Gordon: Offense comes through for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Offense comes through for Rams
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_7d554ed9-fc9b-5050-a61f-dce782a5aa18.html

GLENDALE, Ariz. • The Rams’ defense has been making its black-and-blue mark for a couple of years now. It has earned NFL-wide respect by unleashing big hitters on recoiling opponents.

But the Rams’ offense lagged behind this season, often woefully so. The young linemen suffered predictable growing pains and rookie running back Todd Gurley had to clear his final rehab hurdles.

The offense officially caught up by delivering a 24-22 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

“The biggest thing for me is that we had to bail out the defense,” said guard Rodger Saffold, the elder statesman on an otherwise inexperienced line. “We never do that. They always have to come in and (secure) everything for us.”

The line created seams in the second half after generating just 9 yards rushing on nine first-half carries. Gurley broke big run after big run while finally looking recovered from knee surgery.

The offense sustained two touchdown drives and one final time-consuming possession at the end. Gurley could have tacked on a late TD, but he wisely pulled up so his team could kill the remaining clock instead.

We’re guessing Isaiah Pead would have just kept running. Or he would have fumbled the ball away. But we’ll just let those bad memories go.

Why pick at old sores after such an important victory?

The Rams got a fresh start on their season. They are 2-2 overall and 2-0 in the NFC West. By earning victories over the two division powers, Arizona and Seattle, they reentered the playoff race.

“We are not where we wanted to be, but we are certainly happy to get the win,” defensive end Chris Long said. “We’ve had some ups and downs these last two weeks. It has been a long couple of weeks.”

The Rams set aside their implosion at Washington and their frustrating 12-6 home-field loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Their offense morphed from liability into asset.

This newfound Rams balance is critical because this victory came at great cost. Outside linebacker Alec Ogletree suffered an ugly ankle injury that will require surgical repairs.

“It’s unfortunate because I don’t know if you can find a linebacker that’s playing better than he was during the first four weeks of the year,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said.

Ogletree caused havoc all over the field again Sunday. He blew through the line to dump ball carriers for losses. He chased down receivers. He went from side to side. He went up and back. He was everywhere, keeping the explosive Cardinals in check.

The defense can’t possibly be as good without him. But perhaps the Rams won’t lean on that unit quite so hard now they can actually run the football and set up their play-action passing game.

“We got contribution from all three phases today,” Fisher said. “That’s what has been hindering us the last couple of weeks. We finally had a second half of offense and that was the difference in the ballgame.”

That 2-2 record looks a whole lot better than 1-3 going into next week’s tough assignment at Green Bay. After that game, the Rams will take their bye week break before starting an easier stretch of schedule against the Cleveland Browns at home.

Suddenly all things look possible again. With Gurley living up to the hype Sunday and Tavon Austin producing like an eighth overall draft pick, this team looks much more dangerous.

Gurley was the whole package Sunday, reading his blocks, powering for tough yardage, bursting through seams and outrunning defenders in the open field. This was quite a sight.

Imagine a bigger Zac Stacy wearing a jet pack and roller blades, only with the ability to change directions on a dime.

Austin was also a revelation. Not only did he get open for downfield passes — a rare sight under former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer — but he ran tight little routes to catch two TD passes.

Oh, and quarterback Nick Foles was outstanding too. He took care of the ball, avoiding self-destructive turnovers that have doomed so many Rams teams. He made accurate throws under intense pressure.

When he did miss on his passes, he missed harmlessly. He also made some nice throws that weren’t caught, such as one he placed over the top of Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu ... and right through the hands of tight end Jared Cook in the end zone.

So there are some things to work on. Rookie offensive linemen Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein are still early in their development, as is second-year left tackle Greg Robinson.

Gurley has only hinted at his full potential. The same goes for Austin and his running mate Stedman Bailey. Fellow wide receiver Brian Quick finally got back on the field Sunday after recovering from the severe shoulder injury he suffered last season.

“We still have a lot of room to improve,” Foles said afterward. “I know the guys are hungry to improve. We just have to stay hungry, keep working and pay attention to detail. We are a young team so we have to put that extra time in every single day to get better and take the next step forward.”

We’ve heard such words before in the Rams ;locker room, but suddenly they ring true. At long last the Rams are relevant again.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Feel free to delete this comment, mods.

Go fuck yourself, Gordon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I gotta say I really like this Nick Foles character. 4 games into the season and after playing two top defenses in Seattle and Arizona the guy has only 1 INT and is doing exactly what the Rams wanted him to do in protecting the ball and throwing off of play action. He's got a respectable 96.5 QB Rating as well despite the team's struggles in the running game over those first four.

He's not perfect and struggled vs Washington and Pittsburgh. But right now I can't help but think he might be in for a very good run the rest of the way for the following reasons:

1. Continued evolution of this OL. These guys were quite good today when you consider how good that Arizona front is. Calais had his moments spearing through and granted the run and pass game have suffered from penetration, but they win their share of matchups too and are doing some really good things.

2. Emergence of Gurley. Sure is nice to see him immediately stand out and that will help everything else.

3. Stacking of the receiving weapons. Much like we saw with Williams last season Cigs might need a little time to get sorted who the best weapons are. Some of that sorting might take a bit more of certain players self-destructing, but either way it does seem like this is finally on the right track. Crossin my fingers here.

4. Cigs development. I think the guy is off to a pretty good start overall in terms of scheme for each game and ability to adjust in-game. Solid calls too for the most part, even if he does get a little too fancy sometimes with the misdirections.

This offense is starting to look like a unit that is finally on the upswing. Worried that I'm deluding myself here, but it really does look that way. Hopefully the next month or so demonstrates that is the case while they lead this team to an excellent first half record.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I woke up at 7am, "found" a spot where Rams had the ball with 3 minutes or so to go ....and was anxious. On the road, against
a great run stopping defense. I didn't know anything about what Gurley had done.

Gurley looked like he was playing around with the Cardinals....man, he looked like a man amongst boys.

I am rewatching 10 games from the 1983 Rams whole season the last month....and they had Dickerson. Without Dickerson that 1983 playoff team would have been 7-9 at best. They lost 2 games because of blocked kicks...and easily could have been 11-5. They beat the 12-4 Cowboys in the playoffs.

Mason will be great, too. Usually the 2nd runner confuses the defense and in tough games, sometimes the 2nd runner off the bench will do better. Mason is a great '2nd' running back.

Gurley still looks slower than in college; am I missing something?

As always: I offer all of my 250+ Ram games to people for free....if you want any old time games, just send me a message with your email...and I will send them.....I have a few others I have sent games to, so no big deal.....I will be sending some 1999 season games out soon through 'wetransfer' and I can 'add' you to the list.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams got a fresh start on their season. They are 2-2 overall and 2-0 in the NFC West. By earning victories over the two division powers, Arizona and Seattle, they reentered the playoff race.
Bada Boom!
Oh, and quarterback Nick Foles was outstanding too. He took care of the ball, avoiding self-destructive turnovers that have doomed so many Rams teams. He made accurate throws under intense pressure.
Bada Bing!
Feel free to delete this comment, mods.

Go freak yourself, Gordon.
and a Zing Zing Zing!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
A positive article after a positive game. It's amazing how that works.