Grade Today’s Rams Transactions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not a fan of letting Jamon go. If there's outside circumstances, I understand, but I always liked the guy as a player, and if Saffold/Sullivan/Whitworth goes down, we're screwed.

That said, I do like the Fowler trade. He's a talented pass rusher, which we desperately needed.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Great size (6' 3" & 260lb) and most importantly speed (4.6/40) for the lb corp. Few qb's will be able to scramble away from this guy.

Be a steal if Fowler can quickly evolve into an every down olb.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll go with a C+. Finding an edge rusher during the season means it will either be prohibitively expensive, or a problematic player on/off the field, or both. Fowler I don't think is a cancer type player, but he's not a good dude and he's not a guy who plays up to his talent either. And whether he succeeds or not with us he's probably gone, so it's a rental most likely. Just like with Peters, he's not a guy you'd want to pay big bucks to.

At this point just gonna hope he can help our defense get some damn pressures off the edge. But just like with Obo, trying to keep my expectations within reason.

nanotech

Rookie
Ya know, I'll just let it play out. I don't have the ability to do anything else. Watch the games and enjoy, or not.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
It’s too early to grade The player but I am optimistic

Les and McVay get an A not because they nailed it on the player but rather because they knew they needed to add pressure on the edge and they did something about it. They grabbed a player with plenty of talent and they hope to bring out his best. Their bet is hedged with a comp pick in return if he’s not resigned with Rams. An A is their grade.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Grade: Incomplete

I liked the idea of two stud corners but one’s been off the field most of the season w injury and the other has given up several “explosives” as Sean calls it. So “in Wade, Sean, and Les we trust” doesn’t mean every decision works out.

Fowler is a gamble, but not addressing the need for better edge pressure would be a bigger gamble. Perhaps Bill Johnson can coach him up. He apparently excels at working stunts so pairing w Suh and Donald may elevate his game. I don’t believe Longacre is fully recovered because he’s not been as productive as he was last season.

The Brown move I outlined here:

I believe the following factors have yet to be considered here:

1) If there is a problem, trading that known problem to another team without disclosing it hurts your chances for future trades and goes against McVay’s standard of open, genuine communication.
2) Disclosing a problem hurts the player. It should come from him. Releasing him is the kindest solution.
3) The suspension was a result of not meeting a standard and something this team is built upon. He served his suspension, but others thrived in their opportunity to succeed him.
4) McVay doesn’t throw players under the bus so he won’t point out that even through Brown was physically capable, he was the weak link in recognizing responsibilities on the fly and had occasional mental lapses. Blythe, Noteboom, and Allen are all likely upgrades in this regard.
5) McVay cares about his players and this may be the best thing for Jamon. He will start somewhere and make more money this offseason as a result.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cannot factor in the Brown release, there had to be reason better to release a guy who is not about the team then have you cost him a game like Montgomery and trade or release him later, if OL Coach Aaron Kromer was okay with it, then so am I.

Fowler is the best edge rusher on the team today and for that I give it an resounding A!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am expecting Fowler to come in fired up. If he does, the timing of this acquisition could be perfect.

He may surprise us and fit right in, but I won’t be surprised if this doesn’t work out as a long term thing. If it does then it was a great move. If it doesn’t then it was a bit pricey.

Jamon Brown must not have been buying the We not Me mantra since he lost his job. Or it could simply be that he requested a trade since he felt he was a starting caliber NFL Olineman and wanted to start. The Rams were not going to sign him anyway. So maybe they just did him a favor.

Either way Kroger must be happy with the newly drafted backups, Noteboom and Allen.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Dont usually find players like Fowler in the 3rd round , he has been a disappointment in jacksonville but this guy has HUGE potential .

Surprised by the brown move, he provided good depth. I trust the team on this choice, most of us thought the O line was going to struggle with Brown out .

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta remember the Fowler trade wasn’t just for the remaining 8 games it’s for our playoff run. I give it two Games before he’s really up to form but by the time the playoffs comes he’s gonna be one of our more impactful defensive players. This is definitely an A for me

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Surprised by the brown move, he provided good depth. I trust the team on this choice, most of us thought the O line was going to struggle with Brown out .

