Gordon: Rams must reassess their WR development

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jeff Gordon
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_a8898ab2-99d0-53e2-9b59-badf2de39e10.html

5358179329c76.preview-620.jpg

The most important pre-draft scouting Rams do this spring might occur right there in their own practice facility.

Do the coaches believe their enigmatic assortment of receivers and tight ends can blossom into impact performers? Or must the Rams use that second overall draft pick on Sammy Watkins?

It turns out that Chris Givens is still on the team. Fans may have forgotten that after his mysterious 2013 disappearance, but P-D reporter Jim Thomas dug deep and discovered he is still around. Not only that, Givens seems eager to finally achieve his NFL breakout.

Imagine what a legitimate speed receiver on the outside could do for this defense. Last season Givens became a ghost in the offense, due to injuries and his own regression.

Sam Bradford and Kellen Clemens targeted him 83 times last season and got just 34 receptions, eight fewer than the season before in one more game played. As Givens lamented to Thomas and other reporters, he somehow avoided catching a TD pass in 2013.

Earlier Jeff Fisher and Les Snead added underachiever Kenny Britt to the project mix this spring, adding another big target with speed compete with Brian Quick on the outside as well as tight ends Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks.

Then there is explosive slot receiver Tavon Austin, who only flashed his real potential last season, and steady Stedman Bailey filling the possession receiver role. Even Austin Pettis has shown some real upside since his dismal rookie showing

From group surely the Rams can find some real threats, right?

Watkins offers dimensions the Rams currently lack at receiver. He is a bulldozer capable of working the middle of the field, like a young Anquan Boldin.

Should the Rams fail to move their second overall pick, he could offer more instant impact from the draft position than a young offensive tackle.

But . . .

The Rams possess so much untapped potential at the receiver position. At what point is it up to the coaches to MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that potential is actually met?

The success (or failure) of this team will come down to the ability (or inability) to coach up all of these still-developing players. We made that point last summer from this corner of cyberspace and the Rams fell short with their 7-9 finish.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer took much of the blame as experts lambasted his vanilla passing scheme.

But how much of this failure was the Xs and Os and how much of it was the vexing inability of these young players to progress mentally and physically?

Can they learn better technique and concentration? Can they finally master the offense? Can they find the inner drive to reach new levels of production?

Pro Football Focus offered this take on the Rams receiving issue:

St. Louis hasn’t had a receiver gain over 800 yards since Torry Holt had 1,189 back in 2007. Bradford has never had a receiver gain 700 yards in a season since he took over as quarterback in 2010. They are in desperate need of a consistent, go-to type receiver that will move the chains when called upon. No one on the roster has fit that bill to date.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah had this take:

Rams general manager Les Snead made a bold move to trade up for Tavon Austin in the 2013 NFL Draft, and I don't think the wideout's up-and-down rookie campaign is indicative of his NFL future. The Rams have a number of other young receivers on their roster, but I can make the case that not one of them is a true No. 1. Selecting Sammy Watkins with the second overall pick could solve that problem. Yes, receiver is one of the deepest positions in this year's draft, but the former Clemson star is in a class of his own. If the Rams pass on Watkins at No. 2, they could add a big body like Texas A&M's Mike Evans, who would give Bradford an ideal red-zone option.

By now many Rams fans must believe that developing a wide receiver is one of the difficult tasks imaginable, like assembling a rocket ship with construction debris.

Between now and the draft, the Rams football staff must decide whether feat can be accomplished this summer

Is it humanly possible teach the speedy Givens to catch a deep pass in stride and the towering Quick to beat press coverage with his size and reach?

If not, then the Rams should take the easy way out and draft Watkins to cover their coaching failure

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Time to draw the line in the sand. We must evaluate our offensive line before we do anything else. Robinson at LG gives us a premier offensive line, and something that Stacy can reach 1500 yards behind. I'd take 1500 yards from Stacy over a rookie receiver who may, or may not break 500 yards receiving in a rookie year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It might sound dumb, but do we need a #1 receiver? Clearly they're going to hand the ball off 300+ times, and get the ball to Austin on some different design plays. I think we have plenty of guys that fill a certain niche in this offense so we might not see a guy go over 800 yards receiving. But if they manage to spread the ball around effectively while being adept in the running game, isn't that a win regardless of individual statistics?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
It might sound dumb, but do we need a #1 receiver? Clearly they're going to hand the ball off 300+ times, and get the ball to Austin on some different design plays. I think we have plenty of guys that fill a certain niche in this offense so we might not see a guy go over 800 yards receiving. But if they manage to spread the ball around effectively while being adept in the running game, isn't that a win regardless of individual statistics?
I think it is. It also reduces the possibility of overpaying for a "#1 WR" a few years down the road. If we spread the ball around and we have 4 guys with 600 - 800 yards apiece we can still be successful without having to pay $10M a year for a #1.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not that I'm a huge fan of Sherman, but I don't believe there's any WR coach alive or dead that could coach-up any of our current WRs and turn them into a true #1 type.

Austin is going to be a nice weapon in the slot, but he will be way more effective if he had a serious threat to a defense working outside the numbers.

I wouldn't lay the blame on Sherman and the staff. We did have Holt and Bruce working with these cats last preseason as well,,, are they lacking in knowledge? Hell No.

Watkins has been my number 1 wish all along. He'll make the most impact of any of the other top 5 picks right away... and down the road he'll become even more of a monster.

