Gordon: Fans Hope Schottenheimer Leaves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jeff Gordon
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

qkGy2xV.jpg

Many, many Rams fans want offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to get the head coaching job at Vanderbilt. They are on his side for a change.

This move would force them to find another whipping boy, but fans are willing to pay that price to refresh the Rams offense.

Schottenheimer gets the Pat Shurmur Treatment week after week in the Rams Talk forum and in our various live chats. He takes the fall for everything this side of global warming.

Every failed play was a terrible call. Every three-and-out offensive possession was his personal responsibility.

Some fans believe the Rams were poised to unleash an epic offensive fury on the NFL this season. They believe the Rams were prepared to make scoreboards explode with rapid-fire touchdown strikes – only to see Schottenheimer stifle that awesome attack with his pedestrian game-planning and play-calling.

In this corner of cyberspace, the sloppy execution of the Rams offense was always a bigger concern than the Xs and Os. Listless route-running, missed blitz reads, passes caroming off the bodies of unresponsive receivers, pre-snap penalties galore . . . this is what happens when a team enters a season with many prospects but no proven playmakers.

Football experts found plenty to hate about Schottenheimer’s scheming. Refuting such criticism is impossible, given unit’s poor production. Results are results.

The bigger concern, though, was the halting development of so many skill position players. Tavon Austin belatedly made an impact before suffering a season-ending injury. Zac Stacy eventually emerged as a viable feature back andStedman Bailey finally became a reliable possession receiver late in the season.

Tight end Jared Cook flashed his potential here and there, but never became a consistent force. Chris Givens surfaced on occasion, but Brian Quick remained virtually invisible in the passing game.

Should the coaching staff have done a better job developing those players? Or are some of those guys hopelessly flawed and destined to wash out of the league, Mardy Gilyard-like?

That is one of the great debates with this organization.

The Rams made little progress this season. Their red zone efficiency improved before Sam Bradford’s injury.

Their shift back to a ground-and-pound approach was generally successful. The team won some games with scatter-armed Kellen Clemens at quarterback, which is no small feat.

(In Schottenheimer’s previous gig, he won a lot of games with disaster-prone Mark Sanchez playing quarterback for the Jets. Again, that was no small feat.)

The Rams could build on their 2013 gains by shoring up the injury-battered offensive line, returning Bradford to good health, drafting a developmental quarterback with real upside and adding an established wide receiver.

Fans would prefer more dramatic change, which is why they demanded Schottenheimer’s firing morning, noon and night, week after week, month after month.

But as Rams fans have seen, changing coordinators is seldom a magic wand solution.

The Shurmur Era ended when he moved on to the Cleveland Browns as head coach. He struggled in that role, too, largely because he had terrible players.

The Rams tried to open up the offense by hiring offensive mastermind Josh McDaniels to replace Shurmur. Trouble was, they lacked viable downfield passing threats and an offensive line sturdy enough to protect the seven-step drop back.

McDaniels failed spectacularly. He returned home to New England, where he immediately regained his genius label while overseeing better talent.

(He recently backed out of the Cleveland Browns head coaching search, probably because that franchise has terrible players.)

Now the Schottenheimer Era could end with his ascension to head coaching. The Vanderbilt job would be a lot like the Browns job for Shurmur, an uphill fight.

IMO, the Rams coordinator’s job for 2014 offers Schottenheimer a better opportunity to advance his career. The team has a more realistic offensive scheme for the talent in place on both sides of the ball.

Stacy, Austin and Bailey appear to be much better players than Isaiah Pead, Quick and Givens.

But Vanderbilt would give Schottenheimer a chance to succeed or fail on his own merits. He would ultimately be responsible for his personnel.

Given his experiences at Rams Park, that must have some serious appeal.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ah I doubt Shotty pays much attention to what the fans think probably has known better from the time he was a pup.

I don't mind, I probably like him more than most, but I'm also wrong about most things, so who knows :cray:.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
We cannot afford to continue to stifle Sams development with new co-ordinators. He might not be Mike Martz but Schotty did a good job with a lot of raw talent last season, despite some injuries. I'm fucking praying he stays. The best teams have consistency at coaching positions, this is not rocket science.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think he and Sam can stay, and we can still have a playoff caliber offense. The problem is, the Rams have to start adding talent accordingly. Neither is going to change. Sam and him both benefit from a strong running/PA game. Having a rock wall in front of Sam wouldn't hurt either. Though it obviously needs more pieces, adding a top 5-10 defense is obviously a priority as it should be so you can scratch that off the list.

What are the Rams going to do if he leaves btw? Hire an exotic college offensive play caller and start letting Sam run no huddle? Please.

On a side note... Who was happy when Shurmur left?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I like Schotty, I thought the offense was coming along and if Bradford doesn't get hurt would be even better. I also hope he stays, if he gets the give at Vandy then I hope someone of his philosophy takes over, like Norv Turner

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I like Schotty, I thought the offense was coming along and if Bradford doesn't get hurt would be even better. I also hope he stays, if he gets the give at Vandy then I hope someone of his philosophy takes over, like Norv Turner

It was. Sam and the play calling started to change in the SF game, came full circle next week against Jacksonville and stayed that way until he got hurt. They found their groove, and it really, really fucking sucks that he got injured because we were finally starting to see what we could have. You can say, "Well Jacksonville and Houstons defenses suck," but that wasn't it. Sam was looking down field more, improvising , and definitely was not being as conservative. Stacy was emerging as the playmaker we all know now, and making a difference. Schottenheimer was finally opening up the playbook.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Another article based off of the PD forums. Schotty had some really poorly called games and some excellent ones, too. I think he did a pretty fair job, overall. Fisher stepping in really helped.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My vote: "stay"

I wish I saw more creativity, like some opposing offenses. But he's a good coordinator.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
My vote: "stay"

I wish I saw more creativity, like some opposing offenses. But he's a good coordinator.

He just needs to consult with Holgorsen with how to use Tavon and Stedman. I think we saw some of that in the second half of the season with using Austin in motion more to free him from Jams at the line.

We do need more than reverses and screens to the young man, though. We need some of those damn pick routes that other teams use against man coverage.

Alan

Legend
Schotty was forced to try and overcome many difficulties that were beyond his control. I won't bother enumerating them all because we all know what they were. He failed to overcome many of them and I'm not sure that a different OC would have fared much better.

But, that doesn't change the fact that there were way too many head scratchers on play calls and game planning deficiencies during the season. His inability to design plays that would take complete advantage of the skill sets of our players being the the worst IMO. The lack of progress made by many of our players was also troubling. Although I hesitate to put the blame for that on his shoulders. The bottom line for me is that while he may not have sucked big time like Shurmer and McD, he sure didn't shine either. If Fisher is satisfied with mediocrity then we should try and keep him.

I compare his performance to Dunbar. It wasn't bad but replacing him is one of my low level priorities.