I read some where that brown's cost almost off sets fowler's

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but he wasn't a difference maker in Jacksonville.
I read something yesterday that perhaps he wasn't coached well (meaning the JAX coaches may not be that good)? Plus... he has a MUCH better supporting cast in LA... the efforts made by the opponent to keep the other guys in check opens up more opportunity for Fowler than he ever had in JAX... he doesn't have to be "the guy".

here is more to the Brown cut than we know...
I just have this gut feeling you are dead on...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I read something yesterday that perhaps he wasn't coached well (meaning the JAX coaches may not be that good)? Plus... he has a MUCH better supporting cast in LA... the efforts made by the opponent to keep the other guys in check opens up more opportunity for Fowler than he ever had in JAX... he doesn't have to be "the guy".

I don't think coaching was the reason, Jax defense has been very good. If they had an average Offense they would be great. Their D line is one of the best so he had opportunities, he was never the guy teams game planned for. He never played well enough to be a starter on that Dline. The thing that might work in our favor is if we use him as a OLB in the 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3 end as Jax did. I think even as a designate pass rusher only he could help us a great deal. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think coaching was the reason, Jax defense has been very good. If they had an average Offense they would be great. Their D line is one of the best so he had opportunities, he was never the guy teams game planned for. He never played well enough to be a starter on that Dline. The thing that might work in our favor is if we use him as a OLB in the 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3 end as Jax did. I think even as a designate pass rusher only he could help us a great deal. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Agreed. And you know... Listening to his interview today the guy says all the right things but he's always been like that. I remember him early on admitting that he needed to work his technique, or commenting on how he made mistakes off field, etc. He has always seemed like a good kid. So who knows maybe Wade can get him on track and squeeze a little more out of all that talent he's got.

For the first game I don't expect too much, maybe something like 3 sacks of Drew Brees and a big Rams win to put a throttle hold on the #1 seed would be cool. :D

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Agreed. And you know... Listening to his interview today the guy says all the right things but he's always been like that. I remember him early on admitting that he needed to work his technique, or commenting on how he made mistakes off field, etc. He has always seemed like a good kid. So who knows maybe Wade can get him on track and squeeze a little more out of all that talent he's got.

For the first game I don't expect too much, maybe something like 3 sacks of Drew Brees and a big Rams win to put a throttle hold on the #1 seed would be cool. :D

3 sacks is a bit much to ask of a guy who arrived Wednesday

Will you settle for 1 strip sack and 2 TFL?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3 sacks is a bit much to ask of a guy who arrived Wednesday

Will you settle for 1 strip sack and 2 TFL?

Well ok I suppose I could settle for that. :D

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Might be able to keep him on a 1 year prove it deal next year. His agent is not going to want a long term deal based on what he has done thus far in his career.

One more year lining up with Donald, Brockers and maybe Suh, and he could have a breakout season. Then he can cash in in 2020.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams thus far have been dealing with ongoing injuries @ ER/OLB since this season began.....Og Okoronkwo (PUP/Foot), Matt Longacre (bicep), Morgan Fox (ACL tear), Dom Easley (knee), Matt Longacre (back again) Trevon Young (back).

Rookie Okoronkwo has been very slow to recover from that early surgery on his foot & his status remains unclear. Last week the Rams had only 2 healthy OLB'ers in Samson Ebukam & rookie 7th rd.Justin Lawler. Wade has been using the 6-4 290 lb DL'er John Franklin-Myers as a OLB'er/ER since the season began.

In addition Wade has been utilizing our best inside playmaker Cory Littleton more & more on the outside in order to get an outside pass rush. Sometime getting big runs up the middle against us.

Dante Fowler Jr. is a fully healthy ER/OLB'er that coach Wade & Barry can use NOW!. Rams now can get DF in the main rotation to help Ebukam & give Longacre's back some relief to get healthy.

Rams OL has remained in full health all season. The release of Jamon Brown does not cause any problem @ this time. Brown was to be a UFA in less than 5 months.

Last edited: