Grading the Rams' in-house focus in free agency /Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Grading the Rams' in-house focus in free agency
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27803/grading-the-rams-in-house-focus-in-free-agency

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The Los Angeles Rams made it quite clear before free agency began that their focus would be on keeping their own and supplementing with outside players who probably wouldn't break the bank.

As it turned out, that's exactly what's happened with a couple of deviations from the plan in the form of safety Rodney McLeod and cornerback Janoris Jenkins departing for Philadelphia and the New York Giants, respectively.

Of course, that approach hasn't won over many fans who were looking for the Rams to use some of that cap space to make a splash and improve a lagging offense. ESPN's Bill Barnwell looked at what he called the free-agent "stragglers" on Friday and offered a thought on whether that approach was working for each team that opted to use it.

Barnwell doesn't believe in the Rams' moves so far, writing that placing the franchise tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson took a big chunk out of their cap space and he referred to the $45 million contract for linebacker Mark Barron as "curious." Barnwell also wonders why the Rams didn't work to upgrade the offensive line and sums up the lack of additions there as a disappointment.

As I've written in this space a number of times, this free-agent period was always going to put the Rams in a tough spot. They wanted to keep their key free agents but most of those players play defense, which inherently meant that most of their money would be spent on the side of the ball that didn't need serious help. At the same time, it's not like there were a lot of offensive difference makers available on the free-agent market, either.

Still, it's hard not to question whether there was at least one or two complementary pieces they could have found to give the Rams some sort of incremental offensive improvement somewhere along the way.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree I'd like more done for the offense, the receiver I wanted most is still available.

And of course, the reason they haven't done more on the OL is THEY FREAKIN' DRAFTED A WHOLE BUNCH OF PLAYERS FOR IT OVER THE PREVIOUS TWO SEASONS, AND THOSE PLAYERS ARE STILL IMPROVING!!!

How the heck can you opine about what a team should do, and not actually know what they have to start with? Can I get a good paying job writing about the NFL? I guarantee I won't be more clueless than many of the columnists. Or does that disqualify me?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm glad the Rams didn't spend big on some o lineman. Though I do hope they bring Reynolds back. Other then that, there really wasn't much out there offensively that I wanted the Rams to jump at. Marvin Jones, Travis Benjamin, maybe even Reuben Randle. I didn't want an overpaid TE and I'm glad they didn't either. Randle is still available, but none of these are even huge difference makers. Sometimes you take what FA gives you. If an Alshon Jeffery was available and we stood pat, then yeah I'd be pissed. But I'm glad we took care of the defense first, because we were in danger of having a trash defense had we let them all walk.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Treadwell @ 15 please. That dude will change the entire look of our offense....

Shawnbb158

Starter

IF we don't move up for Wentz/Goff I hope we can get Treadwell at 15. His big frame and amazing hands will help our 3rd down conversions. But the thing I love about him the most is his ability and willingness to block on run plays for gurley. I think he adds at least 30 yards a game for gurley with his blocking.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I give zero fu*** what most ESPN staff writers think.

Barnwell questions our signing of Barron, but I guarantee if we didn't he'd question that.
He wonders why we didn't upgrade our O line, but if we did he'd probably say "why did we draft all those guys last year"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like the idea of having a new improved " Offense" , BUT, It's still going to start with Gurley to the right, Gurley to the left, Gurley Up-The-Middle!!:mrburnsevil: ( OK! Pass on 1st down, then follow the above formula!):D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barnwell doesn't believe in the Rams' moves so far, writing that placing the franchise tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson took a big chunk out of their cap space and he referred to the $45 million contract for linebacker Mark Barron as "curious." Barnwell also wonders why the Rams didn't work to upgrade the offensive line and sums up the lack of additions there as a disappointment.

Translation: the dude did not watch the Rams games.

If he did, he would not find the signing of Barron to be "curious" because Barron is an effin beast in this defense in the WILL role. He also would not be talking about the OL, since that was actually a bright spot for us last year and they played quite well, and moving forward look exceptionally well positioned to be a very strong unit.

I'm so tired of media sports personalities writing articles and making statements based on things other than watching the games man. It gets worse and worse each year IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Has this guy followed the Rams for more than a few months? Barron didn't start every game until Ogletree had his injury. He still amassed 116 tackles! and 4 FF. He was one of the best OLBs in the league. Why wouldn't they pay him. Barnwell must think that the Rams will continue to use him in sub packages and not realize he is the starter at OLB. Then he comments on not upgrading the Oline. That would make no sense, other than maybe at Center and that market was very limited.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPN's Bill Barnwell looked at what he called the free-agent "stragglers" on Friday and offered a thought on whether that approach was working for each team that opted to use it.