Grandpa McVay: “He’s made me a liar already"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://nypost.com/2017/11/04/ex-giants-fumble-coach-says-rams-perfect-fit-for-grandson-sean-mcvay/

Ex-Giants ‘Fumble’ coach says Rams ‘perfect fit’ for grandson Sean McVay
By George Willis

mcvay1.jpg

John McVay, who was the Giants coach in the late 1970s, said he believes his grandson, Sean, is in a good place as Rams coach
AP

John McVay knew his grandson, Sean, was serious about coaching when as a youngster he would fall asleep reading Bill Walsh’s book: “Building a Champion: On Football and the Making of the 49ers.” It was published in 1990.

“It’s a game plan for anybody who wants to be in this business,” the elder McVay told The Post by telephone from his home near Sacramento, Calif. “Sean would always be reading it, and then he would tell you, ‘I read this and that and the other.’ He would read a few pages at night until he fell asleep. You could tell he had a deep interest in it.”

That interest has turned into becoming the head coach of the Rams, who visit MetLife Stadium on Sunday to play the Giants. When hired in January, the then 30-year-old McVay was the youngest head coach ever in the NFL. He turned 31 a week later and has changed the culture of the Rams. They have won four their last five games and stand 5-2 on the season.

“He did make his grandfather a liar because I said it’s going to take three years to turn it around,” John McVay said. “He’s made me a liar already. Nobody’s saying we’re going to the playoffs, but he’s got them going.”

McVay, 86, will be watching on television Sunday, hoping his grandson improves to 6-2 with a victory over the 1-6 Giants, a franchise McVay coached for 2 ½ seasons in the late-1970s.

His tenure included “The Fumble” game, which the Giants lost to the Eagles on Nov. 19, 1978, at Giants Stadium. A botched handoff from quarterback Joe Pisarcik to Larry Csonka was recovered by Herman Edwards and returned for a touchdown that gave Philadelphia a 19-17 win.

McVay was fired after the season and moved on to the 49ers as an executive, helping the franchise win five Super Bowls. He said he is reminded of “The Fumble” only when someone mentions it to him.

“That’s been almost 40 years ago,” McVay said. “I had great respect for Wellington Mara and [Andy] Robustelli was the GM. They were really rambling and scrambling and trying to get on the move, which they eventually did and went on to win some Super Bowls. In the meantime I was with Eddie DeBartolo. We collected five Super Bowls and were feeling pretty good about ourselves.”

“The Fumble” is easy to forget in the midst of all those Super Bowl trophies in San Francisco.

“So much has happened in the last 35-40 years and we’ve had so much unbelievable success, it doesn’t do any good to think about the past,” McVay said. “You have a fumble or an interception or you lose your quarterback for a season, in this business you just better move on.”

He hopes Sean McVay is headed toward his own Super Bowl trophy one day. Grandpa had no doubts his grandson was ready to be a head coach despite his youth after he served under Jon Gruden at Tampa Bay in 2008 and worked his way to the Redskins, where he was the offensive coordinator under Jay Gruden.

“He’s been in football since he could walk and talk,” McVay said. “If you’re a capable coach it depends on how much control you have. Do you have control over selection of your staff? Do you have control over your roster? Things of that nature. And you have to have a willing owner, which he has there. It was a perfect fit for him.”

McVay spends most of his time these days caring for his wife Susan, who was paralyzed by a severe accident two years ago. He was feeding her when a reporter from The Post called on Friday.

“That’s an obligation we all have that I’m trying the best I can with,” he said. “We have a whole flock of grandkids, including Sean. We try to interact and stay in touch with them and have them come here. Other than that, we’ve got the Rams and we’ve got the 49ers.”

And another McVay working toward a Super Bowl.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice story, Fun read! I just want to know who the "Elder McVay" routes for when his Grand-Son goes up against the 49ers!?!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Nice story, Fun read! I just want to know who the "Elder McVay" routes for when his Grand-Son goes up against the 49ers!?!
Wonder if Sean and Jared swap Montana fan stories...:eek:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'll bet McVay roots for his grandson!

