Gordon: Hapless Rams set ominous tone for season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Gordon: Hapless Rams set ominous tone for season

• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_8380951e-bf4f-585b-845f-96b0ebc40ad9.html

The Rams had to beat the Minnesota Vikings to have any chance of meaningful success this season.

And they failed horribly. The Rams made one mind-boggling mental and physical mistake after another, earning 121 yards in penalties while stumbling to a stunning 34-6 loss.

"It seemed throughout the game that different players took turns making drive-killing mistakes or allowing drives to continue," Rams coach Jeff Fisher lamented afterward.

The Vikings -- a team clearly not destined for greatness this season -- wore them down in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Why couldn't the Rams run?

"They're pretty stout up front," Fisher said of the Vikings. "You have to get in a rhythm and we didn't get in a rhythm. Penalties took us out of the run game. We just never got started."

Why couldn't the Rams stop the run?

"There are things that just should not happen," Fisher said. "Losing the edge on defense . . . now the physical things, the matchups and some of the missed tackles with Adrian (Peterson), I can see that, but some of the other things make no sense."

And . . .

"We felt like we were in pretty good position, we just didn't execute."

The Shaun Hill Era lasted just one half, thanks to what Fisher termed a quadriceps muscle strain. Former camp arm Austin Davis replaced him at quarterback with predictably disastrous results.

Not until garbage time did Davis find any rhythm. Only when the Vikings fell back into prevent coverage did he start playing pitch and catch with his targets.

"Obviously he was disappointed with the interception returned for a touchdown," Fisher said. "There were a few other opportunities where he needed to throw the ball away and have a shot for a field goal, and he took a sack."

Offensive lineman Greg Robinson spent much of the game on the bench. Running back Tre Mason watched the game in street clothes as an inactive player.

So much for this vaunted 2014 NFL Draft class.

We could go on and on about all the terrible stuff that happened in this game, but you get the idea. The only way Sunday could have been worse is if more key players suffered serious injuries.

So what happens now? How can the Rams come back from something this horrendous?

"I told the team this is not going to define our season," Fisher said.

Yeah, well, don't be so sure about that. This full-scale collapse in the season opener -- at home, against a middling opponent -- sets an negative tone that will be hard to break against a daunting schedule.

The NFC West is as brutal as ever, as the Seahawks and 49ers demonstrated while flexing muscle in Week 1. Meanwhile in their opener, the Rams looked as pitiful as they ever have since moving to St. Louis.

That is a really low bar to meet, but against all odds the Rams got there.

"It's just the opener," Fisher said bravely. "It's unfortunate that it ended the way it did here at home with the enthusiasm that our fans brought to the game."

Unfortunate is one word that describes it. We can think of more graphic terminology, but decorum prevents us from sharing it here.

"I think we did some great things today, but we've definitely got a little ways to go," linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Yeah, the distance between Rams and Seahawks could be measured in light years.

"We have a long season ahead of us and a good football team," Davis said. "We didn't show that tonight but we have a good football team."

Well, actually you don't have a good football team. Good football teams don't play like that. Terrible teams play like that.

Perhaps the Rams can become somewhat respectable by season's end, but even that is going to take some work.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He lost me when he wrote this:

So much for this vaunted 2014 NFL Draft class.

They didn't lose this game because those guys didn't start or play much.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

RFIP

This looks like a bad, BAD team to me. Just giving my honest opinion, GREAT teams may not play high draft picks and let them season for a year but poor teams HAVE TO have their top guys play and PLAY WELL.

GRob and Mason weren't the reason the Rams lost today, they are just a microcosm of why they lost.

RamGal

UDFA
He lost me when he wrote this:

They didn't lose this game because those guys didn't start or play much.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The point isn't that they lost the game. The point is that 2 of the top 3 picks of a highly regarded draft class didn't start the game. For a team that needed a good injection of new talent to close the gap between itself and SF/Seattle this does not bode well.

AZRamsFan93

His article expresses many of the same thoughts I have. I agree with most of it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The point isn't that they lost the game. The point is that 2 of the top 3 picks of a highly regarded draft class didn't start the game. For a team that needed a good injection of new talent to close the gap between itself and SF/Seattle this does not bode well.

Anyone who thinks you can say "so much" for this draft class after one game is indeed stupid. And that's factoring in that they didn't start today.

As I noted on another thread, 4/5 of the OL that started today started for much of last season, including after Bradford went down and opened plenty of holes for Zac Stacy, including a dominating performance against the Seahawks vaunted DL at home. The other 1/5 of today's starting OL was a former pro bowler. The fact that those guys didn't get it done today has nothing to do with our draft class of 2014.

Cydekikk

UDFA
Most pathetic display in a home season-opener by ANY Ram team I can remember... I was EMBARRASSED to be wearing my Rams jersey at the sports bar where I watched the game... Man, what a long season it's going to be.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
As I noted on another thread, 4/5 of the OL that started today started for much of last season, including after Bradford went down and opened plenty of holes for Zac Stacy, including a dominating performance against the Seahawks vaunted DL at home. The other 1/5 of today's starting OL was a former pro bowler. The fact that those guys didn't get it done today has nothing to do with our draft class of 2014.

And that 4/5th are another year older and injured to boot. Also the 1/5th was let go from his last team for a reason and you could see it today.
I thought that the play calling was bad too but it was hard to tell as the line didn't block anyone.