Goodell says NFL could eliminate kickoffs for 4th & 15 play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... s/1751289/

usa-today-logo_tiny.jpg

3:56PM EST December 6. 2012 - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is the subject of a cover profile in this week's issue of TIME that focuses on his mission to make football safer.

The Sean Gregory piece is receiving much attention, most notably for a unique idea Goodell brought up about eliminating kickoffs. The magazine describes the potential rule change in a summary of Gregory's piece (which is not yet available to non-subscribers):

TIME sat in on meeting between Goodell and Rich McKay, head of the NFL's powerful competition committee. [hil]Goodell brought up a proposal promoted by Greg Schiano, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: after a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth-and-15. The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession, or punt. If you go for it and fall short, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, punts would replace kickoffs, and punts are less susceptible to violent collisions than kickoffs.[/hil]

It's purposefully vague. The excerpt doesn't say whether it would be a free kick — like after a safety — or a regular punt. Wouldn't the former bring about the same violent collisions as kickoffs, given the lack of blocking on the line of scrimmage? The latter allows for defenses to try and block a punt, which seems unfair.

Schiano's idea is crazy enough to work but feels too crazy to implement, for now at least. It's gimmicky. The NFL rarely ventures into such terrain. The revamped overtimes are a prime example. Goodell and the owners wanted no part of a college overtime system, preferring to keep the system as traditional as possible.

If the past is any indication, a change to the kickoff would be incremental. It's already started, with the recent decision to move the kicks back to the 35-yard line. Automatic touchbacks are a logical next step.

The NFL dips its toes. It doesn't cannonball into the pool.

But a change is coming. Kickoffs are too reckless to keep and too easy to abandon. New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has already stated that he believes the kicks will be eliminated one day. The league appears to agree. You think it's an accident Goodell brought this up in a meeting attended by a TIME reporter?

It'd be a great strategy. Float an idea from Schiano, a guy who's been in the NFL for 15 minutes and who's best known, at the moment, as the coach whose team pushes over opponents lined up in the victory formation. Get people talking about said idea. If it gains support, then go with it. If people don't like it (and I don't think they will), when a change eventually comes, that new rule won't feel as revolutionary as Schiano's proposal. It's classic expectations management.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Re: Goodell says NFL could eliminate kickoffs for 4th & 15 p

Booooooooooo!!!!!!!

I dislike that idea about as much as potentially getting rid of chop blocks

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

libertadrocks said:
Booooooooooo!!!!!!!

How come?

I can see the benefit. Laurinaitis once got a molar cracked trying to field an onside kick, and other players have been laid out (motionless) after an onside kick attempt. It's basically the same thing here. If you score, you get a chance to retain possession by gaining 15 yards. If you fail, you lose possession and the other team gets good field position. If you don't want to retain possession then punt it away. You still get returns, and because they're punts as opposed to kickoffs, chances are you get more returns than we saw up to this point. Punts from the 30 don't typically reach the endzone.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Ehhhh, not really a fan because then teams that don't have amazing offenses will be at a major disadvantage. A team might be able to chip away and get 15 yards after a few plays, but someone like New England will have a major advantage because they're able to do that much easier than a team that is more built to run.

Essentially it seems like another way to make NE better. Protect the QB, etc. Plus what happens if there's a PI or a personal foul? Automatic first down?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I would miss the excitement of the traditional kickoff.

What's next,,, Best out of 5 Rock-Paper-Scissors for extra points?

C'mon Man.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

bluecoconuts said:
Plus what happens if there's a PI or a personal foul? Automatic first down?
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

X said:
libertadrocks said:
Booooooooooo!!!!!!!

How come?

I can see the benefit. Laurinaitis once got a molar cracked trying to field an onside kick, and other players have been laid out (motionless) after an onside kick attempt. It's basically the same thing here. If you score, you get a chance to retain possession by gaining 15 yards. If you fail, you lose possession and the other team gets good field position. If you don't want to retain possession then punt it away. You still get returns, and because they're punts as opposed to kickoffs, chances are you get more returns than we saw up to this point. Punts from the 30 don't typically reach the endzone.

It's just another step towards trying to make the league more finesse/pass oriented. It is a major advantage for passing teams like NE, GB, DEN, IND etc and a disadvantage for running teams like us.

It also takes away the surprise on-side kick. The 2010 Saints SB onside kick was an all time memorable SB moment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

libertadrocks said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:
Booooooooooo!!!!!!!

How come?

It's just another step towards trying to make the league more finesse/pass oriented. It is a major advantage for passing teams like NE, GB, DEN, IND etc and a disadvantage for running teams like us.

It also takes away the surprise on-side kick. The 2010 Saints SB onside kick was an all time memorable SB moment.
Fair enough. :ww:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

bluecoconuts said:
Ehhhh, not really a fan because then teams that don't have amazing offenses will be at a major disadvantage. A team might be able to chip away and get 15 yards after a few plays, but someone like New England will have a major advantage because they're able to do that much easier than a team that is more built to run.

Essentially it seems like another way to make NE better. Protect the QB, etc. Plus what happens if there's a PI or a personal foul? Automatic first down?
They would only get one play (4th and 15). The only teams that would attempt that would be those who needed to retain possession.

They wouldn't be able to completely do away with kickoffs. What about the kickoff to start each half? And that creates a problem in principle. If there are only 2 kickoffs per game, how much practice time will teams spend on it? Which teams will get burned by not practicing enough?

I'm on the fence on this. Eliminating the opening kickoff seems like heresy.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame

Horrible idea. Stop messing up the league BADELL!