Gordon: Mistakes define the Rams under Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Mistakes define the Rams under Fisher
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_6ae00086-d60d-5bc7-a5f6-5a21ab7a86a6.html

After three years under the Jeff Fisher regime, the Rams have established a clear identity.

They are a sloppy, unruly team that keeps offsetting big plays with inexplicable blunders. They are physically tough, but their aggression creates as many costly penalties as game-changing defensive plays.

They can hurt opponents with their big hits ... but then they hurt themselves with their big misses.

Their actions don’t always speak as loudly as their words — and those words just keep flying out of their mouths regardless of how bad the score gets.

Yes, the Rams have upgraded their talent base. This latest draft class was especially strong. They looked better than some playoff-bound teams for much of the season’s second half.

Yes, the Rams have made progress since the disastrous Steve Spagnuolo Era (10-38). Yes, they have distanced themselves from the gruesome Scott Linehan-Jim Haslett collapse (5-27) that preceded the Spags-to-ditches period.

But after 47 games under Fisher the Rams can still crumble against a mediocre foe. After 47 games, a fiasco like Sunday’s 37-27 loss to the Giants still occurs.

You don’t need to be Jared Cook to see that the Rams got outplayed and outcoached again.

So after finishing 7-8-1 and 7-9 in their first two years under Fisher, the Rams will have to upset the Seahawks at Seattle next Sunday just to finish 7-9 again.

“It was just self-inflicted wounds,” middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “It feels like it did at the beginning of the season when the things that they got were because of things that we screwed up.”

How bad was the Rams’ secondary in this game? New York Giants running back Andre Williams captured its performance with this comment to reporters afterward:

“Sometimes the defensive backs look like they are there, but they’re not really there.”

Bingo!

The fun started early, with Benny Cunningham spitting up the ball on his first kickoff return. The highjinks continued right to the end, with battle-worn center Scott Wells launching still another errant shotgun snap away from beleaguered quarterback Shaun Hill.

In between there were a litany of errors that define the Fisher-era Rams:

• A sailing Hill pass caroming off the hands of Tavon Austin for an interception.

• Another errant Wells snap disrupting at goal-line pass play at the end of the first half.

• Safety Rodney McLeod getting trucked by Andre Williams in the middle of the field on a 45-yard run.

• Defensive end Eugene Sims earning still another roughing-the-passer penalty to fuel a Giants TD drive.

• Veteran defensive lineman Kendall Langford getting flagged for encroachment on a punt, extending a Giants possession that resulted in a field goal. “When you jump offsides on fourth and 3 when the defense is on the field and they have been told that they’re going to get a hard count and (they) disregard that and jump offsides, that is how you lose ballgames,” Fisher observed.

• Safety Mark Barron turning one way while Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. went the other on a laughably easy 80-yard touchdown reception.

On and on it went, one disaster after another. The Rams did some good things Sunday and showed promise of better things to come.

Kenny Britt had another big game at receiver. Running back Tre Mason hit the jets on outside runs and pounded out yardage inside. Tavon Austin flashed brilliance as a punt returner, receiver and runner.

But what fans will remember about this game — and the rest of the NFL will see once again on tape — will be the ill-timed mishaps that just keep coming.

Week after week, month after month, year after year this goes on. The Rams must break the pattern if they ever hope to see the high side of .500 again, be it here, Los Angeles, London, Bentonville or wherever Stan Kroenke’s new stadium may rise.

Fisher must establish, once and for all, that his franchise can play aggressively and smart at the same time. He must build teams that can play with passion and precision.

There are no excuses for such enduring failure after three years. Every team has injuries. Every team plays some young guys.

But not every team suffers such numbing, momentum-killing breakdowns again and again. That tendency has made the Rams unique in a league where quick team turnarounds abound.

“It’s unacceptable and it was bad,” defensive end Chris Long said.

“This business is about not being repeat offenders of the same mistakes,” Laurinaitis said.

“As I told them, we’re not going to go into the offseason with some of the mistakes we made today,” Fisher said.

“We’ve got a lot of stuff to correct,” Laurinaitis said.

“We need to come back next week and put out a better performance and go into the offseason knowing that we left a message and that we have a new team coming,” Mason said.

Yeah, well, we’ve heard all that before. Will it ever change?

Or will the Rams remain a muffed punt, personal foul, missed block and blown coverage just waiting to happen next Sunday, next year, the next millennium?

This is what fans wondered as they staggered out of the Edward Jones Dome after another disappointing home schedule ended.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
• A sailing Hill pass caroming off the hands of Tavon Austin for an interception.

• Another errant Wells snap disrupting at goal-line pass play at the end of the first half.

• Safety Rodney McLeod getting trucked by Andre Williams in the middle of the field on a 45-yard run.

How is Fisher responsible for those three fuck ups?

The ball was thrown high to Austin, and it just popped up.
Wells does this toooo many times, and he does need to be benched.
And McLeod should have made the tackle, again, not Fisher's fault.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boohoo Gordo. This just sounds like sour grapes reporting. "Our Rams will never be good again!" Sure the team made a lot of mistakes today. They played great in a few other games too. So which way do you want it? The Rams beat Denver soundly and they are up and coming or the Rams lose to a the Giants and they are miserable failures?

I think Fishers team lacks focus and comes out unprepared at times but I still see a team with some glaring holes that changes everything. The QB situation for starters. The Center and ORG are horrid. An offense that cannot stay on the field to spell the D. You could pick apart things about the Seahawks earlier in the year and say they were too lax, didn't play up to potential, the coach is not disciplined enough. Now look where they are.