It is also remarkable to consider how we ate the 49ers' lunch with Goff and McVay. These are in my opinion two elite talents who, like Montana and Walsh, are perfectly matched. They immediately hit it off and decided they wanted to work together when McVay, with strong support from Goff (among many others), sought and was offered the Rams' job.

Each has long ties to the Bay area and the 49ers tradition. Of course, no one is more soaked in the 49ers tradition under Walsh than McVay, both through his grandfather and working with family friend Jon Gruden and his brother. Goff grew up with Joe Montana as his idol and his model as a qb, and in fact much resembles him in his approach to the game and calmness under fire. JoeCool2.

What is amazing to me is that the 49ers could certainly have made a deal to move up for local kid Goff and could also likely have made a strong run at or gotten McVay. Imagine what this combination would have done for the 49ers franchise!! But they didn't act. And instead the Rams have the opportunity to become the real exponents of the Walsh and Montana tradition.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I’ll tell you straight from the horses mouth, Dave. As I posted about a week ago, I met him and talked to him for about five minutes, and he gets it. He cheers for Sean without hesitation. When I said I don’t think the Rams have even peaked yet, grampa McVay told me, “I hope you’re right.”

You can also see it in the language of this article. He is now a Rams fan.

Wonder if Sean and Jared swap Montana fan stories...:eek:
ironic, isn’t it. And just like McVay, the Goffs want to see their son excel, therefore the Rams excel. It has to be a little weird for them, though.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'll bet McVay roots for his grandson!

It is also remarkable to consider how we ate the 49ers' lunch with Goff and McVay. These are in my opinion two elite talents who, like Montana and Walsh, are perfectly matched. They immediately hit it off and decided they wanted to work together when McVay, with strong support from Goff (among many others), sought and was offered the Rams' job.

Each has long ties to the Bay area and the 49ers tradition. Of course, no one is more soaked in the 49ers tradition under Walsh than McVay, both through his grandfather and working with family friend Jon Gruden and his brother. Goff grew up with Joe Montana as his idol and his model as a qb, and in fact much resembles him in his approach to the game and calmness under fire. JoeCool2.

What is amazing to me is that the 49ers could certainly have made a deal to move up for local kid Goff and could also likely have made a strong run at or gotten McVay. Imagine what this combination would have done for the 49ers franchise!! But they didn't act. And instead the Rams have the opportunity to become the real exponents of the Walsh and Montana tradition.

Well I believe the Rams almost hired Walsh, I believe the year they re-hired Allen, instead a year later he went to the Niners and the rest is history. I think I had heard Pat Haden tell that story and he talked about how it could have changed his career if Walsh coached him. Not that he would have been Joe Montana, but the WC offense would have been perfect for him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“He did make his grandfather a liar because I said it’s going to take three years to turn it around,” John McVay said. “He’s made me a liar already. Nobody’s saying we’re going to the playoffs, but he’s got them going.”

here's the problem with alot of people in the nfl when trying to gauge teams. they just look at what they did last season. they're very short sighted.

the rams were a 7 and 9 team under fisher. last season was an anomaly where it all fell apart due to whatever reasons. i could never understand the doom and gloom surrounding this team after the moves they made in the off season.

3 years to turn it around? this mcvay guy knew absolutely nothing about the rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3 years to turn it around? this mcvay guy knew absolutely nothing about the rams.

I must not know much about the Rams either because that's what I figured as well. :cool:
*************************************************************************************
TJgrXuFAyTVEVC17wKltrFBdvDYFEDQnEo6NTWZDqoJKuyaV4j3ty0P0-X2fjlSdmyHW3_7xcmIZHxOeSEeFYdFJU0i_ZEZE1zt5rEIhuTXsWsdUfURd8IjOgkqXkgRY4SUKAC4uEN9NXHcUW5YGgUCHa-R4TM0e4av4s7H7RWd82PwMfeU=w530-h270-p

Joe Montana? Tom Brady? Colin Kaepernick? shudder :eek:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2...-Montana/61366d74-fc83-4ff0-9bc8-7beb4fb8b1a4

Cal QB Jared Goff: I Wear 16 for Joe Montana
Andrew Pentis/Apr 9, 2014

A man tried sneaking into a Cal football practice last year until a member of the athletic program stopped him in his tracks.

