Gordon: Can Rams work their way out of this mess?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: Can Rams work their way out of this mess?
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_83b2adb4-cde3-5889-8fc5-917bd091d35b.html

After three years under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead, the Rams have better talent and more competitive zeal than they exhibited during the final days of the sorry Steve Spagnuolo Era.

So there's that.

But the Rams are still playing losing football 48 games into this misadventure, so Fisher must step back and reconsider everything the operation does every single day.

Why are the Rams such a sloppy mess? While can't they line up correctly, block and tackle consistently well and take care of the football?

Why do they blow pass coverage, blow pass protections and mindlessly earn stupid penalties on top of stupid penalties?

Players come and go. Some assistant coaches come and go. And yet the familiar problems remain, cropping up at the most inopportune times.

Spagnuolo faced similar challenges and responded by firing blameless support staffers. Not surprisingly, that strategy failed and the losses mounted.

Fisher has been around the NFL forever so we assume he will come up with something better. Or will he?

In Year 3 under Fisher the Rams still could not play with discipline and precision. They couldn't execute the simplest plays with the necessary consistency.

The Rams put the work in, day after day, month after month, and yet in Week 17 the quarterback misses the ground with a spike attempt, a running back fumbles away a touchdown reaching for the pylon, a tight end lets a pass squirt through his hands for a "pick six", a cornerback wanders away from still another coverage assignment . . . on and on it went as another potential victory slipped away.

The team can't just cut players who make big mistakes because there would be nobody left to play the games. The Rams served up penalty machine Ray Ray Armstrong as the Sacrificial Knucklehead but his dismissal did nothing to change things.

So Fisher must change the culture of failure at Rams Park, once and for all, or face the possibility of finishing out his excellent football career in a TV studio or broadcast booth.

Effort is not enough. Competitive heart is not enough. Physical toughness is not enough.

Those qualities have been evident under Fisher's Rams, but they didn't translate to success because they have remained a breakdown waiting to occur.

The Rams will have another opportunity to clear out spent veterans and free up salary cap space. They will have a every chance to upgrade their battered offensive line in the NFL Draft.

They could get better at quarterback by bringing injury-prone Sam Bradford back (with crossed fingers) and/or by seeking upgrades via free agency, a trade and the draft.

Perhaps they could toss offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to the angry mobs and find somebody to draw more exotic Xs and Os.

But none of that will matter if the Rams don't redouble, re-triple and re-quadruple their commitment to doing everything on the football field correctly, every single time. The Rams must develop a winning program, a strict way of operating that remains the same no matter which players get hurt or move on.

Some how, some way they must shed the sloppiness that has become the franchise trademark, replacing the far more entertaining "Greatest Show on Turf" persona.

You see the impact good and bad coaching makes at every level of sports. Some CYC recreation teams run like clockwork while some big budget select squads sputter.

Some small high schools with modest means maximize their meager talent while some big high schools with athletic armies flounder.

Some college coaches succeed at every level, regardless of circumstances, while others manage to waste prime talent and opportunities.

The Seattle Seahawks keep developing middle-round picks into effective players while winning year after year. Meanwhile, the Rams convert a mother lode of prime draft picks into steady underachievement.

There is no easy fix here. Superficial change won't help. Fundamental change will take persistent and focused effort.

The Rams must concentrate on doing EVERY SINGLE THING correctly in physical conditioning, skill development, team drills, tactical preparation and game execution.

There is no short-cut out of this morass, just lots of work and tremendous attention to detail. Rams fans can only hope Fisher and his people will finally be up to the daunting challenge.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I agree. Biggest homer there is, but I'm getting tired of the stupid shit as well.
Plain fact is, there is simply no leader on the Offense, period.
5 illegal procedure penalties is inexcusable, 12th man or no.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What he says right at the end is potentially one way of going about it - changing a mentality by ensuring ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING is done perfectly. In the film room, locker room, weight room, meetings, in the f-ing car park in the morning, in the hot tub, in the ice bath, with their timekeeping, when they brush their teeth in the morning....etc...etc. That means that every single player and every single coach knows that everything possible is being done to win, all the time - and that mistakes in even the most minute thing will not be tolerated - because that ways a slippery slope. That's why the military make guys make their beds perfectly in basic training - or polish their boots right. Because it eventually might save lives on the battlefield because they will know that they have to be perfect every second of every day in everything they do.