Les referring to him as a young Bolden with better talent/skills says it all. Me Want !!!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Time to draw the line in the sand. We must evaluate our offensive line before we do anything else. Robinson at LG gives us a premier offensive line, and something that Stacy can reach 1500 yards behind. I'd take 1500 yards from Stacy over a rookie receiver who may, or may not break 500 yards receiving in a rookie year.

Agree with you both. I'd rather have a premier O-Line than having a WR who might take time to develop a few years down the line. We are a running team first and foremost. Thinking a premier WR prospect is a luxury until we get our O-Line set. Plus Sam showed he can and will run this offense with a running game and adequete protection.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Agree with you both. I'd rather have a premier O-Line than having a WR who might take time to develop a few years down the line. We are a running team first and foremost. Thinking a premier WR prospect is a luxury until we get our O-Line set. Plus Sam showed he can and will run this offense with a running game and adequete protection.

Yes.

Our offense really hurts when we get the run game going then hit Cook down the Seam. Quick is starting to become valuable with his run blocking, and just needs to contribute in the passing game. Givens will have a better year, as it can't get any worse than last year. Bailey is going to be a gritty dude. I love the way he plays, he's a fighter for sure, and takes pride in all his opportunities.

iced

There's a gigantic difference between drafting a "No.1" receiver and a "starting caliber receiver" - which we don't have either of, imo, outside tavon.

People can argue all they want about the No.1 Receiver and compare us to the Saints - but the fact of the matter is the talent level of the saints at WR is much higher than what we have. no matter what round they were selected or if their WR coach is great (or ours sucks,whatever the cause).

We have had one of the worst corps for the past 6 years - and it's been a big reason why our offense has been so anemic. Until the position is addressed or improved, I don't expect us to make a whole lot of noise against the defenses in this division, especially Arizona and Seattle. Sherman/Maxwell, Patrick Peterson/Cromartie vs our starting receivers?

The Offensive production against them speak for themselves. What was it - 4 Td's in the past 6 games against Niners and Seahawks?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yes.

Our offense really hurts when we get the run game going then hit Cook down the Seam. Quick is starting to become valuable with his run blocking, and just needs to contribute in the passing game. Givens will have a better year, as it can't get any worse than last year. Bailey is going to be a gritty dude. I love the way he plays, he's a fighter for sure, and takes pride in all his opportunities.
Yes hopefully they all come around this year. They have the potential to still.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Help mister Wizard take me to the draft!!!!!

And get a proof reader for Jeff Gordon

V3

Hall of Fame

Our pass blocking wasn't an issue last season. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad, either. There are MANY teams with worse O-lines that have QB's and WR's still performing better than the Rams. I think there's plenty of blame to go around on this but I still have major doubts about our WR coach and OC.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Our pass blocking wasn't an issue last season. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad, either. There are MANY teams with worse O-lines that have QB's and WR's still performing better than the Rams. I think there's plenty of blame to go around on this but I still have major doubts about our WR coach and OC.

I agree. Our development of WRs is abysmal at best. I'm not saying Ray Sherman sucks, but there's something going wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

If you consider the Rams had to run three TEs for most of he year when other teams often use only one suggests that the line required a lot of help last year. Using two and three TEs on every play limits the offense when two of the TEs are primarily blockers.

I think the line is worse off than we know.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I agree. Our development of WRs is abysmal at best. I'm not saying Ray Sherman sucks, but there's something going wrong.

In 2013 Chris Givens was the Rams highest rank wide receiver Givens was the 79th highest ranked in the NFL. An argument can be made that the Rams don't have a #2 receiver, much less a true #1 wide receiver.

Ray Sherman is old enough to be the Ram's wide receiver's Grand Father. Perhaps there is a coaching generation gap? I am disappointed with Ram receiver development.

FRO

Legend
Bradford hasn't had a receiver have more than 700 yards, yet we need to get rid of him in the eyes of some.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I will say this; draft Watkins and we can finally put the WR debate to bed.

I worry more, however, about the oline depth.

The article is pretty accurate about this; whatever the Rams do... Getting the WR evaluation right is a big friggin deal...

Sit tight better be right!

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
If you consider the Rams had to run three TEs for most of he year when other teams often use only one suggests that the line required a lot of help last year. Using two and three TEs on every play limits the offense when two of the TEs are primarily blockers.

I think the line is worse off than we know.

I'd have to go back and watch old games but I thought that was after we started getting hit with injuries on the line? When everyone was healthy and playing, it was solid with the exception of a player or two every now and then. And I know it's not perfect but I think PFF put our pass blocking in the middle.

My point is, while having a great O-line would be nice, there are many teams that get along just fine with much worse. Go ahead and try and fix the line but I don't think the offense will get much better once it's settled. I think there are other issues at play here. That's all I was trying to point out.

V3

Hall of Fame
Bradford hasn't had a receiver have more than 700 yards, yet we need to get rid of him in the eyes of some.

That's the hard part here. They can spin it around and say they aren't getting the yards because he's not good enough. One could go further and say it's the coaching. There are a lot of things at play here. I think some players are at fault but I don't think the blame should stop there. There's something not right when players with so much talent can't perform at even a mediocre level. That, to me, says the coaching isn't right. Many like to point out that this is Bradford's make-or-break year. I think it's Schotty's and Sherman's as well.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I will say this; draft Watkins and we can finally put the WR debate to bed.

I worry more, however, about the oline depth.

The article is pretty accurate about this; whatever the Rams do... Getting the WR evaluation right is a big friggin deal...

Sit tight better be right!

Take Watkins and trade up from 13 and get the last top tackle? Wonder what it would cost us? We need O-Linemen now, but seeing Watkins blow by or run over Sherman would be sweeeet.