Grading Les Snead’s Job in St. Louis So Far--101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Brockers is definitely a guy to evaluate not by the stat sheet. He's just not got the stats.

Does he eat blockers? Does he get pushed around? I'll be honest... I don't know? Not many of us have the time or the tape to focus on him like the team does.

From what I see; Brockers is not Vince Wilfork when it comes to stuffing the run game. He's also not an obvious washout like Jimmy Kennedy.

So, I trust the coaches when it comes to evaluating him.

I think the best comparison for Brockers is a combination of Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. Same height and length of Stroud, same weight and strength as Henderson. Like both of them, he simply doesn't get pushed around in the run game. He's not Wilfork, but who is? He's also a very intelligent defensive tackle; how many times have we seen him sniff out screens and get his hands in the air to tip passes?

But on the evalution of this front office...I was hesitant on the Brockers pick. I was hesitant on Jenkins, Quick, Austin, Robinson, Zuerlein, Ogletree, Joyner, and Mason at first. I didn't trust their evaluation on Barron. I never thought that Bates, McLeod, Roberson, or Hekker would even make the roster. I was wrong on all of them. And the guys I had faith in like Johnson, Donald, Gaines, Bailey, McDonald, Cunningham, and Westbrooks? Those were all Snead, Fisher, and the scouts and coaches.

We may not have the results yet, and yes, they've made mistakes on the big name free agents and a few draft picks, but I've got total faith in this front office, and I believe that we are literally three offensive linemen and a healthy quarterback away from contending in the playoffs.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I really don't see many negatives. Sure every FO is going to have their misses, but he's acquired the talent. I'm not gonna knock him hard for picks like Austin because its more of the coaches jobs to help TA reach his potential.

Here's what stands out to me in his 3 years of drafting:

1. The eye for elite, playmakers on the defensive side.
  • Donald: 17 TFLs. 9 sacks.
  • Ogletree: 13 TOs in 2 years. Led Rams in tackles both years.
  • Jenkins: 7 INTs, 9 total TOs in 3 years. 6 defensive TDs.
2. Production from <4th rounders.
  • I know Givens is very popular among fans as of late, but 87 rec/1,426/16.4 avg/4 TD are solid numbers for a 4th round pick. I'd say only about half of 4th and 5th rounders even make the 53.
  • GZ in the 6th. Nuff said.
  • DRich: no longer on the Rams, but his production in his rookie year alone 98 car/475/4.8 avg is more than ample production for a 7th round pick.
  • Stacy: strong rookie year. Good production for a 5th round back.
  • Gaines: a starting CB in the 6th? Yes please.
3. Undrafted talent:
  • Hekker: How did a Pro Bowl punter go undrafted? One of the FOs best finds in its 3 years.
  • McLeod: Swiss Army knife-type player. Special teams ace. Can play nickel in a pinch. Decent FS and can hit.
  • Harkey: Great blocker. Very solid receiving production for a 3rd TE.
  • Benny: Established himself as an above average KR in 2014. Good 3rd down back. Good combo of quickness, power, and lateral ability.
  • Bates: Special teams ace. Ray Ray w/o the boneheaded flags.
  • Roberson: Not bad in limited action and not half bad when thrown into the starting role in the KC game.
  • Westbrooks: On any other NFL DL he is 4th DE or better. Able to play at LE or DT.
4. Production from picks fans/media were skeptical of:
  • Quick: Finally confirmed why the FO was so high on him before going down in 2014.
  • McDonald: I heard people saying that he was "just a big hitter." Has proven to have decent coverage skills for a SS. Great around LOS.
  • Mason: Do we need a RB? Was he overrated due to the offense that surrounded him at Auburn? Solid rookie year.
5. Additional finds:
  • Barksdale: What looked like a 3rd round bust for the Raiders, became a decent starting RT.
  • Barron: a great box safety, who has taken over the Dunbar role has looked like a good bargain so far for a 4 & 6.
At the end of the day we'll all have our own opinions, but the fact is 16 starters (if you consider Britt is a FA) on the current roster come from our last 3 draft classes:

1. RB Mason
2. FB Harkey
3. WR Quick
4. WR Bailey
5. WR Austin
6. LT Robinson
7. DT Donald
8. DT Brockers
9. OLB Ogletree
10. CB Jenkins
11. CB Gaines
12. CB Johnson
13. FS McLeod
14. SS McDonald
15. K Zuerlein
16. P Hekker

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
My opinion? The guy is one of the best in the business! Has an eye for talent and is not afraid to make a bold move up and down the board to get his guy. I think sometimes fans take for granted the talented individuals we have in our front office that do a great job. We have a cap wiz, an amazing talent evaluation team, a loyal players' coach, and an owner, who say what you will, stays out of player decisions and isn't afraid to throw around some change for a competitive product. Like others are saying, get us a viable qb option and a couple healthy, solid olinemen we may have ourselves a playoff team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brockers is definitely a guy to evaluate not by the stat sheet. He's just not got the stats.

