Goodell: NFL will “evaluate” Mexico, Germany, Brazil as game sites

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...evaluate-mexico-germany-brazil-as-game-sites/

Goodell: NFL will “evaluate” Mexico, Germany, Brazil as game sites
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 20, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjmtu1ytixntu1ntnlmjzhyznmotrjytixywm5ymew-e1432150634548.jpeg
Getty Images

The NFL plans to “evaluate” the prospect of playing games in Brazil, Germany and Mexico, Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday at the NFL’s spring meeting in San Francisco.

Speaking at a press conference at the conclusion of the meetings, Goodell said the league and owners had a “great discussion on Mexico, Germany and also into South America, so we’re very positive about that.”

The NFL staged a regular season game in Mexico in 2005 and has previously had exhibition games in Germany. It has never held a game in Brazil.

The league’s interest in Brazil, Germany and Mexico was previously known, with NFL Media’s Albert Breer reporting on the topic in March. Also, Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reported the NFL was weighing playing the 2017 Pro Bowl in Brazil. Goodell’s remarks Wednesday suggest the international expansion issue continues to be on the league’s radar.

Asked about the nature of the league’s interest in Germany and Mexico, Goodell shed some light on what was discussed at the spring meeting:

“Some of it was just on media coverage,” Goodell said Thursday, according to a transcript of his remarks from the NFL. “Particularly in Germany, we know there is some interest in playing a game over there. We know there is a renewed interest in playing a game in Mexico — a regular season game. I think we will evaluate that.

“There’s been some interest in playing a Pro Bowl in Rio. So we are going to evaluate all those. There’s a growing passion for our game on a global basis and we want to respond to it.

“We want to respond to it in the right way, in the right markets we think are a priority for us, so we can continue to grow this great game. We are excited about where we are. We are excited about the passion for our game and taking it to another level.”

FRO

Legend
But could care less about St Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, Oakland.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cue the cartels holding people hostage after games.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Suddenly,,, the Pro Bowl sounds like a place to have a guy's weekend trip.

Sadly,,, my wife would never buy that shit.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
NFL players, Ipanema beach and the favelas?

yeah... what could go wrong?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Weren't all but one of the NFL Europe teams German-based? I always thought it was a little unfair for the NFL to concentrate so much on London when NFL Europe suggested that Germany was the better choice.

Apparently the new Tottenham Hotspurs' (soccer team based in north London for those that don't know) stadium is going to have the changing rooms designed in such a way in terms of size that they can host NFL teams with a view to it (rather than Wembley) being the permanent home of any London team.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Weren't all but one of the NFL Europe teams German-based? I always thought it was a little unfair for the NFL to concentrate so much on London when NFL Europe suggested that Germany was the better choice.

Apparently the new Tottenham Hotspurs' (soccer team based in north London for those that don't know) stadium is going to have the changing rooms designed in such a way in terms of size that they can host NFL teams with a view to it (rather than Wembley) being the permanent home of any London team.

http://www.footballdb.com/nfl-europe/ There were a couple of other teams outside Germany. Amsterdam, Cologne, Barcelona, Scotland, England (London)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The Estadio Azteca is a huge stadium. It holds what....upwards of 100k people. To me, it makes more sense to flesh out the rest of this hemisphere before moving to Europe. But, I understand the allure of London, with it being the only other Alpha ++ city in the world.

The only bad thing about Mexican fans is, well the fans. They are a rabid fanbase when it comes to soccer. I wonder how long it would take for them to develop that same taste for blood in gridiron football.

For reference, check out this picture of Landon Donovan with the riot shields protecting him during a corner kick. That must be an intense feeling.

landon-donovan.jpg

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
How about some consideration for the fans who lose a home game. I don't think it's fair to them. If they want to do exhibition games there then fine, but it really hurts the fans. Also, it takes away the advantage that home teams get by playing at home. It's like they get to play 7 home games and 9 away games.

V3

Hall of Fame
Cue the cartels holding people hostage after games.
If I'm being honest, If I were a player, I would refuse to play for any team in South America. I'd rather lose out on millions than have to worry about my family being held for ransom and all the other organised crime. Players buying armored vehicles would actually finally be a sound investment if they played down there.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think it's reached the point that the NFL needs to start looking into buying their own supersonic jets to help with all these long distance away games.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(from Chris W ) For reference, check out this picture of Landon Donovan with the riot shields protecting him during a corner kick. That must be an intense feeling.

what i notice is that @ 1 o'clock there are two good sized drinks about to douse Senor Donovan.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
(from Chris W ) For reference, check out this picture of Landon Donovan with the riot shields protecting him during a corner kick. That must be an intense feeling.

what i notice is that @ 1 o'clock there are two good sized drinks about to douse Senor Donovan.

Also, Mexican fans LOVE laser pointers.

20150423-104057-g.jpg

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Laser pointers and throwing things at players...

Yeah, who says hooliganism is for English soccer fans?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Laser pointers and throwing things at players...

Yeah, who says hooliganism is for English soccer fans?

That's nothing. There were fans in a Central American country who literally beheaded a ref after a game. And Goodell wants to put the NFL in Mexico and Brazil? Is he out of his fucking mind?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Pretty sure that was Columbia, iirc. I vaguely recall that.

Goodell should keep NFL teams to the First World. And that's not an insult. It's legal, economic and security based.

In countries with issues like Mexico and Brazil, there is tremendous incentive to kidnap, so much so that companies have ESTABLISHED guidelines and policies on how to deal with kidnappings.

The NFL doesn't travel like the World Cup where security is heightened like crazy and thus, an incident would only be a matter of time.

Would there be a lot of money to be made in Mexico City or Rio de Janeiro, but the risk outweighs any profits and that's the bottom line.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know why we're so set on expanding the brand to a global level. Well, yes I do, but that's beside the point. Can't we just keep Football here and let everyone else enjoy their own 2nd rate sports though? Y'all make enough money. Don't get stupid.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don't know why we're so set on expanding the brand to a global level. Well, yes I do, but that's beside the point. Can't we just keep Football here and let everyone else enjoy their own 2nd rate sports though? Y'all make enough money. Don't get stupid.

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

It's an act of compassion. Can you imagine a world where all you have is soccer? No wonder they're so pissed off all the time.