I think what we are really witnessing is a team that fell out of the playoff hunt and came out flat. Once Arizona won 12 -6 some of the teams hopes were dashed. The offenses problems are not that they don't try, they are just not good enough. I had hoped they would play for 8 and 8 but they were not a good match up for the Giants. Especially on a day where they did not play their best. Now all we have to hope for is that they want to beat the Seahawks at home badly enough for the whole team to show up. But this Sky is falling reporting after a bad loss is lame.

fearsomefour

Legend
How is Fisher responsible for those three freak ups?

The ball was thrown high to Austin, and it just popped up.
Wells does this toooo many times, and he does need to be benched.
And McLeod should have made the tackle, again, not Fisher's fault.
Austin should have caught the pass....agree on Wells obviously....sometimes the other guy makes a play too....McLeod got trucked, ok, that wasn't a mistake really, he just got run over.

fearsomefour

Legend
"But not every team suffers such numbing, momentum-killing breakdowns again and again. That tendency has made the Rams unique in a league where quick team turnarounds abound."

The top teams in the NFL tend to be pretty consistent.
Saints didn't make it this year, Steelers did....yet again, Lions made it, SF did not....ok, he makes it sound like the league is littered with worst to first teams every year....outside of the NFL South that really is not the case.

fearsomefour

Legend
It gets old when writers keep tying the current frustrations to Linehan and Spags and previous FO that are not here now. We have all been Ram fans, we are very aware of the long down period....none of that has to do with this team or Fishers time in St. Louis.
You can't play it both ways...saying yes, it is better overall, but, that doesn't count because of the last decade. Silly.

"But not every team suffers such numbing, momentum-killing breakdowns again and again. That tendency has made the Rams unique in a league where quick team turnarounds abound."

Steelers, Denver, Patriots, Bengals, Colts, Seattle, SF, Green Bay, Saints (till this year)....the teams that have a shot have been pretty consistent over the last several years. He makes it sound like the league is littered with worst to first one year turn arounds everywhere but Ram-land. Just not the case....outside of the NFC South.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
When after 3 yrs and a large number of high draft picks you go 6-10 (barring a miracle) criticism is going to come. Regardless of the challenges faced. Let's face it, we should not be this bad. We've beaten Seattle with Austin Davis, we should have been able to handle the Cardinals and Giants with Shaun Hill. This isn't sky is falling reporting, it's reality. I'm a fan of Fisher's. But his teams have been flat in games that were important. Flat in the beginning of the season again. The Giants weren't playing for anything either, they weren't flat. I know that he's the one not dropping passes or getting burned but he's the HC. The penalties, the game plans, the rosters, those are on him. You have Jones, Barnes, and Person who sat in favor of Wells and Joseph. Either it's a mistake not to play them or we went into the season with 5 OL not able to play at an average level. Let's hope that we show up in Seattle and go into 2015 good, because from my perspective this criticism is warranted.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think Gordo sees the same shit we see. Can't find much fault with his assessment, honestly. It IS on Fisher to coach a more disciplined team. Who else if going to hold these players accountable when they get flagged for stupid shit all day? this team is not good enough to win with those penalties. THAT is on the coach. I am all about being aggressive and not allowing mouthy chumps like OBJ to talk trash all over our dome, but you have to...you know....COVER him once in a while. It is embarrassing as a fan to see JJ running his mouth when he is getting beat like a drum on double moves over and over again. Also, can someone tell Tavon that he doesn't have to run upfield staring at the crowd like a moron after every play where he gains positive yardage?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Mistakes and inconsistencies. I'm not sure what mindset this team needs... when they play with "swagger," they get killed because they act like imbeciles. When they play with "humility," they get killed because they roll over and let the other team whomp 'em.

When they succeed is when they play with something between "quiet confidence" and "swagger" - like they believe they're going to win but don't feel like they have to tell the world or their opponents. That seems to be what they had against Oakland and Washington. Then they blew the doors off and went into full-blown "swagger" mode.

They play best when they believe they're going to win but don't believe they can't lose.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Right now this just looks like a really stupid football team. And you can't win with stupid in the NFL.

Athos

Legend
I despise the PD and every single one of its writers but Hummel and Matter who don't even cover the Rams.

But damned if he isn't right.

We HAVE had lots of early picks, lots of picks in general, and 2 1st rounders 3 years running and absolutely nothing to show for it in the win/loss column. I get we don't have a QB the last two seasons really....but shit is getting out of control and seeing these players lose their emotions like bratty children with no repercussions.....that's on Fisher.

As are all the stupid mental mistakes made week to week. All the same.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
2-6 at home. Forget about playing in the division earn homefield advantage first. I like Fisher a lot but Ive always felt excessive penalties were a coaching issue as well as the undisciplined play. I understand why our offense is so inconsistent but the defense has no excuse for that performance yesterday. Oh well at least my expectations are fairly low for next week and beyond.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Right now this just looks like a really stupid football team. And you can't win with stupid in the NFL.

Almost like watching the Pro Bowl game. All talent no cohesion.

I remember during Seahawks week before someone who I can't remember made a comment that the Rams are full of great talent as individuals but suck as a team. Some games that guy looks dead on. And that's on the coaching staff.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have to again quote the great Jimmy Johnson when he said "just hit me in the head with a hammer if I ever take another stupid player" to describe what I see with this Rams team.