That and some more talent in the draft...lets load up on picks. We need to get back a 4th and a 6th!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's harsh (what was written)... but I think it's true.

It all comes down to executing on a consistent basis and not putting yourself behind the 8 ball (because this team can't overcome that).

In Fisher's first year, I was concerned about these things.

In his second year, I was upset.

This year, I was mad more than not.

If the talent is there... then it's got to be coaching, no?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
"Gordo" reminds me of that kid that always screams to get attention. The Rams will continue their business the way they do. As it should be. They aren't gonna "change everything NOW MOAR!!!!!" because "Gordo" has now decreed it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Does Jeff need to bring in another assistant who can help inculcate a military-type precision within the org? I always loved the MAXQ concept Martz instilled.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the way forward is obvious.

The Rams are set on defense and special teams. Next year they will be very good in both phases from the first game, we don't have to worry about the defense again since we'll have GW through another entire camp getting these guys playing more and more consistently. Still, though, it is clear to my eyes at least that over the latter half of the season the Rams have a legitimate playoff defense and special teams unit.

The offense needs to be blown the F up. All the coaches on that side of the ball from Schotty on down need evaluation and some of them will inevitably be let go after Fish brings in a new OC. The running game and receiving talent is there. Where the Rams are lacking is their creative ability to dictate to defenses through scheme, and their inability to execute the power running game Fish wants up front. Changes need to be made, enough with the excuses. Need to have the right guys in place when they bring in the rest of the offensive pieces needed this offseason and draft.

The upgrade from last year's DC to this year's DC is a perfect example of the importance of loading a truly high end creative mind at the top of your unit coaching tree. GW runs that defense like a head coach, he is a great teacher and gameplanner, one of the best in the league. Once Fish upgrades the offensive side the same way he will be good to go.

And again if he brings back Schotty I am certain this whole regime will fail and Fish will be fired after this next season. Hope I don't get to find out if I'm right on that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This will be you @Robocop if you actually do decide to wait HAHAHA

64431_skeleton-at-desk_1.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the way forward is obvious.

The Rams are set on defense and special teams. Next year they will be very good in both phases from the first game, we don't have to worry about the defense again since we'll have GW through another entire camp getting these guys playing more and more consistently. Still, though, it is clear to my eyes at least that over the latter half of the season the Rams have a legitimate playoff defense and special teams unit.

The offense needs to be blown the F up. All the coaches on that side of the ball from Schotty on down need evaluation and some of them will inevitably be let go after Fish brings in a new OC. The running game and receiving talent is there. Where the Rams are lacking is their creative ability to dictate to defenses through scheme, and their inability to execute the power running game Fish wants up front. Changes need to be made, enough with the excuses. Need to have the right guys in place when they bring in the rest of the offensive pieces needed this offseason and draft.

The upgrade from last year's DC to this year's DC is a perfect example of the importance of loading a truly high end creative mind at the top of your unit coaching tree. GW runs that defense like a head coach, he is a great teacher and gameplanner, one of the best in the league. Once Fish upgrades the offensive side the same way he will be good to go.

And again if he brings back Schotty I am certain this whole regime will fail and Fish will be fired after this next season. Hope I don't get to find out if I'm right on that.

I agree with a lot of this Merlin, but I will differ on Fisher getting fired. He's going to get the 5 years, that's just how SK operates, look at the Nuggets and Avalanche, he doesn't do the coaching carousel thing. Though he may drop some hints about opening up the O lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams must concentrate on doing EVERY SINGLE THING correctly in physical conditioning, skill development, team drills, tactical preparation and game execution.

There is no short-cut out of this morass, just lots of work and tremendous attention to detail. Rams fans can only hope Fisher and his people will finally be up to the daunting challenge.
Gee. What a revelation. They need to pay attention to detail?

Know what else they need? They need to stop, over the course of a 5 year span, having 2 head coaches, 3 offensive coordinators, 3 defensive coordinators, 2 roster turnovers, and injuries to their QBs, backup QBs, offensive lines and receivers. That would be a good jumping off point. And before one of you tells me that the Cardinals were able to do it, you can just stop that nonsense right now. Last year the Rams were a couple of plays away from being a 9-7 team, and the Cardinals were a couple of plays away from being 8-8. Same thing this year, though the Rams could arguably have been even better with sustained QB play. The Cardinals were 6-0 with Palmer, 5-5 without. No way the Cardinals beat the Rams this year without us gifting them turnovers either (14-10 until midway thru the 4th qtr the first game). That's on coaching? No, it's not. The only way to stop players from making mistakes is to drill, and that's what they do. The other alternative is to bench players for mistakes, and they do that too.

