Got a few off-the-wall thoughts of my own after waiting 24 hours…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
just my two cents, but does it seem like McVay has been ok with running the ball for practically no gain on most first downs instead of play action and maybe a few sweeps?

I know McVay will make adjustments but my casual observation.
He does that because it makes them play the run. It's like throwing a down away I agree and it's irritating, but it has its advantages. He did the same in the Super Bowl to keep that front from pinning their ears back. Also if you look at the yardage vs Atlanta it was decent, on the shitty side but good enough to balance it up.

The annoyance with Atlanta is the Saints were logging a few more yards per carry at least. Not a good sign. Our OL needs to do better too but they're gonna need some continuity for that to happen.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Our OL needs to do better too but they're gonna need some continuity for that to happen.
Is our failure to get push in the run game solely talent related? Is it not developing our young OL well enough in the run game? Is it scheme? I mean honestly we haven't ran the ball well since 2017/2018. Its no coincidence we also had the best RB on earth those two years.

I just honestly wonder if its fixable. We dont prioritize OL talent that excell at run blocking. We dont have great OL talent overall. I think more or less we will stay pretty stagnant until we decide to sign an elite OL talent in FA or hit a home run with a 2nd round pick. There's a legit chance Akers never returns to his pre achilles tear self. His numbers have not been good since his return. So we dont have an elite RB to offset below average run blocking. I think it comes down to McVay getting creative to scheme yards but ultimately this year will fall on Staffords shoulders and the passing game to carry us again.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Is our failure to get push in the run game solely talent related? Is it not developing our young OL well enough in the run game? Is it scheme? I mean honestly we haven't ran the ball well since 2017/2018. Its no coincidence we also had the best RB on earth those two years.

I just honestly wonder if its fixable. We dont prioritize OL talent that excell at run blocking. We dont have great OL talent overall. I think more or less we will stay pretty stagnant until we decide to sign an elite OL talent in FA or hit a home run with a 2nd round pick. There's a legit chance Akers never returns to his pre achilles tear self. His numbers have not been good since his return. So we dont have an elite RB to offset below average run blocking. I think it comes down to McVay getting creative to scheme yards but ultimately this year will fall on Staffords shoulders and the passing game to carry us again.
We had Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, and Havenstein both those years though, didn't we? Gurley was the best at the time, independently, but the line was no joke either. We lost both the A+ line and the A+ RB in the same year. Wouldn't you know it, the run game hasn't been special since.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We had Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, and Havenstein both those years though, didn't we? Gurley was the best at the time, independently, but the line was no joke either. We lost both the A+ line and the A+ RB in the same year. Wouldn't you know it, the run game hasn't been special since.
Yea I forgot we had Saffold too who was a dominant run blocker. Plus a 4 years younger Whitworth and younger Hav. Also those years in the beginning McVay's scheme took the league by storm and people didnt know how to defend it. Our offense finished as #1 in 2017 and #2 in 2018. Gurley was obviously the main engine of that but the scheme was doing a lot. The last third of the 2018 season we started seeing the 6-1 fronts with quarters behind which gave us fits down the stretch and in the SB. But up until then our offense seemed pretty unstoppable for two years. Yea since then the OL and run game has been pretty shitty.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is a real good read from Jun on some of this stuff and goes pretty deep: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/...y-kyle-shanahan-scheme-wars-offense-evolution

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This one is similarly good, from Jan: https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playo...kyle-shanahan-sean-mcvay-five-years-evolution

Also the article above brings up some interesting thoughts when it comes to the Shanahan vs McVay run game. Namely that while Shanny's FB usage has been harder to shut down in the run game, McVay's usage of the wideout has transitioned to Skow (from Woody) and behind Skow is McClutch who also seems like a good fit on the move making blocks. He's so damn physical that he might be that super flexible weapon McVay has been seeking, he's just going to have to wait his turn a bit as Skow gets his window to show what he can do.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
With Hopkins out, they might move Carter up off the PS. He was a FB in college. Why are they farting around with Benny Sko when they have an experienced FB in Carter? C'mom Man! A power run blocking scheme with a true FB is very hard to stop as the Rams keep finding out. With Kupp, Robinson, and Higbee the pass option is always there with Henderson in the flats. The front 7 must honor the play action. Light box it's a run. Stacked box it's a pass. The RPO has always been a part of the NFL only it's been played differently. We have a QB very good at reading the defense. In that type of offense, the FB is usually dropped in coverage after the fake. It's an easy 5 yards. Carter isn't fast but he's got hands.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Merlin,

Fantastic stuff (Ringer), thanks for posting.
My main takeaway is that Shanahan has adjusted more quickly than McVay, with data to back it up.
Secondly, the 49er run game is far superior (Garappolo isn't but he's good enough for that O) .
With the Rams in injury trouble already, the 49ers may well take the west this year. TBD.

BC

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Merlin,

My main takeaway is that Shanahan has adjusted more quickly than McVay, with data to back it up.
Secondly, the 49er run game is far superior (Garappolo isn't but he's good enough for that O) .
With the Rams in injury trouble already, the 49ers may well take the west this year. TBD.

BC

I'm really hoping that Bobby Wagner will be a key piece in slamming the door on that whiner running attack. The whiner dink and dunk attack doesn't work well if you stop them from running effectively.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Merlin,

BC
I agree. It is why Shanny is regarded as probably the best offensive mind in the game. McVay is the better head coach though and has by far the better owner.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
What’s wrong with Akers?

Coming off a serious injury. Might not be the same.

WTH is up with AD? Just not the same ‘want to’ this year.

He is at the age when most D-lineman begin to decline.

Anybody else expected more from Wagner? He’s been ‘okay’, I guess, but I expected more of an impact from him. So far Jones seems to be outplaying him.

He has lost a step.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is at the age when most D-lineman begin to decline.
Yep. And it was a big risk paying a big contract to a guy that had one foot in retirement this past offseason. The old saying is once you start talking about retirement you're there. So that might end up being a problem for the Rams.

Only reason I'm not too worried is because AD is a pro and won't want a stain on his legacy of him cruising at the end of his time. But he may just retire early anyway. Hope not but that's the risk in what they did.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
As far as Akers we may have overestimated his potential, I too am surprised at his lack of production and hope his challenges get sorted.
I also wonder if it is at least partially mental.

If you go back to 2020 when we all felt he was going to be our future stud back and you look deeper into his performance as a rusher you will see 4 standout games and all 2nd half to the final 3rd of the season leaving us optimistic as the season came to an end

Mia 9 for 84
NE 29 for 171 The game that got all of our attention as well as the league's attention
Sea 28 for 131
GB 18 for 90

woven in and around those games were 15 for 63, 21 for 34, 21 for 72

I looked this up because I remembered the NE & Sea games but wasn't clear about his performance and consistency during
that "breakout" rookie season.

I think Cam has shown at times that he can be a serviceable #1 and certainly hope he approaches that 6 or 7-game stretch of 2020
Only time will tell