Grass?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Demoff was on an LA radio show today, and said they're trying to use grass in the the new stadium, but are obviously aware there are problems with it.

There's hope anyway - I thought it was off the table.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the stadium floor being at least 100 feet under ground and a covered roof(not retractable) those are 2 huge obstacles for a grass surface.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Might depend on if there are two teams playing on it as well

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With the stadium floor being at least 100 feet under ground and a covered roof(not retractable) those are 2 huge obstacles for a grass surface.

It does seem challenging when you look at those obstacles.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The clear ETFE roof will make it like a greenhouse. Just needs to be irrigated somehow. But this would limit multi-use purposes, such as concerts, conventions, etc. that need a hard surface.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The clear ETFE roof will make it like a greenhouse. Just needs to be irrigated somehow. But this would limit multi-use purposes, such as concerts, conventions, etc. that need a hard surface.
Actually there is another stadium roofed with the same material and it has grass. They've had mixed results here's an article on it. (taken from another Rams board).

http://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/opinion/224252/down-time-alone-means-stadium-turf-must-go

The period of The Turf recovery between events means that most of the time you cannot use the main stadium while you wait for the grass to recover.

If the grass recovery time for a two-hour game is one week, this means that you can not use the pitch for 166 out of 168 hours, or 99% of the time!

Also as for the greenhouse effect the stadium is not enclosed, it will be open on three sides.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Only with a prescription!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The cardinals move the grass out of their stadium between games. But I'm guessing they have alot of land next to it so the grass can soak up the sun. Not sure they can do that in LA.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

The cardinals move the grass out of their stadium between games. But I'm guessing they have alot of land next to it so the grass can soak up the sun. Not sure they can do that in LA.

This was my thought too, i'm thinking they'd rather build $$$ making ventures around the stadium, rather than devote an area to a retractable indoor/outdoor field. Sucks. They got it right in Glendale, although the exterior appearance of U of P is an eyesore when compared to the Rams new home. It looks like a shiny used sardine can.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was my thought too, i'm thinking they'd rather build $$$ making ventures around the stadium, rather than devote an area to a retractable indoor/outdoor field. Sucks. They got it right in Glendale, although the exterior appearance of U of P is an eyesore when compared to the Rams new home. It looks like a shiny used sardine can.
It would be interesting how they figure out moving the grass outside when the field is so far below ground level.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This^ is too bad!! I wish they could make it work! I love the idea of the Rams on real grass!!:(
At least they will be while they're at the L.A. Coliseum!! :)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
giphy.gif

Oh:shades:, what was this post about again????:heh::sneaky::party::nice::rockon:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:hijack:
giphy.gif

Oh:shades:, what was this post about again????:heh::sneaky::party::nice::rockon:
I had a feeling someone would post something like this^, when I said "..I'd like to see the Rams on REAL GRASS ..":rolllaugh::snicker::banana::cheers::hijack:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IIRC the stadium had to be built with a lower profile due to LAX. Was it absolutely necessary to put a roof on it? No roof = grass field.

Or a retractable roof.

Edwinrams2

UDFA
Demoff was on an LA radio show today, and said they're trying to use grass in the the new stadium, but are obviously aware there are problems with it.

There's hope anyway - I thought it was off the table.
Yeah I tweeted that question to the Beast980 and they asked him. I thought that was pretty cool! I hope we do natural grass. Reminds me of the old days when Youngblood would get his Jersey all muddy! Go LA Rams!

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
I thought the Rams play worst on grass.. I already miss St. Louis stadium putting players in IR.. Now that concrete could sure give a hit.