There's just no way this coaching staff sees a turnover happen on the field and says, "Shit. We should teach them how to avoid that. We'd reinvent coaching entirely!" Get a healthy QB, get some continuity on both sides of the ball, and win some freaking games like other teams do. By being gifted touchdowns, eliminating your own turnovers, and by getting some bounces that go your way once in a while. Or. Just blow it all up again because the W/L record doesn't reflect anything other than W's and L's.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Overall a good read but one problem is he references Seattle, and if you look at what NFL team leads in penalties, it's Seattle. Not just total penalties, but the shining examples of stupid penalties, the Seahawks have the most false starts and defensive offsides. So not exactly the example for the value of the little things.

I like RaminExile's post about discipline in the little things, like team meetings, etc. That's the way I'd like a team run. But the part in the article asking why don't they block & tackle consistently, that's not just discipline, that's also a player's heart. Yes you need the discipline to rep the technique a billion times, but you need players with the character to know why those hours of reps of fundamentals are so important, and know that final 1% effort on that block that nobody notices is the difference between a good run and a great TD, and done a thousand times adds up to a winning year versus a loser.

I don't think that character can be coached. It can be emphasized and stressed over and over, but it has to come from within players themselves. The Rams either don't spot that inside players they obtain, or they don't value it enough, or because of the dire rebuild circumstances when the regime came in they had to make it a secondary priority. Or maybe it's just so hard to spot it comes down to luck. But you can see it lacking on the field. You can see there needs to be more leadership and football IQ. They obtained exceptional freak athletes that could be great football players but not guys that have that rare football character.

Not to throw just him under the bus, but Janoris Jenkins is a great example of Rams character. All the talent in the world, big play ability, and even football IQ (arguably?) in kicking the ball away so that the defense could get set up in time -- but then also obviously didn't put the work in over the offseason to stop biting on fakes, or not enough film study, and gives up a TD with 20 seconds left, etc... So do you move on without a Jenkins, or do you put up with the undisciplined mistakes that are going to happen in the hope they are exceeded by the great ability in the final equation?

Obviously you're never going to get 100% discipline, you just need enough leadership, and it has to come from the players ultimately. I think that the latest crop of new Rams (Donald, Gaines) is showing more discipline and character attributes than just the freak athlete types of the previous years. Hopefully they grow into the leaders that teams need to become great.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
The Seattle Seahawks keep developing middle-round picks into effective players while winning year after year. Meanwhile, the Rams convert a mother lode of prime draft picks into steady underachievement.

There is no easy fix here. Superficial change won't help. Fundamental change will take persistent and focused effort. The Rams must concentrate on doing EVERY SINGLE THING correctly in physical conditioning, skill development, team drills, tactical preparation and game execution.

This is pretty much what I was trying to convey around week 5 this season. Fisher lacks something very important. It's hard to put your finger on it, or give it a name. But it's there (or actually, NOT there) with Fisher. He's the top dog on this team so this all goes back to him. Teams are a personification of their coaches. Fisher is not instilling discipline or attention to very simple, basic football techniques and "smarts." I've seen SO many blown assignments on our Oline that let a defender run absolutely free to the QB or RB. I've seen way to many passes dropped. I've seen crazy blown coverages with the defense. Yeah there are more coaches than Fisher on the team I know, but in the end he hired them all and is responsible for what those coaches do, and the product they give him.

I don't know how this will end but I just don't have confidence in Fisher to get us to the promised land. I wish I did, because coaching changes are usually not a good thing.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Who pissed in Gordons' Cheerios?
He's been on a roll lately.

Yes. We need to be more disciplined. I think we all get it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that character can be coached. It can be emphasized and stressed over and over, but it has to come from within players themselves. The Rams either don't spot that inside players they obtain, or they don't value it enough, or because of the dire rebuild circumstances when the regime came in they had to make it a secondary priority. Or maybe it's just so hard to spot it comes down to luck. But you can see it lacking on the field. You can see there needs to be more leadership and football IQ. They obtained exceptional freak athletes that could be great football players but not guys that have that rare football character.

