Got a few off-the-wall thoughts of my own after waiting 24 hours…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Atlanta nearly pulled of a miracle upset because of a special teams brain fart and a fumble after a catch that would have sealed the game. It was the defense that bailed them out at the end.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The defensive improvement was a product of having Miller, Donald and Floyd on the same line and not Morris' scheme, imo.

I dont watch every game in the NFL but I don't see any other team playing their corners 10 yards off on every play. This shit is so infuriating.
Yeah.. Rah was just watching.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our run stop is already leaps and bounds better than last year. Atlanta had 6 guys blocking a lot of the time so DL wasn't penetrating.
Yes and I am very happy with the front vs the run. We've been good actually for a few seasons now vs the run but statistics don't always show the entire story. This year's front looks like it's going to handle run games very well even in the playoffs.

So even though the secondary has been hit and miss they also have nice options to build up with the rooks they added plus Hill who has been solid. Which means they might end up being one of the stronger secondaries by the time the playoffs roll around. Depth at corner is a really nice luxury for this year's team and we're gonna feel it at some point as they figure out the best three corners.

Tano

Legend
Okay - I finally got to watch this game and I have a few thoughts (in Arizona and visiting my mom and brother - going to try to go to the game against Arizona)

1) Morris soft zone scheme absolutely sucks - Rams were getting some pressure on Mariota but he kept getting short quick passes away because of our 10 yard cushions we kept giving. The only reason Atlanta did anything this game was because of the soft cushions even near the goal line.

2) Ramsey had a good game.

The PI was a great acting job by the receiver. The TD was a miscommunication. Ramsey just let that guy go clearly thinking he had help. It could have been his mistake but definitely was miscommunication between him and the young guys. Otherwise Ramsey was very good this game except for those two plays

3) Dixon does punt slow but that block was all on Jake Hummell. Rookie let his guy go without even attempting to block him. The Atlanta player had a free lane to Dixon.

4. Stafford's interceptions are concerning but I was okay with both of them. One he underthrew Higbee and the second he was trying to get the ball to a wide open Kupp and never saw the ILB in front of him. Shit happens.

5. Where the frick is Tutu. He was only in the game twice. As someone said, why did he not play the preseason if he isn't going to play in the regular season either.

6. Did I tell you just how much I hate the soft coverage by our defense the entire game. It was ridiculous just how much space we gave their receivers.

7. Our blocking was excellent this game.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
To add to this, get that Durant kid in the game more. A playmaker on defense is JUST what we need.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Okay - I finally got to watch this game and I have a few thoughts (in Arizona and visiting my mom and brother - going to try to go to the game against Arizona)

WHAT THE HELL? Your Mom and brother kept you for seeing the game and posting about it here?

:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just a stream of consciousness thing…

What’s wrong with Akers?

Stats show Rams' rushing attack has been among NFL's worst this season

Cameron DaSilva/September 20, 2022
1663711853616.png

It was encouraging to see the Los Angeles Rams bounce back in Week 2 by beating the Atlanta Falcons. Their margin of victory should’ve been much larger than the four points they won by, but they managed to hold on and improve their record to 1-1.

The ground game improved along with it, with Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr. gaining 91 yards rushing with one touchdown. But after a terrible season-opener against the Bills, the Rams’ rushing attack is still one of the worst in the league through two weeks.

Based on this chart showing teams’ average yards before and after contact, the Rams rank lower than any other team in yards before contact. They’re also in the bottom 10 in yards after contact, meaning their running backs aren’t breaking many tackles.

View: https://twitter.com/wayne_sports_/status/1571947215471640576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1571947215471640576%7Ctwgr%5E0e7f69d2d7e700b3b44da9ca72ee534c38c94d1a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F09%2F20%2Frams-running-backs-stats-nfl-rankings-yards%2F

It is worth noting that their intentional safety went down as a loss of 26 yards by Brandon Powell, so that could be why the Rams are the only team averaging zero yards before contact. However, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Looking at Next Gen Stats, Akers has minus-14 rushing yards over expectation, which is 14th-worst in the NFL. Henderson is slightly better with 3 yards over expectation, which puts him right in the middle of the pack.

It’s not like they’re facing loaded boxes, either. Akers has faced a box of eight-plus defenders only 11.1% of the time, 13th-fewest among all running backs. Henderson hasn’t faced a single one, according to Next Gen Stats.

Based on Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, the Rams are 16th in the NFL rushing-wise, which puts them squarely in the middle of the pack. Things could be worse and a decent performance in Week 2 helped the Rams’ rushing attack, but Akers and Henderson sure can be better.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
According to PFF Akers was good in pass Pro but terrible running the ball and Henderson was good running the ball but terrible in pass pro.
Got to play better or beating the Cards will be tough and beating the 9ers will be impossible!