“‘Can I help you?’” the official recalled asking the man. “His back was turned to me.”

And then Joe Montana turned around.

The San Francisco 49ers Hall of Famer was in Berkeley to visit a family friend on the squad, but he hasn’t yet met the Golden Bears starting quarterback.

Jared Goff would like nothing more.

With Goff and the Pac-12 school set to “host” Oregon in the first college football game to be played at Levi’s® Stadium on Oct. 24 (and tickets are still on sale), 49ers.com caught up with the sophomore signal-caller to discuss his fandom of the team, his admiration for Montana and his own NFL aspirations.

How long have you been a fan of the 49ers?
My whole life. I grew up watching them. The Jeff Garcia days are the days I remember, with Garrison Hearst, a little bit of the end of Jerry Rice’s career. And their recent success has been pretty exciting. I was heartbroken when they lost in the NFC Championship game to the Seahawks, but I’m excited for the future.

Did you go to many games at Candlestick Park over the years?
We didn’t have season tickets, but we went to some. I went to the final game at Candlestick this past year. That was a really cool experience. I hadn’t been to a game in a while – I was busy with our season – and to get to go that was awesome.

For NaVorro Bowman to get that pick at the end was pretty awesome. I just remember Jim Harbaugh running down the sideline pulling his headset off. And season-ticket holders around us were crying – it was intense.

As a fan, what do you make of the team’s switch from The ‘Stick to Levi’s®?
Candlestick has a cool historical background, but Levi’s® will bring a modern feel to the team. I found out this offseason that we’ll get to play there. It’s exciting to get to play in an NFL stadium.

Have you played in one before?
I played at the Coliseum (in Oakland) as a junior in a high school championship game. I’m assuming the sideline will be a little bigger.

So tell us why you wear No. 16 in honor of the 49ers No. 16?
When I was little, for my fourth or fifth birthday, my dad got me a Joe Montana jersey. I didn’t know who Joe was, but when I started playing football we had our number choices and 16 was available. That’s when I was 7 years old. The next year, I wore 16 again. I’ve worn it my whole life.

But you wore No. 9 for spring practices last season – why?
We had a player on the roster that was wearing 16, but he transferred a few months later. So when he transferred, I jumped on it.

Now that you’re older, do you still look up to Montana?
I’ve got some signed memorabilia from him in my room, and I see clips from back of the day. I like to watch guys that are good at the position and take stuff from their game. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, all those guys as well as Joe Montana.

What about Montana’s game do you try to incorporate into your own?
He was deadly accurate, and I try to be. Another thing was his presence on the field. I try to emulate that, too.

Have you met him?
He came to a couple practices last year, but I’ve never met him. If I could ask him anything, I’d ask him to tell me stories or offer some little tips on playing the position. It’d be more cool just to be in his vicinity.

What do you make of Colin Kaepernick’s style of play at the position?
Colin’s a really good quarterback as well, plays the game differently than I do. He’s fast, and I’m trying to work on speed. There’s footwork drills I do for that. I was actually just talking with our running backs coach about ways I can get faster. I’m not ever going to be a blazer like Kaepernick is, but I’ll be able to get better.

Speaking of improvement, where have you made the most gains since your 18-touchdown, 10-interception campaign in 2013?
I feel like I’ve improved the most since the Stanford game with my feel for the game, my feel for the college level. It’s no longer, “I’m the young guy out there, and I’m trying to catch up.” It’s like, “I’m in charge, and I’m leading the offense.” So far this spring, I can tell how much more comfortable I feel than I did last fall.

As a team, you went 1-11 last season. What’s going to help change the results in 2014?
The experience is going to be a huge factor. Everyone is returning on offense, all the key playmakers. We’re going to have some weapons at my disposal. It’s really nice to have that kind of camaraderie after going through what we went through last year.

Beyond this season and the next couple, do you hope to one day join the likes of Kaepernick in the NFL?
That’s the main goal at the end of the day. Right now, I’m thinking about winning games and getting better, but that’s definitely a long-term goal down the line.

Will Oct. 24 be a good test for you along the way?
It’s going to be more NFL-like given the atmosphere and that Oregon is a great team. We’re going to compete really well and hopefully come out with a “W.”