could other strong and undersized and cat-quick DT's create some mismatches?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

View: https://youtu.be/xCqCjahUEJA?si=5ycPEA-3pkk77xVU

You can tell these guys have great respect for each other. Made for a great interview.

Was impressed with how candid Aaron was. He said he knew before the season it was his last, and just didn’t have it in him to do another offseason, another training camp, etc. And he felt like if he came back he’d just be doing it for a check and he wouldn’t want to cheat the game like that. Also admitted there’s a chance that he could start missing it like hell once the season starts. But sounds like he’s already got his hands in several projects, maybe even acting classes.

Finally got to watch that. What a GREAT watch. Of course, every interview I see with AD, he always reminds me just how brilliant he really is. Many of the great athletes are also wicked smart. Football players are often cast as big dummies. But you just don't do what Aaron was able to do without it all.

Man I'm going to miss watching him play.

Maybe we'll see him in movies as the next Arnie bet better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But could other strong and undersized and cat-quick DT's create some mismatches?
That's what I always wondered as well. And that's when I thought he was about 285. 258? Wild!

But yeah... Are there others out there that are being miscast and could be terrors inside?

It'll be interesting to see because AD has made such a mark on the position.

methomas50

Rookie
Is this the pod cast where AD admitted to playing between 250 and 258 pounds? Incredible really when you think about it. Double and triple teamed every play by guys that out weighed him by a minimum 50 pounds every play. Alan Page who I have compared him to played at 245 pounds but that was 50 years ago against O Linemen that for the most part weighed 260.

Ram65

Legend
I hoped AD would do this interview with Chris Long. He did and it didn't disappoint. I enjoyed the fellowship talk about the St Louis Rams D Lineman. I thought for sure AD would play another year because of his competitiveness. Oh well, I now understand that he knew it was his time to leave the Rams and the NFL. I enjoyed listening to these two friends talk about life and war stories.