Does he eat blockers? Does he get pushed around? I'll be honest... I don't know? Not many of us have the time or the tape to focus on him like the team does.

From what I see; Brockers is not Vince Wilfork when it comes to stuffing the run game. He's also not an obvious washout like Jimmy Kennedy.

So, I trust the coaches when it comes to evaluating him.

We all had a discussion here about 2 months ago about the Michael Brockers & Donald duo. I try to make it short as possible & if others have a different take on that discussion please fill in the blanks that I missed. I will refrain from coach speak.

As we know the 2014 season started with Kendall Langford & Michael Brockers as starters. Donald, Carrington & Westbrooks were being worked in @ times. Gregg made a change after week 5 in the starting DL lineup & the responsibilities that the starters now Donald & Brockers were to undertake. The simple way to put it was to put the interior DL in a position where Donald would utilize his talents to make plays in the backfield of the offense. Brockers responsibility was to tie up as many interior OL'ers as possible in a more NT post.

In conclusion Aaron Donald as blessed as he is owes much of his rookie season to the help, assistance & SACRIFICE of Brockers. I would imagine that in 2015 season gets underway we will see the same type play from Brockers again. I should also say that when the praise is heaped up on Donald one should NOT forget Michael Brockers who has as much to do with Donald success as Donald does. Please resign Brockers ASAP!

I should add that Brockers was the FIRST selection of Snead career as a GM & it was a doozy! Excellent start!

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I really don't see many negatives. Sure every FO is going to have their misses, but he's acquired the talent. I'm not gonna knock him hard for picks like Austin because its more of the coaches jobs to help TA reach his potential.

Here's what stands out to me in his 3 years of drafting:

1. The eye for elite, playmakers on the defensive side.
  • Donald: 17 TFLs. 9 sacks.
  • Ogletree: 13 TOs in 2 years. Led Rams in tackles both years.
  • Jenkins: 7 INTs, 9 total TOs in 3 years. 6 defensive TDs.
2. Production from <4th rounders.
  • I know Givens is very popular among fans as of late, but 87 rec/1,426/16.4 avg/4 TD are solid numbers for a 4th round pick. I'd say only about half of 4th and 5th rounders even make the 53.
  • GZ in the 6th. Nuff said.
  • DRich: no longer on the Rams, but his production in his rookie year alone 98 car/475/4.8 avg is more than ample production for a 7th round pick.
  • Stacy: strong rookie year. Good production for a 5th round back.
  • Gaines: a starting CB in the 6th? Yes please.
3. Undrafted talent:
  • Hekker: How did a Pro Bowl punter go undrafted? One of the FOs best finds in its 3 years.
  • McLeod: Swiss Army knife-type player. Special teams ace. Can play nickel in a pinch. Decent FS and can hit.
  • Harkey: Great blocker. Very solid receiving production for a 3rd TE.
  • Benny: Established himself as an above average KR in 2014. Good 3rd down back. Good combo of quickness, power, and lateral ability.
  • Bates: Special teams ace. Ray Ray w/o the boneheaded flags.
  • Roberson: Not bad in limited action and not half bad when thrown into the starting role in the KC game.
  • Westbrooks: On any other NFL DL he is 4th DE or better. Able to play at LE or DT.
4. Production from picks fans/media were skeptical of:
  • Quick: Finally confirmed why the FO was so high on him before going down in 2014.
  • McDonald: I heard people saying that he was "just a big hitter." Has proven to have decent coverage skills for a SS. Great around LOS.
  • Mason: Do we need a RB? Was he overrated due to the offense that surrounded him at Auburn? Solid rookie year.
5. Additional finds:
  • Barksdale: What looked like a 3rd round bust for the Raiders, became a decent starting RT.
  • Barron: a great box safety, who has taken over the Dunbar role has looked like a good bargain so far for a 4 & 6.
At the end of the day we'll all have our own opinions, but the fact is 16 starters (if you consider Britt is a FA) on the current roster come from our last 3 draft classes:

1. RB Mason
2. FB Harkey
3. WR Quick
4. WR Bailey
5. WR Austin
6. LT Robinson
7. DT Donald
8. DT Brockers
9. OLB Ogletree
10. CB Jenkins
11. CB Gaines
12. CB Johnson
13. FS McLeod
14. SS McDonald
15. K Zuerlein
16. P Hekker

But but....Isaiah Pead and Rokevious Watkins!!!!!!

tonyl711

Starter
Myself I would think that a WR who is selected with that very high valued first selection on the second day of the draft #33......would be expected to come in & produce for the weak Ram team much earlier than his 3rd yr on his 4 yr contract.