Stump23

Rookie
If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle so.......we were 1 TD (driving towards it) to be up over 30. I told everyone I knew last week that we'd win by 30 this week after the Buffalo debacle. 2 fluke plays and some shitty luck made the game a lot closer than it was. I agree with the previous poster, this was our 2nd preseason game----starters will gel and we will get things fixed. Get off the injury train and let's see what happens with this schedule.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's what a physical camp and drafting good talent up front can do for you.

Not a shot at McVay either believe it or not. He is the reigning champ and might have our OL looking just fine by the midway point. But for now I do look at that Lions front with some jealousy, not gonna lie.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Just stop with the picks and soft zone. But I know both just come with the territory so it's wishful thinking.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
That's what a physical camp and drafting good talent up front can do for you.

Not a shot at McVay either believe it or not. He is the reigning champ and might have our OL looking just fine by the midway point. But for now I do look at that Lions front with some jealousy, not gonna lie.
Goff looks like vintage good Goff behind that line and really young still.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We are paying the price of starters getting no game reps in preseason. That's just the reality of a team coached by Sean McVay. You have to be patient during a war. Sometimes you lose a few battles along the way but the focus is being bad asses closer to the holidays. I wouldn't doubt McVay expects to lose 4 or 5 games a season as long as he wins the right ones.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wagner isn't the best ILB in the NFL anymore, but he looks good to me. Donald looks like Donald. He is 31 years old, though. So it's possible he loses a slight step this year, but I'm not seeing anything concerning. As for Ramsey, he needs to cure the mental errors. He's still an absolute monster talent. Needs to focus on executing rather than going for the big play. Too much risk/reward style play from him.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Stats show Rams' rushing attack has been among NFL's worst this season

Cameron DaSilva/September 20, 2022
View attachment 56539

It was encouraging to see the Los Angeles Rams bounce back in Week 2 by beating the Atlanta Falcons. Their margin of victory should’ve been much larger than the four points they won by, but they managed to hold on and improve their record to 1-1.

The ground game improved along with it, with Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr. gaining 91 yards rushing with one touchdown. But after a terrible season-opener against the Bills, the Rams’ rushing attack is still one of the worst in the league through two weeks.

Based on this chart showing teams’ average yards before and after contact, the Rams rank lower than any other team in yards before contact. They’re also in the bottom 10 in yards after contact, meaning their running backs aren’t breaking many tackles.

View: https://twitter.com/wayne_sports_/status/1571947215471640576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1571947215471640576%7Ctwgr%5E0e7f69d2d7e700b3b44da9ca72ee534c38c94d1a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F09%2F20%2Frams-running-backs-stats-nfl-rankings-yards%2F

It is worth noting that their intentional safety went down as a loss of 26 yards by Brandon Powell, so that could be why the Rams are the only team averaging zero yards before contact. However, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Looking at Next Gen Stats, Akers has minus-14 rushing yards over expectation, which is 14th-worst in the NFL. Henderson is slightly better with 3 yards over expectation, which puts him right in the middle of the pack.

It’s not like they’re facing loaded boxes, either. Akers has faced a box of eight-plus defenders only 11.1% of the time, 13th-fewest among all running backs. Henderson hasn’t faced a single one, according to Next Gen Stats.

Based on Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, the Rams are 16th in the NFL rushing-wise, which puts them squarely in the middle of the pack. Things could be worse and a decent performance in Week 2 helped the Rams’ rushing attack, but Akers and Henderson sure can be better.

Thats the worst part to me I dont think enough people realize. When we face light boxes, 6 man looks where the defenses are expecting and playing to stop the pass, we STILL cant run the ball. That is a big big big fucking problem. People keep talking about wanting to run out the clock late to ice games...well in those scenarios the defenses are expecting run and loading the box. Sure it would be great to be able to run in those situations, of course, but its tough. How about at least though we can run versus light boxes!!! I mean dead last #32 in yards before contact is horrendous. I'm sure a bit of blame can be put on Akers and Hendo, but man the OL has gotten no movement at all in the run game.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I'm just happy we managed to hang on and get the win.
Sometimes it isn't pretty, but it isn't exclusive to us.
Huge swings of momentum happen in some games that just can't be explained.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
just my two cents, but does it seem like McVay has been ok with running the ball for practically no gain on most first downs instead of play action and maybe a few sweeps?

I know McVay will make adjustments but my casual observation.