Not to throw just him under the bus, but Janoris Jenkins is a great example of Rams character. All the talent in the world, big play ability, and even football IQ (arguably?) in kicking the ball away so that the defense could get set up in time -- but then also obviously didn't put the work in over the offseason to stop biting on fakes, or not enough film study, and gives up a TD with 20 seconds left, etc... So do you move on without a Jenkins, or do you put up with the undisciplined mistakes that are going to happen in the hope they are exceeded by the great ability in the final equation?

Obviously you're never going to get 100% discipline, you just need enough leadership, and it has to come from the players ultimately. I think that the latest crop of new Rams (Donald, Gaines) is showing more discipline and character attributes than just the freak athlete types of the previous years. Hopefully they grow into the leaders that teams need to become great.

I think Jenkins is a good example of what was the prototypical draft pick in the first two years under Snead and (probably moreso) Fisher.

Truly gifted athletic specimens.

Character? I'd say no.

Intelligence? I'd say no.

So, while he (Jenkins) can make truly spectacular plays relying on his God-given physical talent, he can give up huge plays because he's either not thinking "team" (character issue) or getting outsmarted.

Physical talent only gets you so far, IMO.

I agree about some of last year's picks (Donald, Gaines)... I see a difference in those guys... I see more "team" in them and I see
"inteligence" in how they play.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Gee. What a revelation. They need to pay attention to detail?

Know what else they need? They need to stop, over the course of a 5 year span, having 2 head coaches, 3 offensive coordinators, 3 defensive coordinators, 2 roster turnovers, and injuries to their QBs, backup QBs, offensive lines and receivers. That would be a good jumping off point. And before one of you tells me that the Cardinals were able to do it, you can just stop that nonsense right now. Last year the Rams were a couple of plays away from being a 9-7 team, and the Cardinals were a couple of plays away from being 8-8. Same thing this year, though the Rams could arguably have been even better with sustained QB play. The Cardinals were 6-0 with Palmer, 5-5 without. No way the Cardinals beat the Rams this year without us gifting them turnovers either (14-10 until midway thru the 4th qtr the first game). That's on coaching? No, it's not. The only way to stop players from making mistakes is to drill, and that's what they do. The other alternative is to bench players for mistakes, and they do that too.

There's just no way this coaching staff sees a turnover happen on the field and says, "crap. We should teach them how to avoid that. We'd reinvent coaching entirely!" Get a healthy QB, get some continuity on both sides of the ball, and win some freaking games like other teams do. By being gifted touchdowns, eliminating your own turnovers, and by getting some bounces that go your way once in a while. Or. Just blow it all up again because the W/L record doesn't reflect anything other than W's and L's.

>>Get a healthy QB, get some continuity on both sides of the ball, and win some freaking games like other teams do.<<

But isn't that
This is pretty much what I was trying to convey around week 5 this season. Fisher lacks something very important. It's hard to put your finger on it, or give it a name. But it's there (or actually, NOT there) with Fisher. He's the top dog on this team so this all goes back to him. Teams are a personification of their coaches. Fisher is not instilling discipline or attention to very simple, basic football techniques and "smarts." I've seen SO many blown assignments on our Oline that let a defender run absolutely free to the QB or RB. I've seen way to many passes dropped. I've seen crazy blown coverages with the defense. Yeah there are more coaches than Fisher on the team I know, but in the end he hired them all and is responsible for what those coaches do, and the product they give him.

I don't know how this will end but I just don't have confidence in Fisher to get us to the promised land. I wish I did, because coaching changes are usually not a good thing.

Sometimes it just takes a different type of HC, in this case perhaps someone closer to a "Tuna" type, or at least someone who doesn't readily accept the stupid penalties week after week and season after season with the response-explanation of "we'll fix that"... as one small example. I have questioned for some time whether Fisher is the type (however defined) of coach to "get them there." I'm a long time fan of his, but his 20 year record is not encouraging.

I don't expect for a minute that Fisher will be moving on, at least not for 2 more years. Sadly, I do anticipate that this team will continue to struggle with the same types of issues. Honestly, was this season much different than last year when it came to missed opportunities, sloppy play, poor execution, untimely penalties, etc.? Is it realistic to believe that plugging in new blood along the "O" line will solve anything? Won't that unit just become the latest & newest with its own set of issues?

"Round and round they go, where they land, nobody knows"
.....the Rams appear to be the "Groundhog Day" equivalent.

But we're used to that already, aren't we?