Its very hard for me to see that as being a example of good use of that valued draft pick. I see it as an example of closer to that of being a poor use of that valued pick.
but they knew going in that it would take him this long to develop, they knew it was I risk, but they thought future rewards would make it worthwhile, and it was starting to pay off last year (the year they expected it to pay off). also with most WRs it takes 2 or 3 years to grasp the NFL game, so is he really that far behind most others?

tonyl711

Starter
I would have to give him a B, he pulled off the RG3 trade, and has found some pretty good players at the top of the draft, has found some real gems in the later rounds, but he has missed on a few top end of draft picks and still hasn't shored up the QB situation. overall I think he is the best GM we have had since the Rams have been in St Louis. the roster is in much better shape than it was when he arrived.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
but they knew going in that it would take him this long to develop, they knew it was I risk, but they thought future rewards would make it worthwhile, and it was starting to pay off last year (the year they expected it to pay off). also with most WRs it takes 2 or 3 years to grasp the NFL game, so is he really that far behind most others?
Afternoon tonyl711, yes that was the general consensuses with Quick. Guess that's my point when you have high pick like a #33 just one pick away from being a first rounder you would that the team that was one of the worse in the NFL would try & get a prospect in here that could help this hapless team ASAP.

Rams were in need of so many different positions guess my chief complaint is there were a dozen or more excellent play ready prospects that could have started as a rookie for this Rams team. Prospects like WR Alshon Jeffery or LB'ers Bobby Wagner & Lavonte David or our biggest need is we could have had OL'ers Cordy Glenn & Mitchell Schwartz with that 33rd selection. OT Glenn maybe could have helped Sam Bradford the most.

Lets just hope that his big injury & surgery does not retard where he was early last yr & finally Sam Bradford could enjoy some use out of him in 2015.

Bottom line is Quick has yet pay the dividends you should expect & here is my biggest issue Quick is only under contract till the end of this next season...time is running out fast.

tonyl711

Starter
Afternoon tonyl711, yes that was the general consensuses with Quick. Guess that's my point when you have high pick like a #33 just one pick away from being a first rounder you would that the team that was one of the worse in the NFL would try & get a prospect in here that could help this hapless team ASAP.

Rams were in need of so many different positions guess my chief complaint is there were a dozen or more excellent play ready prospects that could have started as a rookie for this Rams team. Prospects like WR Alshon Jeffery or LB'ers Bobby Wagner & Lavonte David or our biggest need is we could have had OL'ers Cordy Glenn & Mitchell Schwartz with that 33rd selection. OT Glenn maybe could have helped Sam Bradford the most.

Lets just hope that his big injury & surgery does not retard where he was early last yr & finally Sam Bradford could enjoy some use out of him in 2015.

Bottom line is Quick has yet pay the dividends you should expect & here is my biggest issue Quick is only under contract till the end of this next season...time is running out fast.
I understand what you are saying and agree with it to a degree, however if you see a raw player that you are convinced you can turn into an elite player in about the same timeframe it takes for most players at his position take to produce in the NFL I can see how you can justify drafting him.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If I gave my opinion I'd only end up being attacked, so I'll give him an A+ and say he can do no wrong.

Then say it out loud and don't make a passive-aggressive ad-hominem attack on all of us.

Then say it out loud and don't make a passive-aggressive ad-hominem attack on all of us.

Nah, last time I said it out loud it was suggested I might want to go and attempt suicide (although it was since edited), given the choice of the two I'll go the passive aggressive route.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
In conclusion Aaron Donald as blessed as he is owes much of his rookie season to the help, assistance & SACRIFICE of Brockers.

The same can be said about Quinn. How good would he be without Brockers?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Nah, last time I said it out loud it was suggested I might want to go and attempt suicide (although it was since edited), given the choice of the two I'll go the passive aggressive route.

Okay. Thank you for making my decision easy. Putting you on ignore in three, two, one...

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lot of A+ grades for a 6-10 team picking in the top ten again... ;)

It is hard to tell how much of the errors we see on the field is his doing or Fishers/the coaching staffs doing. So difficult to point the finger of blame or vice versa e.g. It is easy to say we gave up too much for Tavon, but maybe a different coaching staff would have extracted his potential and used him to better effect. Who knows...

However, off the top of my head, there have been certain elements that could be criticised:

Jake Long and his contract
Cortland Finnegan and his contract
Scott Wells and his contract
Davin Joseph...
The Free Safety position
The Linebacker position
The O-Line group
The Brian Quick selection
The Bobby Wagner miss
The Isiah Pead selection
Falling in love with certain players and/or trading up for them, such as Tavon, Alexander and Joyner.
Lack of late round draft success. Though E.J Gaines looked solid for a rookie.

Anyways, the proof will be in the pudding and the results do not lie. If we fail to break .500 this year, someone clearly is not doing their job.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He's not perfect but he's done a great job here in my opinion. I honestly think he's one of the best in the business.