Gotta suggest it yet again...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
What are you suggesting? A trade for C.J. Anderson? Rams suck?:palm:

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I'm starting to wish we had signed CJ and let Brown go to Detroit. I like Brown but we havent been able to count on him this year. Plus hes not a bulldozer like CJ.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm starting to wish we had signed CJ and let Brown go to Detroit. I like Brown but we havent been able to count on him this year. Plus hes not a bulldozer like CJ.
We couldn't count on Brown last season either. This isn't a new thing. CJ is simply a great fit for this offense and he's durable. Yeah he doesn't catch passes. But that's not what we need right now anyway.

We need to establish identity. We need a hammer IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We couldn't count on Brown last season either. This isn't a new thing. CJ is simply a great fit for this offense and he's durable. Yeah he doesn't catch passes. But that's not what we need right now anyway.

Will McVay use him though?

Meaning as you suggest, and I agree, like a hammer?

Reddog99

Pro Bowler

I thought this year would be different for Brown but I guess not. I agree I'd like to have CJ back. We have Todd or Darrell to catch the ball. With CJ we get that TD on the 1 yard line against San Fran.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven’t been able to wrap my brain around our running attack. Most on this forum say we don’t have an Oline to do it, and yet the Bears game seems to suggest otherwise. I say use Gurley or release him. This half Gurley thing is tipping our hand to opposing DC’s. and it’s weird. Can’t establish anything..maybe Sean’s idea is to use h as a run threat, but only give him the rock 8-12 times a game. If so, that train has run its course, the rest of the league knows Todd’s pitch count too...it probably worked against the Bears because Todd ran twice as much against them. Scratching my head.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I haven’t been able to wrap my brain around our running attack. Most on this forum say we don’t have an Oline to do it, and yet the Bears game seems to suggest otherwise. I say use Gurley or release him. This half Gurley thing is tipping our hand to opposing DC’s. and it’s weird. Can’t establish anything..maybe Sean’s idea is to use h as a run threat, but only give him the rock 8-12 times a game. If so, that train has run its course, the rest of the league knows Todd’s pitch count too...it probably worked against the Bears because Todd ran twice as much against them. Scratching my head.
I think your right, we need to stop this approach we are using with Todd. I'm sorry but if using him is going to cause him to be finished sooner well to bad. Draft a power back and team him with Hendo. Unfortunately for the Rams, Goff not only needs an elite Oline but also an elite run game to succeed. We need to get back to being one of the best running teams in the NFL, unfortunately I don't see how we can do that with Gurley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will McVay use him though?

Meaning as you suggest, and I agree, like a hammer?
I think he would use him as such, yes. McVay does go away from the run but often IMO it's because he knows it ain't gonna fly in that game.

Our problems were ridiculously similar prior to bringing him in last season. And what he gave us was critical in changing defenses and how they played us leading up to the Super Bowl.

It's about changing what defenses are doing. We need to mash them and make them pay. Do that and the ridiculous front that's been giving us so many problems will be a memory.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gurley is now just a straight line runner. He's not much for cutting these days and he doesn't have the explosion that he once did. He's not the same. This team has no true feature back and the OLine is making it worse. No running game = No offense.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

And even if Gurley can only carry half the load why can't the other RB's pick up the other half right? I don't think Mcvay is getting enough blame for the running game. Gotta actually call running plays to have a running game.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Gurley is now just a straight line runner. He's not much for cutting these days and he doesn't have the explosion that he once did. He's not the same.

Maybe you’re right, maybe not. Gurley’s a freakin enigma.

Like many others, I wrote Gurley off after his dismal 2016 and his crappy 3.2 YPC average. Then he had monster years in 17 (4.7 YPC) and 18 (4.9 YPC).

In 2019, he’s averaging 4.1 YPC, almost a full yard better than his dismal 2016 average.

In 2019, Gurley has had a few dismal games and also a few where he looked like his old self. Just look at the contrast in the last 2 games!

An enigma I tell ya

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley is now just a straight line runner. He's not much for cutting these days and he doesn't have the explosion that he once did. He's not the same. This team has no true feature back and the OLine is making it worse. No running game = No offense.
Yep. He can still tear up a defense if he's getting seams that allow him to get rolling. But teams know they gotta slow him in the backfield and can do that because of our line. The consistent run threat is missing.

I love TG. He's still gonna factor in for a long time to come I hope. But he's just not the bell cow any more for us. So from there what is the plan. It can't be Brown. And as much as I like Hendy he's a shifty/speed type not a bruiser.

Doesn't have to be CJ. But I do think this team could benefit from the physical run game element. Teams roll in against us like we're a finesse team and it's true. Let's flip the script basically is what I'm hoping.